As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My Computer Is A Buttface [Power Cuts on 30 Minute Timer]

2»

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    since i have this stupid massive cpu cooling fan that i probably don't need

will i need to reapply thermal paste when i dismantle the rig and put in the new motherboard or should it be fine with what's already on there?

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    You'll have to clean off and reapply the thermal paste. Once the heatsink comes off the CPU (which will need to happen to get it off the motherboard) it's basically no good.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    if it still doesn't work, I dunno, flip some tables or something

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    cool deal

thanks fellas

• Options
    new mobo installed

passed the 30 minute mark

woohoo

stinks it's not really a solution but it solves the problem

thanks for all the help peeps

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    well it solved the problem of a borked mobo

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    So, just because curiosity: what failing about the mobo would be able to cause a problem this precise?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    So, just because curiosity: what failing about the mobo would be able to cause a problem this precise?

yeah, no idea

i have seen a bunch of help threads around the internet with the same problem (and no actual solution) though

it's weird

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    some bug is causing the internal clock to hit 30 minutes and power down

logically, this would be something telling it to turn off at 12:30am since it resets the internal clock each time

you may have been able to temporarily solve the problem by turning the BIOS clock to 31 minutes after wherever it resets and see if it stays on for 23 hours 29 minutes

beep boop i'm a computer

• Options
    interesting

if i had a spare cpu lying around i might test that out for funsies

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    some bug is causing the internal clock to hit 30 minutes and power down

logically, this would be something telling it to turn off at 12:30am since it resets the internal clock each time

you may have been able to temporarily solve the problem by turning the BIOS clock to 31 minutes after wherever it resets and see if it stays on for 23 hours 29 minutes

beep boop i'm a computer

The internal clock shouldn't be resetting unless the battery is also dead.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    It's a base clock/bios error:

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=173484.0

This guy had the same problem, same model (z87) of motherboard. Probably a bad revision to the BIOS software caused it.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    It's a base clock/bios error:

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=173484.0

This guy had the same problem, same model (z87) of motherboard. Probably a bad revision to the BIOS software caused it.

dang

must be something they never fixed either since i had v1.1 when it started and when i updated it was v1.8 and as far as i could tell the most recent

• Options
    weird that it wouldn't have always happened though since i never updated the firmware at all before it started happening

• Options
    Chanus wrote: »
    weird that it wouldn't have always happened though since i never updated the firmware at all before it started happening

CMOS battery might be dead, or it could be just a manufacturing defect that got emphasized during a power outage (didn't shut pc down proplery).

Who knows :-|

• Options
    don't matter now!

• Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    You might want to take the computer to a repair place before you spend a ton of money on new parts. Also, take back that PSU you bought and use that money if you can't figure it out.

Edit: Beat to the punch.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    yeah, i didn't end up needing the new PSU but a modular one is sooo much better than the rat's nest of cables in my old one, so i'm okay with the upgrade

other than that, the new mobo cost probably less than a repair would have, so i'm cool with it

and i threw in an extra 16GB of RAM because why not

probably didn't need to do that but :P