Options

Goodbye to Gametrailers; Hello to Easy Allies!

13»

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    It's strange to me that someone somewhere is still paying for hosting.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

The most likely explanation is that their hosting bills are paid up until X date and so there is no point doing so. The other likely idea is that they have advertising contracts that go to a certain date, so they won't pull the site until those are done.

It's hugely depressing either way.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular

They're the new Numbers Stations.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Green Menace HarareRegistered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »

The most likely explanation is that their hosting bills are paid up until X date and so there is no point doing so. The other likely idea is that they have advertising contracts that go to a certain date, so they won't pull the site until those are done.

It's hugely depressing either way.

Indeed, it's like watching hair and nails grow on a corpse...scary stuff o,O

3014467-ezgif.com-crop%283%29.gif
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Looks like they're getting the band back together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXrab4xqyvg

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    This is really awesome. At least according to the other people in the industry that have spoken about it, this is exactly what they needed to do if they wanted to stay relevant in the industry.

I hope they can monetize it well enough to make a profit.

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    I'm assuming we're not allowed to post links to Patreon? Because they've only had their account open for a matter of hours and they're already two thirds of the way to the Reviews goal. Retrospectives are at $30k, which might be a bit too far but we can hope.

I'm pretty happy they've managed to keep almost the entire crew together (minus Matt Blair, who apparently decided to do something different), even if they won't be a full time operation at first.

Oh and Bosman's going to do his own show separately because he doesn't want the pressure of Patreon on his shoulders.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Hrm... Another couple thousand and I'll once again be able to hear the dulcet tones of Brandon Jones telling me whether or not to buy a game.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Looking forward to this. Brandon's voice is soothing. <3

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    Prepare to be soothed because they've passed 15k and will probably hit 20k this afternoon.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Bobkins, might I suggest a new thread title?

"Goodbye to Gametrailers, Hello to Easy Allies"

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    I just happened to run across this while looking for some SFV streams.

It's the easy allies launch party on twitch. Thought you peeps might be interested.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    I had it running for a bit at work earlier. Brandon's dog is adorable.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Dunno if they're popular enough for a thread all their own, but Scribblenauts dev 5th Cell just had massive layoffs, their next game cancelled, doesn't look good.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Dunno if they're popular enough for a thread all their own, but Scribblenauts dev 5th Cell just had massive layoffs, their next game cancelled, doesn't look good.

Geez, wtf. And after GDC? Isn't that where developers get together and talk and find new opportunities, among other things? Doing it after that just seems... ick.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Was able to download several of the retrospectives that I wanted from Youtube. They have a GT Archives account.

They are so well done and entertaining that I really wanted to preserve them.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
  • Options
    sockssocks Registered User regular
    I signed up as a Patreon (which is not something I thought I would ever do), but I really enjoy the stuff these guys do. Their podcast has been great and I really liked the first review.

Bosman is also doing his own side thing for those interested. It's called Bosman at Home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWJx2dcNSDI

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Yea, 1up is a site that makes me sad. It's just frozen like a fossil.

That site went downhill after going from EGM to 1up.

When I modded the forums when it was EGM, we would have the staff on there constantly. By the time the name change happened, the EGM staff of old no longer frequented the site and the forums turned into an incredible mess of hacking, toxic users, and incompetent site admins.

The Non-Game Related board started calling themselves NGR's (yes...) and man, they hated the shit out of PA SE++ and D&D.

jungleroomx on
  • Options

It's him! It's the guy! It's his voice!

<3

• Options
    On the one hand, I'm really glad these guys are producing content again.

On the other, I can see I'm going to have to unsubscribe from their YouTube channel because I don't want to watch them just play random games. I only want to see reviews and the podcast, but their dumb twitch dumps keep filling up my subscription notifications.

Hrm.

• Options
    Podcast went up while I was at lunch. Yay!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNVTmOiPy6A

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Yea, 1up is a site that makes me sad. It's just frozen like a fossil.

That site went downhill after going from EGM to 1up.

When I modded the forums when it was EGM, we would have the staff on there constantly. By the time the name change happened, the EGM staff of old no longer frequented the site and the forums turned into an incredible mess of hacking, toxic users, and incompetent site admins.

The Non-Game Related board started calling themselves NGR's (yes...) and man, they hated the shit out of PA SE++ and D&D.

Eh, I think we were kind of doing alright by the end, at least on the content front.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Houn wrote: »
    On the one hand, I'm really glad these guys are producing content again.

On the other, I can see I'm going to have to unsubscribe from their YouTube channel because I don't want to watch them just play random games. I only want to see reviews and the podcast, but their dumb twitch dumps keep filling up my subscription notifications.

Hrm.

Sounds like they got a lot of these complaints, so they created an Easy Allies Plays channel to put the stream archives on instead.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    In an interesting twist, IGN have bought the Gametrailers website and youtube channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V0I46FycXI

So they're going to use it as a literal game trailers website/youtube channel but are also going to be archiving all the old Gametrailers content. It's pretty cool of them to not just do that but also give Brandon a final word and chance to promote Easy Allies. They've already started uploading a lot of the old content that never made it to Youtube, including a ton of retrospectives.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    That's... surprisingly decent of IGN.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    ARISE, THREAD!

Man, I don't know if I can keep listening to this podcast. I've been running it every week in the car: start the new ep Monday morning, usually finish it on the way home Tuesday (fairly short commutes), but lately I just find myself yelling at it. Like, I want to continue liking these people, but sometimes in their discussion they focus on the stupidest things or miss the obvious answers. It's quickly becoming an exercise in frustration.

For example, the tangent this week about Day One Patches and Archived Versions. Neither of which really has anything to do with the other, both of which have great arguments for and against, and none of which the Allies managed to bring up. Instead, we got Damiani floundering and failing to make any point while needlessly conflating the two, and Jones attacking strawmen. Just, c'mon guys, get it together!

Or is this normal? Do people want to hear them just making unresearched, raw appeals to emotion instead of intelligently analyze games and the game industry? Is the clash of personality more appealing to sponsors than nuance?

• Options
    "Totally not GameTrailers!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nvbkwjk9ML8

• Options
    Houn wrote: »
    ARISE, THREAD!

Man, I don't know if I can keep listening to this podcast. I've been running it every week in the car: start the new ep Monday morning, usually finish it on the way home Tuesday (fairly short commutes), but lately I just find myself yelling at it. Like, I want to continue liking these people, but sometimes in their discussion they focus on the stupidest things or miss the obvious answers. It's quickly becoming an exercise in frustration.

For example, the tangent this week about Day One Patches and Archived Versions. Neither of which really has anything to do with the other, both of which have great arguments for and against, and none of which the Allies managed to bring up. Instead, we got Damiani floundering and failing to make any point while needlessly conflating the two, and Jones attacking strawmen. Just, c'mon guys, get it together!

Or is this normal? Do people want to hear them just making unresearched, raw appeals to emotion instead of intelligently analyze games and the game industry? Is the clash of personality more appealing to sponsors than nuance?

That used to me with every podcast but eh, I've mostly given up on getting worked up over stuff like that on the Bombcast, 8-4 Play or EZA Podcast. I'll sometimes post a disagreement in their GAF threads but I don't get too worked up over it.

As for that discussion, I could see both sides at first but then they just seemed to get too worked up over it and stopped thinking clearly. How Damiani transitioned from there to complaining about them possibly making any changes was baffling though. It's a pity Blood wasn't there, I feel like he's often the most reasonable and intelligent one of the group.

The thing that annoyed me far more in that podcast was the first question in the L&R segment, where the Brazilian guy started going on about announcing games too early and better relationships between developers and customers. It was some naive nonsense that clearly wasn't based in the real world, where indies like Hello Games don't have to worry about attracting investors just to keep their lights on, games don't unexpectedly get delayed and development problems don't exist.

Are you listening to Frame Trap though? It's only bi-weekly but it's my favourite podcast at the moment. The formatting is less rigid than the weekly podcast and Ben's a great host.

• Options
    I have not; perhaps I should give it a listen next.

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Man, I'm watching the Damiani/Bosman Link to the Past video they just put up.
    99% of the time, I like the content that Kyle Bosman puts out. Usually even if I disagree with him, he has an interesting perspective, and is still entertaining.
    The premise of the video is that he doesn't like LttP and Damiani loves it, and that they're going to talk about it as Damiani plays through it. I've never actually played LttP (I've seen bits of it), so this sounded super interesting.

I'm a bit over an hour in;
    I feel like 99% of Kyle's comments so far are just pointing at something on screen and saying "That's a bad sprite". I'm pretty sure he's largely doing a "bit", but it's still disappointing.
    That said, it's still an alright video.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    Man, I'm watching the Damiani/Bosman Link to the Past video they just put up.
    99% of the time, I like the content that Kyle Bosman puts out. Usually even if I disagree with him, he has an interesting perspective, and is still entertaining.
    The premise of the video is that he doesn't like LttP and Damiani loves it, and that they're going to talk about it as Damiani plays through it. I've never actually played LttP (I've seen bits of it), so this sounded super interesting.

I'm a bit over an hour in;
    I feel like 99% of Kyle's comments so far are just pointing at something on screen and saying "That's a bad sprite". I'm pretty sure he's largely doing a "bit", but it's still disappointing.
    That said, it's still an alright video.

Heh, I've also been watching it, but I think I'm done. Kyle's not wrong about a lot of the sprites being janky and the perspective being odd, but it's a superficial dick argument. Damiani is also refusing to refute with anything other than "I disagree". I mean, there's a shit ton of historical perspective to put on this: yes, the perspective is all over the place, but at the time, it was still really cool just because it looked better than the NES. The sprites are kinda janky, but they were going for a cartoony late-80s/early-90s anime aesthetic, and they DO look better on a CRT screen when all the pixels get blurred. It's cool that you don't like some of the tunes, but instead of just "I hate the cave theme", how about talking about why you hate it, and then Damiani countering with why he likes it.

For a video ostensibly about finding common ground, they sure don't seem to be trying very hard.

• Options
    Two episodes of Frame Trap down while working today. This is much more my pace; I like the longer format, as it gives the discussion room to breathe. I also really like Ben's moderating, as he's always pushing for explanations to back opinions.

Also, listening to Ben lay out the preservation argument in FT ep2 so much more elegantly than Damiani did in the latest EAP was exactly what I needed to hear.

So, thank you, @Unco-ordinated! Excellent suggestion!

• Options
    No problem, it's a great show so I'm happy to spread the word. The latest one in particular is a fantastic episode.

As for the LttP stream, I think the consensus on GAF was that they needed a moderator. It's a new idea for a stream though, so it was always going to have its hiccups, it just could've gone better.

• Options