As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

booking flights

Randall88Randall88 Registered User regular
If there's a combined (need to change several times) flight like this, and let's say I need to get on in Frankfurt and not Amsterdam, which is the original starting point. Can I just order the ticket as is and board in Frankfurt ?

The only possible issue I can see would be with checked baggage..

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I learned this recently. In order to prevent you from gaming combo flights which might be cheaper, if you don't board the first flight they cancel your entire itinerary. You have to buy an itinerary that matches your actual travel schedule.

I learned this when someone I was visiting died. I drove to see them in the hospital a few days earlier than I'd planned to fly, but still wanted to fly home. Even after explaining that the problem was caused by someone actually dying, and that I was really saving them money by not taking the first flight, the airline was like, "lol, fuck you and pay the change fee and extra costs."

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    RobonunRobonun It's all fun and games until someone pisses off China Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    That ticket says Amsterdam > Frankfurt > Bogota > Panama City. IIRC if you don't board at Amsterdam the rest of the ticket will void out because you missed the first step.

Robonun on
  • Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I learned this recently. In order to prevent you from gaming combo flights which might be cheaper, if you don't board the first flight they cancel your entire itinerary. You have to buy an itinerary that matches your actual travel schedule.

I learned this when someone I was visiting died. I drove to see them in the hospital a few days earlier than I'd planned to fly, but still wanted to fly home. Even after explaining that the problem was caused by someone actually dying, and that I was really saving them money by not taking the first flight, the airline was like, "lol, fuck you and pay the change fee and extra costs."

My wife and I went through this on our honeymoon. We had booked from Wellington NZ to Auckland NZ, and then on to our destination. We decided to head up to Auckland a few days early on a domestic flight to visit with some friends. We called early to amend our flight plans, but were told that they couldn't change the flight plans until the day of the flight! Had to wake up at 1 AM to call Air NZ to change both tickets, and dinged with charges separately for each ticket that needed changing.

YMMV, not sure how Lufthansa handles flight changes like that, but I would definitely call and ask for more information. You will very likely be paying a pound of flesh to make any changes though, if you're allowed to at all.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    Randall88Randall88 Registered User regular
    oh, that's definitely good to know guys. Thanks a lot.
    I don't get this though.. why do they give a sh*t if I am physically on the plane or not ? As long as I pay for the flight ?

Also an interesting thing, why a longer journey (higher expenses for them) is more expensive than a shorter one.. but I know this happens a lot =\

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular

Thr answer with most things when it comes to the airline industry is "it depends on what airline you're flying"

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Randall88 wrote: »
    oh, that's definitely good to know guys. Thanks a lot.
    I don't get this though.. why do they give a sh*t if I am physically on the plane or not ? As long as I pay for the flight ?

Also an interesting thing, why a longer journey (higher expenses for them) is more expensive than a shorter one.. but I know this happens a lot =\

I believe that there are incentives (from government, companies, taxes, or even the airline wanting to compete) that drive the airline to price things differently based on originating city. For example, if you fly through X country, the airline gets a tax bonus. Or if you originate in X city where the airline is competing with another airline, they'll charge you leJess to build customer good will.

In order to prevent us from gaming this by doing weird itinerary things, it's an all or nothing thing.
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

Thr answer with most things when it comes to the airline industry is "it depends on what airline you're flying"

After doing research, I don't think it really is. It's a pretty standard industry policy. I strongly considered terminating my relationship with that airline, but no other line has a better reputation or doesn't enforce that policy that I can find.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Well probably the reasons are industry-wide (or nearly) but if they enforce the policy may vary.