As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

RI....eh, Scalia died.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Two former Mexican presidents compare Donald Trump to Hitler
    Two former Mexican presidents have compared Donald Trump’s to Adolf Hitler as the cross-border war of words over the Republican presidential frontrunner’s immigration rhetoric intensified.

Felipe Calderon, a conservative who was president of Mexico from 2006 to 2012, told reporters at an event in Mexico City on Saturday that Trump’s political rhetoric was “racist” and evocative of the Nazi dictator.

“This logic of praising the white supremacy is not just anti-immigration,” Calderon said. “He is acting and speaking out against immigrants that have a different skin color than he does, it is frankly racist and [he is] exploiting feelings like Hitler did in his time,” Calderon said.
    Calderon’s predecessor, Vicente Fox, also compared Trump to Hitler in an interview with Anderson Cooper on CNN.

“He’s going to take the US back to the old days of conflict, war and everything. I mean, he reminds me of Hitler. That’s the way he started speaking,” Fox told Cooper in a phone interview.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    I'm really surprised that Bernie has a minority issue as most of the people I saw stumping for him were people of color like me.

My issues with him are born out of an personal international history that places greater value on foreign policy skills, an area I feel he is weakest.

I would not expect that from most minorities in the United States.

South Carolina is a state where African American politics run primarily through the churches and traditional Democratic organizations. In areas like that where traditionalists have a lot of sway, insurgent candidates are going to do poorly.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I don't think there's much of a chance of Sanders running as an independent or third party candidate, no matter what some of his more enthusiastic supporters might do.

Yeah, Sanders is definitely smart enough to know that would all but hand the election to the GOP, and while Hillary might not be the best option, it's a kinder alternative than anything the Republicans can offer.

I'm still banking on Hillary offering him VP or some other major position in her administration to try and solidify party support though.

I see that happening if Sanders wins as well. They both have advantages as VP and it shows "party unity". And whoever Trump picks as his VP is going to look like an idiot next to either of them

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    The only way Clinton would offer him VP is if the young voters indicate that they'll take their ball and go home if he doesn't win the nomination. Either way she needs to pick them up to win, and it's entirely possible that she won't be able to charm them without making Sanders an extremely prominent member in her administration.

Though, like Warren, I'd hate to lose him as a Senator. A decent presidential showing could probable increase his clout and national public approval.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Two former Mexican presidents compare Donald Trump to Hitler
    Two former Mexican presidents have compared Donald Trump’s to Adolf Hitler as the cross-border war of words over the Republican presidential frontrunner’s immigration rhetoric intensified.

Felipe Calderon, a conservative who was president of Mexico from 2006 to 2012, told reporters at an event in Mexico City on Saturday that Trump’s political rhetoric was “racist” and evocative of the Nazi dictator.

“This logic of praising the white supremacy is not just anti-immigration,” Calderon said. “He is acting and speaking out against immigrants that have a different skin color than he does, it is frankly racist and [he is] exploiting feelings like Hitler did in his time,” Calderon said.
    Calderon’s predecessor, Vicente Fox, also compared Trump to Hitler in an interview with Anderson Cooper on CNN.

“He’s going to take the US back to the old days of conflict, war and everything. I mean, he reminds me of Hitler. That’s the way he started speaking,” Fox told Cooper in a phone interview.

Too bad that this will probably just help him with his target group.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Donald Trump is refusing to disavow his endorsement by David Duke, saying he doesn't know anything about the former Ku Klux Klan leader.

Trump was asked on CNN's "State of the Union" whether he would declare that he didn't want Duke's support, or that of other white supremacists in the presidential election.

Trump says of Duke, "I just don't know anything about him."

Trump likewise says he wouldn't condemn a group that he knows "nothing about." He adds that if he were sent a list of groups he would research them and "certainly" would disavow any if he thought there was "something wrong."

Its the fucking KKK

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Has a presidential nominee ever actually selected the person they ran against in the primaries? My political history is pretty crap - is it realistic to expect it to happen, or would it be pretty unheard of?

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Biden ran in 2008, though he dropped his campaign after the Iowa caucus.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Houk wrote: »
    Has a presidential nominee ever actually selected the person they ran against in the primaries? My political history is pretty crap - is it realistic to expect it to happen, or would it be pretty unheard of?

Biden was in the primaries against Obama!

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Donald Trump is refusing to disavow his endorsement by David Duke, saying he doesn't know anything about the former Ku Klux Klan leader.

Trump was asked on CNN's "State of the Union" whether he would declare that he didn't want Duke's support, or that of other white supremacists in the presidential election.

Trump likewise says he wouldn't condemn a group that he knows "nothing about." He adds that if he were sent a list of groups he would research them and "certainly" would disavow any if he thought there was "something wrong."

Its the fucking KKK

As we've seen before, whenever Trump realizes he's at a rhetorical dead end, he does his best to feign ignorance rather than take any measure which might seem to be a concession.

Like, remember when he made those statements about putting Muslims into prison camps? When a journalist asked him, "So, you're telling us we should put them in prison camps, like we did to the Japanese?" he responded with "You tell me."

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Stilts wrote: »

Its the fucking KKK

As we've seen before, whenever Trump realizes he's at a rhetorical dead end, he does his best to feign ignorance rather than take any measure which might seem to be a concession.

Like, remember when he made those statements about putting Muslims into prison camps? When a journalist asked him, "So, you're telling us we should put them in prison camps, like we did to the Japanese?" he responded with "You tell me."
    I'm just astonished because the interviewer, Jake Tapper, threw him the softest of softballs

He literally asked him three different times to condemn the KKK for endorsing him

The first two he referred to David Duke and groups similar to it, and Trump remained evasive but the third time he straight up said "I am talking about the Ku Klux Klan, would you condemn the Ku Klux Klan?" and Trump still won't do it

It is kind of incredible and also absolutely horrifying

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »

Its the fucking KKK

I'm just astonished because the interviewer, Jake Tapper, threw him the softest of softballs

He literally asked him three different times to condemn the KKK for endorsing him

The first two he referred to David Duke and groups similar to it, and Trump remained evasive but the third time he straight up said "I am talking about the Ku Klux Klan, would you condemn the Ku Klux Klan?" and Trump still won't do it

It is kind of incredible and also absolutely horrifying

Is there any possibility we can dust off Paxman and ship him out to the US for an interview with Trump?

forumsig.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I knew David Duke was or still in the KKK I just don't if he is still with them but he was at one time and proud of it I remember

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    oh man I would pay money to see that.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Its the fucking KKK

"I won't condemn a group I know nothing about"

*Flash back to rapist/murderer comment about illegal Mexican immigrants.*

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Trump is full of shit, more at 11

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Trump is full of shit, more voters flock to that banner

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

Its the fucking KKK

"I won't condemn a group I know nothing about"

*Flash back to rapist/murderer comment about illegal Mexican immigrants.*

Hey! He assumes some of them are good people, maybe. Like he thinks there might be a slim chance.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular

Its the fucking KKK

What's funny is that this is what the CNN Reporter was practically saying to him.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Trump in no way actually needs to offer any kind of sense that he is questioning his supprters.

If he forgot who Duke was or not, he doesn't care who he is and what he believes. It's not part of his campaign rhetoric to reject right wing extremists who share views with people who will vote for him, because his rhetoric is fascism.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Trump is full of shit, more voters flock to that banner

"Yeah sure he's an asshole but he's not afraid to speak his mind and I like that, so I'm supporting him."

Actual reason a coworker has told me as to why they support Trump. Trying to bring up the awful things he's done or said just does not pierce their thick skull. This is also the same person though who thinks most of the mass shootings nowadays are false flags in order to take away guns, since it's "really easy to fake this sort of thing with special effects and government cover-ups." and when called on their shit said, "Well I know it's hard to believe but I'm sure if you think about it rationally like I have--"

And that's about where I blew up with white-hot rage. Good thing he's not MY supervisor.

Madican on
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    the anti-political correctness movement is so cognitively dissonant it actually gives me a fucking headache

• Options
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Democratic National Committee vice-chair Tulsi Gabbard resigned from her post on Sunday to endorse Democratic presidential hopeful Bernie Sanders.

"I think it’s most important for us, as we look at our choices as to who our next commander in chief will be, is to recognize the necessity to have a commander in chief who has foresight, who exercises good judgment," Gabbard, a U.S. representative for Hawaii, said on MSNBC show "Meet the Press".

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I guess it makes sense, though I did not know that individual members of the DNC could not endorse particular candidates

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Trump in no way actually needs to offer any kind of sense that he is questioning his supprters.

If he forgot who Duke was or not, he doesn't care who he is and what he believes. It's not part of his campaign rhetoric to reject right wing extremists who share views with people who will vote for him, because his rhetoric is fascism.

He'd be the first fascist that didn't try to conquer the world

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    No he wouldn't

at all

• Options
    No he wouldn't

at all

I must admit my sample size is pretty small

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    winky?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Paladin wrote: »
    No he wouldn't

at all

You are probably thinking of Nazism

Which is a subset of Fascism

Donald Trump isn't a Nazi, that's for sure

Solar on
  • Options
    No he wouldn't

at all

I can think of two fascists off the top of my head, Musso lining being the other one. Just because he was bad at conquering doesn't mean he didn't want to

• Options
    No he wouldn't

at all

I can think of two fascists off the top of my head, Musso lining being the other one. Just because he was bad at conquering doesn't mean he didn't want to

Look at a map of South America and point to a random country. There's a good chance that at some point between 1930 and today, that nation was governed by a fascist dictatorship.

• Options
    No he wouldn't

at all

Well I mean

that's a very small number of fascists so

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    No he wouldn't

at all

But he is, apparently, number one with Nazi's.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    No he wouldn't

at all

Francisco Franco
    Juan Peron

• Options
    No he wouldn't

at all

Well I mean

that's a very small number of fascists so

Based on my power analysis n=2 is sufficient to discover a significant relationship for a person unwilling to actually learn world history

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    at least you're honest about your intentions

• Options
    No he wouldn't

at all

The KKK aren't Nazis either

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    No he wouldn't

at all

He's had pretty vocal twitter support from the whole neo-nazi white power cuck-terfuck segment for quite awhile now.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    No he wouldn't

at all

No, but there is a lot of really interesting scholarship about how Nazi judges, politicians and intellectuals used Confederate and Jim Crow era laws as a model for the society they wanted to build.

This discussion has been closed.