As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Enforcer questions

ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
My ex and I went to our first PAX in 2010 as a pre-wedding honeymoon. We went to Prime every year up through 2015 and then split a month later. I don't think I'm in a spot emotionally where I can go as a solo attendee, but I was thinking I might apply to be an Enforcer so I can give back to the convention in some form. I intend to apply if they open recruitment, but I was wondering what people would suggest in preparation.

I'm assuming it would be best to book a hotel when passes go on sale. If I have enough vacation to cover any needed days before, during and after, what would I be looking at for a total reservation time? Are there any other major factors that I should be considering?

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Do everything as if you were just going to attend the convention normally. There is no *required* time before or after the con for Enforcing, but if people are available they do appreciate help beforehand for set-up. Tear-down is now done pretty quickly at the end of the show and there isn't much of it the day after.

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Artereis wrote: »
    My ex and I went to our first PAX in 2010 as a pre-wedding honeymoon. We went to Prime every year up through 2015 and then split a month later. I don't think I'm in a spot emotionally where I can go as a solo attendee, but I was thinking I might apply to be an Enforcer so I can give back to the convention in some form. I intend to apply if they open recruitment, but I was wondering what people would suggest in preparation.

I'm assuming it would be best to book a hotel when passes go on sale. If I have enough vacation to cover any needed days before, during and after, what would I be looking at for a total reservation time? Are there any other major factors that I should be considering?

By major factors, do you mean timing or price? The big 3 are passes, hotel, and airfare (if you need it). Most area hotels are not currently bookable. All their rooms are tied up in blocks that won't be available until PAX tickets go on sale. However, my choice for a cheap hotel, The Moore is available. It is an old hotel, so it lacks AC and the cheapest rooms share bathrooms, but you can get a single for $112/night and there is no penalty for cancelation. It's very close to Pike Market and still within reasonable walking distance to the convention center. I don't plan to stay there, but I have already booked rooms for this PAX. I'll just cancel them if I manage to get rooms at the hotel I want. If you can handle a commute each day, there are cheap hotels near the airport, and you can take a daily train ride in, it really just depends on how much cash matters to you.

For people, I would suggest doing as many of the pre-PAX events as you can. The Magical Mystery Tour, the boardgame night (there were 2 last year), the pub crawl. Those are all good ways to acquire people to PAX with over the weekend. If you live on the west Coast, consider hooking up with the PAX train.

• ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    Artereis wrote: »

By major factors, do you mean timing or price? The big 3 are passes, hotel, and airfare (if you need it). Most area hotels are not currently bookable. All their rooms are tied up in blocks that won't be available until PAX tickets go on sale. However, my choice for a cheap hotel, The Moore is available. It is an old hotel, so it lacks AC and the cheapest rooms share bathrooms, but you can get a single for $112/night and there is no penalty for cancelation. It's very close to Pike Market and still within reasonable walking distance to the convention center. I don't plan to stay there, but I have already booked rooms for this PAX. I'll just cancel them if I manage to get rooms at the hotel I want. If you can handle a commute each day, there are cheap hotels near the airport, and you can take a daily train ride in, it really just depends on how much cash matters to you.

For people, I would suggest doing as many of the pre-PAX events as you can. The Magical Mystery Tour, the boardgame night (there were 2 last year), the pub crawl. Those are all good ways to acquire people to PAX with over the weekend. If you live on the west Coast, consider hooking up with the PAX train.

I'm very familiar with booking a trip for West, but I'm trying to figure out what I need to make sure I cover in this particular instance because I don't intend to go if I don't make it through the screening process. My intention was to skip the badge process and just book a hotel once the block reservations went up. I glanced at the South enforcer app when it was up and it seemed focused on where you were staying but not if you had bought passes (If I'm remembering correctly). I was looking for the max number of days before and after the show because I can be as free as they want/need in order to help. I'm just trying to get a loose idea of possible time/money commitments ahead of time.

Hopefully that's a little clearer. Thanks for giving this a look.

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    The hotel blocks should cover Wed before to Wed after. That would be the maximum amount of commitment required, as [E] setup doesn't begin in earnest until Wednesday and teardown takes place Monday night with maybe some on Tuesday (depending on how well Monday goes). Tuesday night is the afterparty, at which point the show is definitely over.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    If you don't get accepted, don't lose hope. West is a mature show, and does not generally need as many new enforcers as others, so applications are limited. If you can afford it, traveling to South (our newest growing show), or maybe East, would give you a much better chance of getting an enforcer application accepted. Best of luck.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Yeah, I looked pretty heavily at South when the applications were up, but the timing just didn't work out. I'll be able to take a more serious look at it next year, hopefully.