As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

TownHallMageddon: Left Coast - Democratic Showdown In Sin City

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Shows clip of Clinton saying "magic wand" for Obama as well as Sanders. Is it the same?

Important to evaluate both candidates and their plans in all parts of job. Progress who wants to make progress. Hold accountable. Many differences with Sanders and they've been laying it out

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Apple/backdoor question.

One of the most difficult dilemmas. They don't want to create a backdoor, or not get data off a killers phone. Both sides have valid concerns and court could go either way. Have to bring tech companies and government together to solve this.

Not a tech expert, its a real dilemma. Hope there could be a real tech solution

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Feel like they're pressing harder on Clinton than on Sanders, though could be difference in tone; the previous segment felt like it was ideals (especially iwth audience involvement, but maybe the first half was like this too? I was out) but this feels more technical side of the job.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    oh shit first claps, then boos now claps again

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Attack on Bill Clinton's legacy. Should be held accountable for husband's Administration

Grew incomes at all levels. Sanders also attacked Obama. Wasn't a Democrat until he decided to run for President, maybe doesn't appreciate last two President (boos). Shed take them over almost any other

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    Lanz wrote: »
    Feel like they're pressing harder on Clinton than on Sanders, though could be difference in tone; the previous segment felt like it was ideals (especially iwth audience involvement, but maybe the first half was like this too? I was out) but this feels more technical side of the job.

Clinton supporter, don't feel its been undue so far

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    [Pants are we the only ones watching this at the moment?]

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I'm paying attention to you guys live updates, but I can't watch.

Also, what did Clinton get cheer-boo-cheer for?

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    I'm switching in and out. The wife gets tired of politics. You aren't alone!

• Options
    Normally Clinton's responses are pretty structured, she's in more rally mode right now

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    milski wrote: »

The "Sanders wasn't a democrat, maybe that's why he's attacking Presidents Obama and Clinton" one

Felt really skeevy to me, since plenty in the left wing of the party have raised similar complaints in the past and it feels like it's making a "you can't criticize Democrats and be a member of the party" philosophical play.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    milski wrote: »

Saying Sanders wasn't a Democrat until he wanted to run for President and maybe that's why he has been criticizing the last two Dem Presidents

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    PantsB wrote: »
    Normally Clinton's responses are pretty structured, she's in more rally mode right now

First couple questions she seemed really amped up, like with the first 100 days follow up.

She seems to have calmed down a bit now.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    I'm popping back in now and then but sorry, Trump is more entertaining in the shitshow kinda way. Will watch Hillary's section when it's on YT tonight.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    "Buster?" Lol

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    The immigrant children question; this could be a tough one

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Agreed with closing the private detention centers

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Question about central American children being sent to the border and Pope Francis

Appreciate Pope Francis. Close family detention centers. Must follow process

Don't want children handled by smugglers, often abused, its unsafe. Need to stabilize Central America

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    Not doing too well with the "sending a message" problem

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options

It's a question she should probably pander more on

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    And the transcripts are back

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Question Guy does not look happy with this answer?

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Sanders supporter wants transcripts of speeches.

Clinton says it's a double standard and wont. And she's been trying to rein in Wall Street since before 08

Now he gets a second question for some reason

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    Emotional Gutpunch, that one

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Again, probably *not* your best course to go "HRC!" for going anti-establishment on LGBT issues

EDIT: Human Rights Campaign, I mean, given the many longstanding critiques over their neglect of various groups within the LGBT community

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I'm watching this, but I'm mostly reading the commentary because I have opinions on the things being said and since the primary thread is on moratorium, I'm not really interested in starting a thing.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

It's a question she should probably pander more on
    https://youtu.be/axN-hs4slpY

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Again, probably *not* your best course to go "HRC!" for going anti-establishment on LGBT issues

EDIT: Human Rights Campaign, I mean, given the many longstanding critiques over their neglect of various groups within the LGBT community

They have the same initials so she has to support them.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

They have the same initials so she has to support them.

The Bonds formed by the Chains of the Alphabet are Eternal

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    One of the more liberal and rational defenses of the stock not raising retirement age that every candidate gives

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options

A Sanders supporter asked a skeptical question twofer of Clinton, focusing on paid speeches and same-sex marriage. When Clinton said that she’ll release paid speech transcripts “when everybody else does the same”, the Sanders supporter didn’t relent, asking her to please just release those questions so people “know where you stand.” As for a question on why she was so slow to come out for same-sex marriage, she said she’s “evolved”.

Both questions served to sew and underscore a distrust of Clinton, something Sanders supporters have done in other town halls. It was a more cleverly disguised version of something a Sanders supporter “asked” Clinton at a January town hall when he had her explain why millennials supposedly don’t like her and “think [she’s] dishonest.” But women in positions of power are more likely to be seen as untrustworthy – and these questions, while more substantive than some of what’s come before, play into that narrative.
    http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2016/feb/18/us-presidential-campaign-2016-election-clinton-sanders-las-vegas?page=with:block-56c68adee4b0410d50000adb#block-56c68adee4b0410d50000adb

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options

From my perspective it doesn't seem equal anymore

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    The Sanders questions are so apparent in being out of step with the general questions

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    Millennials need to be banned from asking questions at town halls (and I say this as a millennial). That became abundantly clear when one said to Clinton: “My generation is a little wary of placing another politician in the White House.”

What, exactly, should we place in the White House then? Bankers, teachers, kittens, millennials? Fortunately, it’s not constitutional for the latter to be president.

Heh.

• Options
    Why do Sanders supporters get double questions?

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options

From my perspective it doesn't seem equal anymore

It's becoming clear that they're trying to use leading questions. Which is rather gooseshit, and undermines that whole "above it all" thing.

• Options
    edited February 2016
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Snap, good counterpunch from Clinton.

Edit: fairly shitty of Sanders to attack Hillary for legislation passed under Bill.

Marathon on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »

Snap, good counterpunch from Clinton.

Edit: fairly shitty of Sanders to attack Hillary for legislation passed under Bill.

Yeah I'm not comfortable with "Your husband passed this bill ergo you did." Its very much sins of the father type shit.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Fun fact: the follow up episode of The Maddow Show airing after the town hall is labeled as "Aspecial edition of the rachel" on my channel guide.

Some will be sad to find out that this isn't a history of the hairstyle made famous in friends.

This discussion has been closed.