As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MechWarrior Online] The ship's landed, get out da bay door! (Thread Done)

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Nips wrote: »
    Spectrum wrote: »
    It's just dumb to take literally only LRMs. You can spare two tons for a couple medium lasers. I mean do whatever in a group if everyone is on board, but solo dropping, you will have times where a light is trying to crawl up your butt and nobody is helping you. A couple lasers might not give you the punch to really smack down a harasser, but you don't have to make it a complete cakewalk for them.

I've also seen all-LRM boats with pristine armor and no ammo at the end of the match get knocked out by the last two shambling wrecks with cherry-red torsos on the enemy team. Don't be that guy!

The solution to that is to carry more ammo.

My SHD-2D2 carries 1890 rounds of LRM.

Yeah, once you get north of 50 salvos for your launchers, there's a real strong likelihood that the match will be over (one way or another) before you've blown your whole

I've had builds that had over 2000 LRM rounds and ran dry before the match was over.

Course I also had backup weapons.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    SupraluminalSupraluminal Registered User regular
    It's just dumb to take literally only LRMs. You can spare two tons for a couple medium lasers. I mean do whatever in a group if everyone is on board, but solo dropping, you will have times where a light is trying to crawl up your butt and nobody is helping you. A couple lasers might not give you the punch to really smack down a harasser, but you don't have to make it a complete cakewalk for them.

I've also seen all-LRM boats with pristine armor and no ammo at the end of the match get knocked out by the last two shambling wrecks with cherry-red torsos on the enemy team. Don't be that guy!

Yeah, once you get north of 50 salvos for your launchers, there's a real strong likelihood that the match will be over (one way or another) before you've blown your whole load.

In that case you're wasting tonnage on ammo you're not likely to use. Turn it into other weapons, more armor, bigger engine, etc. to make your mech more flexible and effective in the 95% of matches where you won't have the time to spam 2000 missiles.

You should basically always run out of LRMs. They're shitty for cleanup work anyway, the main thing they're any good at is helping to crack open assaults and heavies in the early/mid game. After both teams are down a few mechs and everyone is running around with stripped components, you want pinpoint direct-fire weapons to finish people off.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    R2/IIc Sale!

Starts: Now!
    Ends: March 2nd 10 AM PST (6:00 PM UTC)

All Resistance 2 and Origins IIC Standard Variant 'Mechs 25% off the MC Price
    All Resistance 2 and Origins IIC Permanent Patterns 50% off the MC Price

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular

Yeah, once you get north of 50 salvos for your launchers, there's a real strong likelihood that the match will be over (one way or another) before you've blown your whole load.

In that case you're wasting tonnage on ammo you're not likely to use. Turn it into other weapons, more armor, bigger engine, etc. to make your mech more flexible and effective in the 95% of matches where you won't have the time to spam 2000 missiles.

You should basically always run out of LRMs. They're shitty for cleanup work anyway, the main thing they're any good at is helping to crack open assaults and heavies in the early/mid game. After both teams are down a few mechs and everyone is running around with stripped components, you want pinpoint direct-fire weapons to finish people off.

Direct fire LRM with Artemis being sighted in with a Tag actually hit pretty tight!

I run through 75+% of my ammo on that Shadowhawk on pretty much any halfway decent match. It can't mount any other weapons in effective amounts anyway with its hardpoints so I'm not really missing much.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    R2/IIc Sale!

Starts: Now!
    Ends: March 2nd 10 AM PST (6:00 PM UTC)

All Resistance 2 and Origins IIC Standard Variant 'Mechs 25% off the MC Price
    All Resistance 2 and Origins IIC Permanent Patterns 50% off the MC Price

So incoming IIC nerf soon?

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    Redspo0nRedspo0n Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    So the ragey IIC build is just SRM6s in every hardpoint, then work engine/armor around it? *edit* And for that matter, what's 'optimal' whoopass on a cheetah? 4x MPL?

Redspo0n on
    "Hey, want a Skull Servent? He's Evil."
    XFIRE:redspo0n (Yep, Zero in there) XBL: Pinkspo0n
  • Options
    Redspo0n wrote: »
    So the ragey IIC build is just SRM6s in every hardpoint, then work engine/armor around it? *edit* And for that matter, what's 'optimal' whoopass on a cheetah? 4x MPL?

6x6SRM6, XL250 engine and everything else ammo.

• Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular

CSPL in every available energy slot, ECM, Targeting Comp 1. Yes, on every variant. Yes, every time.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    Redspo0nRedspo0n Registered User regular
    Mmm sale... Thinking I Cbill myself a cheetah, then RealMoney some IIC gear...

"Hey, want a Skull Servent? He's Evil."
    XFIRE:redspo0n (Yep, Zero in there) XBL: Pinkspo0n
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Unless you feel like overshadowing the Raven instead of the Firestarter, and then two clan erll's in the shoulder mounts, ecm, targeting computer 1,and a bunch of heatsinks will let you out snipe the sniper bird.

There once was a time where the IS could take solace in the fact that at least our light mechs were the best at their niches...

Now all that remains is the crown of "laggy unhelpful nuisance", which goes to the Pirate's bane locust.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Wouldn't XL255 be better? Same weight, same internal DHS, but goes slightly faster.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Wouldn't XL255 be better? Same weight, same internal DHS, but goes slightly faster.

what, an extra half a kilometer?

• Options

An extra 2.3kph may not sound like much...but it's still 2.3kph more than what you'd have with a 250

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options

An extra 2.3kph may not sound like much...but it's still 2.3kph more than what you'd have with a 250

I'm with Erlkonig on this one. I always go for the slight speed (and turn speed!) increase whenever possible. I mean, its the same weight, why wouldn't you?

• Options
    SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    JR7-IIC

Maybe drop the engine from a 285 to a 270 and take a 5th ton of ammo or a half ton of ammo and a jump jet for the extra maneuverability(if your whole plan revolves around getting tight behind an enemy mech and unloading all 6 SRMs in their back, how many alphas worth of ammo do you really need, especially since the 72 damage can one-shot most non-assault mechs).

Or use the extra ton for another heat sink or more armour.

But yeah, 72 damage alpha AND 130+ km/h speed, while still having as much armour as an AC?

If only the sale also affected the c-bill cost, because right now, IMO, the $20 3-pack is still looking like a better deal.

In order to buy the JR7 I'd need to drop $15 on the 3000 MC pack, of which I'd have less than 1000 left. For $5 more I can get two more mechs and the faction pack which includes 6 camo colours and one of each slot cockpit item. Even with the sale, getting those three mechs and the 6 colours from MC will cost upwards of 12,000 MC($50 worth), plus the one mech you really want out of that pack is the one with the +30% C-Bill boost.

You can also strip and sell the other two Jenners if you don't want them, so for an extra $5 you're getting 6000 MC worth of colours(almost $30 in value) and potentially a few million C-Bills in vendored mechs on top of the 6 missile JR7-IIC variant with a c-bill boost.

• Options
    so glad that IIC sale is MC only

or else it'd be making me grind to buy clan hunches and jenners

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    LRMs are really a 'win more' type of weapon, and that just isn't what's important in MWO. You need mechs that create an early-game advantage by killing things efficiently (plus lots of lrm boats never actually trade their armor.)

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Townhall goin on:

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    New gamemode, Domination, confirmed for March patch, along with new map.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    New gamemode, Domination, confirmed for March patch, along with new map.

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG

Sure hope its a public queue map, though. Really, really tired of their entire focus being devoted to CW which, lets face it, is a dying (perhaps dead) game mode.

Konphujun on
  • Options
    New nova:

TosNjcs.png

And they've said they're basically gonna go and rescale all the mechs, not just the 8 they were talking about. They went and did a volumetric analysis on all the mechs and are gonna rescale them based on that and make mechs in the future based on that. Nova looks really good, so I feel good about how this is gonna go.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Deccles

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Phoenix Hawk announced.

sKoa5Rp.png

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Phoenix Hawk announced.

sKoa5Rp.png

Master Chief? Is that you?

• Options
    Knew it

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Wow.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Special variants:

CentgRS.png
    L7T4wAr.png
    QJFKn6i.png

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    God help my wallet

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    So maybe we'll see the Wasp or Stinger now???

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    Phoenix Hawk announced.

sKoa5Rp.png

Oh... oh god.

My wallet...

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    Also, they're looking at completely replacing the heat system. Still in design phase and wouldn't be in public testing until June if it makes it that far.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    Wait... the best parts...

Heat system viable to be REPLACED.

Ghost heat fallible. Likely will be removed.
    Russ: "I don't like cresting a ridge and dying to a single alpha."
    Russ: "(High damage alpha strike) It should be a very, very rare thing."
    Russ: "You shouldn't be firing alphas every time you shoot."
    Will increase match time and Time To Kill (TTK).

An entire overhaul???? I'll believe it when I see it.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    SupraluminalSupraluminal Registered User regular

Increasing TTK is fine, but I dunno about eliminating alphas as a design goal. Twisting to shield and spread damage is kind of MWO's defining feature and you would practically kill that by forcing people to use chain-firing DPS builds.

My gut reaction is to say they should look at increasing armor and structure HP again (and boosting ammo counts to match) instead of moving in this direction.

• Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    Vindicator Mark 2 is a go eh? Least the hero will have ECM I guess.

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Jesus eff, those special variant skins.

Wow.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/223137-march-road-map/

Full March Road Map. He went over basically all of it during the town hall, but hot damn is that a doozy of a patch.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options

Increasing TTK is fine, but I dunno about eliminating alphas as a design goal. Twisting to shield and spread damage is kind of MWO's defining feature and you would practically kill that by forcing people to use chain-firing DPS builds.

My gut reaction is to say they should look at increasing armor and structure HP again (and boosting ammo counts to match) instead of moving in this direction.

Or maybe try decreasing the ghost heat limit on clan lasers so they aren't spamming 42 damage alphas with 6 tons of equipment?

No, this sounds like a job for something needlessly complicated.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Hmm...
    Negative C-Bill penalties for Team Damage
    While we have always had a -10,000 C-Bill penalty for a Team Kill, we have now added a -21 C-Bill penalty for each point of Team Damage. This is the opposite of the reward for every point of damage against an enemy player, which is +21 C-Bill per every point.

Hooray! Now people can shave cbills off my end of match page at will (I know it'll most likely be a negligible amount, but it's still there)! Most of the team damage I incur during a match is a medium/light mech running into mine and I'm not able to stop in time...so that'll be an interesting change on the day it comes (if it comes at all, that is).

Erlkönig on
  • Options
    Hopefully they just implement the "overload" system a bunch of guys were talking about long ago. Instead of ghost heat limits, each weapon has a value that adds up globally and extra heat is applied when you exceed the cap. Heck, assaults could even get a higher cap than heavies so that they are actually better at something.

Talking about "alphas" is dumb because of course you are going to design your mech to do optimal damage all at once. Any system they roll out won't change that. It's just a smart way to fight.

And this still requires PGI to recognize that 6 clan mediums have almost twice the range as 6 IS mediums. Or that 6 clan small pulse do 50% more damage than 6 IS small pulse. This seems obvious to me, but no, let's just cap everything at 6.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I doubt they are going to be able to eliminate alpha striking as a practice, just because in a FPS environment it's the easiest thing to do. Even in a hypothetical game where it's more efficient to chain fire or whatever, you probably would still alpha to limit exposure and focus damage better.

I'm glad they realize big alphas are a problem though

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget