As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stardew Valley - Join us. Thrive.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Yeah, you can get 12 more inventory slots for 2,000 (bringing you up to 24) and then 12 more beyond that (to 36) for 10,000. It's the backpack upgrades at Pierre's.

I'd advice starting to make some chests though. I'm in winter of my second year, and I have I think seven different chests that are regularly used (plus my refrigerator). You really just need one to start with, it's just as your farm expands you're going to want to be able to sort things a bit.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    And you can eventually build a shed

And fill the shed with chests.

Although i've filled my shed with all my artisan-y things. My 8 mayo makers, 3 cheese presses, 4 preserves jars, 3 kegs, and 2 looms.

My livestock has upped to 4 chickens, and 4 ducks, 2 cows, 1 goat, 2 sheep, 1 pig, and 1 rabbit.

My greenhouse has just been finished up, I'm planning on using that for my coffee plant, my ancient fruits, the Sweetest Fruit, and any other rare things I come across.

It's winter now, so all my gear has been upgraded to Steel, and my Axe is currently being upgraded to Gold.

I spent the entire year making preserves and juices and storing them in a chest in my house. Then, when I was running really really low on funds through winter, I sold the lot of them. Hello mid-winter cash infusion of almost $14k. That was useful.

Oh and I managed to get Elliott up to 2 stars. yay. I am the absolute worst at the social stuff. Just like real life!

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Tube wrote: »
    Can I get more storage somehow?

You can make chests with fifty wood (the crafting tab is the little hammer in your menu), and you can buy larger backpacks at Pierre's once you have more money -- they're just sitting on the counter for you to interact with, not in the list of things he sells.

edit: oh hey I should refresh before posting.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    you can make one wood with fifty chest

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    There's no way to move a chest while it has things in it, right?

I really want to make a Matroyshka doll/Koschei the Deathless situation here, and I don't think the game will let me

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I haven't played since he added custom coloring to chests, that would have been a game changer.

I kept one near the path to town just for gifts. Pretty good way to keep up with friending people.

• Options
    My chest distribution is as follows:

Wardrobe (in my bedroom, holds hats, weapons, that sort of thing)
    Home Design (in my living room, holds furniture and art)
    Refrigerator (any foods that I have a recipe for go in here)
    Pantry (in my kitchen, for cooked items that I'm not keeping in my inventory and fridge overflow)
    Supplies (at my front porch, includes basic building supplies like wood and stone, and also serves as a catchall for tools I don't want to be carrying all the time)
    Artisanal Supply (at the other end of my front porch, holds large quantities of fruit, hops, truffles, wool, whatever - anything that is destined to become an artisanal good (I have a fairly limited number of machines for making artisanal goods set up, preferring to just casually refill them)
    Mining Tools (over by that cave, which is where my forge had originally been set up, for holding ore, coal, a single copy of every precious gem)
    Fish Locker (by that tiny little pond which is only useful for crab pots, holds a copy of every fish I've ever caught)

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I don't really know how to tag this spoiler. Just general Stardew weirdness I guess.
    I made some Void Mayonnaise, which sounded disgusting, but I thought hey maybe the wizard would like it because it's related to otherworldly happenings.

He did not like it. He called it mundane. Dude, fair enough if you don't want it, but this mayonnaise was crafted from an egg laid by a demon chicken, which in turn hatched from an egg deposited in my coop one night by a freaking witch. By the very definition of the word that is entirely not 'mundane'.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I'm p. excited about the future of this game
    hoping that he doesn't stop with the multiplayer update - maybe even spring for a full on expansion? (plz)
    I'd fucking slap down money for it

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    an entire expansion built around fucking linus plz

Edit: Ok I've made this joke too much, apologies. I'll stop now

Moriveth on
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Does coffee show up in games started in 1.0?

Or does it only appear in games started after the update?

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    The Judge wrote: »

Coffee was in game in 1.0 but coffee beans and the ability to brew coffee were added in 1.1. Coffee beans should show up in your game if you are playing the most recent patch, the travelling cart sells beans fairly often.

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    How possible is it to do a no mayo run

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Balefuego wrote: »
    How possible is it to do a no mayo run

Pretty easy?

Mayo is good money, but I honestly never made it until after I realized how good cheese was

And cheese/milk drives much more of my animal profits than mayo, currently

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Should be fine, offhand i think the only bundle (artisan goods) that involves it has like 11 options for 6 slots do it could be omitted.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    The Judge wrote: »

Coffee was in game in 1.0 but coffee beans and the ability to brew coffee were added in 1.1. Coffee beans should show up in your game if you are playing the most recent patch, the travelling cart sells beans fairly often.

Sorry, I should've clarified I was talking about beans.

It's definitely the most recent patch, but I've run through at least six trips to the cart over summer and fall (year 3) and no beans for sale. Just got me curious if they only show up in games started with 1.1 applied.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    I got my starter coffee bean from a monster drop, I think. I can't remember exactly which monster, probably in the second half of the mines though.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    The little coal fuzz balls can drop them.

• Options
    Oh hey, I've got a question

Why would I ever want a slime hutch? Is there some secret reason I should be raising these little monsters?

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Oh hey, I've got a question

Why would I ever want a slime hutch? Is there some secret reason I should be raising these little monsters?

you can breed slimes and mate them for certain traits, so that they become more likely to drop rare items

it can become a decent source of iridium

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    I caved and bought this finally. It's still the first week and I have no money and I still don't really know where anything is. I at least figured out how to catch fish, though. That proved to be more complicated than I expected.

I'm sort of conflicted between saving for a non-atrocious backpack and re-investing my meagre earnings into seeds, which I'm sure is a nostalgic thought for those of you drowning the town in fine wine and mayonnaise.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    EmporiumEmporium Registered User regular
    Much like real life, I've always intended to have a logical way of storing my ever-increasing pile of stuff in-game, but end up with a lazy half-assed solution. Though I've improved it somewhat in my latest playthrough, my typical storage setup has always primarily revolved around 5 chests along the left side of the house, where things get stored in the first available spot I find. While not great for organization purposes, it's like it's own dumb mini game where I try and remember where I stuffed x or y thing.

• Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    Wyvern wrote: »
    I caved and bought this finally. It's still the first week and I have no money and I still don't really know where anything is. I at least figured out how to catch fish, though. That proved to be more complicated than I expected.

I'm sort of conflicted between saving for a non-atrocious backpack and re-investing my meagre earnings into seeds, which I'm sure is a nostalgic thought for those of you drowning the town in fine wine and mayonnaise.

You probably want to turn your profits back into seeds to start with. Not having the backpack is annoying, but you can survive. Honestly, you're probably looking at the same amount of time anyway as if you are saving for it on meagre profits it will take a while, but if you keep reinvesting, then one day you'll a get a crop that yields such profit you can just buy the back pack in one go. (And hopefully be able to buy more seeds too)

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Wyvern wrote: »

Definitely re-invest in seeds. You don't need that extra slot until you start exploring the mines, and in the meantime every dollar you spend on new seeds is several dollars you'll have later. This game is a huge snowball effect. Unless the money you're investing will directly improve your process of making money (a better watering can, for example), changes are there's something better you can be buying. Likewise, remember to try and keep your money stockpile low unless you're saving for something specific. You don't want lots of money sitting around doing nothing when it could be making more money for you!

EDIT: Remember that, unless you're planning on breaking rocks or chopping wood, you don't need to have all your tools on your person all the time. Don't be afraid to put a few you don't think you'll use right away into a chest.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    Damn you need a lot of coal in this game. Smelting ore, preserve makers, bee hives. Maybe I should just make a huge factory row of kilns. Never mind that clean country air.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    coal is our most precious natural resource

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    So I've been playing this game like crazy and got the daughter (11) into it.
    She isn't far (like end of first week spring), but was talking about some of the later things that I thought might be relevant to her now.

She asked while we were driving home the other night, "is it true....um.....I heard you might be able to marry two people?"

Geez kid!

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    God

I wish

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    coal is our most precious natural resource

An easy way (I've found) to get coal is to just run the mines levels 40-45ish over and over for a day. The little black puff-balls you can get on the ice levels drop it frequently.

• Options
    Living that farm harem anime life.

• Options
    I think I only have three potential suitors that I don't have at eight hearts

I wanted to successfully shop around before getting married, but it's beginning to feel tedious

I mean, largely because the suitors in question are like, Alex and Harvey

• Options
    You can totes date all the people. I did.

• Options
    Alex is great I will fight you.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    It is a miracle that Alex is still alive

I am amazed that he hasn't drowned yet every single time it rains

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    From a developer on the official forums
    Good news! We may soon be able to access bugged XB1 save files and finally solve this issue.

Could anyone with the save file load failure please email contact@chucklefish.org. Provide the gamertag you use, and send from the same email you use with your xbox account if possible. Important: please also include a clear written statement that you'd like to give us permission to access your save files. Without that, we can't do anything.

EDIT: don't send passwords.

• Options
    EmporiumEmporium Registered User regular
    Summer 27, Year 4: I finally found the last artifact I needed to complete the museum collection, and with that I have all in-game (meaning those on the collections tab in the menu) achievements on one save. I sincerely doubt I'll go for all steam achievements as 2 of the remaining 3 involve Journey of the Prairie King, and I have little interest in playing that. And I'd also have to side with JojaMart for the last one, which...nah.

• Options
    I'll do an Evil Doobh run one of these days

gonna be a goddamn slime rancher

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Grandpa didnt seem impressed.

Said that at least I was trying my best.

:(

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    That just means you can call him back in a year or two to show off how much you've improved!

• Options
    Just be glad Concerned Ape rewrote the grandpa stuff. Dude used to be a complete dick unless you had basically a perfect game.

Like, "Did you even try? I should have left it all to a different grandkid" levels of dickery.

camo_sig2.png

This discussion has been closed.