As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Here a Kid, There a Kid, Everywhere there's a [Kids] Thread

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    The only mode of self transportation that Leah has received is a second-hand tricycle. She is still not big enough to pedal it around herself but sure likes to have mom and dad push her around while she picks up her blocks to fill the trunk up with.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    You did not buy that! Tell me you didn't buy that!

I did not buy it.

Yet.

I had the Monster Truck version of those things when I was a kid. Fucking loved the shit out of it.

This is where I'm thankful I have no yard, so all the yard toys are off. Though there are a lot of parks near by we can take Ollie to so he can learn the danger of geese and the joy of freshly cut bunnies.

:eek: Why are you cutting bunnies?!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    You did not buy that! Tell me you didn't buy that!

I did not buy it.

Yet.

I had the Monster Truck version of those things when I was a kid. Fucking loved the shit out of it.

This is where I'm thankful I have no yard, so all the yard toys are off. Though there are a lot of parks near by we can take Ollie to so he can learn the danger of geese and the joy of freshly cut bunnies.

:eek: Why are you cutting bunnies?!

Well its not me, its just that in this area there are a lot of feral rabbits that are small but don't know to avoid the big lawn mowers that the state hires to cut parks...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    D: I thought that was just a weird phrase I didn't understand.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Question for the other parents.

Does the imposter syndrome ever go away? That feeling that you have absolutely no idea what you're doing, but you're sure that you're doing it wrong, but it seems to be working so maybe you should keep doing it? Does that stop? Ever? Cause I would sure like it to.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

Does the imposter syndrome ever go away? That feeling that you have absolutely no idea what you're doing, but you're sure that you're doing it wrong, but it seems to be working so maybe you should keep doing it? Does that stop? Ever? Cause I would sure like it to.

Hasn't totally for me yet almost 2 years in. Parenting is interpretive and lacking in "right" answers in most places. As long as you're spending time with the kids, aren't abusive and focused on being a nurturing parent, you're probably doing it right. At least I hope so

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Another milestone!!

... Baby's first cold. :bigfrown:

I never thought something as minor as a cold would make me feel worried. I mean, she's only somewhat unhappy, she got some baby tylenol, and she's only coughing a few times an hour, and drinking normal amounts but the little voice in my head is freaking out.

To be fair, she's dealing with being sick better than her dad. At least she's still playing with her toys and not whining about it constantly.

• Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    The biggest problem we ever had with a cold was it impacting our kid's ability to eat, both nursing and solid food, due to a stuffy nose. That flat out sucked.

Entriech on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Another milestone!!

... Baby's first cold. :bigfrown:

I never thought something as minor as a cold would make me feel worried. I mean, she's only somewhat unhappy, she got some baby tylenol, and she's only coughing a few times an hour, and drinking normal amounts but the little voice in my head is freaking out.

To be fair, she's dealing with being sick better than her dad. At least she's still playing with her toys and not whining about it constantly.

Also be on the lookout for ear tugging and red ears, as that likely means an ear infection. With our kiddo, it was like clockwork - cold, then 1 week later an ear infection.

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular

My wife had HUGE amounts of anxiety that was at it's most extreme about 8 months in. She got some medication for it and it's been a lot better since. It's helped her deal with the gnawing thoughts about doing it right. They're still there but there aren't anymore nightmares or difficulty leaving her with like the babysitter or even me.

And speaking for myself, I realize I am not perfect so I've just been reading books, thinking about what made me who I am and just trying to do it right. I think part of being a parent is having a low level of "God, I hope I'm not fucking this up" mixed with "My kid just made the Run the Jewels gesture, I'm the BEST parent" all the time always and just trying to find the right mixture.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular

I don't feel that way, but only because I've just resigned myself to not set expectations for myself other than to do my best to teach my daughters to be kind and strong people, and make sure they know I'm always there for them. . There's so much that's out of your control, that I think you just can't worry about doing everything right or wrong.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Just had the birds and the bees talk with my 8-year-old last night. I had impostor syndrome bad but my wife felt it was time to get it done, so I agreed. We decided to fill her in on the basics but we still haven't told her about bad people who might want to harm her. The main goal was, "we've been telling you those parts are private, and this is the reason why." So I hope despite all of us being a little weirded out she'll get the idea in terms of protecting herself. I think the second half of that discussion can wait until she's a pre-teen.

We also had to warn her not to share it with her friends because other parents may not be ready to have that conversation with their kids. I told her not to worry though, she'll have Sex Ed in the public schools in a few years anyway and then she'll be able to discuss it with anyone. She asked me, "so what do they teach in sex ed?" I replied, "wayyyyy more detail than what we told you tonight." To which she replied, "ewwww..."

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    6 weeks off work. I might be a bad person, but my biggest grin came from realizing I don't have to pump for 6 weeks.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    6 weeks off work. I might be a bad person, but my biggest grin came from realizing I don't have to pump for 6 weeks.

Not a bad person, not in the slightest! Heck I hate pumping so much I just gave up completely.

@lonelyahava it hasn't gone away for me completely yet, 4 years later, but it's slowly getting better.

• Options
    Just had the birds and the bees talk with my 8-year-old last night. I had impostor syndrome bad but my wife felt it was time to get it done, so I agreed. We decided to fill her in on the basics but we still haven't told her about bad people who might want to harm her. The main goal was, "we've been telling you those parts are private, and this is the reason why." So I hope despite all of us being a little weirded out she'll get the idea in terms of protecting herself. I think the second half of that discussion can wait until she's a pre-teen.

We also had to warn her not to share it with her friends because other parents may not be ready to have that conversation with their kids. I told her not to worry though, she'll have Sex Ed in the public schools in a few years anyway and then she'll be able to discuss it with anyone. She asked me, "so what do they teach in sex ed?" I replied, "wayyyyy more detail than what we told you tonight." To which she replied, "ewwww..."

Just remember when giving the bad person talk don't make the stranger danger mistake and imply its only rando's who can be bad people.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Exactly. Most of our discussion was around keeping private parts private, so we emphasized that the parts belong to her alone and now that she's a big kid even Mommy and Daddy can't touch her there without her permission--and even then only in rare situations like if she's sick or something. So hopefully she's got the right idea, though I hope we didn't enforce too much shame in those parts either.

Always a tricky balancing act in making sure your kids are safe without turning them into a psychological mess.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    So this kid is impatient and decided he doesn't want to wait until May 12th.

Hes coming May 6th now.

• Options
    Exactly. Most of our discussion was around keeping private parts private, so we emphasized that the parts belong to her alone and now that she's a big kid even Mommy and Daddy can't touch her there without her permission--and even then only in rare situations like if she's sick or something. So hopefully she's got the right idea, though I hope we didn't enforce too much shame in those parts either.

Always a tricky balancing act in making sure your kids are safe without turning them into a psychological mess.

It really is the bitch of things. Like you want your kid to be sex positive, but also aware sex is consensual between two (or more?) parties and you should never feel pressured or coerced. It's like walking a fine line between safety and not ruining a fairly enjoyable activity!

I dread having to have the masturbation talk with my son when he's older, because I don't want him to feel bad he jerks off, but I also don't want him like jerking off in plain sight.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Heh, I usually chicken out on most private part things since I've got two girls. I just say "go talk to your mother" if they say they hurt down there or something. I couldn't get out of the Birds and the Bees talk though.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Heh, I usually chicken out on most private part things since I've got two girls. I just say "go talk to your mother" if they say they hurt down there or something. I couldn't get out of the Birds and the Bees talk though.

I'm just going to link Burpette to that story posted here a few years back about the former who was wanking herself off with a cucumber, got caught and ending up eating it

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options

My wife was super happy we had a son specifically because it meant the sex talk gets put all on me. LOVE YA HONEY!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I dread having to have the masturbation talk with my son when he's older, because I don't want him to feel bad he jerks off, but I also don't want him like jerking off in plain sight.

I was feeling pretty lucky yesterday when a bunch of mom-friends were talking about how their toddlers are already regularly masturbating

With Anya we've just said she's welcome to do it, but to keep it for when she's alone in her room.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    My almost 3 year old and 14 month old daughters are both in full fledged play with myself mode, usually in the bathtub. My 14 month old is straight Al Bundy, she'll just stick her hand down her diaper while she chills. We're teaching the older one that it's something to do in private.

• Options
    I can tell when Ollie has morning wood because of my wifes "No ollie that's gross." when she changes him.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    My kid is coming up on six months and has started this weird hissing thing. The wife and I are convinced she's speaking in Parseltongue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3RLASVkA90

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Two unassisted turn overs today, and so it begins.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

A future Seahawk in the making!

• Options
    Taramoor wrote: »

A future Seahawk in the making!

Nah with this kids kicks he's going Sounder all the way. I'd say mariner, but I've seen his ball handling skills, far too good for them.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Future OKC Thunder, you mean.

• Options
    Nah I'm white David, he's got no chance of playing b-ball.

And his o-line is shit tonight, 3rd turn over! Though so far no ability to crawl, he can get in the crawl position, but the idea of arms and legs working together is as foreign as the hawks drafting in the first round.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    how old is your little one @Preacher ?

• Options
    3 months almost 4. But outfit wise he's fitting into 9 month outfits already, he's a fat fat baby.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ok, so I still have some time for little miss to roll. she's only 10 weeks. I struggle reading developmental stuff

• Options
    ok, so I still have some time for little miss to roll. she's only 10 weeks. I struggle reading developmental stuff

Yeah I try not to care too much right now, because the guidelines for most stuff is like as early as this, as late as like a year old.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    You don't have to.

Developmental stages are averages only and you shouldn't really sit there expecting them on month x to do y. As long as they are in safe standard deviations for milestones you shouldn't really pay too much attention to them. Your kid will do things in their own time frame and that is 100% ok.

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    My son turned two this week, doesn't walk yet and we're not worried. There are always outliers in a statistic and development milestones aren't different.

• Options
    yes, logically that makes sense. I'm not working well with logic at the moment.

But she's smiling a lot more and big full mouth smiles too. not just her little half smirks that she was giving me.

man, how come nobody tells you to do arm exercises? my left shoulder is aching something fierce just from carrying/holding her.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Your baby being happy is way more important than any developmental date, just tell yourself that.

So congratulations.

• Options
    What advice I hated was "get your sleep now" like you can bank sleep before the baby comes! "Its ok he only sleeps 4 hours a night, while my wife was pregnant I slept 12 hours every night!"

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Don't pay too much attention to developmental milestone dates. Every kid is different.