As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Seventh Democratic Debate: Meanwhile, at the adult's table...

123457»

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Counter argument: funny jokes are funny and saying "the republican candidates are insane" in a funny way is pretty harmless.

I mean if anyone is crazy enough to let that joke influence thier vote, so be it.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Looking back on it, what was Bernie's point with the import-export bank and Boeing? That it's corporate welfare?

I'm not quite sure how "We have a service that provides readily available liquidity for American companies who want to compete internationally" is really corporate welfare, and Boeing is like... the best example of a US company providing strong jobs that Bernie could ask for.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    milski wrote: »
    Looking back on it, what was Bernie's point with the import-export bank and Boeing? That it's corporate welfare?

I'm not quite sure how "We have a service that provides readily available liquidity for American companies who want to compete internationally" is really corporate welfare, and Boeing is like... the best example of a US company providing strong jobs that Bernie could ask for.

They're able to provide those jobs based on tax breaks, subsidized loans and government contracts through state and federal programs. I don't really think Boeing would be successful at all otherwise.

I don't think it's a great example of welfare exactly, but its not a strong competitive company based on its merits as a manufacturer of goods or how it treats employees.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    dispatch.o wrote: »

They're able to provide those jobs based on tax breaks, subsidized loans and government contracts through state and federal programs. I don't really think Boeing would be successful at all otherwise.

I don't think it's a great example of welfare exactly, but its not a strong competitive company based on its merits as a manufacturer of goods or how it treats employees.

Boeing treats its employees reasonably well, being one of the companies that first pushed for the 9/80 system that has become more standard throughout engineering, and being very competitive on pay and benefits. I think there was a semi-publicized union negotiations thing, so I suppose they aren't sunshine and rainbows, but I don't recall anything terrible being said about them.

Further, considering how subsidized Airbus is, Boeing's options are essentially to have some amount of subsidies and tax breaks (deferring income tax until planes are delivered is the biggest one) or to close up shop and give Airbus a global monopoly. I feel like that is significantly worse for the United States than decrying Boeing as being unsuccessful because it can only compete when subsidized half as much as Airbus, rather than not subsidized at all.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Once again, thank you all for the commentary.

Should I try to find video? or is it more of the same?

• Options
    It was more aggressive and Flint-centric than usual, with a lot of questions about race.

It's definitely worth watching, it's not a repeat of Debates #3-5.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I enjoyed it. Aggressive and topical even if they didn't cover foreign policy.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote: »

Boeing treats its employees reasonably well, being one of the companies that first pushed for the 9/80 system that has become more standard throughout engineering, and being very competitive on pay and benefits. I think there was a semi-publicized union negotiations thing, so I suppose they aren't sunshine and rainbows, but I don't recall anything terrible being said about them.

Further, considering how subsidized Airbus is, Boeing's options are essentially to have some amount of subsidies and tax breaks (deferring income tax until planes are delivered is the biggest one) or to close up shop and give Airbus a global monopoly. I feel like that is significantly worse for the United States than decrying Boeing as being unsuccessful because it can only compete when subsidized half as much as Airbus, rather than not subsidized at all.

Plus, you know, Bernie being opposed to free trade as he is makes him a protectionist. He should be a fan of corporate wellfare, at least in some cases, or else where is the consistency in his position?

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Politics aside, I found this pretty damn funny. (unmute for audio)

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
This discussion has been closed.