Options

Old Souls [Dark Souls 1 + 2][No DS3 Talk At All]

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    It's been that way since like week 2 of the game.
    EPHXt.png

Soul memory has its problems, but it actually made PVP palletable for me in DS2. DS1 is permahollow.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »

C'mon, the sound makes this one.

https://youtu.be/2kr7KDCsIws?t=8m14s
    8:14 if it doesn't start at the right point.

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Am I specing wrong or is Dark Souls 2 way harder then Bloodborne?

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    Neither probably, it's more likely that DS2 might give you trouble because it's just far different than Bloodborne.

• Options
    It seems like you have to be far more patient in combat. The enemies also just feel like they have a lot of health, even with me speccing a lot into strength.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Yeah, the pace is a lot slower than Bloodborne and DS3.

Also, I feel like I completely disregarded your comment about speccing! What're your stats / equipment / goals? We can definitely help to point you in a good direction.

BreakfastPM on
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Here is where I am right now: (spoiled for big)
    B8WLouu.png
    wYxnUA3.png

Sidebar: It is way too much of a hassle to get PS4 screengrabs onto a computer, wish they could streamline that.

Basically, I have no idea what I am doing. I am not trying to min / max, just want the combat to be a little easier, because the game is killing me right now. (Doesn't help that I am picking it back up after not playing for a few months)

Uselesswarrior on
  • Options
    BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    I wouldn't worry about your stats too much. You get way more levels over a playthrough of DS2 than Bloodborne and you can respec.

I think I ended my last Bloodborne run, including DLC, around level 90. A full SotFS run with the DLC is more like level 180 at the end.

Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • Options
    Here is where I am right now: (spoiled for big)
    B8WLouu.png
    wYxnUA3.png

Sidebar: It is way too much of a hassle to get PS4 screengrabs onto a computer, wish they could streamline that.

Basically, I have no idea what I am doing. I am not trying to min / max, just want the combat to be a little easier, because the game is killing me right now. (Doesn't help that I am picking it back up after not playing for a few months)

Like Billiardball said, don't worry too much. If you want some focused on things though:
    • Can't go wrong with 20s in VGR, END, and VIT
    • You seem to be STR so getting 40 in that stat would be good
    • IMPORTANT You're probably have some trouble because your ADP is low. Breakpoints are 12 (I think), 25, and 33. I'd honestly always recommend 33
    • Armor / Weapon / Shield wise, whatever looks cool and feels good. Though getting it all to +9 / +10 does actually help
    • Good rings are going to be RIng of Blades, Chloranthy, and Third (or Second) Dragon Ring

• Options
    CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
    It seems like you have to be far more patient in combat. The enemies also just feel like they have a lot of health, even with me speccing a lot into strength.
    Unless you have something with a long reach like a spear that can hit enemies as they close in, most of the time you have to let them go first or you will probably trade hits.

Also, 20 strength is plenty for now unless you want to one-hand an ultra greatsword or something. It won't affect your damage that much until you've upgraded your weapon some. In the meantime, I suggest putting more levels into vigor and endurance, maybe vitality if you want to wear heavier armor.

• Options
    What's a good weapon upgrade strategy? I haven't upgraded at all because I feel like I am always finding something new.

• Options
    You can eventually buy all upgrade materials in limited and unlimited quantities. Though that can be pretty late game.

The game gives you the material to +10 one weapon by the "halfway" (more like 2/3) point though and you should definitely have settled into a weapon by then.

Generally, if you're not doing magic, have a +10 melee weapon and a bow (or crossbow ) that you maybe upgrade.

Any weapon will work; you just have to find something you're comfortable with or patient enough to learn.

• Options
    ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    So I learned something new for DS1 today: (do not watch if you don't want spoilers for dealing with the Capra Demon) 8:34 is the the magic happens if the time cut in the link doesn't work.
    https://youtu.be/2AeOZRwdWPY?t=515

Pro-tip: always look up.

ironsizide on
    |_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Well, I know how I'm "fighting" Capra on my NG+ run through . . .

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    What's a good weapon upgrade strategy? I haven't upgraded at all because I feel like I am always finding something new.
    Weapon upgrading is the most important mechanism for boosting your damage. This is why you feel like enemies have way too much HP.

You will keep finding new things all game, but that's ok; the materials needed for upgrading at the low-end are cheap, common, and will soon be purchasable in limitless quantities. Pick your current favorite weapon and at least dump upgrades into it until you're past the basic Titanite Shard material.

Armor and shields can upgrade, too, so look into doing that as well to round yourself out. It's ok to "waste" basic Titanite Shards in this manner, and even spending some Large Titanite Shards isn't that big a deal. Beyond that is where you're committing to an investment, though.

Worry about infusions after you've committed.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Well, I know how I'm "fighting" Capra on my NG+ run through . . .

You can also use dung pies that way to kill him with toxic if you want to be particularly insulting.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    It's been that way since like week 2 of the game.
    EPHXt.png

Soul memory has its problems, but it actually made PVP palletable for me in DS2. DS1 is permahollow.
    yeah, you don't get twink invaded in the early game (as much)

the problem is, you run into the twinks at the end of the game, when you're actually looking for pvp

i'd much rather get invaded and rekt once or twice in low levels, drop an obscenity, use another effigy and ride out the invasion cooldown timer to the end of the level than deal with the absolute parade of level 250+ buttfaced havel jesters with buffed and elemental infused chaos blades and all the health and stamina in the world

• Options
    That's not really twink as much as "what happens when you have all the souls in the world". Given who you're being matched with, shouldn't you be able to respec to be equally shitty right back at them?

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    That's not really twink as much as "what happens when you have all the souls in the world". Given who you're being matched with, shouldn't you be able to respec to be equally shitty right back at them?
    i do not feel like this is much of a solution

• Options
    Unfortunately the answer to "how do I fight a PVP build?" will always be "build for PVP". The idea that PVP players can invade PVE players and the latter are somehow on same or even similar footing is inherently broken (not that it stops From from trying).

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Just picked up Demon's Souls again from when I left it back a few months ago in frustration (Seriously, fuck those flying manta rays), and I'm once again making good progress ever since a buddy of mine told me that an upgraded bow is absolutely critical in this game.

Even with it's rough edges here and there, DeS is a really really good Souls game. Can't imagine how it felt for people who played it back in 2009.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Just picked up Demon's Souls again from when I left it back a few months ago in frustration (Seriously, fuck those flying manta rays), and I'm once again making good progress ever since a buddy of mine told me that an upgraded bow is absolutely critical in this game.

Even with it's rough edges here and there, DeS is a really really good Souls game. Can't imagine how it felt for people who played it back in 2009.

Fantastic is how it felt. So wonderfully different than anything else out there.

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    My first play-through of Demon's Souls was one of those rare gaming experiences that are defining, the type that you only really get to have one of every few years at best. It was something really special.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016

Fantastic is how it felt. So wonderfully different than anything else out there.

Same. I knew in just the first few hours that Demon's Souls was going to be one the best games I ever played.

Apostate on
  • Options
    Well that was a bizarre invader. Not far in Anor Londo and still human from summoning Tarkus in Sen's, and I get some dude invade right after the rotating bridge. He stands on the steps leading up to the cathedral, unmoving. He's got some green buff (I assume it's from Grass Crest Shield or something?) and he's stood there for like five or six minutes. So I try plinking a couple poison arrows his way to see if he can get moving so we can get this show on the road. No damage. I move closer, still nothing. I hear a "whoom" sound like it's hitting some kind of air shield or something, and I can't lock target on him. Cast Homing Soulmass, run up to him, all four orbs hit him, no damage. Confused, I just throw myself off the bridge and retrieve my souls/humanity seconds later.

Wonder what his deal was. Watchdog didn't flag him as a hacker (though that's far from foolproof), but it was like... nothing ever hit him. All he did was waste my time and force me to either alt-F4 or kill myself so I can proceed.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    Apostate wrote: »

Same. I knew in just the first few hours that Demon's Souls was going to be one the best games I ever played.

Seems like people like you are trail blazers. I honestly don't understand how the Souls series got so big and how Demon's Souls got such a big following. Was Youtube involved or did people just key into it because it was different then anything else on the market?

• Options

Seems like people like you are trail blazers. I honestly don't understand how the Souls series got so big and how Demon's Souls got such a big following. Was Youtube involved or did people just key into it because it was different then anything else on the market?
    Actually I think a post by Tycho on PA is what made me curious about it. I then read some early press about it and it just seemed like it was something unique. The whole leaving messages for others and the idea a single player game could briefly turn into a co-op or PvP from time to time was fascinating. Finally the art completely sold me on it as it had a really interesting mix of Western and Japanese styles.

• Options
    Went through the Painted World and got up to the boss in Anor Londo before work.

I really enjoyed the Painted World. A few too many health-buffed generic hollows for my taste, but the whole place was pretty great. Easily my favorite area so far. Only downside was the
    bridge dragon
    bugged out and just sat there and let me kill it.

Anor Londo I found a bit disappointing after all the hype I've heard about it though. It's certainly a visually gorgeous place, but it feels like half of it is mostly empty even though I know it isn't. The infamous great bow snipers ended up killing themselves though, so there was that.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    So I beat Dark Souls II, all DLC, but fucked up the ending, as I didn't get the option to do anything else with the crowns after I got them, besides
    going into the king's memory and talking to him? Did I mess something up?

Also, did anyone else feel like the DLC very heavily punished all spell-casting? I really noticed it when I left the DLC areas and would come back and do normal boss fights, where my magic was much more powerful. For DLC bosses, it was normally on par with or weaker than me just swinging my magic falchion, despite how much higher my Intelligence and Faith were than Strength and Dexterity.

In terms of bosses, I didn't find the Fume Knight that bad? Maybe it was just my playstyle, but Sir Alonne (and the trek to get to him) was much harder for me than the Fume Knight was.

• Options
    never die wrote: »
    So I beat Dark Souls II, all DLC, but fucked up the ending, as I didn't get the option to do anything else with the crowns after I got them, besides

Also, did anyone else feel like the DLC very heavily punished all spell-casting? I really noticed it when I left the DLC areas and would come back and do normal boss fights, where my magic was much more powerful. For DLC bosses, it was normally on par with or weaker than me just swinging my magic falchion, despite how much higher my Intelligence and Faith were than Strength and Dexterity.

In terms of bosses, I didn't find the Fume Knight that bad? Maybe it was just my playstyle, but Sir Alonne (and the trek to get to him) was much harder for me than the Fume Knight was.

DLC:
    If you get all four crowns, take them back Vendrick, he'll enchant them so that whenever you're wearing one, you won't go hollow. Then, beat the game, after the normal end boss, you'll have to fight Aldia. Beat Aldia, and you can proceed to the normal ending and take the throne, or leave the boss room for the DLC ending.

• Options
    Houn wrote: »

DLC:
    If you get all four crowns, take them back Vendrick, he'll enchant them so that whenever you're wearing one, you won't go hollow. Then, beat the game, after the normal end boss, you'll have to fight Aldia. Beat Aldia, and you can proceed to the normal ending and take the throne, or leave the boss room for the DLC ending.

King Vendrick?

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    So, just a quick question. What are the advantages/disadvantages between the PC and PS3 versions of the original Dark Souls? I figure PS4 and PC would be pretty similar for DS2 & 3, but just not sure about the first game.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »
    So, just a quick question. What are the advantages/disadvantages between the PC and PS3 versions of the original Dark Souls? I figure PS4 and PC would be pretty similar for DS2 & 3, but just not sure about the first game.
    So, the DS1 PC port comes with the DLC. that's it's big advantage.

It's also not a very good port. You have to do some modding and install a 3rd party fix to make it better. But once you do, it can run at 60 FPS (Not really recommended), higher res textures, and modding support.

Basically the choice here is "Works right out of the box" or "A slightly better experience that you have to work for"

Oh. also if you don't have some sort of PC controller, don't bother. The KBAM controls are abysmal.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    heenato wrote: »

It's also not a very good port. You have to do some modding and install a 3rd party fix to make it better. But once you do, it can run at 60 FPS (Not really recommended), higher res textures, and modding support.

Basically the choice here is "Works right out of the box" or "A slightly better experience that you have to work for"

Oh. also if you don't have some sort of PC controller, don't bother. The KBAM controls are abysmal.

Yeah, I've heard about the DSFix mod, but that' doesn't really intimidate me. Just curious as why you say it's not recommended to run at 60 FPS. I heard something about item degradation being tied to framerate. Is that the reason?

I have a DS4 specifically for PC gaming, so a controller isn't an issue.

• Options
    Houn wrote: »

DLC:

King Vendrick?

Yes. That guy.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular

Yeah, I've heard about the DSFix mod, but that' doesn't really intimidate me. Just curious as why you say it's not recommended to run at 60 FPS. I heard something about item degradation being tied to framerate. Is that the reason?

No. That's DS2 where it's an issue. DS1 was designed to run at 30FPS, so running it at 60 can cause problems. Falling through the world when climbing ladders. Getting stuck at the bonfire because the animation went weird, things like that.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options

No. That's DS2 where it's an issue. DS1 was designed to run at 30FPS, so running it at 60 can cause problems. Falling through the world when climbing ladders. Getting stuck at the bonfire because the animation went weird, things like that.

Ah. In that case, I'll just stick with console for DS1 & 2. Thanks for the help.

• Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular

There's nothing about the PC port that doesn't "work right" out of the box. You can install DSFix and other mods if you want, but without them you'll get an experience identical to the console versions but with a more consistent framerate.

Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    Reported issues with running DS1 at 60:
    - if you fast-slide down a ladder you can end up falling through the floor
    - some jumps are harder at 60
    - getting stuck at bonfires?

Of those, in the dozens of hours played, I have experienced... um... maybe the second? Dunno, didn't stop me from finishing the game or reaching any places. The only time I purposefully turned it off was for the Artorias fight, because it does make your dodge iframes shorter and with him you need all the iframes you can get.
    The issue frequency might my exaggerated is all I'm saying.