As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Reddit, Lolz, and You (UPDATED)

ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
edited March 2016 in Debate and/or Discourse
Hey, folks!

You know that thing where someone posts a thread from Reddit,and it's full of stupid people saying stupid things, and the point is "lookit the stupid people who are in favor of this thing, they are totes stupid, lololol," and then someone gets pissed, and everything goes to hell, and people start yelling, and someone makes a report, and a mod has to go in there and sort out what happened and tell people to stop being fuckos?

You know how that's just so very fun? Probably not! Because I was actually using very sophisticated sarcasm right there, and it's actually not much fun at all! Holy shit, what a shocking twist!

So. Posting Reddit comments, or 4chan posts, or anything else for the express purpose of lol-ing at some group who is not you, is now verboten. It is stupid strawmanny shorthand, and instead we are going to use actual words and cogent arguments to make our points, like God intended.

Thank you and goodnight!

edit:

It's possible I was a little too flippant above, and obscured the point of what should be a pretty simple rule. Sorry! Let's fix that.

The overarching rule on this forum, the rule from which everything else derives, is: "Don't be a dick." Being a dick can take a lot of forms. The specific form we're trying to address here is posting something from some external source - Twitter, Facebook, whatever - that is intended to serve as a proxy for an entire group of people, then saying, "haha, look at the stupid X," implying that all X's are stupid. Most commonly, this is used in political discussions. "This Republican/Hillary supporter/Bernie supporter/Trump supporter/person from Florida said something stupid, everyone in that group is so stupid, let us all laugh at the stupid." This is not a good way to foster intelligent debate, which is something this forum excels at during its best moments. (At its worst, I want to beat it lovingly to death with a tire iron. Oh, so lovingly.)

Does this mean you can never post anything from Twitter? Nope!

Does this mean you can never post anything stupid from Twitter? Not necessarily! (Though if you are in doubt about whether or not your post might unfairly slam an entire group of people, that is a warning sign.)

Here's a guiding principle: if you think that people on this forum are going to take offense to your attempt to score some lulz, there is a strong possibility that you are running afoul of the Don't Be a Dick rule. And if you do post something that offends people in the pursuit of lulz, expect to eat some points.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
ElJeffe on
This discussion has been closed.