Options

Straightzi is the Settings Whisperer in the [Tabletop Thread]

BucketmanBucketman Call meSkraggRegistered User regular
edited April 2016 in Social Entropy++
You enter a dark thread, the stench of dried blood emanates from the walls. You hear a faint dripping in the distance, its cold and everything feels damp.

You roll perception to see if you read any posts

koplow_d20_jumbo_red_55mm_countdown_dice_die_magic_the_gathering_life_counter_(1).jpg

Success!

You see the first post:

Bucketman on
«134567100

Posts

  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    ENTER YE AND BE DAMNED!

    Here we will talk about all kinds of paper RPG games! What we love about mechanics, the classes we hate. Everything from the classic D&D to the new aged stuff like Dungeon Wold!

    There is a dragon.

  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »

    There is a dragon.

    I attempt to seduce it.

  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    geth roll 1d20 for Psykoma attempting to seduce the dragon.

    Psykoma attempting to seduce the dragon:
    1d20 9 [1d20=9]

  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Okay, now roleplay it out for me before we start rolling dice

    VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    geth roll 1d20 for Psykoma attempting to seduce the dragon.

    The dragon is not amused, it is crazy unseduced. Yet you are still fucked.

  • Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    Psykoma has a plus ten to seduce dragons after negging it's treasure hoard.

  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I don't neg, I treat all dragons with respect and admiration.
    And no treasure hoard matches the raw power and beauty of the dragon which made it.

  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Well don't google image search "Dragon with bedroom eyes".

  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    i have literally had a new thread ready since about 4 PST, i take a nap and this happens.

    I had called it "Warlocks and Whetstones: A PnP Thread's quest for supernaturally sharp knives"

    I take a nap, and this is what happens.

  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    i have literally had a new thread ready since about 4 PST, i take a nap and this happens.

    I had called it "Warlocks and Whetstones: A PnP Thread's quest for supernaturally sharp knives"

    I take a nap, and this is what happens.

    Yeah those sex dungeons and sex dragons really sneak up on you.

  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I really love that 13th Age is inspiring lots of different character ideas for me right now. I wish 5th had done that, and also wouldn't mind pathfinder or 4e doing that again sometime, but time will tell

    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    if anybody has experience hacking different formats, PM me, I have an idea that's festering real badly right now

  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    I wish 13th age looked interesting to me, it just seems to bot have much, crunch to it.

    Like, 4e was a very fiddly bits game, and i understand not liking that, but i loved it. 13th age, looking at it, there's like 2 armour types last i saw, and one of them is clearly worse than the other, and i lost all interest there.

  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Why don't dragons want to date me? I'm a nice guy!

  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Why don't dragons want to date me? I'm a nice guy!

    Dragons only want one thing. Your gold

  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    hey now, dragons also like sex, but you don't have to be nice to get sex.

  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Why don't dragons want to date me? I'm a nice guy!

    Do you have a throne or a kingdom to offer it?
    Also, how do you feel about master/thrall relationships?

    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    YAY!

    My third favorite RPG setting just broke the record for the biggest tabletop RPG on Kickstarter! 1.3 million raised for 7th Sea!

    Man.. that is rediculous. Hopefully they meet the lofty goal of 1 sourcebook a month like they have suggested.

    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/johnwickpresents/7th-sea-second-edition/description

    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    My friends are loaning me their copy of the shadowrun rulebook.

    This book is huge guys.

  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    My friends are loaning me their copy of the shadowrun rulebook.

    This book is huge guys.

    Which edition?

    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    My friends are loaning me their copy of the shadowrun rulebook.

    This book is huge guys.

    Which edition?

    5th edition, looks like, thing is almost 500 pages.

  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    My friends are loaning me their copy of the shadowrun rulebook.

    This book is huge guys.

    Which edition?

    5th edition, looks like, thing is almost 500 pages.

    A LOT of that is fluff / universe building. It's a gorgeous book.

    It's kind of funny seeing the evolution of the game through all 6 editions (including 20th anniversary, which was like a "4.5" edition).

    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    sounds about right. it is literally all the core rule book you ever need

  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I got the second edition for $5 once.

    The amount of paper and ink in that book alone is worth like $40.

  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Part of my depression the last few weeks has been trying to get up the effort to go OCD on my book collection and organize it...

    Maybe I should do that to tire myself out tonight. Do I go by number, alphabetically, or either of the above by book classification?

    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    YAY!

    My third favorite RPG setting just broke the record for the biggest tabletop RPG on Kickstarter! 1.3 million raised for 7th Sea!

    Man.. that is rediculous. Hopefully they meet the lofty goal of 1 sourcebook a month like they have suggested.

    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/johnwickpresents/7th-sea-second-edition/description

    eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Melding wrote: »
    I wish 13th age looked interesting to me, it just seems to bot have much, crunch to it.

    Like, 4e was a very fiddly bits game, and i understand not liking that, but i loved it. 13th age, looking at it, there's like 2 armour types last i saw, and one of them is clearly worse than the other, and i lost all interest there.

    Actually, it depends on your class. Some classes have penalties for wearing heavy armor, some don't. Same with shields.

    But overall, yes, I agree, there are fewer moving parts to 13th Age than 4e. That's actually something I like about it, overall. The downside is that in cases like the barbarian, paladin, or ranger, it ends up being a little too few moving parts.

    One thing I do like is the different frequencies for different attacks. At-will, once/battle, and daily are all in there, but then there's recharge powers, cyclical powers, and breath-weapons, all of which have special rules. And while I feel that most classes with flexible attacks lack sufficiently overlapping options, I do like them as a thing, in general. At least, more than I used to.

    I'm curious, though...why did you lose interest at simplified armor rules? Like, what about that specifically, was the breaking point?

    Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    YAY!

    My third favorite RPG setting just broke the record for the biggest tabletop RPG on Kickstarter! 1.3 million raised for 7th Sea!

    Man.. that is rediculous. Hopefully they meet the lofty goal of 1 sourcebook a month like they have suggested.

    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/johnwickpresents/7th-sea-second-edition/description

    eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

    I would've backed for all the books, but $650 was a bit steep. However, I did commit to a Pirate edition back within the first day of the campaign (I think after it had been funded), and I do plan on building up my pledge to get the dead tree editions.

    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I regret not jumping on that earlier pathfinder humble bundle, which had all the books and scenarios as e-books for like 25 bucks.

    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    i have no working credit card

    otherwise I would have

  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Melding wrote: »
    I wish 13th age looked interesting to me, it just seems to bot have much, crunch to it.

    Like, 4e was a very fiddly bits game, and i understand not liking that, but i loved it. 13th age, looking at it, there's like 2 armour types last i saw, and one of them is clearly worse than the other, and i lost all interest there.

    Actually, it depends on your class. Some classes have penalties for wearing heavy armor, some don't. Same with shields.

    But overall, yes, I agree, there are fewer moving parts to 13th Age than 4e. That's actually something I like about it, overall. The downside is that in cases like the barbarian, paladin, or ranger, it ends up being a little too few moving parts.

    One thing I do like is the different frequencies for different attacks. At-will, once/battle, and daily are all in there, but then there's recharge powers, cyclical powers, and breath-weapons, all of which have special rules. And while I feel lack most classes with flexible attacks lack sufficiently overlapping options, I do like them as a thing, in general. At least, more than I used to.

    I'm curious, though...why did you lose interest at simplified armor rules? Like, what about that specifically, was the breaking point?

    seemed indicative of a greater simplification of moving parts. like, it wasn't "what only two armours, F that" it was more looking at the gear section seeing weapons were typically simple and that there was literally two types of armour, which didn't see that different anyway where i went "yeah, this isn't for me i think." I really like gear options. I understand the desire for just like One handed weapon to be one of the weapons and then for there your class or skills or something modifies it, but that's just not me.

    Also i should note that from the brief look at i think the play test or something, heavy armour is worse than light.

  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Aw man... just realized I have two copies of a sourcebook. I hate it when that happens... :(

    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Aw man... just realized I have two copies of a sourcebook. I hate it when that happens... :(

    Give one to a friend who doesn't have it!

  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »
    Aw man... just realized I have two copies of a sourcebook. I hate it when that happens... :(

    Give one to a friend who doesn't have it!

    Probably what I'll end up doing. These are actually ancient Shadowrun books... or semi ancient in the case of Hazard pay.

    Edit: My bookshelf hates me right now. And I have 1 more shelf worth of just Shadowrun books to lay out up here!

    8y8uvxQh.jpg

    Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    geth roll 2w10

    NeoToma on
  • Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    Uhhg coming up with campaign setting stuff is hard.

    Or well, at least I'm hyper critical of the ideas I have.

  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    >get ye flask

    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Uhhg coming up with campaign setting stuff is hard.

    Or well, at least I'm hyper critical of the ideas I have.

    could always steal things from other settings. what if greyhawk had lightning trains and was also forgotten realms?

    or start with a small area and develop as you go along.

  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Is there somewhere where I can read up on all the stuff the dice roller can do

  • Options
    BertezBertezBertezBertez Registered User regular
    So it has been awhile since I have gotten to GM and lately I have be thinking of doing some kind of Skype + Roll20 campaign. Would anyone here be interested in something like that?

    My main experience has been with Dungeon World but I have been reading about the other Powered by the Apocalypse stuff so If anyone is interested in Apocalypse World, Monsterhearts, The Sprawl or anything of that ilk which I haven't heard of let me know

    ...but I would say that

    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.