Options

Election Season: More Argument than Duck Season v. Rabbit Season

1457910100

Posts

  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    For me it was more "man this libertarian stuff sucks when you're broke and other folks aren't" combined with, like...a lot of weed.

    Just...really a lot of weed.

    Like I was in management for a pizza shop in a college town

    just, so much weed.

    e: oh hey, top of the page.

    ...that high.

    Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Shorty wrote: »
    NeoToma wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »
    milski wrote: »
    -Tal wrote: »
    sanders has definitely inherited a lot of the young ron paul crowd

    In spirit if not in actual votes, because dear god I hope vocal Ron Paul supporters learned something over the course of 8-12 years.

    when young white male libertarians get a bat taken to their head by life experience they tend to go all the way over to the far left

    so, possibly

    Do they?

    yeah

    libertarians either stay that way forever or take a hard left swing sometime in their twenties

    for the most part, anyway, and I couldn't tell you what the proportion looks like

    but yeah there is a not-insignificant number of honest progressive and socialist supporters of Bernie who are reformed libertarians and Paul supporters

    Yeah i suppose that's my main quibble, I know a lot of libertarians that just became slightly more isolationist conservatives
    Then i again that probably comes from them having protections(parents) preventing them from ever truly getting the feet kicked out from under them by life

    NeoToma on
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »
    rhylith wrote: »
    Baidol wrote: »
    Trump needs 56% of the remaining Republic delegates to get the nomination on the first ballot. That sounds like a great deal, but most of the remaining states are winner-take-all or close to it, so if Trump continues to top vote totals (even at 40%), he'll have the nomination, particularly if he wins California.

    I guess the question is does Kasich get all those Rubio voters. If so he'll definitely contend in PA like Jasc was saying, and he'll probably do well in other swing states.

    Personally although I'm terrified of the thought of president trump I kind of hope he gets the nod and gets annihilated in the general. The only problem is that second part has to happen or we're fucked.

    Well, yeah, but that's why I'm looking forward to it. Confronting your darkest aspects is hard. I want this election to not just be a win, but a crushing win. If you ever daydreamed as a kid about standing against the darkness and emerging victorious, now's your shot. Everyone has skin in the game this time.

    This is one of the only things I guess I could say is cool here. This is hopefully as close as I have to get to fighting fascism directly. Except for that whole part where I am unsure as to if I can actually win that fight.

  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    NeoToma wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »
    NeoToma wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »
    milski wrote: »
    -Tal wrote: »
    sanders has definitely inherited a lot of the young ron paul crowd

    In spirit if not in actual votes, because dear god I hope vocal Ron Paul supporters learned something over the course of 8-12 years.

    when young white male libertarians get a bat taken to their head by life experience they tend to go all the way over to the far left

    so, possibly

    Do they?

    yeah

    libertarians either stay that way forever or take a hard left swing sometime in their twenties

    for the most part, anyway, and I couldn't tell you what the proportion looks like

    but yeah there is a not-insignificant number of honest progressive and socialist supporters of Bernie who are reformed libertarians and Paul supporters

    Yeah i suppose that's my main quibble, I know a lot of libertarians that just became slightly more isolationist conservatives
    Then i again that probably comes from them having protections(parents) preventing them from ever truly getting the feet kicked out from under them by life

    yeah I definitely think it's usually one or the other--not many people are giving up on libertarianism in favor of moderate Republican conservatism

  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Somebody not on mobile can confirm this for me but only like 3% of dems who won't vote for the other candidate say they'd go Trump.

    PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    At least this election has made Pink Floyd's The Wall relevant to my life again.

  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    I guess Fox News is canceling it's next debate after Trump said he wouldn't attend.

    I'm sure that'll do wonders to calm down his ridiculous ego.

  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    technically they cancelled it because Kasich said he wouldn't attend unless Trump was there

    which is about the dumbest thing Kasich's done the whole year

  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Kasich has a sure fire argument that will take Trump down.

  • Options
    HjorvarthrHjorvarthr Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Jasconius wrote: »
    technically they cancelled it because Kasich said he wouldn't attend unless Trump was there

    which is about the dumbest thing Kasich's done the whole year

    to be fair

    would you want to be on a stage alone with Ted Cruz for hours?

    Hjorvarthr on
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    I wouldn't wanna anything alone with Ted Cruz for hours.

  • Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    Unless you're Alan Dershowitz apparently.
    Baidol wrote: »
    rhylith wrote: »
    Baidol wrote: »
    Trump needs 56% of the remaining Republic delegates to get the nomination on the first ballot. That sounds like a great deal, but most of the remaining states are winner-take-all or close to it, so if Trump continues to top vote totals (even at 40%), he'll have the nomination, particularly if he wins California.

    I guess the question is does Kasich get all those Rubio voters. If so he'll definitely contend in PA like Jasc was saying, and he'll probably do well in other swing states.

    Personally although I'm terrified of the thought of president trump I kind of hope he gets the nod and gets annihilated in the general. The only problem is that second part has to happen or we're fucked.

    Well, yeah, but that's why I'm looking forward to it. Confronting your darkest aspects is hard. I want this election to not just be a win, but a crushing win. If you ever daydreamed as a kid about standing against the darkness and emerging victorious, now's your shot. Everyone has skin in the game this time.

    Learning that you aren't quite the minority opinion that you thought you were is not a crushing defeat, especially if your candidate loses a general election instead of a primary. It means you can mobilize majorities of like minded people to obtain seats in any district that supports it, especially in the deep red southern districts that have been created over time.

    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Zoel wrote: »
    Unless you're Alan Dershowitz apparently.
    Baidol wrote: »
    rhylith wrote: »
    Baidol wrote: »
    Trump needs 56% of the remaining Republic delegates to get the nomination on the first ballot. That sounds like a great deal, but most of the remaining states are winner-take-all or close to it, so if Trump continues to top vote totals (even at 40%), he'll have the nomination, particularly if he wins California.

    I guess the question is does Kasich get all those Rubio voters. If so he'll definitely contend in PA like Jasc was saying, and he'll probably do well in other swing states.

    Personally although I'm terrified of the thought of president trump I kind of hope he gets the nod and gets annihilated in the general. The only problem is that second part has to happen or we're fucked.

    Well, yeah, but that's why I'm looking forward to it. Confronting your darkest aspects is hard. I want this election to not just be a win, but a crushing win. If you ever daydreamed as a kid about standing against the darkness and emerging victorious, now's your shot. Everyone has skin in the game this time.

    Learning that you aren't quite the minority opinion that you thought you were is not a crushing defeat, especially if your candidate loses a general election instead of a primary. It means you can mobilize majorities of like minded people to obtain seats in any district that supports it, especially in the deep red southern districts that have been created over time.

    I don't think any racist assclowns are currently looking around and going "Oh shit it turns out I've been surrounded by fellow racist assclowns the entire time and didn't know it!"

    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    If Rubio, cruz, and kasich delegates all joined up they would be above trump right

    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I think it's safe to say they didn't know they were electable.

    e: It's not like Ted Cruz has people running around his rallies saying "Go back to Auschwitz" and getting plastered all over twitter. If not distinctly new, it's at a level we haven't seen before.

    Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Trump has already successfully worked to further normalize fascist rhetoric in the United states

    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Zoel wrote: »
    I think it's safe to say they didn't know they were electable

    Joe Arpaio has been elected sheriff of Maricopa County since 1993. Being a shitlord is a time-honored plan for electoral success.

    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    Joe Arpaio has indeed been the sheriff of Phoenix and environs, but that's a little different from changing what is and isn't acceptable conversation throughout the south.

    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Found it.
    Ohio Monmouth Poll D4&D5

    [QUESTIONS D4 & D5 WERE ROTATED] D4. If Donald Trump became the Republican nominee and Hillary Clinton became the Democratic nominee, who would you vote for in the general election in November – Trump or Clinton or an independent candidate, or would you not vote for president?

    March 2016
    Donald Trump 5%
    Hillary Clinton 83%
    Independent candidate 6%
    Would not vote 3%
    (VOL) Undecided 3%

    D5. If Donald Trump became the Republican nominee and Bernie Sanders became the Democratic nominee, who would you vote for in the general election in November – Trump or Sanders or an independent candidate, or would you not vote for president?

    March 2016
    Donald Trump 4%
    Bernie Sanders 80%
    Independent candidate 2%
    Would not vote 9%
    (VOL) Undecided 5%

    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    yeah there's a small fraction of dudes who will only vote for a non-establishment candidate even if that candidate is the unibomber

  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    yeah there's a small fraction of dudes who will only vote for a non-establishment candidate even if that candidate is the unibomber

    Hey at least the una bomber had an ethos.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    yeah like say what you will but the guy is at least principled

  • Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    I've been using that Drumpf plugin for a while now and it's great, but the downside is I'm always wondering whether people are actually saying Drumpf.

    Trump.

    Drumpf.

    The pen is reeeeeeeeeeeeee-

  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    I had to dig that quote out of r/politicaldiscussion by the way. I think the only time and place more Pro-Clinton rhetoric is uttered it's being whispered into Chris Matthews' Hillary-chan body pillow.

    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Jasconius wrote: »
    yeah there's a small fraction of dudes who will only vote for a non-establishment candidate even if that candidate is the unibomber

    Hey at least the una bomber had an ethos.
    We read him as part of my university's ethic paper.

  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Remember that time Chris Matthews was fawning over Bush-sempai noticing him at a party?

    Chris Matthews' biggest regret is that when he opens the Mystery Date door there's only one establishment politician.

    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

    I have been recently watching Samantha Bee's late night stuff and man, do I love it.

    Colbert is good for wit & jokes, but Samantha Bee has so much palpable rage.

    She's glorious.

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Sam B's been around since the formative years of Stewart's Daily Show. She's got that bitter rage that can only come from a decade plus of having to point out all the times Fox News has been hypocritical.

    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular


    I tried so hard

    And got so far

    But in the end

    It doesn't even matter

    Kasich 2016

  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Not even trying for that Trapt game, Kasich?

    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I have no idea how I would react to linkin park calling me on behalf of a parent.
    Probably polite yet confused, as to not disrespect anyone.

    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I have no idea how I would react to linkin park calling me on behalf of a parent.
    Probably polite yet confused, as to not disrespect anyone.

    "Oh, uh, hi, Linkin Park. I played a whole lot of Smash Bros while listening to your stuff."

    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I have no idea how I would react to linkin park calling me on behalf of a parent.
    Probably polite yet confused, as to not disrespect anyone.

    "I straight-up couldn't stand your music from the first moment I heard it, but it seemed like literally everyone else at school loved it and I couldn't escape it, I couldn't escape your garbage music and it's a musical representative of one of the worst, most awkward times of my life.

    Now you're just like whatever."

  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    "Hey Linkin Park, what's good a.... (nope almost fucked that up, caught it right before I hit post) these days?
    I heard that new gundam is okay."

    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    "Oh hi Linkin Park, I thought you guys got pretty decent when you decided to get weird and make A Thousand Suns"

  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Hi Linkin Park, did you hear Korn's dubstep stuff? It's better than anything either of you have made combined.

  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Kasich is a kinder, gentler kind of Christian theofascist. A happy member of the 700 Club.

    I mean, it's still an awful worldview, but as long as you're a middle class WASP, it's not too bad.

  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Hi linkin park

    My friend's older brother that would drive us to school sometimes would play your albums at max volume

This discussion has been closed.