Options

[Diablo 3] Season 11 on 7/20, Challenge Rifts & Necromancer - Patch 2.6 IS LIVE

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    I really wasnt hyped for it after hearing so many people complain about it on the ptr, but I truly enjoyed the little diversion. For some reason the 8 direction movement really struck a chord in me and I found myself getting a fond feeling of nostalgia for the graphic pixelation they did. All in all, I enjoyed it for what it is, but I dont know how much time i'll really spend running through it repeatedly.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I went in with a fresh Witch Doctor and utterly ruled the new stuff on normal difficulty. No reason to do it on a higher level when there aren't any other rewards, and having pets to run forward and take any potential hits for me was quite nice. Didn't need any fancy level 70 weapon or anything, just a pile of paragon points.

I like the event, it's pretty nostalgic. It does go to show you how much more there is to do in Diablo 2 and 3, though, when you can finish up a run from start to finish in under an hour. Of course, back then games hated their players, and the original Diablo wasn't really an exception to that. I remember some friends of mine kept a multiplayer game running for a very long time, every square in town had a full stack of gold in it. They were pretty sad to finally close that one down.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    Does anyone here play on ps4? What are the changes there? Do we get seasons finally?

League of Legends:Varega
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    How do you get into the event? As sadly my highest characters are the ones left over from seasons

• Options
    The event is in Act 1 in Adventure Mode. Just open up the map and look for the red pentacle, go to that waypoint and head mostly south. You'll see an old style town portal open, go in there and you have arrived.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    yeah silly me I never finished the story. I got lost quit came back and had no idea where I left off
    I just play seasons in adventure mode so yeah

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Happy Anniversary! *breaks 64-bit mode*

... fuck, is that why I kept getting hitching any time an achivement came up in guild chat?
    Varega wrote: »
    Does anyone here play on ps4? What are the changes there? Do we get seasons finally?

Hey dude! Long time no see from the LoL thread. PS4 got all the same patch changes except seasons this time. Next season (season 10 afaik) consoles will get them the same time as PC.

Those of you wanting the TL;DR for the event:
    1. Roll a level 1 character, start a new adventure mode game. Go to Old Ruins WP in Act 1, go into the portal. Clear the 16 levels of the dungeon in one sitting to unlock the butcher pet. Must be done solo.
    2. On level 9 of the D1 dungeon look out for the black mushroom patch. click it to get an item. follow this guide on how to unlock wirt's leg and the cow pet
    3. To unlock the Demon Portrait, you have to kill all the named mobs that randomly spawn in the ruins. Takes 3-5 runs roughly adjusting for RNG. You'll probably knock out 50% of it on the first run.
    4. To unlock the Angel Portrait, you have to get the cultist papers 1-7, which are random drops off mobs that spawn in Festering Woods, Weeping Hollow, Cathedral 1, 2, 4 and Halls of Agony 1, 2, 3. Took me two runs to get it. Mobs drop the pages randomly and can drop multiples. They also can just be traded to other players so maybe do in a group.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    I read on reddit that leaving as many community chats as you can will help with performance for those of you having issues.

If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Yeah, that was more entertaining than I expected it to be. It's still mind-boggling to me that this is a time-limited event, but, well. I suppose there isn't that much content in there, and it relies quite heavily on nostalgia, so perhaps making it time-limited is a way to make it at least moderately welcome when it comes around (instead of it sitting there, stagnating, the year round).

Diablo 1 music still best music, though.

• Options
    I am happy all of you D1 fans are enjoying the event.

I think if it was just always on people would get bored of it, so it being annual is probably a good thing.

• Options
    I mean, D1 was the first RPG-like I've ever played back in, like, 7th grade. It was revelatory, even though I never got good at it (I started using a trainer fairly quickly, because I wanted All The Spells) (remember when trainers were a thing?) or played multiplayer.

That music causes a reaction in me without any intervention from my conscious mind. It's like getting goosebumps when you're cold or sweating when you're hot.

• Options
    Man, I even owned Hellfire.

• Options
    ReddayeReddaye Registered User regular
    The atmosphere of the original Diablo is something special. As an overall game, Diablo 2 is obviously far more fleshed out, but the original is very tense and forboding. It almost feels oppressive at times.

They did a pretty decent job of capturing it during the event as far as I'm concerned.

• Options
    its that Matt Uelmen music

oh, even the old tristram theme...

• Options
    The atmosphere was - in my eyes - the best part of Diablo 1. I imagine that setting the game in a tiny town with one dungeon was a pragmatic decision (technical limitations, narrower scope for art direction, etc), but it created such an insular environment that the horror of the scenario was amplified. You're in the middle of nowhere, it's the end of the world, and no one is coming to help you. Having so few people in the town added to the effect. Every element of the game's presentation was dripping with gothic flavor, from the sounds to the font.

When Diablo 2 came out, I played it for maybe half an hour and walked away from it completely disillusioned. The things I loved about D1 were nowhere to be found, and by that point the gameplay loop did nothing for me. I went back to it maybe 5 years later to see if my feelings changed, and it turned out that they really didn't.

D3 clicked for me, but not at all because of the mood and atmosphere; rather, in a reversal, I found the gameplay loop to be mindlessly soothing.

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I think where they really succeeded was the Halls of the Blind. That part was awesome, but unfortunately it was just a little side area.

They could have done more to make the rest feel more unique, instead of a screen-filtered rift.

Noggin on
    Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

The one good thing about the PS4 version from what I found out is that the Rotten Mushroom is not a clickable item but seemed to drop from an Elite. This is the item that starts the Wirt's Leg pattern and the Cow pet. Oh yeah, also don't touch the cows prior to salvaging Wirt's Leg otherwise you'll have to restart a game to reset the cows to open the portal.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Noggin wrote: »
    I think where they really succeeded was the Halls of the Blind. That part was awesome, but unfortunately it was just a little side area.

They could have done more to make the rest feel more unique, instead of a screen-filtered rift.

The halls side area was a little too big for what was in it, but they got the feel of it just right.

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

The one good thing about the PS4 version from what I found out is that the Rotten Mushroom is not a clickable item but seemed to drop from an Elite.

No, it's still a clickable. I clicked it. You probably just hit it in the middle of the fight.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    TamerBill wrote: »
    Betsuni wrote: »

The one good thing about the PS4 version from what I found out is that the Rotten Mushroom is not a clickable item but seemed to drop from an Elite.

No, it's still a clickable. I clicked it. You probably just hit it in the middle of the fight.

Ah ok, thanks for clarifying that. Especially if my wife plays and listened to me...

I'm happy that you can get two free pets easily for the consoles.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    IndoorsmanIndoorsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Patch includes 4k support for the ps4 pro. Looks gorgeous.

Indoorsman on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Indoorsman wrote: »
    Patch includes 4k support for the ps4 pro. Looks gorgeous.

Shit, time to download it on my shiny new PS4 Pro and party like its 1997 this weekend.

I probably won't be playing till later at night, but anyone looking for a PS4 buddy friend me on PSN: BlackDragon1066

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Patch messed up the mouse profile since the 64 bit client uses a different executable and it took me far too long to check that!

Event was OK. Still dumb it's limited and there's like nothing else. New pet was a surprise, at least. But pet. Come on Blizzard, surprise us!

• Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Since it's going to be an annual thing I wouldn't be surprised if they added more to it over time.

Poketpixie on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    i'm surprised there weren't OG diablo 1 transmogs

wkWfiaj.gif

ZtbNMw6.gif

UfRy0vw.gif

• Options
    yeah all the special blues not being transmogs was a huge misstep

• Options
    SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    Hmm...perhaps I'll boot up Diablo 3 for the first time in a long time to try this out. Sounds fun!

Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262

• Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    My friend's hated playing network D1 with me because I played fireball sorcerer and the game had friendly fire :rotate:.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Ughhh... going for the butcher pet achievement and the game decides to just randomly disconnect me. Guess I'm going to restart my dude... again.

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    I have vanquished Diablo, Dark Lord of Terror, ridding Sanctuary of his evil forever. Surely, he will never return...

• Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    I have vanquished Diablo, Dark Lord of Terror, ridding Sanctuary of his evil forever. Surely, he will never return...

Embedding that crazy crystal full of pure evil into my skull will absolutely have zero consequences!

• Options
    I appreciated getting to see the super low res "victory" cinematic again. Kind of shame they didn't give us the opening cinematic with the crow/raven as well.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    how hard are the cultist pages to get? I farmed the devil portrait today and that was a doozy

• Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    The pages weren't too bad. Took me a couple hours maybe. I ran through the areas they were found maybe 2-3 times.

• Options
    My body is ready for 21:00.

A snowstorm looms.

Hopefully I have power. haha.

• Options
    people sure are unreasonably upset about this anniversary event

what a surprise, that the internet is unreasonably upset over Diablo 3

• Options
    ReddayeReddaye Registered User regular
    Walt wrote: »
    people sure are unreasonably upset about this anniversary event

what a surprise, that the internet is unreasonably upset over Diablo 3

I basically just avoid the Diablo subreddit. It's just a cesspool.

• Options
    remember friends it is impossible to like both Path of Exile and Diablo 3 for different reasons, and the only valid reason to play Path of Exile is to send Blizzard a message

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Man i wish the season would start earlier in the day.

• Options
    Al_wat wrote: »
    Man i wish the season would start earlier in the day.

For me I wish it started after normal dinner time so I could eat dinner at a reasonable hour and play after.

oosik_betsuni.png
This discussion has been closed.