As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Diablo 3] Season 11 on 7/20, Challenge Rifts & Necromancer - Patch 2.6 IS LIVE

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Is there a way to buy the necro as a gift for someone else? Buddy mailed me a bunch of old 40k stuff and I feel like this is a thing he'd use.

https://us.battle.net/shop/en/product/diablo-iii-rise-of-the-necromancer There's a gift button on the shop page

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    Purchased on the shop.

Now to get home so I can PLAY it.

If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    As excited as I am for the Necromancer... I think I'm gonna wait to see if the pack drops in price over time.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    As excited as I am for the Necromancer... I think I'm gonna wait to see if the pack drops in price over time.

i think im in the same boat. im starting to like the WD again and as someone else pointed out in the thread previously they are similar enough thematically that i can survive without the necro for a while i think

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    So what is a challenge rift and why should I, the casual scrub, ever care about them

also realms of fate

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    If there was some additional content released with the Necromancer, I'd buy the pack. Since it's only the character, I can wait.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    valiance wrote: »
    Zek wrote: »
    Fireflash wrote: »
    I dunno. 15$ just for the necro, playing the same content I've played too much already ehhhh.. PoE's next expansion is free and adds a shitload of content.

Also looking back on D3 as a whole, it's kind of dumb how they tried to make a different ressource system for each character because in the end all characters pretty much handle the same way: spammy abilities, and abilities that drain your ressource. The way your ressource orb looks is 100% fluff.

That's one of the holdovers from vanilla that doesn't make a lot of sense anymore after all the fundamental design changes in 2.0. They used to be quite strict about making the player generate resources and wait for cooldowns. Then they decided to go hog wild with legendary powers and let people spam their best abilities pretty easily. Plus the overall pace of the game increased by an order of magnitude. In hindsight I think they went too far, I remember liking the idea of D3 lowering the run speed and enforcing cooldowns because D2 had also been so hectic.

They tried a lot of things that didnt quite work: dexterity giving dodge, different resources, inferno difficulty, rares as top end gear instead of legendaries/sets, the auction house (both gold and rmah). The funny thing is they were just giving fans/customers what they said they wanted. I distinctly remember people begging for a super hard difficulty like infeno and then bitching when they got it. Or asking for rares to be top end items for build diversity and then complaining when legendaries were "weak". I have to give blizzard a lot of credit for massively overhauling the game multiple times since release-especially having the guts to kill the rmah. That was a huge moneymaker for them that subverted the fundamental feedback loop of the game and they identified and killed the problem. Hats off to them.

D3 was slow coming out the gate, at least in comparison to the genre defining classic that was d2x, but I think they have made some big improvements. I haven't played since early ROS, and the game feels a lot more fun. I think the d2 pacing you describe is part of it (and I didn't even fully realize what they'd done till you put your finger on it, so kudos) but another factor is the kanai cube. It gives you a reliable-ish way to gamble towards specific build defining legendaries/sets, which makes advancement a lot easier. The economy also seems to make sense now in part because of the cube: farm GR for items and advancement, normal rifts for crafting mats and deaths breaths for kanai's cube. Also everything is way easier. I remember being scared of the ubers and now they're a joke.

It's not perfect: build diversity within and between classes is terrible, whole swathes of skills runes and items are unusable, but at least for now I find it pretty fun. Probably not going to buy the necro right away but we'll see how it looks.

Yeah Kanai's Cube is another one I have mixed feelings about, that patch was fun like a Christmas present - wow holy shit, look how many legendary bonuses I can get now! My character is twice as powerful now as he was yesterday, that rules! But it also undermines some other game systems, for instance the mutual exclusivity of legendary bonuses in certain slots as a limiting factor. Kanai's Cube opened up a ton of options which actually reduces build variety and increases mudflation, because when everything is possible then really it's going to be a handful of super-powerful synergies that outclass everything else.

That's why I'm really hoping for a D4 where they can start from scratch with the benefit of hindsight, and decide which systems from D3 to keep after having seen how they all played together. For instance, the Blacksmith is basically a relic, he's never been meaningful in the endgame. Gold is kinda useless these days. Runes are unnecessary now IMO, legendaries took over their role in 2.0. Nobody even plays in the game world anymore or fights the bosses (i.e. Bounties), Rifts rendered that all obsolete. Ubers were long since forgotten. Stuff like that. Don't get me wrong, D3 is better now than it ever was before, but I feel like it still has a lot of room for polish and refinement.

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    So what is a challenge rift and why should I, the casual scrub, ever care about them

also realms of fate

Challenge rifts are a weekly "event" of sorts. A random player's GR is selected, then everyone can run exactly that rift with exactly that character and compete for the fastest time.

You can try again as much as you like, but the first time you beat the owner's original clear time you get a reward box in the mail containing blood shards, gold, and bounty mats.

It doesn't completely replace running bounties of course, but it's still pretty decent for like 5minutes effort per week, and levels the playing field for people that want competition but don't have hundreds of hours (or desire) to grind paragon all season.

Realms of fate are kinda like when they added schesceron and greyhollow or whatever it's called. Light story elements and another possible location for bounties, rift maps, and some new monster types.

Both features are free with the patch and do not require necro.

Noggin on
    Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Noggin wrote: »
    Realms of fate are kinda like when they added schesceron...
    Thanks to Rick and Morty, I believe it is pronounced "Szechuan"

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    bought necro

downloading patch

will play tomorrow morning when i get home from tonight's night shift

I guess I am going to level it the old fashioned way, but I am not going to do story mode. Fuck that.

Also there is a chance I will get impatient and bug people for power levels :biggrin:

I can also give people power levels if they want (starting tomorrow)

Al_wat on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    uugh bought necro but i kinda want to hold off making one until the next season starts

why didn't the new season start today :(

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    corpse explosion is worth the price of admission alone

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Beasteh wrote: »

I came here to say the exact same thing. I hope it scales well, but it's super fucking fun. I also love how easy it is to get speed boosts with Bone Spikes.

Haha, you can fling the shit out of corpses if they land right. Use Bone Spikes to send them into the air and then detonate the corpse near it and they go aaaaaflying!

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Is anyone going to be powerleveling tonight? Trading powerlevels? Husband and I decided to get PL'd for new necros.

I'd be happy to PL someone else in exchange :)

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    ehhhhhhh.... not super impressed with the necro. way too much going on.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    EnclaveofGnomesEnclaveofGnomes Registered User regular
    Loving the necro. But I'm biased...played almost nothing but necro in d2 and have was incredibly disappointed it wasn't in 3.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I don't think the bone spear weapon is bad but it doesn't fit with bone spear very well. it needs a complimentary item either way, that's why bone spear sucks. it's like trying to run arcane orb with only unstable scepter, no triumvirate. bad.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »

I came here to say the exact same thing. I hope it scales well, but it's super fucking fun. I also love how easy it is to get speed boosts with Bone Spikes.

Haha, you can fling the shit out of corpses if they land right. Use Bone Spikes to send them into the air and then detonate the corpse near it and they go aaaaaflying!

corpse explosion is 100% viable in grift 70+

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    I am down to join the PL for PL train. I can just use any of my old characters right, since we're not in season? Add Fiatil#1181 if you happen to be interested -- my old demon hunter should be able to do it stupidly quickly.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Just wanted to say digging the heck outa necro so far. Melee caster who explodes bodies is my jam.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Army of the Dead is awesome.

Such a long cooldown.

But every time I use it I'm like "no, fuck you."

I'm a bit disappointed with the curses though. I'm sure they have their place in various specs, but I find myself hardly ever using them. Maybe once I start cranking up the difficulty.

RT800 on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    necro is super great

• Options
    ReddayeReddaye Registered User regular
    Enjoying the Necro so far. I've always enjoyed the dark caster who summons the dead archetype, and loved the Necro in D2 so I'm into this thematically. Gameplay wise I'm enjoying the fact I can focus my skeletons on a single target, something that already makes this class far more enjoyable to me than the WD. The skills all look and feel very cool, although some are obviously better than others.

My two major complaints are: Revives are slow and often take a good chunk of their duration to even get to their targets. I somehow doubt this skill is useful at high levels. It's an awesome ability but it's not very efficient. Also, the limited number of transmog options (ie: low variety of white quality items) is a big bummer. Hopefully they'll add more.

• Options
    EnderEnder Registered User regular
    Corpse Explosion is about the fastest way to blow up a room in the game. Chaining constant explosions is bae. Also, fuck fallen shamans, no bodies to res you stupid whore.

• Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Day 1 thoughts after collecting a few sets and most supporting legendaries:

Rathma is very strong, the build where you stay in Land of the Dead by mashing Command Skeleton is strong in GR but for regular rifts replace Land of the Dead with Grim Scythe as you won't always have a fat ass pack of trash to mash Command on. Overall my second favorite one. Being able to use the Death Valley rune of Army of the Dead semi constantly is very satisfying.

Pestilence is where it's at for me fun wise, corpse lance is a fun skill and teeth is still teeth. I like actually using corpse skills! This set doesn't scale nearly as hard as Rathmas which is kind of a bummer, and I felt very squishy.

I wish Corpse Explosion had a supporting set because it's great! I tried a Legacy of Nightmares build using all of the Corpse Explosion items, but cycling Land of the Dead kind of sucks when you need to use Zodiac to reduce the cooldown but none of your spenders have a big impact. I think I need to try this with an ancient version of the Bone Spear scythe.

Revive seems very not good, which is too bad. The minions don't move much and are too slow and dumb to put out substantial dps. Maybe I'm missing something?

Bone Armor is an awesome defense skill and I love the synergy it has with the Dislocation rune, Decrepify - Dizzying Curse, Parthan Defenders, and the Corroded Fang scythe that makes Grim Scythe auto apply Decrepify. Feels like an active version of Halo of Arlyse, my favorite Legendary in the game.

Walt on
  • Options
    SneakmanSneakman Registered User regular
    I leveled a Necro to 70 last night, something I did not think I would actually do. The new skills made it bearable to do the 1-70 leveling, and an ancient weapon with Gem of Ease made it go much quicker. Took about 2 hours. Now I'm ready to run some T6 rifts for set gear. I should be on late tonight.

Diablo 3 | Sneakman#1625 | S9 Multishot Demon Hunter
  • Options
    I haven't really settled on much with the necro (other than the general consensus that Revive is mediocre for what it does compared to skeletons)

Though leveling at T6 because you have 900 paragon is hillarious

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Is there a way to buy the necro as a gift for someone else? Buddy mailed me a bunch of old 40k stuff and I feel like this is a thing he'd use.

I don't think so, not directly.
    You could get a blizzard gift card for the amount and send that. Though, those tend to come in $20 increments...

• Options
    VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

I don't think so, not directly.
    You could get a blizzard gift card for the amount and send that. Though, those tend to come in $20 increments...

On the Necromancer webpage there is a plain "Gift" button

https://us.battle.net/shop/en/product/diablo-iii-rise-of-the-necromancer

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Question,: I've seen reports of people.leveling from 1-70 in absurdly fast times (approx 2 hours). Is this only seasonal stuff or just in general or what? I'm only playing in like 15 minute increments and I'm trying to go from 60-70 (68 now I think) and i don't know how you'd get through everything that fast.

• Options
    Question,: I've seen reports of people.leveling from 1-70 in absurdly fast times (approx 2 hours). Is this only seasonal stuff or just in general or what? I'm only playing in like 15 minute increments and I'm trying to go from 60-70 (68 now I think) and i don't know how you'd get through everything that fast.

It totally can be done. Level in groups on adventure mode and purposefully chain huge kill streaks for bonus xp, leoric crowns, gem of ease, cain set, paragon, etc.

• Options
    VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Naphtali wrote: »

It totally can be done. Level in groups on adventure mode and purposefully chain huge kill streaks for bonus xp, leoric crowns, gem of ease, cain set, paragon, etc.

some people (me included) also gem of ease'd level 70 ancient weapons/armor that were "generic" (usually based off of WD/Wizard runs prepatch) and equipping our necros at level 1. Gem of ease level 25 + item (I think that's it?) reduces an item's level requirement to 1. For reference, I was walking around with a +1000int, 2.8k dps one hander at level 1. Combine that with absurdly high "aggregate" paragon levels from seasonal characters, and some people were running around with ~5000int+ at level 1 for the necro. scaling through lower torments just doesn't have time to catch up, especially with corpse explosion+pet shenanigans.

edit: and all of it was possible because the next season hasn't started yet. on the season (7/20) everyone will have the same level ground to start on, and the strategies that Naph laid out will be king when that happens (for seasonal characters, of course)

Vladimer on
  • Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    why would power leveling strategies matter off season when a friend can multishot you to 70 in 15 minutes

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Walt wrote: »
    why would power leveling strategies matter off season when a friend can multishot you to 70 in 15 minutes

because not everyone has friends that play this

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017

Multishot is so Season 9. Impale is where it is at now.
    Just kidding, Multishot is still strong.
    Magic Pink wrote: »

All the Necros trying to level makes me want to power level everybody in the clan.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    RethiusRethius Registered User regular
    Holy shit. The necro is a lot of fun.

HOLY SHIT.

I'm basically a lurker from StarCraft that can create bodies and then blow them up. It doesn't get much better than this, folks. Diablo 3 has ascended.

• Options

not everybody played D3 super hardcore before

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular

because not everyone has friends

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »

Come join up with the PA clan and make friends. Or hang out in the PAF channel at least to ask for help.

But I agree, not everybody has friends to play D3 with or some people just like leveling themselves (or not burden others with asking for power levels).

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »

You're a necro, summon or raise friends to PL you

This discussion has been closed.