[MSPA & Undertale] Yes, Homestuck is actually over | Vol. 10 out now

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Sometimes I'm still kind of taken aback by how many samples from EarthBound that Fox uses for the Undertale soundtrack

dN0T6ur.png
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    It's not his most Secret Of Mana-y tune, though.

Enlong on
  • YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    That's so Secret of Mana that a giant tree grew out of my speakers.

edited April 2016
    There's a reason it's on a free fan-song album instead of one of the albums that are being sold for money.

edit:

Wait. I just realized how much of a non-sequitur my previous post is. Why did I mention Secret of Mana in response to a thing about Earthbound?

Enlong on
    Enlong wrote: »
    There's a reason it's on a free fan-song album instead of one of the albums that are being sold for money.

edit:

Wait. I just realized how much of a non-sequitur my previous post is. Why did I mention Secret of Mana in response to a thing about Earthbound?

Honestly I was kinda wondering that too. However, I contend that Toby Fox's most Secret of Mana-y Undertale track is Ruins:
    https://youtu.be/QyPR77rg1to

• EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Also, with all due respect to Basco, but does he really have any pull in Hollywood?

His best known role is "that kid from Hook" and sadly voice acting isn't highly respected.

I think the situation is less "Make this movie, as the guy who played Rufio decrees," and more "I know a guy who can help. Also, I actually something about how to make movies and you don't."

Personally, I'm interested in the idea of a Homestuck trilogy. A lot of things would have to be changed or cut, obviously. But it also would get rid of a lot of the clutter than might have detracted from the story, particularly in the end. I could see it working. Of course, they would have to put in a lot of work to get the movie ready to premiere on April 13th, 2018.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Today in Homestuck
    April 20
    2009: 5 pages. John continues cleaning up. We find there's a certain size limit to things you can captchalogue (since he can't store the doll). Also, we finally meet the Colonel. We are then given a choice of whether to go in the kitchen or the study, either of which could lead to a confrontation with Dad.

2010: 4 pages. John gently CHAOS DUNKs the bunny back into the PURPLE BOX. He makes a mental note to write a thank you to Rose (but thankfully realizes that tucking "it under her hair band" "would probably be creepy"). He also wonders about the odds of getting two bunnies in the same day. He then lets dear, precious Casey out of his sylladex. He decides that he'll leave Casey with Rose, which will be better for her than the "dangerous quest" he is about to embark on. He then notices that Rose is being messaged by a certain grimAuxiliatrix and decides to have a bit of fun. This is apparently the third conversation for "Rose" and thus GA's first. It doesn't start off as a prank, though. GA says that she is "Supposed To Antagonize A Few Members Of Your Species" but realizes that she's "Not Really Feeling This At All". John earnestly tells her that Rose is currently asleep. GA doesn't believe him, though, figuring this is the "Human Sarcasm" she has heard so much about, especially with regards to "The Rose Human". John realizes what he must do. "i am the rose human." "i am the queen of books." He then lets out some frustration at all the trolling shenanigans, saying that "you know we're just going to all be friends at some point anyway". GA finds herself wishing that the viewport on her client worked. John/"Rose" says that he thinks the trolls look like Howie Mandel and says that if GA wants to hear more about that she should contact John. GA wonders why "Rose" values the opinions of John, chalking up to him being their leader or that she has a "Mating Fondness For Him". John rolls with the latter: "i am basically in love with him, you are right." "heh just kidding" and he uses the chance to thank Rose for the bunny. This just confuses GA further ("Okay Human Courtship Is Definitely A Strange Thing"), but she takes John's advice to message him in the past "that will make the most complicated mess out of everything imaginable?" GA resolves to "Figure Out Whats Going On" and why she is getting "The Short End Of The Antagonism Stick". John warns here that in the past he'll just be confused, but in the future he'll already know all this, and they part ways.

2011: 5 pages, 1 flash: [ S] Terezi: Play tiny record. A CD that looks a lot like the Beat Mesa on LOHAC rolls out of the sleeve for the Midnight Crew record. It turns this disc is HOMESTUCK: DISC 2.
    4/20/2011 Page 5630
    [ S] Terezi: Play tiny record.
    Terezi puts HOMESTUCK DISC 2 into the record player with the expected results, provided you expected a very noticeable scratch across the disc that projects light.
    Apparently they didn't have compact discs back on Alternia. To prevent any further damage, she captchalogues the disc.

2012: No update.

2013: No update.

2014: No update.

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    So @Speed Racer and me have a podcast about homestuck and now I have a tumblr about me reading HS for the first time.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
    So the person behind So Sorry wrote something on Undertale and Toby and being a "Secret"

It paints the whole thing in a kinda bad light
    tumblr_inline_o5yfppkAar1qzbcet_500.gif

Okay, this has been a long time coming. Unfortunately, I wasn’t aware of threading comments on twitter so mostly I’m just grabbing what I wrote there and stuffing it in a text post to get it in one place.

Okay, hoo, here goes. So, seven months since Undertale. As Toby predicted, I was found in under a week - then found out shortly after. Now people say shitty things to me and about me legit all the time. It stings but, y'know, water off a duck’s back. I’m autistic, I’m fat, I’m poly, I might be NB, I have anxiety disorder, I’m on medication. I’m used to getting things slung my way. And I knew that once the connection was made to me in Undertale, it’d be same old story. We both knew how it would go. Toby warned me, expressed his concerns and asked me if I wanted to back down. I said “its worth it to be part of something I love so much”.

The problem is, some stuff had happened preceding that and surrounding that that kind of hurt.

Firstly, he was cool with me, loved my character, said nice things about me, agreed to a unique room, an encounter, a battle and NPC. Then someone said “hey, Sam’s a freak by the way”. I never was told who, only that someone brought it up to him. Ever after, its been pain. Now, unique area, npc, boss fight, encounter - all that stuff went to another backer, who I’ve since been told is his friend?

I didn’t hear much for two years. I waited patiently, hopeful the bad stuff was over, super excited for Undertale. Then one day he messages me near the end of development and asks if he can just shitcan the whole thing, refund the money. All the fun ideas we talked about got scrapped. I stood up enough to say “no, thats real unfair” and that was about it. In the end, we didn’t even get to see the lovely sprite Tuyo did for So Sorry’s front - we only get the back in the game. I think its probably okay for me to share this now - if she says otherwise, I can take it down, of course.

tumblr_inline_o5yfk5G4t91qzbcet_540.png

I love the fight, I love the game, but its all tangled up in so much stress at this point. I don’t feel like a “cool secret” as I was told about. I feel like a skeleton buried under the floorboards of a closet. People keep comparing me to Muffet and its not hard to see why. She’s really cool, I love her design and the battle is amazing. But she’s also an external creation and you HAVE to fight her before you are even ABLE to trigger the So Sorry secret for some reason. That and not even getting my name in the credits with the other monster designers it feels like yeah, he didn’t want anything to do with me.

And I’m done, I’m done feeling hurt about it. I’m done with the naysayers being enabled nothin being countered. I’m done doubting myself for ever wanting to be out in the open. I’m a real person. My life has meaning no matter what.

And it would have been fine if Toby had actually ever directly addressed any of it. Instead, it was “don’t harass my backers, no good will come of it” and “all monsters are good”. No good came of it - for me, at least. It wasn’t all your backers being harassed and they weren’t being harassed for being your backers. It was one developmentally challenged guy who wound up with a weird job on the internet. I’ve tried talking to Toby about it, as has Khato, as have a couple of friends we talked to about it. Toby doesn’t want to make a scene. He’s worried about the backlash I think? But he has nothing to lose and I had everything to lose by being so involved. And I’m tired of losing. I’m tired of being indefensible for existing. I already got hit by the backlash. I’m just tired.

Also Toby isn’t bad, I just think how he’s dealt with me has been kind of, uh, a little dehumanizing. Just all this stuff is really contrary to the meaning and moral of his game since I guess I’m the wrong kind of monster. And I’ve spent seven months dealing with the stress. Its affected my health and my work both and there’s no end to it. It feels good to finally get all that off my chest. Its been a long time in coming but its been killing me, very slowly.

tldr: toby was more invested in me being a secret than me being a cool secret and not standing up for me made me feel isolated and hurt

I appreciate all the well wishing by the way. Its been exhausting and the support means a lot to me (by the time of posting it to tumblr, there’s been an outpouring of it on twitter and oh my god I was not ready for that).

I hope one day people like me and my audience get to just be ourselves in our own little corners of the world without being denied happiness.

I don’t think I’m a great person or anything. I try to avoid hurting people. Some times I do. I know I’m not perfect. I make mistakes. But I’d like to think I’m generally an okay person and I just want to be treated with the same amount of respect as all living things

going forward, I don’t know what to do now. I don’t think I can talk to Toby about it anymore than I already have. It hurts too much. I didn’t want a refund, I just wanted to be involved in something that made me feel powerful emotions and give what I could back.

when the game was being kickstarted, I fell in love with it instantly. I spread the word to every person I knew. I explicitly asked if he’d want to do the fantroll thing and he said sure. When it came out, I spread the game to everyone I knew, everyone I cared about and a bunch of people I look up to and respect because the game means so much to me as it is and I wanted to share that good with everyone who might want it. I worked and saved up as hard as I could to be involved - as best as a low rent commission artist CAN do - and I did it again when the game came out and I saw people itching to play it. It means a lot to me - I have a lot of stuff going on in my life but it made me feel like maybe things would be okay.

but the longer I go on dealing with the stress, the less I’m sure things will be.

some people have asked about what the original plan called for. I don’t have it to hand but it involved him stumbling around his art studio, trying to draw a butterfly that wouldn’t keep still. silly and toothless stuff, but thats all the plan was for. Just something light and fluffy. I commissioned some art from Tuyoki of it at the time since she was open and seemed to want to work with me. We didn’t have a whole lot of interaction, but she never did anything that made me feel intensely alienated or anything. Thats the piece at the top of the post - again if she isn’t cool with me sharing the work, I can take it down from the post.

Finally, someone’s told me it may be even more complex and possibly worse than I was aware of. I won’t say anything specifically until I can find out. I don’t know what the case is and I don’t want to say anything based on supposition, only what I’ve experienced or understand. I guess I’ll make an addendum to the addendum if I find out more.

Thanks for listening, folks, and thank you for the kind words on twitter.

2ohWien.png
    That sucks.

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Part of me thinks this is just because Toby is basically not all the comfortably socially and doesn't know how to handle it, but then again that is a little more than just avoiding it.

I wonder if this had more to do with the other people Toby is involved with influencing his decision, because it does seem kind of odd.

• BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Then someone said “hey, Sam’s a freak by the way”. I never was told who, only that someone brought it up to him.

i think probably the Actually What Happened behind this bit is the real explanation here, though I wouldn't expect to ever know more about it
    http://samael.tumblr.com/post/131755830075/undertale-so-sorry
    kinda seems like they've turned around on things? this one seems so positive on how things had worked out

***^some nsfw stuff on that tumblr

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    too lazy to look up what so sorry is

but that post was quite disheartening.

vvv edit - thanks vvv

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    too lazy to look up what so sorry is

but that post was quite disheartening.

Short version, Toby had a kickstarter for Undertale. A lot of the upper-tier brackets let you make a character for the game. The lowest tiers were for NPCs. There were two "fightable boss" characters sold, and a "fantroll" at the top tier. The two bosses ended up being Muffet and Glyde, and the "fantroll" (not a troll in the game, but that was the tier,) was So Sorry. You may notice that Muffet is a non-optional encounter and often considered one of the game's high points. She's right up there with Napstablook and Monster Kid among the most popular supporting characters. Glyde and So Sorry, meanwhile, are hidden encounters. So Sorry requires visiting a hidden room on a specific time and day of the year.

There's a lot of negative reaction towards So Sorry and its creator, mostly due to So Sorry being the creator's online avatar and assorted cultures (likes furries) associated with him. Which, the internet being the internet, probably turned out as well as expected.

You know what I'm wondering about now, though? What's up with Glyde's creator? We never hear anything about them.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    something that bums me out a lot is that strictly speaking, so sorry probably shouldn't be in the main game, i don't think it tonally fits...but that just becomes a justification to people to be shitters about it

liEt3nH.png
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Should've fleshed out the anime club. If you tell Alphys you like Anime then you watch some with her and the rest of the club. So Sorry fits in, is optional, and a part of the story.

edit- he was Undyne's friend who lay on the piano eating grapes right?

Gvzbgul on
  • Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Should've fleshed out the anime club. If you tell Alphys you like Anime then you watch some with her and the rest of the club. So Sorry fits in, is optional, and a part of the story.

edit- he was Undyne's friend who lay on the piano eating grapes right?

Pretty sure that was Mettaton.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Mettaton, the robot?

• NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Mettaton, the robot?
    listen it's not about act of eating the grapes its about creating drama and ambiance

• PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    For a game that seems to promote acceptance of many a thing, I am very put off when it's accepting of everything... except this thing.

jCyyTSo.png
    You have no control, who lives, who dies, who joins your fandommmm

edited April 2016
    It is very hard to find fan art of the kids in MSPA that are not huge spoilers.

Also yeah, I just truly like Homestuck now.

Ms Dapper on
    2ohWien.png
    I can never decide if boxy Mettaton should sound like
    A) a monotone text to speech voice,
    B) a 1950's radio news announcer, or
    C) Calculon

Ms Dapper wrote: »

I was going to suggest trawling the old threads. So I'm back in the first ever thread (from near the end of Act 4) and while most of the links to fanart are broken there is some now retroactively hilarious speculation about the trolls.

Today in Homestuck
    April 21
    2009: 7 pages, 1 flash: [ S] John: Play haunting piano refrain. It's Showtime! John pokes around in his Dad's relatively restrained study, which contains a desk, a piano, a safe, a hat rack, several jester figurines, and some regular harlequin posters, and a giant wall poster of Cirque du Soleil. John swaps out his hat for the more distinguished bowler hat from the hat rack and managed to somehow insert a blank captchalogue card into his sylladex (instead of adding the card as another card in his sylladex). We also learn John has a peanut allergy.
    4/21/2009 Page 1977
    [ S] John: Play haunting piano refrain
    Audio: "Showtime" (Piano refrain version) by Malcolm Brown (arr. by Kevin Regamey)
    JOHN, still incognito, plays a haunting piano refrain.

2010: 6 pages, 1 flash: [ S] Rose and Dave: Shut up and jam. We meet and see more trolls! We get to see around the trolls' lab. The one presumably on the computer is GA, while behind her is a troll wearing sunglasses and using a cane, presumably GC. GA pesters twinArmageddons to figure out how to enable Trollian's viewport feature. He refuses, but he is then F1 BONK'd and hassled directly. Back on Derse, Dream Rose and Dream Dave jam to some tunes.
    4/21/2010 Page 3620
    [ S] Rose and Dave: Shut up and jam.
    Original audio: "Beatdown: Shitstorm Remix", "Browbeat", "Beatdown: Trance Praxis", "Strider Showdown", "Beatdown: Remix v. 3", "Unbound" by Bill Bolin
    Audio: "Unsheath'd" by Alexander Rosetti, "Welcome to the New Extreme" by Robert J! Lake, "Octoroon Rangoon" by Toby Radiation Fox, "Derse Dreamers" by Jeremy Iamurri, "Phantasmagoric Waltz" by Alexander Rosetti
    Dream Rose and Dream Dave jam, with the help of various objects around Dream Dave's bedroom, such as his scrawlings of SWEET BRO and HELLA JEFF on the walls (replete with compression artifacts!) as well as LIL' CAL.

2011: 6 pages. Terezi further explores around the debug room, finding two chests. The first contains her NEOPHYTE REDGLARE roleplaying outfit, which she immediately dons. The other contains PYRALSPITE, her most trusty scalemate. She hugs him, which of course when the mysterious shadow swaps him out for Lil' Cal, much to her horror. (honk)

2012: 6 pages. We catch back up with Jack, who is lying on the floor unconscious inside his Frog Temple. He fails to regain consciousness, and instead has a flashback to "years in the past... but centuries in the future". Dirk wishes Jake a happy 13th birthday. Jake wonders if that means Dirk has the head for the Brobot ready, and Dirk says yeah, provided there isn't another "manbro bukkake theater" incident, which Jake apparently hasn't bothered to look up the meaning of. Jake says that watching movies keeps him busy, and that he is specifically looking forward to Avatar, seemingly especially the sexy parts. (Then again, he is 13 here.) Dirk mocks him in the vernacular of Jake's times, saying that is "so gay". Jake doesn't get it of course, especially when Dirk indicates that he's already seen it and thought it was dumb. Dirk is successfully able to transportalize the robot head. Jake is amazed at Dirk's skills but Dirk reminds him that "if you told someone a hundred years ago you could build a computer they'd probably be like whoa shit, look at this fuckin' genius". Jake still doesn't get it ("its not like youre from a century in the future") and displays his usual lack of self-awareness ("nor am i some quaint man of the past"). Also at this point is when Dirk started thinking about making the auto-responder to "share some of the load", though he doubts that it will be successful. Dirk also finally decides to explicitly tell Jake the truth: he is from the year 2422, or "as we say contemporarily, 411 P.C.". Dirk says that he can only send items back in time "occasionally" and that the only reason he and Roxy (!) can talk to Jake and Jane is due to a "special" version of Pesterchum that allows them communicate in a certain lock-step fashion with the past. Jake thinks this is amazing, until Dirk is additionally able to explain that, as far as he and Roxy know, they are the only humans left.

2013: No update.

2014: No update.

2015: No update.

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular

I'm so sorry

IKknkhU.gif
    It was inevitable really. I think I didn't read it for all this time because I knew what would happen.

2ohWien.png
    We all liked homestuck once

Lets see how you feel when...wait whats your astrological sign

Aquarius

2ohWien.png
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    oof

BahamutZERO.gif
    Welp
    YaYa wrote: »
    ahahaha oh my god

I'm going through the original Problem Sleuth thread

between Muse and I slobbering on Andrew's asshole and our assurances to each other that it's almost done in September of 2008, it's some hilarious nostalgia

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Aquarius
    I'm so sorry

IKknkhU.gif
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2016
    trying to remember if there's a worse sign to have for homestuck
    ... nope I think she's got the worst one

I sure am glad I'm a cancer

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    Being Aquarius has given me nothing but trouble.

Fuck the ocean

2ohWien.png
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    god, I'm an aquarius, and I'm still bitter

This discussion has been closed.