As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Most Artisanal of Cozies [Artsy Farts and Crafty Asses]

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I just looked at that site. Cue anime drool.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Sweater one sleeve away from completion:

Sx7iLvn.jpg

But instead of finishing the knitting on that, I've spent most of today learning a new craft: needle felting. I've often admired needle felted objects I saw, but I didn't know until recently how easy it is today. Felting needles and roving were delivered yesterday, so as a first project I just made some felted hearts:

C9shzMX.jpg

My goal is actually to use this as a clothes embellishment, I even tried an experiment on one of my sweater discards, which I'm glad I attempted but soon realized an applique the size I want to do will take all the stretch out of my garment, so I'll save it for something woven next time:

JvSRAva.jpg

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Happy New year, loves!

My knitsolutions for the year

Knit socks
    Knit an adult garment
    Dye some wool for myself to use
    Practice spindling

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    My craftsolutions:

Finish. Goddamn. Anything.

I loooooove starting things. Not so great with finishing them.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I don't remember if I was posting in the house thread or here, but whichever

I made and installed a bar for the sliding ladder I'll also be making!

Then I'll finish the top shelves!

82zm1h5ccsnf.jpg

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Craftsolutions:
    Learn how to put a proper, tarnish inhibiting finish on brass jewelry.
    Get something into the Desert Bus Craft-a-long
    Finally effing rip the band aid and sell something.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Craftsolutions:

Actually post the stuff I've been wanting to in here. I lurk in here, but I've made a couple things this year for real this time!
    Practice some more elaborate stuff.
    Profit?

• Options
    mccartmccart Registered User regular
    Not sure if it'll work for your jewelry but I use linseed oil on brass hand-plane and other brass woodworking tool parts and that seems to work pretty well. I'm usually aiming to prevent rust on the steel/iron parts of my tools but I put it on the brass bits too and they seem to stay bright. Polyurethane also seems to work I think but I've only had that on a bevel-gauge for about three months now so haven't really tested that long term.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    First ever knitting project completed!

lhWhu2i.jpg

I'm looking forward to trying this in different colors.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I am, no lie, seriously impressed with the shoulder seams on that sweater. It's hard (for me, anyway) to get them looking that good on a human-sized sweater, and yours look pretty much perfect on a miniature version :rotate:

• Options
    Calica wrote: »
    I am, no lie, seriously impressed with the shoulder seams on that sweater. It's hard (for me, anyway) to get them looking that good on a human-sized sweater, and yours look pretty much perfect on a miniature version :rotate:

Thank you! I've been sewing sleeves for years and actually find sweater sleeves about a billion times easier than sewn sleeves. "Easing in" the sleeve was always a big production for me with a sewn project. It ain't no thing with a knitted object.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Craftolutions: actually get started on my online jewellery biz, keep it stocked/don't get so down about other things that I let it slip.

Make gift work for my favourite LRRs-folk.

Get back into drawing on the reg.

Maybe figure out something for desertbus

Edit: maybe do some design work for that pun-named Fighter Game I came up with a whole back.

Do some story work on the comic concept that's even older.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Craftsolutions:
    Learn how to put a proper, tarnish inhibiting finish on brass jewelry.
    Get something into the Desert Bus Craft-a-long
    Finally effing rip the band aid and sell something.

dude, do this. your work is excellent and etsy makes it so easy to sell stuff

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    What's this desert bus thing?

Also how hard is it to do customizable things on Etsy?
    If I had a base project with a few variable options or something like that?

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Radiation wrote: »

Desert Bus is an annual online charity marathon for Child's Play. They solicit small creators in the community to donate prizes for auctions or giveaways which they call the "Craft-a-long". People selected make things specifically for the Desert Bus giveaway that are not their normal offerings, always nerdy or gamer related stuff. The handmade stuff they auction are alongside stuff they get from big game studios and such.

I've already planned out a couple things I want to make and offer for the craft-a-long this year.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    @Radiation you can set up individual listings for each of the variations if you want, or you can do one that describes all the options and then make a custom listing when someone wants to buy

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options

Desert Bus is an annual online charity marathon for Child's Play. They solicit small creators in the community to donate prizes for auctions or giveaways which they call the "Craft-a-long". People selected make things specifically for the Desert Bus giveaway that are not their normal offerings, always nerdy or gamer related stuff. The handmade stuff they auction are alongside stuff they get from big game studios and such.

I've already planned out a couple things I want to make and offer for the craft-a-long this year.

When do you need to sign up for this? I'm working on something that I have basically no idea what to do with. >>

• Options
    Toddlers make finding time to work on this stuff difficult. I'm closely following this youtube pattern that I can't understand because it's all in Russian. So far not much is happening.

vbqwu3btik7y.jpg

Suddenly, witchcraft.

638pqr0bryy2.jpg

Seriously. I have no idea how she made this happen, but I followed along and now mine looks like hers. It's like copying something out of a spell book word-for-word and thinking this is stupid and it won't actually work but then it does.

• Options
    ceres wrote: »

When do you need to sign up for this? I'm working on something that I have basically no idea what to do with. >>

When they start accepting submissions for the next Desert Bus run they do an open call for crafters on the DesertBus Twitter/Facebook/ect account. This Last year they started accepting around June, with final physical receipt of the submissions of the stuff at the end of September.
    So, it's a ways off. I'll try to remember to post it on here when I see the submissions open up.

• Options
    Which color combo do you think works best?

1:
    rEON4gf.png

2:
    GvKHNf4.png

3:
    XNX4QyZ.png

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Personally: 1

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    1 or 2, probably agree that 1 is the better of them

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm thinking about delving into my yarn castoffs and knitting a gin bottle cover (don't ask).

• Options
    Consensus from here and Facebook seems to be that #1 is the favorite, so going with that one. Thanks for the input.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    @tynic I have a great fashion project for you during this brutal New England winter

8d8808c996b8e426d99db67ebf2e81ef.jpg

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    honestly right now that looks like a completely practical response to winter

• Options
    what ... what is it supposed to be?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Matryuska (sp?) outfit

There's 4 more layers

• Options
    fashion cocoon

stay inside it all winter and in the spring you'll become a disgusting butterfly.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I'm thinking about delving into my yarn castoffs and knitting a gin bottle cover (don't ask).

Well now I have to ask

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    fashion cocoon

stay inside it all winter and in the spring you'll become a disgusting butterfly.

zW3d3zH.jpg

• Options
    ... well I'll be damned

9KhU5ks.png

• Options

I remember reading about that dress somewhere, it's an avante-garde wedding dress.

• Options
    Cambiata wrote: »

I remember reading about that dress somewhere, it's an avante-garde wedding dress.

Y'all are making me question my sanity at this point

qtnIogL.png

• Options
    Hilariously I think I just looked up "weird knitting" but I love that the same image is literally under "avante-garde wedding dress cocoon"

• Options
    The original Yves Saint Laurent wedding dress, from 1965, looks less like a cocoon, and more like a...

ckvSjt9.jpg

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    it's a tampon.

it's a tampon wedding dress cocoon.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Yes thank you I was waiting for a lady to make that observation

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    it's a tampon.

Ha ha, I was thinking a dainty condom.

• Options
    Cambiata wrote: »
    it's a tampon.

Ha ha, I was thinking a dainty condom.

I don't think I've ever seen a condom with a bow on it.

But, that might make it more entertaining...

No. That would make me laugh. And just keep laughing.

I mean, so would a tampon with a little bow on it.