Options

Cooking: Welcome Back to the Good Food Thread.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Well she's got a De'longhi Micalite. Which as far as I understand it is a proper espresso maker. What difference that makes as to what kind of grind she needs I know not!

Price-wise I'd probably cap out at around £40, but would rather closer to £30. I plan on getting a few other bits and bobs too.

Campy on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    For that much just look at the sunbeam coffee grinder. It's a solid entry level grinder.

• Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    She needs something that's going to be able to grind beans very fine, and handle darker, potentially oilier roasts without clogging. Such a thing does not exist at that price point, but at double that price you'd probably want to look at a Capresso or a Bodum brand. Most of the lower cost electric burr grinders will not grind finely enough for espresso machines.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    So I've gathered so far...

1. Buy electric, manual being too much of a timesink/ballache.
    2. The required fine grind for good espresso means getting a decent burr grinder (as oppose to a blade grinder).

I'm too much of a cheapo saving up at the moment, so despite point #2 I'm gonna have to stick to my price range. It does seem at the very least that I can get a burr grinder rather than blade. De'Longhi even do one for about 35 squids, which will please the wife having everything match.

Thanks for the input everyone, much appreciated!

Campy on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I DRINK A LOT OF COFFEE

also I drink p strong coffee? So I use about seven tablespoons a day I guess

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    they're large loaves. i usually will make a plain challah and then just top it with different things.

usually butter. And honey.

CHALLAH IN PROGRESS. DOUGH IS CURRENTLY RISING. WILL UPDATE FURTHER.

• Options
    RandomEncounterRandomEncounter Registered User regular
    You could always hook up a hand grinder to an electric drill. That's what we do at the office. like this kinda https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LaWFuPOoYs

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Also I may have made a mistake making a single loaf because I forgot my family is a giant gaggle of hearty Midwesterners.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Also I may have made a mistake making a single loaf because I forgot my family is a giant gaggle of hearty Midwesterners.

Yeah that was a schoolboy error

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Mission: successful.

20161124_145752_zps54nllero.jpg

Edit: man, photobucket's mobile site is a dumpster fire.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    ohgod that looks so good.

I want to lick my monitor.

@Metzger Meister well done! Now, you slice some off, but a generous helping of butter, and then drizzle on some honey.

Trust me.

arrrgghh why do I not have any yeast.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    @Metzger Meister very well done! That looks incredibly tasty!

Also I second @lonelyahava 's suggestion regarding butter and a drizzle of honey. I remember having challah like that as a kid and it was the beeeeest

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    So I'm pretty proud of these potatoes au gratin I made for Thanksgiving dinner

bJTXvvRl.jpg

They've got gruyère and parmesan in them along with heavy cream and a bit of salt and pepper. They turned out really well.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Nice dude! We make those every year and they are NOT easy, nice job

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Thanks! I don't often make stuff entirely from scratch like that, it was pretty satisfying!

• Options
    The bread was a smashing success! My older brother wants me to make stromboli with it. My mom wants to do chocolate ganache filling. Needless to say, everyone loved it.

Personally, I think eventually I'm gonna try a cinnamon sugar version, maybe for breakfast on Easter or something.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Man, black friday / cyber monday is a thing here, but not thanksgiving
    that sucks

I want turkey
    all the time

oh by the way, here's a dumb question: how long does miso paste keep and, uh, how do you keep it? Ziploc bags? I've been getting back into cooking asian stuff, and unless I start having a bowl of miso every day, which, while it sounds appealing, is unlikely, I need advice
    Shrimp paste is a similar issue, but I use that way too rarely to keep any in the house at all, I think

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I've got some brown (they call it white but it looks brown)miso I bought several months ago and it's just in the container I bought it in and hasn't grown fur or started talking to me.

But I have no real idea how long it's supposed to keep.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Man I dunno how long it lasts technically but I've kept miso around for months.

But I also always buy it in tubes or tubs, so ymmv?

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    The bread was a smashing success! My older brother wants me to make stromboli with it. My mom wants to do chocolate ganache filling. Needless to say, everyone loved it.

Personally, I think eventually I'm gonna try a cinnamon sugar version, maybe for breakfast on Easter or something.

Challah? You need to make some French toast with that bread.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    Helped out with Thanksgiving dinner yesterday by making risotto in the slow cooker:

1UTt2fp.jpg?1

xet8c.gif

• Options

Challah? You need to make some French toast with that bread.

That's what I said!

• Options
    I think I need to try making risotto sometime

I just found a recipe for some bacon risotto that is going on my list

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I don't know how well bacon would soak up the stock, so you might want to add a bit of rice

:p

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    My favourite risotto is risotto milanese made with bone marrow.

it's insanely rich but god it's gorgeous

• Options
    V1m wrote: »
    My favourite risotto is risotto milanese made with bone marrow.

it's insanely rich but god it's gorgeous

coincidentally I will be in Milan for the holidays

(this dish was already on my must-eat list)

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Think I'm going to make a ton of Pancetta in the next few weeks

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    what is miso anyway
    fermented something paste, I think I remember, but what...
    *internet search*
    oh, soybeans, that's right

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Yay I got back my cookbook, so I can finally name the thing I made with a friend recently: Bun Cha
    what it is is a vietnamese dish, teensy tiny ground pork balls (with shallots, garlic, fish sauce and sugar) are grilled and wolfed down with a chicken-based broth, rice noodles, bean sprouts, lettuce and heaps of thai basil, cilantro and mint. Plus some vinegar/chili mixture and pickled radish&carrot
    it's da bomb yo

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Made some AMAZING turkey meatballs! I want to eat all of them.

Yassssssss
    kjuekg9n8dwt.jpg

DAT. BROWNING.
    0dfp41bbyb6y.jpg

The recipe for these actually calls for three types of meats, but I usually make it with just beef. I decided to healthify it a bit this time around and make it from ground white turkey meat, and once it's in pasta sauce it's honestly pretty hard to tell the difference! Every time I've used this recipe to make beef meatballs for other people, they've said "these are the best meatballs I've ever had", so I HIGHLY recommend you guys try it out! :) And like I said, the recipe is SUPER delicious regardless of meat type, so go wild. My one tip is to be mindful of how large you cut the onion - I've cut the onion in slightly larger chunks before, and although the flavor is still amazing overall, it makes the meatballs a bit more likely to fall apart.

Recipe:
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/anne-burrell/excellent-meatballs-recipe.html

NightDragon on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Made a tiny mountain of flathead (...under a mountain of parsley)

qdpeftuy5ts1.jpg

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Two meals this week I'm proud of:

Pork chops, seared and then simmered in an apple juice and bbq sauce reduction glaze, with steamed broccoli and sweet potatoes. It's the sweet potatoes I'm most pleased with - I sliced them into discs, scored the tops and spread on a little bit of butter to give the salt, pepper, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg something to stick to, and then roasted on a cookie sheet at 400F until they were cooked.

EVPuwNvh.jpg

Next up, (store-bought, for now) gnocchi with crimini mushrooms in a garlic cream sauce with fresh grated Parmesan

501PqI9h.jpg

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Those are some beautiful goddamn sweet potatoes. I crave.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    the pork chop and the sweet potatoes made me start salivating

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Those sweet potatoes look amazing.

• Options
    RightfulSinRightfulSin Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Ok, anybody got any good healthy(high protein with veg and w/e) soup/stew/dish revolving around pork shoulder? Store me got it on sale for 88 cents per pound and I wanna grab some and make lunch/dinner for the next while. I am thinking of making it slow cooked then breaking it down into a soup with veg and bean, but I have not personally tried it. I have made slow cooked pork, but not the re-purposing.

EDIT: or maybe some kinda of chili riff? Not sure. Ideas?

RightfulSin on
    "If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Hey cooking thread! I just bought a 4qt Dutch Oven and I'm very excited to cook something in it. Anyone have any good recipes? I want to break it in!

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Just got a Vegetarian Chili going in the slow cooker. this evening going to cook some rice and Corn bread to go with it. I should have dinner for tonight and the next few days. I'm excited.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Oh man this whole page is beautiful
    ya'll have brought some wonderful meals to your slice of earth

VayBJ4e.png
This discussion has been closed.