As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Points of interest in [KY]

Redspo0nRedspo0n Registered User regular
So we're going to be vacationing in Elizabethtown Kentucky this summer - mostly to visit with the In-laws, meet the youngest child and such.

My wife, who spent a big portion of her life there, apparently has no idea what 'cool stuff' there is to do in the area - instead thinking that hanging out at the local Mall should be plenty of entertainment.

So I call on you good people! What kind of neat stuff is there to do in/around the area? Willing to put in drive time for day-trip type stuff, like I know there's a smallish Zoo in Louisville. A special eye towards kid-friendly is appreciated as we will have 6 year-old and a 1 year-old with us, but kid free adult time is not out of the question either.

Thanks folks!

"Hey, want a Skull Servent? He's Evil."
XFIRE:redspo0n (Yep, Zero in there) XBL: Pinkspo0n

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    About an hour south of where you will be is Mammoth Cave National Park. I went there for a week as a kid, probably 20 years ago or so. I'm not sure how little kid friendly the cave tours are, but they were pretty awe inspiring when I was there.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Redspo0nRedspo0n Registered User regular
    I looked at the national parks page for it, but they dont allow strollers (or tripods or metal-frame hiking packs or kid-carrier packs) and by all accounts is a mild-to-moderate hike. It something I'd love to do when my kids are a bit older, but my youngest would end up being carried the whole time. Which isnt something he'd tolerate well anyway.

"Hey, want a Skull Servent? He's Evil."
    XFIRE:redspo0n (Yep, Zero in there) XBL: Pinkspo0n
  • Options
    KiplingKipling Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Kid free? Bourbon tours for Maker's Mark and others are in that area. They cost money.

With kids, I suggest searching for something with horses in Louisville/Lexington. Louisville has derby related horse stuff. There is also a nice science center for kids.

Most state parks are on reservoirs where you can usually rent boats/pontoons or just be at a beach. If you are there on a full moon, look up Cumberland Falls which is has a moonlit rainbow. But that would require a overnight stay for how far away it is, and you need do to it at about 9 p.m.

Kipling on
    3DS Friends: 1693-1781-7023