As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dark Souls 3 has some deep lore

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    I kept invading the same guy tonight in lothric castle and killing him at the same part of the level.

I almost feel bad

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    If only the crystal rapier had the offhand parry like the regular rapier. Then it would be more useful.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Houn's Totally Not Scientific Test

Objective: Hit those undead right past the first High Wall bonfire.

Fire: 280
    Raw: 280
    Chaos: 280

So... Either it's a terrible test, or that shit don't matter.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    what does chaos infusion do

it occurs to me that i haven't the foggiest

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I thought it was just fire but with extra lava damage.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »

Fire damage and scales off int and faith. It's for pyromancers.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular

Adds fire damage and some serious INT + FTH scaling, because you're a pyromancer now.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Houn wrote: »

It could be that they only have 280 hp and all those are doing at least that

Try a tougher enemy

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    oh, so regular fire infusion just has zero scaling. basically fire infusion is DS1 fire and chaos is DS2 fire

that makes sense

• Options
    knitdan wrote: »

It could be that they only have 280 hp and all those are doing at least that

Try a tougher enemy

Perhaps later. I only have one more fire gem.

• Options
    PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    All this hype for Dark Souls 3 has got me intrigued about getting a copy on STEAM. However, I wasn't a fan of the 1st or 2nd game, I assume this is more of the same, but with refined mechanics? I need some convincing.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    And, beat the game tonight.
    last boss was crazy easy and I beat him in one try. He was also really boring and just kind of a flavorless Gwyn reskin?

And the ending was brief and kinda boring, as usual. I looked up other endings and same deal. It seems like extending the age of fire is the only "good" ending, as presumably life during that time is more like your regular fantasy world - normal life, beneficent gods, etc. It's just that every time, the fire starts to dim and the cycle might go either way.

It seems clear that the dark endings are all pretty bad. Two of them are you becoming a dark lord.

All in all, probably my favourite entry in the series in terms of gameplay and overall level design, but a really weak ending. The whole experience was better in 1, and basically nothing new has been broached since 1, which is probably why.

• Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    Sooo how badly did I just bork myself?
    Im in Cathedral of the deep. Found my way to where all the slug people are and was exploring the area. Saw one that looked like one of the casters across a room so I arrowed it to death. Thought it was odd that I got the Red Sign Soapstone out of that and upon getting closer after clearing the room, realized that it was an NPC from the messages on the ground. It was just outside the room with the Bedchambers Bonfire

So, yep, my first tiem accidentally killing an NPC in Dark Souls. Did this one bork me out of any PARTICULARLY good quests or anything?

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Im in Cathedral of the deep. Found my way to where all the slug people are and was exploring the area. Saw one that looked like one of the casters across a room so I arrowed it to death. Thought it was odd that I got the Red Sign Soapstone out of that and upon getting closer after clearing the room, realized that it was an NPC from the messages on the ground. It was just outside the room with the Bedchambers Bonfire

So, yep, my first tiem accidentally killing an NPC in Dark Souls. Did this one bork me out of any PARTICULARLY good quests or anything?

That wasn't an npc, you're fine.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    And, beat the game tonight.
    last boss was crazy easy and I beat him in one try. He was also really boring and just kind of a flavorless Gwyn reskin?

And the ending was brief and kinda boring, as usual. I looked up other endings and same deal. It seems like extending the age of fire is the only "good" ending, as presumably life during that time is more like your regular fantasy world - normal life, beneficent gods, etc. It's just that every time, the fire starts to dim and the cycle might go either way.

It seems clear that the dark endings are all pretty bad. Two of them are you becoming a dark lord.

All in all, probably my favourite entry in the series in terms of gameplay and overall level design, but a really weak ending. The whole experience was better in 1, and basically nothing new has been broached since 1, which is probably why.

I would honestly disagree with your feelings on the ending. In my opinion it was strong as all get out
    The final boss is literally all the possible DS1 builds that could have linked the fire. Faith, Dex/Pyro, Quality. It was a lovley trip down memory lane.

And with his Final Phase being Gwynn, it just all makes sense. You beat the shit out of all the Lords of Cinder, culminating in the final two lords of Cinder left, The Chosen Undead from Dark Souls 1, and Gwynn himself. It's fitting that the Chosen Undead turns into Gwynn, since, well, you ATE GWYNN'S SOUL TOO in Dark Souls 1.

As for the endings themselves, I feel like they are the best variety you could ask for.

You have:

Two Dark Souls 1 endings. Both linking the fire and becoming the Dark Lord, proving Kaathe may NOT have been full of shit.

A Dark Souls 2 ending, letting the fire fade for something new to begin(CURIOUS THIS ENDING INVOLVES THE FIREKEEPER HUUUH I'm joking...but SERIOUSLY)

And a Demon Souls ending, where you are just a goddamn monster.

It felt like a nice close to the series, and provided not only ways it could continue, but more importantly, multiple endings where the series ends.

• Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    Eugh, I think this is why I'm frustrated with a lot of the enemy design in this game:

All in NG:
    Iudex? Four tries. (I started as deprived, zero ranged attacks and two hits till dead made him hard, shut up)
    Ice doggy armor thing? Two tries.
    Rotten tree? First go.
    Big hat? Two tries.
    Chorus of assholes? First go.
    Abyss watchers? Two. (first death was bad luck, 2nd phase cutscene dumped him right on top of me when it ended, instagibbed)
    Demon king? Three. Fuck self destruct moves. :x
    Ghost skelly man? First try, though to be fair I knew what his 'weak spots' were already so didn't have to flail around in the dark.
    Pontiff? First try. People were talking this guy up like the next Fume knight or something, but I think he was closer to a weaker version of darklurker, really. Oh, and he's allergic to chaos fireballs.

You get the idea. Not really that hard.

Now for the HARD BOSSES.

- fucking dogs in the winter city. Killed me like twenty times for reasons best described as "god fucking camera what the hell swinging all over what the hell is shooting me I can't see fuck fuck fuck".
    - red eyed skellymans. At least a dozen times in the catacombs, because they can cover the entire lock-on distance in the time I'm trying to get the goddamn UI to actually lock on, and then stunlock me until death.
    - Anything in heavy armor. So THAT's where all the poise went! Shame it all evaporates when I equip their armor set after farming them for it....
    - CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABS
    - Any of the Izalith demon brigade. I didn't die to them much, but jesus they all had ridiculous health and it was the most unfun place to fight.
    - And on that note: Big things in small corridors: prepare to barf edition. Seriously, how did they even *fit* some of these fuckers in here? If the camera wasn't already bad, now it's trying to find the center of a tennis ball shoved into someone's small intestine.
    - Seriously, fucking crabs.
    - Any enemy that rushes you in threes or more. No matter how weak, if they touch you, have fun being stunlocked. Poise? What poise!
    - You get the idea.

I mean, c'mon, how are bosses supposed to be threatening when half the enemies can kill you in two hits/one combo already? And generally no camera issues with bosses!

There is something seriously wrong when I look around a corner and see THREE DOGS and it's pretty much the secret boss.
    Prisca wrote: »
    All this hype for Dark Souls 3 has got me intrigued about getting a copy on STEAM. However, I wasn't a fan of the 1st or 2nd game, I assume this is more of the same, but with refined mechanics? I need some convincing.

Honestly, if you didn't really like the first two, I wouldn't. It's more of the same, some of it more refined, but with most of the flaws magnified. Two is probably the "easiest" one to get into.

• Options
    So, uh, I just noticed exactly what some of those statues are surrounding the DA boss area.
    iaohdbb61op5.jpg

Uuuuuuuhhhhhh... sup, toothy serpent?

• Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    So, uh, I just noticed exactly what some of those statues are surrounding the DA boss area.
    iaohdbb61op5.jpg

That would be darkstalker Kaathe from the first game.

Or Frampt(?) I guess, they look the same.

Either way, that's goddamn horrifying.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    offensive miracles have literally never been good in pvp minus wrath of the gods so whatever

nobody shoots lightning on their pvp man

It's not all that great to shoot lightning in pve either, frankly.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Re:end boss phases
    I saw him do a couple of moves that changed, but he lasted about 30 seconds in each phase, mostly swinging horizontally toward me and me rolling then taking off about 15% of his health bar. He was easier and simpler than a Lothric Knight. Bleh.

I guess anticlimactic last bosses are a tradition though. At least with Gwyn it had impact.

This game basically had no climactic moment, for me. A bunch of similarly paced areas, bosses at the end, one quick boss and then you sit down in front of a fire, the end.

I was kinda hoping for something new to happen but I guess that's the point? Eh.

• Options

You didn't bork yourself at all. That guy lives to die. It's how you're supposed to get the red sign soapstone.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Idk what to do anymore every path seems to lead to an enemy I can't beat. Dead ends all around and I'm tired of grinding.

• Options
    Astale wrote: »
    iaohdbb61op5.jpg

That would be darkstalker Kaathe from the first game.

Or Frampt(?) I guess, they look the same.

Either way, that's goddamn horrifying.

Yeah, I know what it is.
    Can't tell which one it is, though. Not to sound racist, but they all look the same to me.

Also, yes. Nightmare Fuel.

• Options
    The dancer's twin swords are so pretty. If only they weren't terrible.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Having not played a Souls game before I got this a day or two ago on PC on a whim, and have been enjoying it on my brand new Xbone controller.

I have yet to obtain the gud though, partially due to playing with a big fuckoff wrist splint and partially due to having a lot of trouble learning attack tells on bosses and certain minibosses.

It's a good bit of fun though!

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    I saw him do a couple of moves that changed, but he lasted about 30 seconds in each phase, mostly swinging horizontally toward me and me rolling then taking off about 15% of his health bar. He was easier and simpler than a Lothric Knight. Bleh.

I guess anticlimactic last bosses are a tradition though. At least with Gwyn it had impact.

This game basically had no climactic moment, for me. A bunch of similarly paced areas, bosses at the end, one quick boss and then you sit down in front of a fire, the end.

I was kinda hoping for something new to happen but I guess that's the point? Eh.

More story discussion:
    The story and setting of DS3 is rather a mess. The fire is suppose to be in its last throes causing the bell to ring and summon the Lords of Ember to defend the flame--except they all just kind of wander off. Only Lothric seems openly hostile to rekindling the fire but the rest bugger off for no discernible reason. Plus for an age and possibly world that should be truly ending it's never felt more alive. Yes, all the denizens may be undead or unkindled but the world didn't feel like it was ending any time soon as implied by the gloomy, oppressive atmosphere in DS1 and DS2.

There are some theories here of this being all an illusion or possibly time travel, but regardless none of the endings do anything about this failing cycle and the end of the age of fire. Rekindle it? Alright, let's the age go on a little longer. Let the fire fade, become a dark lord or become the lord of hollows? Some unkindled is eventually going to come along and overthrow you and relink the fire.

I'm hoping for a secret ending change brought along with the DLC like Scholars of the First Sin to elevate my opinion. The secret ending of DS2 gave me too much hope for DS3 when the story in fact boiled down to "remember how much you loved DS1? let's just do that again".

/opinions

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular

Ahem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4BNAU7C_F4

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Nope, the stuff listed for the endings is pretty final.

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »

More story discussion:
    The story and setting of DS3 is rather a mess. The fire is suppose to be in its last throes causing the bell to ring and summon the Lords of Ember to defend the flame--except they all just kind of wander off. Only Lothric seems openly hostile to rekindling the fire but the rest bugger off for no discernible reason. Plus for an age and possibly world that should be truly ending it's never felt more alive. Yes, all the denizens may be undead or unkindled but the world didn't feel like it was ending any time soon as implied by the gloomy, oppressive atmosphere in DS1 and DS2.

There are some theories here of this being all an illusion or possibly time travel, but regardless none of the endings do anything about this failing cycle and the end of the age of fire. Rekindle it? Alright, let's the age go on a little longer. Let the fire fade, become a dark lord or become the lord of hollows? Some unkindled is eventually going to come along and overthrow you and relink the fire.

I'm hoping for a secret ending change brought along with the DLC like Scholars of the First Sin to elevate my opinion. The secret ending of DS2 gave me too much hope for DS3 when the story in fact boiled down to "remember how much you loved DS1? let's just do that again".

/opinions

I have to agree with the comment on the liveliness of DSIII.

Lordran was for the most part pretty empty. Undead Burg and Sen's had like 2 dozen enemies in them and Anor Londo is an illusion. The most populated place is probably upper Blighttown ironically, or Izalith if you assume the demons have some kind of community. Every other faction appears to have a max of ten guys to their name.

DSIII has the entire Undead Settlement, which appears to be a bustling town. Sure the inhabitants are all insane cultists, but there's some kind of society/civilization present. Likewise for the Cathedral and Lothric Castle.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular

You didn't bork yourself at all. That guy lives to die. It's how you're supposed to get the red sign soapstone.

Just so long as you didn't accidentally kill that cage-o-hollows NPC in the Undead Settlement.

• Options
    Arthil wrote: »

Ahem.

I've seen people wreck people with the worst possible weapons. But the dancer's twin swords not only have split damage, but triple split damage. That's extra terrible. In the time it takes this guy to chip away at that novice, he could have obliterated his opponent a few times over with the warden twinblades by exploding healthbars with bleed procs.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Garthor wrote: »

Just so long as you didn't accidentally kill that cage-o-hollows NPC in the Undead Settlement.

I assume that's a joke. That guy is pretty much completely useless. He's only there to give an insanely cryptic hint.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »

Ahem.

I've seen people wreck people with the worst possible weapons. But the dancer's twin swords not only have split damage, but triple split damage. That's extra terrible. In the time it takes this guy to chip away at that novice, he could have obliterated his opponent a few times over with the warden twinblades by exploding healthbars with bleed procs.

Dancer's bread and butter isn't in Spin2win.

It's L1's control a TON of space, and when they hit it's basically a twohander hitting you twice.

At 91 I'm chunking people for half their health with an L1/L1

After that I just bait out spin to win and the fights over.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2016

if testing a damage it will apply base then scaling/enchant damage as a seperate number, if something doesn't have the health to survive the base damage you won't see the total damage

I found this out testing faith spell damage

override367 on
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Hmm, it said I had invalid game data, so I deleted my characters and reinstalled. But now it still says I have invalid game data. I'm kind of afraid to play if I'll end up getting banned.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    So I figured out that titanite shards, or whatever the first tier of materials are called, are grindable.

At what point should I start being careful about selecting my upgrades?

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    So I figured out that titanite shards, or whatever the first tier of materials are called, are grindable.

Until you can buy them all in infinite quantity from the handmaiden. 'Till then, just stick to 1 or 2.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2016
    MegaMek wrote: »
    Honk wrote: »

Until you can buy them all in infinite quantity from the handmaiden. 'Till then, just stick to 1 or 2.

Ahaa, thanks!

So with new ashes for her she stocks them? I gave her two ashes but I didn't notice.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    Around half way through the game you'll start getting the ashes that let you start buying them. They're really expensive, but by the end of the game that stops mattering.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    As soon as I got the ability to buy Titanite Shards, I bought like 12 to immediately bring another weapon up to +3. Since then I have bought no more regular titanite shards, I just beat the second lord of Cinder and shortly before that I noticed that titanite shards I've been finding have been going into my storage box. I'm literally over 100 titanite shards now. So... yeah, enemies start dropping them like candy from about shortly after you can buy them yourself.

It's silly.