As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is Soylent safe to Drink?

wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated mediaRegistered User regular
edited April 2016 in Help / Advice Forum
So I started drinking Soylent awhile back - everyone's favorite futuristic meal-in-a-bottle:

FTj005G.jpg?1

I wasn't using it as a total meal replacement - I just had a couple bottles of 400 calorie Soylent 2.0 a day. I really liked the stuff! I think it helped me lose weight - having a bunch of quick-and-easy nutritionally balanced meals on hand helped me avoid junk food. And as a vegan who doesn't always pay enough attention to having a balanced diet, I liked the idea that Soylent might be helping fill in any gaps in my nutrition.

But here's the problem: it seems like Soylent has had continuous problems with mold and food safety. Way back when they were first starting out, Vice toured their facility, and tested the product, and they found a rat, and mold:
A few of the packets were infested with mold, but that didn’t bother me; I was a beta tester after all, and the packaging hadn’t been finalized yet.
...while we were at the Soylent factory, we saw a rat...
The company's responded that that was back when we were using cheap warehouse space - they've since, apparently, moved to a more professional food production facility. Problems solved?

Well, not so fast - reports started pouring in of people were opening up their Soylent bottles and finding mold inside:

60nrWwb.jpg?1

It seems like the company was initially cagey about the mold - at first not talking about it, and then only admitting to "11 isolated incidents", which apparently is "well within the industry standard rate of one in 10,000 defects in low acid aseptic packaging", whatever the hell that means. But they eventually admitted there was a larger problem You can read their press releases about this here.

Apparently, they started putting foil soils on the bottles to help prevent mold. Has it worked? I'm not sure, and in any case, it doesn't matter - because the Soylent I have doesn't have the seals.

Anyway, when I started hearing all this stuff about mold and rats I got pretty nervous. ...And then I happened to read an article about the salmonella peanut butter deaths - remember those? - unsanitary peanut butter facilities, filled with mold and rats, lead to peanut butter getting infested with salmonella, which lead to hundreds of people getting sick, and several deaths...

And then I saw it - mold at the bottom of one my Soylent bottles.

...Now, I didn't notice the mold when I first drank the bottle, and I'm a slob so this thing was sitting around for weeks. So the mold probably just formed after I drank it. But I still freaked out - I emailed Soylent's customer service and said I wanted to return all my unopened bottles of Soylent for a full refund. They said that they would happily refund me, but that they didn't accept returns.

And so here I am - stuck with a bunch of Soylent I'm a little afraid to drink - about 30 meals worth:

xKslG8s.jpg?1

Should I drink it?

Should I throw it out?

I'm reluctant to just throw out 30 square meals - it seems so wasteful.

But it also seems silly to risk my health. ...But how much of a risk it it, really? Everything is a little bit of a risk, after all, and I'm young and relatively healthy...

And if I do throw it out - do you think it would be safe to try Soylent again, say, in a year from now, if there aren't any further reports about problems? Or is this a company that I should write off forever?

(Let's try and keep this discussion on the safety of Soylent and avoid it spiraling into a broader Soylent discussion.)

wandering on

Is Soylent safe to Drink? 52 votes

Drink 'em!
51%
DarmakMysstMulysaSemproniusTayaKarlMai-KerobowenkedinikGabriel_PittDouglasDangerFoomyBlazeFirecolawarsForbe!BurtletoyBasarZilla360Casually HardcoreApogeetinwhiskers 27 votes
Throw 'em out!
48%
JasconiusAlistair HuttonMorkathNightDragonTaranisBedlamTychoCelchuuuXaquinMichaelLCFuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudNovember FifthNarbusLoveIsUnityminirhyderCabezoneLocal H JaySatanic JesusDaenrisDonovan PuppyfuckerDisruptedCapitalist 25 votes

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Drink 'em!
    Just for my understanding

This is the soylent where it's already mixed with water (I think) so it's ready to drink?

It's not the powder that you need to mix yourself.

I would have thought the premixed and ready to drink stuff has a shorter shelf life anyway?

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    If the mold is easy to see, look at it and see if it's moldy.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Throw 'em out!
    Regardless of the mold problem, there are a lot of nutritional issues with Soylent you can find in a few minutes of google searching. You are likely better off making more permanent changes to diet and adding more exercise for weight loss than a gimmick food.

That said, assuming you love the stuff given that the mold problem is well documented and that you have seen it personally, I'd assume the entire batch is tainted and at least order another. Sending the company photos might allow for a free shipment and/or refund.

Enc on
  • Options
    Drink 'em!
    I wasn't actually aware of the bad nutrional issues with Soylent but still, I reiterate you should drink it if it's not mouldy.

I'm assuming you've been storing them properly and they're within use by date.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Throw 'em out!
    Depends what color. Red and yellow are OK, heard some strange things about the green variety.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Throw 'em out!
    Get your refund and toss the remainder. Don't take a chance. If you really like the idea of drinking all your meals, go with an established reputable company.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Is there seriously a drink named Soylent? /shakes head
    edit: is it green too?

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Throw 'em out!
    Toss it.

also, it's people.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Soylent comes in bottles now? They should have stuck with powder.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    And here I was, all excited about my soon to arrive case of Soylent.

:|

a nu start on
    Number One Tricky
  • Options
    Drink 'em!
    You could do it on a bottle by bottle basis?

Just open a bottle, pour it in a glass. Is it good? Drink. If you see mould then of course dump it

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Drink 'em!
    Well if they are moldy that's something you'll be able to see when you open them. As for the rat there are going to be a couple rats in any food production facility located in a major city. People trap them and what not, but the rats have been winning this fight for millennia.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Drink 'em!
    Yeah don't drink right from the bottle, empty it out.

No good reason to waste them.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Is the mold a result of lack of preservatives? I remember people freaking out about Capris Sun with mold in it because they don't use preservatives so now they made the pouches clear on the bottom so you can check before you drink.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Is the mould green? ;P

How is it, anyway? I really wanna try it out, but there doesn't seem to be a 'one bottle' option? And no powder option anymore? I am blind, you can still get the powder. Not much of a savings, but at least there's probably no risk of mould.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Drink 'em!
    The bottles mold up on the inside several days after you open them, yes. It sounds like that is probably what happened to your bottles. I don't think there's anything to be worried about there (with respect to the unopened bottles).

I gather that if there is mold near the top of a bottle when you open it, then it is probably due to a sealing problem with that particular bottle.

If you open a bottle and there is no mold visible on the top of the liquid, then I would drink it.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Drink 'em!
    Enc wrote: »
    Regardless of the mold problem, there are a lot of nutritional issues with Soylent you can find in a few minutes of google searching. You are likely better off making more permanent changes to diet and adding more exercise for weight loss than a gimmick food.

That said, assuming you love the stuff given that the mold problem is well documented and that you have seen it personally, I'd assume the entire batch is tainted and at least order another. Sending the company photos might allow for a free shipment and/or refund.

I'm not familiar with what you're talking about.

I tried to google it, but I'm mainly finding emotional screeds that rail against the idea of phasing traditional foods out of your diet.

kedinik on
  • Options
    Throw 'em out!
    The nutritional content is problematic in that it pushes incomplete proteins, a wonky balance of supplements, and more soy than most should consume in a month in a few days worth of beverages. The chemistry generally speaking isn't healthy for a sustained diet.

As a replacement for something like a weight watchers shake for lunch, probably not a big difference.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Drink 'em!
    The nutritional content is problematic in that it pushes incomplete proteins, a wonky balance of supplements, and more soy than most should consume in a month in a few days worth of beverages. The chemistry generally speaking isn't healthy for a sustained diet.

As a replacement for something like a weight watchers shake for lunch, probably not a big difference.

The closest thing I saw to a fact-based argument was, yeah, the idea that tofu harms you if primarily eat tofu proteins for a long time. The articles I found did not back up this claim with citations to studies or summaries of studies.

I did some digging on this a few years ago when I thought about going vegetarian.

Take it with a grain of salt, but my amateur understanding based on reading the abstracts of some studies is this: (1) some people are anxious about being somehow harmed or weakened by consuming the phytoestrogens in tofu—estrogen makes you weak, and phytoestrogens are like estrogen, and you don't want to be weak, do you?; and (2) there is no good basis in science for anxieties about whether tofu somehow harms you or fails to provide adequate long-term proteins.

kedinik on
  • Options
    Throw 'em out!
    Considerable soy intake has been directly linked to both prostate and breast cancer (which for those with a history of these cancers in their family is a considerable factor for when planning a diet). It's not just a bonkers sapping your vital energy.

You have to drink a considerable amount for any linked issue, which is why soy rich diets generally are considered not a great idea for most people. Regardless of the delivery mechanism, Soylent or otherwise, it is a real dietary consideration when making any major health change.

If I were considering switching to a soylent based diet I'd consult with my GP and family history first.

• Options
    Drink 'em!
    Wait the bottles mold if you open and then drink them over several days? Well yeah.

Why would anyone do that though?

If I open and leave a weightwatcher's shake out, even in a fridge, it'll be pretty nasty after several days.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Drink 'em!
    ...Now, I didn't notice the mold when I first drank the bottle, and I'm a slob so this thing was sitting around for weeks. So the mold probably just formed after I drank it.

*facepalm* Of course it got moldy in a few weeks after you opened it... I think most people didn't read that far in your question.

If you want to feel better, pour each one into a glass before you drink it.

• Options
    SavgeSavge Indecisive Registered User regular
    Throw 'em out!
    I like the idea of Soylent, but their implementation is awful.

Don't make a soy nutritional shake part of your regular diet. There's plenty of soy free dairy free alternatives. Look for stuff made with pea protein.

• Options
    Drink 'em!
    Considerable soy intake has been directly linked to both prostate and breast cancer (which for those with a history of these cancers in their family is a considerable factor for when planning a diet). It's not just a bonkers sapping your vital energy.

You have to drink a considerable amount for any linked issue, which is why soy rich diets generally are considered not a great idea for most people. Regardless of the delivery mechanism, Soylent or otherwise, it is a real dietary consideration when making any major health change.

If I were considering switching to a soylent based diet I'd consult with my GP and family history first.

That's part of what I was talking about.

Among other concerns, people are anxious that soy phytoestrogens might increase the same cancer risks that are seemingly increased by estrogen. I gather the science has tended to show that those concerns are unfounded and, if anything, that significant soy intake might both decrease prostate-cancer risk and increase the efficacy of prostate-cancer treatment.

• Options
    Throw 'em out!
    kedinik wrote: »

Among other concerns, people are anxious that soy phytoestrogens might increase the same cancer risks that are seemingly increased by estrogen. I gather the science has tended to show that those concerns are unfounded and, if anything, that significant soy intake might both decrease prostate-cancer risk and increase the efficacy of prostate-cancer treatment.

I'm not gonna fight you about this, but for what Its worth my opinion on this topic comes from my family GP, a established and pretty damn decent doctor with years of experience. Compared to "what can I google" I tend to value that expertise. Your miles may vary.

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Drink 'em!

I have been curious about soylent since I'd heard about it when it was in beta but the soy content kinda put me off for the quoted reasons you guys have mentioned.... there are studies (I know, I know... "studies" the classic internet source of information) that link high levels of soy consumption to decreased testosterone/increased estrogen levels in men, where "high levels" are quoted as low as 25g of soy protein per day. At 20g per container it put me off of the product a little bit (history of prostate cancer in the fam on my dads side).

That part aside, for the OP, I'd say if you poor the containers into a glass and you can't see visible mold in the container or glass, I would imagine they're just fine. Any vitamin and protein rich drink left out for a few days is going to start growing gross stuff even at room temperature (I'm only speaking anecdotally from leaving a morning shake container on my desk and forgetting about it a few times over the years). If you've had them for any duration and they're not moldy by now upon opening, I can't see that they'd be rat-tainted.

Also I'm amazed that they could market and sell a drink like that without foil seals in the first place... it seems like it's pretty standard on any type of protein rich meal replacements or drinks you can find out there... even chocolate milk has foil seals!

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Okay so I can pour the remaining bottles into glasses to check for mold, and the mold I found was probably just from the bottle sitting out. Still, doesn't the company's reported mold problems raise broader concerns about food safety? Even if my bottles don't have mold, what about salmonella, or E. coli?

(Incidentally, to be clear, I didn't leave an unfinished bottle out - the bottle with mold on the bottom was fully drunk - just not sparkling clean.)

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular

I'm not gonna fight you about this, but for what Its worth my opinion on this topic comes from my family GP, a established and pretty damn decent doctor with years of experience. Compared to "what can I google" I tend to value that expertise. Your miles may vary.

Fortunately Pubmed and other NIH resources are now searchable via Google, so yes it's a decent source for actual scientific information (if you're diligent about sourcing)

Cursory glances at the most recent research a tracts seem to indicate the opposite of what your GP is telling you, but again ymmv

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Drink 'em!
    wandering wrote: »
    Okay so I can pour the remaining bottles into glasses to check for mold, and the mold I found was probably just from the bottle sitting out. Still, doesn't the company's reported mold problems raise broader concerns about food safety? Even if my bottles don't have mold, what about salmonella, or E. coli?

(Incidentally, to be clear, I didn't leave an unfinished bottle out - the bottle with mold on the bottom was fully drunk - just not sparkling clean.)

I would absolutely agree that mold in a product is a reason to question the overall safety of a food product, but mold and bacteria are two different things with different causes and AFAIK there haven't been any reports of bacterial problems with Soylent. Getting a bad jug of milk or container of sour cream (both have happened to me, and I assume most people) doesn't mean that that brand of dairy is going to give my family e coli or salmonella. It just means there was an issue with that batch or jug or container. I think maybe there's a bigger concern with Soylent because it's a newer synthetic (not the right word, but the first that comes to mind) food product that's "forumulated". It's not an apple or milk or a steak... it was combined from base compounds in a factory, but I don't think that makes it any more dangerous than another food on the market. They had a listeria outbreak here in BC in the last couple years with bag salad... SALAD!.... luckily I don't eat that stuff. :wink:

With the rat thing, I'm going to agree with Tinwhiskers. My fiancée's father has worked in the food manufacturing industry for decades with big name companies like Lucerne, old dutch, McCain's, etc (we're Canadian... maybe those aren't big names in the states... I dunno) and all of those major production facilities had a full time pest control guy on site. You have large bulk volumes of edible product around and you're going to have pests trying to get their fill. Sight of a rat doesn't necessarily mean sanitary problems with a product.

...hopefully the rats in question at the soylent plant were pests and not ingredients :lol:

That said, I don't know that I'd drink the rest of a six-pack if I found mold in one of my containers.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Drink 'em!

Not really. Occasionally you'll get moldy food, and if that's the case, they should be refunding it.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular

Yes, but "for weeks." That's plenty of time for some protein-heavy dregs to get yucky.

• Options
    Drink 'em!
    Practically any food amount of food left out for weeks will do that.

That's why we invented refrigerators.

• Options
    skinkbaaskinkbaa Registered User regular
    Throw 'em out!
    I would toss it.

steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Drink 'em!

you do not understand mold... google it. this is like saying oh wow this bread grew mold but it's just one piece of bread.

i'm changing my answer to no, don't drink it. don't consume products you're not sure about. however, a sealed product from a reputable vendor, i would trust. people are drinking this every day. it's pretty new though so sure, skip it if you want.

Listen, this is tough love, your knowledge of food safety is absolute garbage if you don't understand how mold grows or when it grows and you're just spouting buzzwords when you say salmonella and e.coli in this instance, because to use your two examples... salmonella is found in meat products. Soylent contains no meat products and is not made in a factory where any meat products are processed. e.coli could be transmitted through fecal contamination but given how soylent is made, that's not likely. that is more for either ground meat or food prep at a restaurant where a food handler contaminates. you might as well be worried about lead contamination (don't be worried about lead contamination)

i'm not a doctor though. just sell it and feel better. other people have brought up non spoilage issues that are considerations. i'm only saying your spoilage considerations are not very likely.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Well I decided to go ahead and drink the rest of the Soylent. I'd like to thank everybody for their input. I appreciate @Khraul in particular for giving a little bit of behind the scenes insight into food production and for reminding me that making food is generally a messy thing, which I guess is why they say don't look at how the sausage gets made.

Cheers.

HJltqoU.jpg?1

-

@OnTheLastCastle a couple of things:

I gotta be honest your tone is rubbing me the wrong way, and if you googled salmonella yourself you'd find out it is not remotely limited to meat products. And it's true that I don't know that much about food safety - that's why I asked the question in the first place.

The note about seeing mold in one of my bottles was kind of a side note - I did freak out when I saw the mold, but I already admitted that it was probably just from the bottle sitting out. I understand that mold grows on food that's left out. My main concern was the continuing reports of people opening new, sealed bottles of Soylent and finding mold inside, as well as Vice's report about seeing a scurrying rat in one of the production facilities. (If I remember right Vice also raised a little bit of concern about the dustiness/cleanliness of the warehouse they looked at, as well.) I thought all these things felt like red flags so I wanted to ask about it. The fact that this a relatively new, unestablished company added to my nervousness, too.

• Options
    Drink 'em!
    According to Google:

"Salmonella outbreaks are commonly associated with eggs, meat and poultry, but these bacteria can also contaminate other foods such as fruits and vegetables. Foods that are most likely to contain Salmonella include raw or undercooked eggs, raw milk, contaminated water, and raw or undercooked meats."

So could you get Salmonella from Soylent? Yes. But then again it's on the risk scale of fruit and veg.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Drink 'em!
    You're not likely to get salmonella from something not associated with poultry.

You're not likely to get e coli with foods not associated, at least somewhere, with poop (fertilizer).

You can still get them. If you didn't wipe down a counter correctly after cutting up some chicken, or you shit on your hands and forgot to wash them and decided to make out with your hand.

The mold you are seeing is an airborne mold that just set up shop because you opened a container and it's no longer pasteurized, or whatever aseptic technique is being employed. When food is exposed to air, after enough time (hours to days to weeks, depends on the food) bacteria and mold will begin to appear. Bread is the most common one, it molds quickly. Also even if you don't eat the actual part that's molded, you can still get sick, because the bacteria release toxins into the food. You may not see how far they are, the visible part is just a large enough colony to be visible.

I'm not trying to be condescending but I hope this helps you. Because I don't want you to get sick. Food poisoning sucks.

bowen on
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

this link from the CDC has them so far this year from pistachios, alfalfa sprouts, (vegan) meal replacement; in previous years there's pork and chicken (and turtles and geckos?) in there as well, of course, but about half of them are non-meat.

• Options
    Drink 'em!
    bowen wrote: »

this link from the CDC has them so far this year from pistachios, alfalfa sprouts, (vegan) meal replacement; in previous years there's pork and chicken (and turtles and geckos?) in there as well, of course, but about half of them are non-meat.

Typically that comes from cross contamination. Without getting too far into it, the factories were this stuff is handled is used for other foods where salmonella is more common, and sometimes it's handled by infected individuals who can't afford to call out of work.

Salmonella is another poop bacteria, more common in birds than mammals, and the reason why chicken is so high in salmonella is the way they're butchered in the US. Not really common in "non-live food" in the case of soylent.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Also chicken salmonella is way down along with pork trichinosis

This is just another step in the eventual goal to phase cooking out of world culture

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.