As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Involved in a fender bender, not even sure who is at fault

Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist KthulhuRegistered User regular
Fender bender is even overselling it. Basically I was at a red light, in the rightmost lane, which is turn only. I was looking left to see when it would be safe for me to turn. When I started my turn, I kept my eyes leftward because a sedan was turning right onto my street. About halfway through my turn I saw an SUV to my right and at this point we were practically already touching. My right mirror touched her left, and mine folded in, leaving no damage to either. But I think I scuffed the paint on her left quarter panel.
D5h947S.jpg

In any case, I can only assume that was me. We traded phone numbers and yesterday she got an estimate from a repair shop. For $634 which includes 11.5 hours of labor. I'm not the only one who thinks that sounds insane, right? In any case, I'm calling my sheriff's department today to see if there were cameras that recorded the incident. What I hope happened is that this lady came up next to me on the shoulder instead of staying in the lane, in which case I'm not paying for anything. But since I hardly remember anything else about how it happened, I can't really discount the possibility that she was legitimately ahead of me in line and I absentmindedly started turning before it was safe to do so.

So, assuming there's no evidence to determine what happened one way or another, what should I do here? She messaged me yesterday to hurry up and decide if I want to pay for her repairs out of pocket or use my insurance because she's going to start the process today, and I haven't responded yet. I haven't admitted to being at fault, and I honestly feel a little rushed for what is a purely cosmetic, minor repair.

Fake edit: I looked at the estimate she sent me again, and it looks like the 11.5 hours of labor and parts costs includes work on her rear bumper. The only possible damage I could have actually caused is what's shown in the picture above.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Were you in the proper turning lane?
    Unless you turned from the middle lane, the road had two right turn lanes she probably tried to turn from the shoulder. That is technically illegal and would make it her fault

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    There are three lanes at that intersection. Leftmost is turn only, middle is left turn and straight, right is turn only. I was in the right lane.

• Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    If the mirrors were touching on a right turn how do you hit the back quarter panel? This seems super shady, also always get an accident report even if the damage seems minor. I'm a bit curious to see if they can even get insurance to pay out without the report. I wouldn't pay for their repairs...

• Options
    KharnastusKharnastus Registered User regular
    Call your insurance company and move on with your life. :)

Car shit is a waste of your time, that is why you pay those blood sucking insurance companies. Make them do some work.

• Options
    KharnastusKharnastus Registered User regular
    Also, it most likely won't cost you anything up front if it is just damage to their car. They might raise your rates but assuming you don't make a habit of this you can argue them back down.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    E.Coyote wrote: »
    If the mirrors were touching on a right turn how do you hit the back quarter panel? This seems super shady, also always get an accident report even if the damage seems minor. I'm a bit curious to see if they can even get insurance to pay out without the report. I wouldn't pay for their repairs...

a lot of times you won't get a report/police show up unless there is a reported injury.
    the pictures will definitely help in your favor

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    how is your mirror only 20" from the ground?

• Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    The way I remember it, she was sort of at an angle to me, like she'd already started her turn. So as I pulled into the lane, my back right quarter panel was closer to her left one than our mirrors were.

|/

Like that ^. At the time I was sort of flustered because I was on my way to work, and had to turn around because I'd left something at my house, so this was the second time I'd left and it meant I was going to be late. Which is why I'm not 100% sure I wasn't just not paying attention and it might have actually been my screw-up.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    LOL at 11.5 hours of work for that. That would buff out.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    If you were in the right turn lane, there's not really a way that could have happened with you being at fault.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    though, honestly if they were replacing the entire panel (which they would) it could easily hit that cost. Body work is fucking expensive

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Maybe I missed this, but where did she turn from? If you were in the right most turning lane, turning right and turned into the right most lane. How did she end up there?

Were you turning on red into the middle lane and her going straight through (meaning she didn't turn or change lanes at any point)? That's the only way I really see you being at fault, and it sucks because you'd still be paying for her not really paying attention.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    General rule with accidents:
    1. Never admit fault unless clear (IE, if you rear-end someone without being pushed from behind, it's your fault)
    2. Contact insurance
    3. Don't lie on statements.
    4. Use reputable body shops for repairs.

Let things work out from there.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Is your car white and missing paint? Cause from the picture that looks more like paint transfer than 'scuffing'.

Honestly I think they are trying rip you off. Could you like give us an aerial view of the intersection or something. I just can't figure out how you can be turning right, she is doing something, your right(inside) mirror taps hers and you make contact with her rear quarter panel. Especially there where it flares in rather than out.

The geometry of it doesn't make sense to me.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    Never admit fault when it comes to auto accidents.

If you admit fault, you end up paying out of pocket, or your insurance rates go up for next 6 years or both. And as you found out, car repairs are outrageous. So never admit fault, and fight it on your insurance.

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    Here's the intersection on Google Earth.

I was in the right turn lane, and she was to my right, meaning she was on the shoulder. The more I think about it, the more I believe she had no business being where she was. As it stands, I'm going to tell my insurance company most of what I've already told you guys and try to let them sort it out. I'm pretty sure I'm not in the wrong here.

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Ah much more clear now with that picture.

I'd say it's not your fault at all, turning from the shoulder instead of the designated turning lane is totally not legal.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Wow, what a crappy intersection. That shoulder totally looks like a turning lane. But yeah, it sounds like she thought it was and sidled up to your right and you turned into her. Doesn't sound like you're at fault.

Did you get her insurance information? I would call them and speak to someone about her claim because they need to accept fault and not try to pin it on you. If you aren't getting anything repaired, you wouldn't need to file a claim (you would file one with her insurance if so) and your insurance wouldn't need to know.

Edit: Re-read the OP and it looks like she hasn't filed a claim yet? If that's the case, she's going to have to go through her insurance to get it repaired. You will probably have to talk to her claims adjuster to give your side (and maybe fight her assertion that you were at fault), but if you aren't getting repairs, you shouldn't have to do much else or be on the hook for anything.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    But she seems to think I'm at fault. I don't really know how to convince her otherwise, and she almost assuredly hasn't filed a claim because she keeps asking for my insurance info. Today she sent a text saying "Okay, you will send me a check or give me your insurance info so that I can claim. Please let me know today. Otherwise I will pursue legal advice."

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Tell her you want a second opinion on the repair. Have her go to your preferred body shop, and when they take a moistened shop rag and a flat edge and remove the rubbed on paint in 20 seconds, they can charge her for their time.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Give your insurance info and file your own claim like you said you were going to do. Not really worth any more detective work or worry, in my opinion.

• Options
    briguybriguy Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I'd let her pursue legal advice. Because it really looks like she was in the wrong, neither of you got an accident report or traded insurance info, and it's really not going to be worth her time.
    She needs to contact her insurance company, and let the insurance companies battle it out.
    Plus that price seems ridiculously high, I replaced a bumper and had repainting done from a dealership for less than that.

briguy on
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Do not give her your insurance information without receiving hers as well. Do not send her a check. If you haven't called your own insurance yet, do so. Get on record.

You should have exchanged insurance information at the scene, at the very least. A number of jurisdictions say you have to call the police for any collision and this is one reason why. You get an impartial party to make a report on the facts.

As it is now, it's her word against yours.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    You wouldn't even want to send her a check anyways. You'd pay the body shop for their invoice. She's trying to scam you and that's that.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    In this situation the cops probably should've been called as it was clear she was in the wrong but without a citation or police report the insurances might mark it as no-fault and make you guys both pay out of your premiums (she can still sue you, but will probably lose).

You deffo need to file a claim, give them all her information, make sure you have her insurance information, then give her yours. If she balks at having to give hers, just say your insurance is requiring it and once you've exchanged information it'll be going through them from now on.

Then she'll probably shut up, wipe off the panel with a cloth, and never talk to you again.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Do not talk to her anymore, File a claim with your insurance.

If she contacts you again direct her towards your Insurance agent and then don't say anything else.

Don't worry about any shit like threats of suing you, your insurance company lawyers will cover you.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I work for an insurance company in the claims department. Obviously your mileage might vary based on who your company is, but based on what you're telling us here, we wouldn't find you at fault for this. Lacking any sort of evidence (Witnesses, Police Report, Accident photos), insurance companies will generally always fall on the side of their insured. If you're saying you were on the very far right lane and the damage is to your passenger side/their driver side, then we would take your word they moved into the shoulder.

If I was you, I would just call her (don't message her if you can help it, you don't want any documentation that's later used against you) and just tell her to contact your insurance company.

And always call your insurance company/Police/Take photos. They can be lifesavers. And based on might experience, don't even bother with the cameras- unless they're from a business, you're never going to get the police/city to release them.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I may be wrong, but isn't the point of filing a claim to get the insurance company to pay for something? And wouldn't filing a claim with his insurance cause his rates to go up? What would he file for if she is the one with damage?

She could try to file a claim with his insurance, but they would probably deny it due to it being her fault and I would think she would have to go through her own. He should let his insurance company know about it in case they have to fight it.

• Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm not sure what TX is like but in, say, NY you're required to get a police report for any collision that results in an injury and/or $1000+ in damage (which at today's rates means "any body panel replacement"). Had you called the police then and there they'd probably have ticketed her ass for driving on the shoulder and that would have been the end of it. Was she the one who suggested handling it out of pocket? Cause it seems like the at-fault party is always the one who says that.

Regardless, get her your info, get hers in return, and give your insurance a head's up. If she does file a claim they'll be calling you roughly 0.017 seconds later anyway.

It's highly unlikely your rates would be affected given the tiny amount of damage, unless you're getting into accidents like this multiple times per year. I've rear-ended people at crawling speeds and not seen my rates go up because the damage is just insignificant.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    But she seems to think I'm at fault. I don't really know how to convince her otherwise, and she almost assuredly hasn't filed a claim because she keeps asking for my insurance info. Today she sent a text saying "Okay, you will send me a check or give me your insurance info so that I can claim. Please let me know today. Otherwise I will pursue legal advice."

You don't have to convince her of shit, Talk to insurance.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    ThreelemmingsThreelemmings Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    mts wrote: »
    a lot of times you won't get a report/police show up unless there is a reported injury.

This is 100% wrong by the way.* For future reference I would normally recommend getting a report from someone who can look at the damage and the intersection right then and there, as once you decide to exchange information or etc it becomes a civil issue which can turn into the mess of he said she said you may be looking at now. The best part is you can get a report and not make an insurance claim, just keep the report on standby in case someone ends up starting problems. Just contact your insurance company, let them know whats up, let them fight the fight.

*edit: The exception being like, snowstorm state of emergency type situations

Threelemmings on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    I may be wrong, but isn't the point of filing a claim to get the insurance company to pay for something? And wouldn't filing a claim with his insurance cause his rates to go up? What would he file for if she is the one with damage?

She could try to file a claim with his insurance, but they would probably deny it due to it being her fault and I would think she would have to go through her own. He should let his insurance company know about it in case they have to fight it.

It's to indemnify your loss one way or another. In some cases it's also to defend yourself, as insurance professionals are well versed in laws, assessments and have a lot of technology and tooling available to them to assist their insureds.

Also - Tobes is right - what she believes is inconsequential compared to what the insurance companies think. She was not in a lane and you were, so there's a very good chance you are not at fault.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's a super shitty intersection but it doesn't look like it's your fault. I could totally see how she thought she was on a valid lane.