As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fighting Games] Turns out character DLC is actually decided by junk food execs

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    I suppose it's like Sparking regeneration. Don't stop hitting the opponent and the health won't go up.

Or just nuke the place with a Genki Dama. :P

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blLrgnUgkjg

Dunno what's going on, something about clones I guess.

Android 21 seems pretty cool, hopefully she is and becomes playable once you beat the story.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Gameplay from the Paris' mini tournament. Check the channel for more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peb0Eg8iDoA

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    Namco-Bandai has taken down soulcalibur.com. It now just redirects to N-B's main site. Apparently they've also removed all mention of the series from their site, although I'm not sure when that happened.

I fear that the Legend has finally died. :(

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Woo Super Bronze.

I really need to get more comfortable using Karin's dash and her ex moves in general, so far I've been dealing with projectiles with jump ins and h-rassenha reads.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Rex Dart wrote: »
    Namco-Bandai has taken down soulcalibur.com. It now just redirects to N-B's main site. Apparently they've also removed all mention of the series from their site, although I'm not sure when that happened.

I fear that the Legend has finally died. :(

BUT THE SOUL STILL BURNS

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    A tale of bad decisions, eternally retold.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Had something configured weird and it started introducing significant latency to my controller without me realizing until after I quit trying to play and got back into menus. Just thought I was having a really bad run.

On a wholly unrelated topic, I'm suddenly remembering an article where research showed poor or unresponsive controls contributed more to increases in aggression after a gaming session than violent content.

:|

Kamar on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    Had something configured weird and it started introducing significant latency to my controller without me realizing until after I quit trying to play and got back into menus. Just thought I was having a really bad run.

On a wholly unrelated topic, I'm suddenly remembering an article where research showed poor or unresponsive controls contributed more to increases in aggression after a gaming session than violent content.

:|

Clearly a direct neural link is the path to world peace.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    I wouldn't be THAT concerned with SC.com going down. Nobody uses it, they never finished the content for the last game, and they still have the social media going.

Meanwhile, SNK planning on adding a new character designed by a Saudi woman.

Somewhere, Harada is wondering why bother if it's not a loli succubus.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Here is your list:

Power Stone - Holder gets guaranteed first hit in the match

Space Stone - Swap places with another player in the brackets

Soul Stone - Turn it into a best of 7 for your opponent (still best of 5 for you)

Mind Stone - Choose your opponent's characters and stone for them

Reality Stone - Rebind your opponent's buttons before the match

Time Stone - Negate someone else's stone

So, yeah, there's your first (last) MvC:I Capcom Cup tournament rules.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    Not sure if rebind or character select is more disruptive.

• Options
    Rebind, if it's unrestricted.

• Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    So everyone just picks "negate the power of your opponent's stone" right?

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    No these were basically trophies people got for winning qualifiers/tournaments, so only one person has each of them. Which basically means if you go up against someone with a stone just walk away because you wont win. Itll probably be one of the least interesting and most filled with one sided matches tournaments ever.

• Options
    Oh, so whoever has reality has already won the tournament then.

• Options
    You know, characters are nice, and all, but I want Champa's place to be a stage. Just buy the track from Moonlit Wilderness or something, it's fine.

thumbs_Dragon-Ball-Super-%C3%89pisode-107-2.jpg

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Oh, so whoever has reality has already won the tournament then.

Unless you go up against someone with the mind stone.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Apparently it's just three buttons remapped.

Still astoundingly stupid to have goofy drinking-with-friends level gimmicks in what I'm pretty sure is the first major tournament for the game.

Kamar on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    So that “guaranteed first hit” thing. Does that mean I can wait 90 seconds or so and you aren’t allowed to hit me?

• Options
    Time is the cancel-stone.

• Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    So that “guaranteed first hit” thing. Does that mean I can wait 90 seconds or so and you aren’t allowed to hit me?

I want to see this happen but I know it won't. It would highlight just how stupid the tournament is. Especially if it were the last fight of the finals.

• Options

Does that mean they aren't allowed to dodge? (nobody would ever allow that in Blazblue - Hakumen would just one-shot half the cast then)

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Does that mean they aren't allowed to dodge? (nobody would ever allow that in Blazblue - Hakumen would just one-shot half the cast then)

Haha. I can just imagine it. He waits for 8 stocks, activates the temporary unlimited stocks suoer, and 100% everyone in style as if it was a training mode combo movie.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    It would never happen, but I'd love to see the community ban together and intentionally screw these Stone properties. Like Power Stone person just jabs and walks away, while Space Stone person swaps places with the person they are about to play.

So actually use them, but in such a way that they provide no benefit. Or just not use them at all to really send Capcom a message.

But with lots of money on the line, no way that will happen. :)

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Partly the worst thing about it too is that it's basically all the pros that have the stones, so there is like zero chance that some up and comer is going to have a chance when everything is weighted so heavily against them. The cheeky ones like switching up a bracket or removing a game loss arent too bad. But switching up controls is completely busted, and picking your opponents team is similarly rough since no one plays every character. With HSD existing power stone is pretty broke too, because it will always force the other player to burn 2 bars just to survive the first combo, which will put them at like 25-50% health and no meter basically for free.

It boggles my mind how monster hunter world looks to be firing on all cylinders but the capcom fighting game team is playing russian roulette with a glock.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    The infinity stones thing sounds like a lot of fun, they give a player an advantage for one game of one round of the entire tournament

Grand Finals are potentially busted but only if the person who gets there in winners manages to do so without burning their stone along the way

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I would assume this just means the collusion levels will be off the charts this tournament, since all of the people with stones are buddies or at least well acquainted.

They'll just agree to use them in an amusing way then trade wins and/or split the pot.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    PLA wrote: »
    Time is the cancel-stone.

correct. I can't count.

stream
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    How to use the "Swap Places in bracket" stone.

Wait til finals about to begin. if not in finals, use stone on the best player in the finals.

Piss off EVERYONE.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    That list makes me wonder if some higher-up at Capcom isn't actively and maliciously trying to fuck over some other person or group involved with the MvCI development.

Capcom is typically incompetent and half-assed, not outright self-destructive.

• Options

Wait til finals about to begin. if not in finals, use stone on the best player in the finals.

Piss off EVERYONE.

to be fair, it's only to swap places with someone in the same seed as you. You can use it to dodge a really bad match-up but can't actually advance for free.

stream
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    That list makes me wonder if some higher-up at Capcom isn't actively and maliciously trying to fuck over some other person or group involved with the MvCI development.

Capcom is typically incompetent and half-assed, not outright self-destructive.

Hanlon's razor. The person in charge of fighting games has no clue what people care about and just thinks this makes for fun entertainment, reality TV style.

Of course, one of the variants to Clarke's third law probably applies too.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    As someone who doesn't ever watch fighting tournaments, I'm actually intrigued about the MvCI one just to see the stones shenanigans.

So I guess good job Capcom?

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Page- wrote: »

Piss off EVERYONE.

to be fair, it's only to swap places with someone in the same seed as you. You can use it to dodge a really bad match-up but can't actually advance for free.

So if you're in the Losers bracket and make it to the finals, can you swap with the Winners bracket finalist?

Taramoor on
  • Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    So Fox News anchor DLC confirmed?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Here is your list:

Soul Stone - Turn it into a best of 7 for your opponent (still best of 5 for you)

I want the Reality Stone Holder to change Up to X and then swap Left and Right directional buttons. You would be able to feel the flames of the other guys fury as he constantly flubs the buttons.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Here is your list:

I want the Reality Stone Holder to change Up to X and then swap Left and Right directional buttons. You would be able to feel the flames of the other guys fury as he constantly flubs the buttons.

If you can remap directions, why not just remap up, right, and left all to the same button (maybe an attack button, or pause?)

Hell, just remap pause to an attack and wait for your opponent to forfeit via pausing.

I ate an engineer
This discussion has been closed.