Options

Is this the last Democratic primary thread?

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    I don't think the Sanders campaign will acknowledge super delegates but the news will

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Clinton passes Sanders in CT

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Via the Guardian, AP now has Clinton ahead in Connecticut.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Pretty sure we can call PA-SEN for McGinty.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Chaka Fattah, an indicted Congressman on a money laundering/illegal contribution charge and a possible bribery charge, lost a primary challenge in PA's 2nd (Philly) to Dwight Evans

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    CT called for Clinton

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Evans was a bit old for a new rep but I voted for him to get rid of Fattah. Would have been nice to get the ranking member of appropriations from my district but dude is about to get crushed by that investigation.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Evans was a bit old for a new rep but I voted for him to get rid of Fattah. Would have been nice to get the ranking member of appropriations from my district but dude is about to get crushed by that investigation.

Yeah morally and strategically it was the better choice

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Fattah obviously couldn't stick around, but I'm not thrilled to have him replaced by someone neck deep in the school voucher movement.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Remember over the whole past decade when Bernie Sanders wouldn't stop crusading about how outrageous were the injustices in the Democratic presidential nominating process?

It's obviously an issue he cares about a great deal.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Maybe he could have joined the party sometime over the last decade and done something about it instead of only lifting a finger when he's running in its primary because running as an independent isn't a viable campaign.

No I don't.
  • Options

This is before the full allocation of delegates. Now that its nearly the end the polite fiction that superdelegates don't exist for the final margin is going to go away

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    Maddow: "This contest is effectively over."

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Even their nonsense spin lacks logical consistency with itself.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    SavgeSavge Indecisive Registered User regular
    Bernie needs 107% of the remaining delegates to win.

It's over.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I'd be more concerned about super delegates if they didn't support the person with the most pledged delegates.

Given that still hasn't happened I'm mostly just generally annoyed they exist.

• Options
    I love Priebus talking about Clinton's far-left agenda as the left can't stop hitting itself as it calls her a republican.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    I'd be more concerned about super delegates if they didn't support the person with the most pledged delegates.

I'm growing more comfortable with having an establishment 'Abort Launch' button given what's happening on the other side of the aisle.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    I love Priebus talking about Clinton's far-left agenda as the left can't stop hitting itself as it calls her a republican.

And you wonder why, before it got soured with time, "Third Way" politics were appealing.

If the right's gonna call you a far left loon, and the left is going to call you a centrist, may as well judo the two attackers into each other.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    I have mixed feeling on super delegates. On one had they annoy me. On another, they do provide some interesting measures of a candidate because working within the system to get backing, is a skill that will be needed since the other major party is going to have seats in Congress and even in the same party, there is a disagreement.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

I'm growing more comfortable with having an establishment 'Abort Launch' button given what's happening on the other side of the aisle.

Eh, in theory I agree. But the reality of the situation seems to indicate that the party is screwed no matter what in a situation where delegates go against the wishes of the voters.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Which is why the supers will never go against the wishes of the voters. It's mostly just a badge of honor for the loyal, a perk. Had the primary concluded with Bernie winning more of the pledged, they'd have flipped to support him instead.

Any situation where a "Left Trump" might occur is one in which it wouldn't really matter what the supers did anyway, because the party would be fucked regardless. Source: The GOP.

• Options
  • Options
    I'm glad we have superdelegates, and I have a feeling they'll be much more important and make more sense as we see the rise of Internet Age politicians.

Trump has shown it's feasible for any internet troll to run for President and maybe even win if they just put more research and planning around their platform. Think about, in the future we might see a President with the same character as Trump but with enough actual political experience to be dangerous. If that doesn't scare the shit out of you, you haven't fully thought this through.

There has to be something in place to stop these fringe candidates, because clearly we can't rely on voters. Thank God for super delegates IMO.

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    For those of you who follow prediction markets, Bernie is now #4 for the dem nomination after Warren and Biden. Makes sense if you assume the only way Hillary loses at this point is health or legal troubles.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Savge wrote: »
    I'm glad we have superdelegates, and I have a feeling they'll be much more important and make more sense as we see the rise of Internet Age politicians.

Trump has shown it's feasible for any internet troll to run for President and maybe even win if they just put more research and planning around their platform. Think about, in the future we might see a President with the same character as Trump but with enough actual political experience to be dangerous. If that doesn't scare the shit out of you, you haven't fully thought this through.

There has to be something in place to stop these fringe candidates, because clearly we can't rely on voters. Thank God for super delegates IMO.

Trump has to be superdelegated out before we can claim that stuff though

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod

The button doesn't actually do anything. If they had it, and pressed it, they would quickly discover that mislabeling a self-destruct button does nothing good. The fundamental problem over voter revolt over [whatever] does not go away. They, in fact, remain in total theoritical control. If they desired it, they could rewrite the rules to say whatever it is they wanted and elect whoever they wanted.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    They stop a contested convention in a 40-35-25 situation. Superdelegates have a use.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    The actually reasonable use of superdelegates is to trick the media into reporting the establishment candidate's delegate total as higher, so they look like they have more momentum/inevitability. This is a perfectly acceptable and useful thing to do.

Also, they're important in a rare, specific, but dangerous situation where a Trump-like figure is poised to hijack the party--it's possible that the superdelegates tanking the candidate (but probably losing the election) would still be a better scenario than letting that candidate in and fighting for them in the general. Basically it's arguable that right now the GOP would do better in the long run to repudiate Trump and lose than let him represent them (and then probably still lose), and the same thing could potentially happen on the D side in the future.

But the actual important use of the superdelegates is the first thing--a thumb on the media scale.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    KiplingKipling Registered User regular
    The GOP problem is that they made everything winner takes all in their primary system. That let Trump get a 100% of delegates in some states with only a plurality.

The current Democratic primary might allow the same thing. A regional candidate could prevent either front runner from securing enough delegates.

3DS Friends: 1693-1781-7023
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Let's say we have a primary just like this one and the front runner is Joe Schmo. On May 9th, with the race almost won one of the following occurs:

Joe has a stroke
    Joe is diagnosed with a terminal disease or cancer that is potentially terminal requiring extensive treatment
    Joe is caught on camera saying explicitly racist stuff that many consider disqualifying and/or could permanently damage the relationship of the party with the black community
    Joe is found with a dead boy

Without supers the candidate can effectively not be stopped and you could have a dead candidate walking.

And I don't think the outrage people predict would occur. Obama won pledged delegates but partially because Michigan and Florida were effectively disenfranchised and no one cared. People are largely complaining about the delegate system because Trump and Sanders are. It'll be a forgotten footnote by June and not brought up again for (assuming Clinton wins) 8 years.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    Let's say we have a primary just like this one and the front runner is Joe Schmo. On May 9th, with the race almost won one of the following occurs:

Joe has a stroke
    Joe is diagnosed with a terminal disease or cancer that is potentially terminal requiring extensive treatment
    Joe is caught on camera saying explicitly racist stuff that many consider disqualifying and/or could permanently damage the relationship of the party with the black community

Without supers the candidate can effectively not be stopped and you could have a dead candidate walking.

And I don't think the outrage people predict would occur. Obama won pledged delegates but partially because Michigan and Florida were effectively disenfranchised and no one cared. People are largely complaining about the delegate system because Trump and Sanders are. It'll be a forgotten footnote by June and not brought up again for (assuming Clinton wins) 8 years.

Without supers, the delegates agree on a new rule: Candidates require a unanimous vote to win on the first ballot. Problem solved!

• Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »

Joe has a stroke

I believe in this scenario pledged delegates could rewrite the rules so that they are no longer pledged. I'm not 100% on that but my understanding is that they can basically do whatever they want.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I feel like pledged delegates mass rewriting the rules is much worse as a panic button than superdelegates

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    I feel like pledged delegates mass rewriting the rules is much worse as a panic button than superdelegates

Not really. In both cases you're appealing to the electorate with "We have a good reason for doing this, srsly". You can yank the nomination from a guy with 80% of the delegates if, for example, he pledges allegiance to ISIS.

Basically, the superdelegates only "help" when they're not needed because a rules change would be seen as equally legitimate.

• Options
    AbbalahAbbalah Registered User regular
    Tenek wrote: »
    milski wrote: »

Not really. In both cases you're appealing to the electorate with "We have a good reason for doing this, srsly". You can yank the nomination from a guy with 80% of the delegates if, for example, he pledges allegiance to ISIS.

Basically, the superdelegates only "help" when they're not needed because a rules change would be seen as equally legitimate.

Even under your premise the superdelegates would still be needed to avoid a contested convention in a 3-person 40/35/25 race; in that scenario the pledged delegates would all want their guy to win and would be unlikely to vote for a new set of rules that would let the guy with 40% get the nomination uncontested.

• Options
    Funny how no one had a problem with Obama using super delegates to get the upper hand on Clinton back in '08.

But now when Hillary does it people want to bitch about it.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Savge wrote: »
    Funny how no one had a problem with Obama using super delegates to get the upper hand on Clinton back in '08.

But now when Hillary does it people want to bitch about it.

No one in this thread is "bitching" about it. We're talking about the concept in abstract, academic terms, with no real relation to the current Primary status, because it's pretty much over. What are you even talking about?

This discussion has been closed.