Options

[DC Movies] Finally, Billy Dee Williams gets to be Two-Face.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    You know what could have worked really well?

Give everybody a solo movie where they take on one of Darkseid's flunkies.

Then when the big cheese shows up, they have to team up to stop him.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular

Team-up movies

Flash and Cyborg

Green Arrow and Green Lantern

Batman and Superman

Aquaman and Wonder Woman

Booster Gold and Blue Beetle

Hawkman and Hawkgirl

The Question and, uh, Adam Strange?

Constantine and Zatanna

not every movie has to be an origin story

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    It does when you don't know who they are.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »

Team-up movies

Flash and Cyborg and Batman

Green Arrow and Green Lantern and Batman

Batman and Superman and Batman

Aquaman and Wonder Woman and Batman

Booster Gold and Blue Beetle and Batman

Hawkman and Hawkgirl and Batman

The Question and, uh, Adam Strange? and Batman

Constantine and Zatanna and Batman

not every movie has to be an origin story

ftfy to make it more WB approved.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Civil War has already made more than BvS worldwide. It's at $940 million. BvS is at $868 million. Even if WB is willing to continue their current path, their investors and advertising partners can't be happy. There's going to be a lot of pressure on Suicide Squad to do well.

• Options
    LostNinja wrote: »

I'm actually excited to see how this one turns out

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

I don't get this tho, when it's not a superhero, we're totally fine never getting an origin.

Han Solo, Indiana Jones, ..

Hmm, maybe we only don't need an origin if it's Harrison Ford

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2016

I don't get this tho, when it's not a superhero, we're totally fine never getting an origin.

How many people who saw Fury Road saw the first Mad Max or remembered much of it?

Couscous on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

And we all know how Vader's origin story turned out...

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Max and Han are both presented as part of a setting that is far weirder than they are, though.

Superheroes are ostensibly included in a facsimile of our world, making their personal weirdness, which is arguably a lot weirder than Han Solo or Max's, more notable. They are the most interesting part of the setting, so we are told how they came to exist. In Star Wars, we're more interested in all the craziness around them and don't care so much how the cool pilot guy ended up with a skinny bear sidekick.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options

The most obvious way would be to have both the old Bruce Wayne Batman and then Batman Beyond, but since it's WB, I'm going to go with clones.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Tim Burton's Batman only really showed off the killing of Batman's parents well into the movie.

The origin stories of a lot of superheroes aren't that interesting and were often never intended to be that important because they had to work even with people picking up a later issue back when it wasn't easy to look up that info. A lot of them only had origins made after they proved to be popular.

Couscous on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular

The most obvious way would be to have both the old Bruce Wayne Batman and then Batman Beyond, but since it's WB, I'm going to go with clones.

Nah, they just need to show Batman's origin story twice.

...wait.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Have Lois kill Clarks parents.

BvS2: This time, it's dumber.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Have Lois kill Clarks parents.

BvS2: This time, it's dumber. there's actually a reason.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    I really think they are missing out on the comedic goldmine of having Batman just randomly appear in every movie. I don't want him to have anything to do with the plot, just having him show up at the very end and deliver the knockout punch to the bad guy, or even better, just sitting at a coffee shop in the background in full costume.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

Sometimes a character is so iconic it doesn't need introduction. Indy is one such character since it's so firmly built on 30s pulp, but you still get an intro to tell us who he is even if we don't get an origin. You don't need an origin story for a cowboy either and for good reason.

Part of the problem of super heroes is both that they don't have this established mythos yet (also in that they're expected to be unique whereas Indy was not) but also in that their origin really does inform us of who they are. A cowboy or an explorer is a profession and asking for the origin of one would be like asking for the origin story of an accountant. "Well I needed a job and was qualified and so after studying I passed my exams and Jesus Christ this is boring"

I think that maybe marvel is at the point where they maybe don't need to do origins. They could probably cover that in an opening montage "holy shit I have super powers... Holy shit I am a super hero!"-> 5 years later.

I don't think that WB is in a position to do that.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »

Sometimes a character is so iconic it doesn't need introduction. Indy is one such character since it's so firmly built on 30s pulp, but you still get an intro to tell us who he is even if we don't get an origin. You don't need an origin story for a cowboy either and for good reason.

Part of the problem of super heroes is both that they don't have this established mythos yet (also in that they're expected to be unique whereas Indy was not) but also in that their origin really does inform us of who they are. A cowboy or an explorer is a profession and asking for the origin of one would be like asking for the origin story of an accountant. "Well I needed a job and was qualified and so after studying I passed my exams and Jesus Christ this is boring"

I think that maybe marvel is at the point where they maybe don't need to do origins. They could probably cover that in an opening montage "holy shit I have super powers... Holy shit I am a super hero!"-> 5 years later.

An origin can also be included in another film too. Like, we got Falcon's origin story in Winter Soldier and WS had tons of shit going on. But we still got everything we needed. The particular military background and the flying pack. If they do a solo film for that character they would need to go more into his motivations, but we don't need the para-rescue and flying pack explained to us again.

• Options
    Black Panther was basically that. He was already BP, and just shows up.

Folks are like, um, sure.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

I mean, they take a moment or two to let us know he's royalty, and the Black Panther runs in his family.

But that's pretty much it.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

I mean, they take a moment or two to let us know he's royalty, and the Black Panther runs in his family.

Yeah, but you know there's plenty of good movies about weird shit that aren't really origin stories, or if they are they're origin stories about a group coming together, not how the underlying specifics that necessitated its forming came to be.

- Guardians of the Galaxy
    - Ghostbusters
    - Krull
    - The Fifth Element
    - Alien
    - Star Wars
    - Blade Runner
    - Mad Max: Fury Road
    - X-Men

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

An origin can also be included in another film too. Like, we got Falcon's origin story in Winter Soldier and WS had tons of shit going on. But we still got everything we needed. The particular military background and the flying pack. If they do a solo film for that character they would need to go more into his motivations, but we don't need the para-rescue and flying pack explained to us again.

Yup. DC Just isn't there yet

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »

That's why WB shouldn't let George Lucas direct any super-hero origin movies.

Civil War spoilers
    The movie was his origin. He didn't inherit the mantle until his father dies, which is like his Uncle Ben moment.

Yeah, but you know there's plenty of good movies about weird shit that aren't really origin stories, or if they are they're origin stories about a group coming together, not how the underlying specifics that necessitated its forming came to be.

- Ghostbusters
    - Krull
    - The Fifth Element
    - Alien
    - Star Wars
    - Blade Runner
    - X-Men

Bolded are origin stories. it could be argued Alien was the origin for Ripley. Star Wars got two origins, first with A New Hope (Luke) and another with TFA (Rey/Finn).

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

How many people who saw Fury Road saw the first Mad Max or remembered much of it?

Eh, that's kind of a special case, as George Miller has explicitly stated that Max is less of an actual person and more of a legendary character in his future world. Where Max came from doesn't matter in that context, only that Max is.

But unlike, say, Spider-Man or Superman, who have had their origins told to a stupid degree, loads of people are just not going to have any idea who most of those characters listed in pair-ups actually are. I bet you more people would wonder why Constantine isn't played by Keanu Reeves and why is he in a superhero movie than would have any idea who Booster Gold is.

Which really really underscores why WB was idiotic for trying to force all this stuff so quickly instead of building it slowly, because that's how Marvel is able to drop new characters like Falcon, Black Panther, Vision, Winter Soldier, etc on the audience. They've already got a setting built, so they don't need to set a new stage for every character, just link them into the story in a reasonable way, give a bit of background, and move on.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Actually, George Miller's Justice League wasn't going to deal with origin stories. It was going to be set in a world where the Justice League has been around for like a decade or something like that. It was pretty much going to be Justice League Unlimited + Tower of Babel + The OMAC Project, except Wonder Woman doesn't kill Maxwell Lord. Lord does the Luthor+Brainiac thing and merges with Brother Eye and all the OMAC nanites and Flash sacrifices himself to take Lord into the Speed Force.

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    I really think they are missing out on the comedic goldmine of having Batman just randomly appear in every movie. I don't want him to have anything to do with the plot, just having him show up at the very end and deliver the knockout punch to the bad guy, or even better, just sitting at a coffee shop in the background in full costume.

Nah, the How it Should Have Ended folks would sue.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Civil War spoilers
    The movie was his origin. He didn't inherit the mantle until his father dies, which is like his Uncle Ben moment.

Nope
    He was Black Panther, and then became king. His line was about how there's always a Black Panther, and now he has become the king.

• Options
    Moridin889 wrote: »
    Civil War spoilers

Nope
    He was Black Panther, and then became king. His line was about how there's always a Black Panther, and now he has become the king.
    In the comics the Panther is inherited from king to king, son to son. I thought that was what they were going for and we only see him officially as BP after his father bites it. The warrior he's talking about is supposed to be T'Chaka. Not 100% of course, since sometimes Marvel changes things in the MCU.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular

The X-Men were a stroke of lazy genius.

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    For those wondering, this is Steppenwolf (in green)

dogcavalryng7pg13_sml-panel.jpg

Not exactly Kirby's best work

Not his best work? Look at that jaunty angle of that hat!
    But unlike, say, Spider-Man or Superman, who have had their origins told to a stupid degree, loads of people are just not going to have any idea who most of those characters listed in pair-ups actually are. I bet you more people would wonder why Constantine isn't played by Keanu Reeves and why is he in a superhero movie than would have any idea who Booster Gold is.

I would be wondering why Constantine wasn't Matt Ryan.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    DanHibiki wrote: »

That's why WB shouldn't let George Lucas direct any super-hero origin movies.

Civil War spoilers

- Ghostbusters
    - Krull
    - The Fifth Element
    - Alien
    - Star Wars
    - Blade Runner
    - X-Men

Bolded are origin stories. it could be argued Alien was the origin for Ripley. Star Wars got two origins, first with A New Hope (Luke) and another with TFA (Rey/Finn).

Those are not "origin" stories, guy. Iron Man is an origin story. He starts as one thing, and it takes almost half the film to get him through the origin.

GotG covers Peter's origin in a two-minute cold open. The Ghostbusters are already paranormal scientists and friends when the film starts. The X-Men are well-formed and Wolverine already knows his skillset before the film starts (though Rogue is kinda given the origin treatment, but again, in a two minute cold open).

So, no. You're wrong on this.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    The Ghostbusters weren't ghost busters at the start of the movie. They were paranormal investigators at a university. The movie is about how they lose their research grant and go into business for themselves.

The origin of the Ghostbusters.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Those are not "origin" stories, guy. Iron Man is an origin story. He starts as one thing, and it takes almost half the film to get him through the origin.

GotG covers Peter's origin in a two-minute cold open. The Ghostbusters are already paranormal scientists and friends when the film starts. The X-Men are well-formed and Wolverine already knows his skillset before the film starts (though Rogue is kinda given the origin treatment, but again, in a two minute cold open).

Origins aren't limited to individuals, teams have origins too. Peter may be the biggest lead, but the movie is called GOTG, not Peter Quill: Starlord. X-men is the origin story for how Wolverine and Rogue join the group - it's how they became X-men. Ghostbusters was the group becoming the Ghostbusters, they don't start off like that and how they overcome their first mission.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options

Origins aren't limited to individuals, teams have origins too. Peter may be the biggest lead, but the movie is called GOTG, not Peter Quill: Starlord. X-men is the origin story for how Wolverine and Rogue join the group - it's how they became X-men. Ghostbusters was the group becoming the Ghostbusters, they don't start off like that and how they overcome their first mission.

then maybe read the qualifying part of the original comment

• Options
    christ on a monorail

• Options

then maybe read the qualifying part of the original comment

Clarify, because I don't see where I'm wrong on this.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Yeah, but you know there's plenty of good movies about weird shit that aren't really origin stories, or if they are they're origin stories about a group coming together . . .
    Origins aren't limited to individuals, teams have origins too.

literally killing me

Atomika on
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Yeah, but you know there's plenty of good movies about weird shit that aren't really origin stories, or if they are they're origin stories about a group coming together . . .

literally killing me

Here is where I disagree. Teams coming together for the first time = origin story

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    A movie is pretty much always going to do something for the first time. The vast majority of movies are characters dealing with something new and unexpected. The vast majority of them don't spend an hour explaining how those characters got there either. And I'll be more than happy when movies with super heroes stop doing it too. It really isn't necessary.

• Options
    Quid wrote: »
    A movie is pretty much always going to do something for the first time. The vast majority of movies are characters dealing with something new and unexpected. The vast majority of them don't spend an hour explaining how those characters got there either. And I'll be more than happy when movies with super heroes stop doing it too. It really isn't necessary.

Going to take a few decades since most super-heroes the public don't know anything about. :)