Options

[Dark Souls 3] Dark Souls 2 is a good game that is fun and great.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    is there anything in the game that hints at what the deal is with
    ocelotte

random kid that gets referenced a lot but is never shown sounds important

especially since that boss guards the entrance to the untended graves
    some people are theorizing that the consumed king, who worshipped seathe, tried to make a child in seathe's image, whom he named ocelote. The experiment did not work. This is why he appears to be cradling something nonexistant in his first phase
    divine blessing says the queen of lothric did give birth to ocelotte

oceiros is definitely mad and cradling a baby who isn't there

and what relation does he have to a similarly named child of dragons, shanalotte

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    ocelotte

some people are theorizing that the consumed king, who worshipped seathe, tried to make a child in seathe's image, whom he named ocelote. The experiment did not work. This is why he appears to be cradling something nonexistant in his first phase
    their entire bloodline worshiped dragons and wanted to become like them, but the queen said eff this and took ocelotte

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Yessssss, Pontiff down.

I was late getting a screenshot of the moment of victory, have to settle for this instead.

Took around 30 deaths, most to his quick stab attack with the dark sword that I wasn't anticipating or getting caught by the second swing of his fire sword when I thought I was out of range. The rest were to just being impatient and getting too greedy with my attacks.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    ocelotte

their entire bloodline worshiped dragons and wanted to become like them, but the queen said eff this and took ocelotte

we're all in agreement that the lothric queen was
    rosaria, who is actually gwynevere?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    webber wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »
    Well I started NG+ and made it to the cathedral, apparently I've already messed up the Siegward quest and I don't even know how.

After you beat the Deacons, he should be in the well. Unless you didn't fight the demon with him.
    I think you wont find him there until you trigger patches to drop the bridge. And you have to have found him in undead settlement first, yeah.
    I found him in the well before I met patches... and wait drop what bridge? I never had any encounter with patches where he dropped a bridge, just the one in firelink where he locks you in the bell tower.
    when you open the front door to the cathedral, if you haven't been to the locked firelink tower yet and you haven't lit rosaria's bonfire yet, patches shows up in the cathedral to trap you by lowering a bridge as you're crossing it. opening that door is also the trigger for siegward appearing in the well.

seeing patches in the cathedral isn't mandatory for any quests, since he'll show up again when you go up the locked tower in firelink; it's possible to skip his appearance in the cathedral entirely by going up the firelink tower first.

• Options
    ocelotte

no?
    rosaria was a handmaiden of gwynivere

gwynevere specifically left lordran prior to the events of ds1 and had several deific children, it's never mentioned that she returned

• Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    What's the deal with rosarias soul, why's it so wacky looking

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    What's the deal with rosarias soul, why's it so wacky looking

she reformed it a bunch of times and it got all hentai

• Options
    ocelotte

no?

gwynevere specifically left lordran prior to the events of ds1 and had several deific children, it's never mentioned that she returned

idk
    the ringfinger questline and the descriptions on her soul (and what your transpose from her soul) and where you find ringfinger and what he says to you seems to imply more than just that connection. lothric isn't lordran either and its mentioned the queen came from somewhere else in some item lore tidbit

• Options
    Also the thing that bugs me the most
    Why is prince lorian not mentioned in the opening cinematic or any of the firelink people's dialog?

Is it supposed to be a twist or something? It really makes him seem like a last minute addition

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    gtrmp wrote: »
    webber wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »
    Well I started NG+ and made it to the cathedral, apparently I've already messed up the Siegward quest and I don't even know how.

After you beat the Deacons, he should be in the well. Unless you didn't fight the demon with him.
    I think you wont find him there until you trigger patches to drop the bridge. And you have to have found him in undead settlement first, yeah.
    I found him in the well before I met patches... and wait drop what bridge? I never had any encounter with patches where he dropped a bridge, just the one in firelink where he locks you in the bell tower.
    when you open the front door to the cathedral, if you haven't been to the locked firelink tower yet and you haven't lit rosaria's bonfire yet, patches shows up in the cathedral to trap you by lowering a bridge as you're crossing it. opening that door is also the trigger for siegward appearing in the well.

seeing patches in the cathedral isn't mandatory for any quests, since he'll show up again when you go up the locked tower in firelink; it's possible to skip his appearance in the cathedral entirely by going up the firelink tower first.
    huuuuh? which bridge is this? the one that leads to rosaria? that's the only moving bridge I found you could walk over in the cathedral, but it was down so I couldn't cross it until after I beat the deacons and then it was up for no reason. I thought it was just lazy level design or something. I didn't find seigward in the well until after deacons, and I didn't encounter patches until after I found seigward.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    So the untended graves
    are is definitely in the past and also physically connected to the rest of the world right? You get there without going through any magic portals or anything like that

And the firelink shrine you go to in the beginning has to be considered the "present" but (as far as I can tell) isn't physically connected to the rest of the world right? You can only teleport in and out, you can't walk to/from there at all

So if those things are true then it follows that basically everything in the game takes place in the past, right?

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Like there's just an extra big throne up the back there that no one mentions or comments on, no big deal

• Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    ocelotte

the queen is almost certainly gwynevere

rosaria is at least related to gwynevere, but it's not a given that they're the same person - roasria's soul makes one of gwynevere's miracles, but so does the dancer's, and the dancer is just a distant descendant of the royal bloodline

• Options
    ocelotte

no?

idk
    the ringfinger questline and the descriptions on her soul (and what your transpose from her soul) and where you find ringfinger and what he says to you seems to imply more than just that connection. lothric isn't lordran either and its mentioned the queen came from somewhere else in some item lore tidbit
    oceiros would've found her pretty easily then? theres not really eenough evidence to prove anything other than that she was related to gwynevere in some way

Why is prince lorian not mentioned in the opening cinematic or any of the firelink people's dialog?

Is it supposed to be a twist or something? It really makes him seem like a last minute addition
    he is special because he rejected his role as lord of cinder

• Options

I think the implication was he would go to firelink when the other lords had been retrieved, but he ended up betraying Emma and said f-that. though did he already link the fire once? he certainly wasn't as messed up as some of the other lords. idk, it does seem odd

• Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    So the untended graves
    are is definitely in the past and also physically connected to the rest of the world right? You get there without going through any magic portals or anything like that

And the firelink shrine you go to in the beginning has to be considered the "present" but (as far as I can tell) isn't physically connected to the rest of the world right? You can only teleport in and out, you can't walk to/from there at all

So if those things are true then it follows that basically everything in the game takes place in the past, right?
    I think lothric is the present, and regular firelink shrine is some hunter's dream style pocket dimension that you and gundyr and etc are tied to

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    gtrmp wrote: »
    ocelotte

the queen is almost certainly gwynevere

rosaria is at least related to gwynevere, but it's not a given that they're the same person - roasria's soul makes one of gwynevere's miracles, but so does the dancer's, and the dancer is just a distant descendant of the royal bloodline

good point, I guess I didn't read anything related to that boss close enough

• Options
    edited May 2016

I think the implication was he would go to firelink when the other lords had been retrieved, but he ended up betraying Emma and said f-that. though did he already link the fire once? he certainly wasn't as messed up as some of the other lords. idk, it does seem odd

yeah I get that it's just weird that no one comments on the fact that the
    whole reason we are relying on these damn unkindled ashes is because these lazy damn millennials won't conform to traditional lording roles

it seems like his actions are probably the main reason we're in the situation we are in now and only emma mentions him by name and only at the very end.

It seems like it's supposed to be some sort of twist but I dungedit

DodgeBlan on

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    How is the legless guy in firelink who does the twisted soul transformation connected to the prince?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I'm guessing that's where the DLC comes into play.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Hooray NG++ Champion guy is dead. Hooray I never have to fight him again.

• Options
    -Tal wrote: »
    So the untended graves

I think lothric is the present, and regular firelink shrine is some hunter's dream style pocket dimension that you and gundyr and etc are tied to
    That is possible but I think that is also more complicated?
    I think that in the "present" the world has gone to shit and everything is dying out or whatever and in an attempt to link the flame and push back the darkness Ludleth made himself a lord of cinder (though who can say exactly how)

However he was unable to actually link the flame like Gwyn did (for yet more unknown reasons) but he was able to link the shrine bonfire to the bonfires of the past, to the moment when gundyr's quest failed and the 4 lords were awakened

So in DS3 you are travelling around in the past, collecting the ashes of those who should have answered the call to firelink but instead left to go jerk off while the world faded into darkness

There are obviously gaps and contradictions in this, but I think the fact (or as close to fact as anything can be in dark souls) that the Untended Graves area is just the Cemetary of Ash in the past and the Untended Graves is physically connected to the rest of the world, while your firelink shrine is not, are both good reasons to believe that the rest of the game takes place in the past relative to Ludleth's firelink shrine

I certainly don't think little false lord ludleth could have created the entire rest of the game as a pocket dimension for you to harvest lords ashes from, and I think creating his own pocket dimension to try and escape into really works either, because whatever 'paint a new vision" actually means, if he had the power to make worlds he wouldn't need you

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    I found the super secret dragon zone. I haven't finished it yet but I have some thoughts about it.
    I love this place. It's the prettiest area in the game. Since the condition of the world is always a visual metaphor for how fucked things are in these games, I guess these dead enlightened dragon monks have got their shit figured out in the world. The environment is very soothing. They have a beautiful clear blue sky, a normal sun, and a normal moon on the opposite horizon, even while shit is popping off in the distance in Lothric, it doesn't affect things here. I take that as a visual metaphor for how they're zen enlightened as heck and found a way to sidestep the entire fire/dark struggle of humanity by emulating the unchanging and still dragons from before the first flame. Also the way you get there is cool as heck.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    Something that always bothered me regarding the Untended Graves...
    It is petty clearly in the past... but then why is Ludleth's name on the back of a Lord of Cinder's throne? He made his attempt to link the fire later... in order to create your opportunity as the player, right? He shouldn't have a throne yet... right?

Which is even more confusing because if his linking of the flame actually reversed or twisted time in some way then how would anyone actually remember his linking and give him a throne in the first place...?

In Dark Souls 1 the DLC is time travel that lets you interject and "make history" what it was always supposed to be. I sort of understood that. I'm not sure I get this.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    I had a friend "twink" me by giving me their claws on the High Wall of Lothric. The beclawed hero, Questing Nepeta, strode down the High Wall of Lothric with confidence...!

Yo.

Claws are garbage.

fucking awful.

I died 5 times to the Deacons of the Deep.... I didn't even know they had moves other than 'shitty fireball", "swing haplessly with candlestick", and "fall over when you get hit"... turns out they do if you don't breeze through them instantly...!

I really don't know if I can beat the Abyss Watchers with this weapon...

Farm the darkwraiths outside the abyss watchers room and get a dark sword.

It kicks ass.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    It is petty clearly in the past... but then why is Ludleth's name on the back of a Lord of Cinder's throne? He made his attempt to link the fire later... in order to create your opportunity as the player, right? He shouldn't have a throne yet... right?

Which is even more confusing because if his linking of the flame actually reversed or twisted time in some way then how would anyone actually remember his linking and give him a throne in the first place...?

In Dark Souls 1 the DLC is time travel that lets you interject and "make history" what it was always supposed to be. I sort of understood that. I'm not sure I get this.

Well the two options are
    they just reused the area and only changed the skybox and enemies and stuff but they didn't bother taking out his throne

Or Ludleth was a legit lord who linked the flame (probably the last one before gundyr) and then either he was the only lord to answer the call after gundyr failed or he abdicated along with the other lords but had a change of heart (fl from seeing the fire keepers vision?) and he came back to the shrine

Ludleth being an actual lord of cinder fits better with his comments about linking the flame long ago and also slightly changes the context for his "of my own will" thing

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    re: untended graves
    if the untended graves/cemetary of ash and firelink shrine are physically located behind lothric castle as is implied by how you reach them, I would have appreciated it lying a little bit less with the geometry of the castle and the skybox landscape you can see from firelink. There should be a second large structure castle visible behind it and either some ocean in the skybox to the right of it or some sign of the edge of the rest of the game areas to the left of it, but there's only one castle structure and only mountains in the skybox. I guess they might have wanted to hide that the cemetery and shrine are not disconnected from the rest of the world to make it a big twist when you find the untended graves, but that just reminds me of DS2's impossible terrain which was a real pet peeve of mine.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    okay going through the handmaid's and ludleth's dialogue
    if you kill her, upon coming back she mocks you and says "I am undead, forever bound by the shrine's curse"

at the untended graves "to skirt the curse's grasp, tarry not for long. tis dark for now, and not a soul stirs. but remember, fires are known to fade in quiet. or perhaps thou'rt captive already. like the poor girl."

so there seems to be a curse that binds people to firelink. she's under it, you're under it, and "that poor girl" who is... the fire keeper? I think probably ludleth and andre too

you get cursed by hanging out in the untended graves for too long? gundyr is there and is so bound as iudex (judge) in the cemetery of ash

and then ludleth: "treat the firekeeper not with discourtesy, she is much like thee. prisoners both, kept to link the fire."

if you kill ludleth and come back: "See ye not? I am a lord... A wee flame, belike, but I shoulder the world... Forgive me. Oh please... I am not to blame. I'm not"

ludleth "shoulders the world", huh? this suggests to me that the firelink curse is his creation, the new vision he painted to try to link the fire after it faded in quiet at the untended graves.

after finding the eyes: "Ahh. Found her, did we? And the black eyes that shimmer within, I see? Tis as if it were but yesterday. We did all we could to spare her from them. Much has happened since. Mayhap I should apprise thee... Of what the thin light of these eyes might reveal to the eyeless Firekeeper. Scenes of betrayal, things never intended for her ken, visions of... this age's end..."

who is "we" that tried to protect the firekeeper from the visions her eyes gave her? is our firekeeper the manifestation of the one who died waiting for gundyr?

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    untended graves
    I don't get why everyone thinks 'you can't walk there' is such conclusive evidence that firelink & cemetery of ash is somehow fake

Based on the skybox it's part of the world in a logical way.

• Options

Well the two options are
    they just reused the area and only changed the skybox and enemies and stuff but they didn't bother taking out his throne

Or Ludleth was a legit lord who linked the flame (probably the last one before gundyr) and then either he was the only lord to answer the call after gundyr failed or he abdicated along with the other lords but had a change of heart (fl from seeing the fire keepers vision?) and he came back to the shrine

Ludleth being an actual lord of cinder fits better with his comments about linking the flame long ago and also slightly changes the context for his "of my own will" thing
    yeah that makes sense to me

the bell tolled, ludleth showed up and no other lord of cinder did

the firekeeper started freaking out because gundyr wasn't showing up, ludleth and the handmaid tried to spare her from the visions of betrayal but she died (suicide?)

gundyr showed up eventually but it was dark so he just sat crestfallen in his arena

ludleth said man fuck this and "painted a new vision"

I wonder what the significance of the silver knights at the graves are? and the katana guy?

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular

My present understanding, in the absence of new evidence:
    The five lords, all still alive, convene at Firelink Shrine together to perform the linking ritual. Prince Lothric betrays the rest and refuses to link the fire. In the aftermath of this betrayal:

-Aldrich, Yhorm, and the Abyss Watchers burn up and die. Their remains are interred.
    -Ludleth does not burn with them, or at least is just maimed instead of killed.
    -The First Flame is not linked, because whoever DID burn wasn't enough without the prince.
    -The Firekeeper is killed and the shrine bonfire is destroyed. (This might happen later.)
    -Time passes. Desperation measures to link the fire or survive its passing (like Ocelotte) fail. Hope for the kingdom fades.
    -Gundyr rises, but cannot salvage the situation without a functioning shrine.
    -Ludleth does...something...to access our Firelink Shrine, the original having been rendered unusable.

Alternately: Ludleth dies with the other lords and his remains are obliterated beyond salvaging. Some other mysterious character takes on Ludleth's name and role and becomes the Ludleth we know.

In retrospect it's not even clear that the lords were contemporaries rather than burning sequentially over a long period of time, but this was the story as I understood it.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    untended graves
    I don't get why everyone thinks 'you can't walk there' is such conclusive evidence that firelink & cemetery of ash is somehow fake

Based on the skybox it's part of the world in a logical way.
    Like I said, it fits in the world except that important features that should be visible in the distance are missing, like the other half of the Lotheric castle complex and anything but mountains in the skybox. Given the angle I feel like you should be able to see a hint of the ocean or a hint of the playable areas on one side or the other of the big rock the castle and the graveyard are on top of. It's better than DS2's nonsensical skyboxes but they're still cheating it a bit, probably on purpose to make the fact that Firelink physically exists right behind Lotheric castle a twist you can't see coming by being observant, like I tried to do.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I can honestly say that I discovered the Dark Sword on my own and didn't start using it because of all the internet hype and now that I've learned it's pretty much considered broken OP, I feel kind of bad about thinking that I had finally gotten really good with a weapon.

• Options
    straight swords in general are pretty top-tier weapons, I dunno if the dark sword is that much better than the weapon class as a whole.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    the last area of the game
    what's the significance of the first flame now being housed in an archtree

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    -Tal wrote: »
    the last area of the game
    what's the significance of the first flame now being housed in an archtree

it looks cool

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    giant trees, crosses, gravestones, flowers and tall grass now come standard in all miyazaki boss battle arenas

DodgeBlan on

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Speaking of skyboxes,

Late game stuff
    You can totally see Anor Londo from the cliff where you summon the gargoyles. There's some clouds around it, but if you know what you're looking for it's super apparent. Thought that was pretty neat. You can also see the room the sorcery trainer is set up in in those ruins from there.

I'm pretty sure you can see Arch Dragon Peak too.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    the next armored core is going to happen in a robot graveyard full of robot flowers and robot trees
    so like a megaman X or zero game

BahamutZERO.gif
This discussion has been closed.