Options

The Demon Free Webcomic Thread

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    40f6b12f8OPDR.png

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
  • Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    what a shit

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    1461902179-017033.jpg
    Oh sure.

Supernormal Step

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Does Willis, like, actively hate his characters or what?

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i think willis just has a sense of pacing that is not well suited to his strip format

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    i think willis just has a sense of pacing that is not well suited to his strip format

Well each chapter's worth of strips equals one day, so things would be a mite slow in playing out.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I think that Willis isn't particularly good at drama

not to say that he shouldn't do it

but he's been trying for over a decade, I'm pretty sure
    there's gotta be something he can do differently

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    That thing differently, is go back to making batman jokes.

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    You're a Batman joke.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I liked his batman and transformers jokes yeah

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I liked his batman and transformers jokes yeah

Thats all I ever wanted from him.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    2016-04-29-buckle.png
    dumbingofage.com

Well, at least she didn't slug him.

so was she doing the bat voice in all of this

also I bet ethan doesn't talk about himself in the third person

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    t6nqDxVl.gif
    According to Google gypsum weighs 144 pounds per cubic foot, so judging by the size of that crystal I think I can safely say RIP Mark. I look forward to the strip rebranding with the exploits of crazy eyes and her limitless supply of cave facts.
    QDAOMH9l.gif
    You have no idea what the fuck you just did, do you Xandu?

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Xandu's some dude wearing his cut-up tablecloth as a hood, cut him some slack.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Look at how Dr. Strange is holding Spider-Man, and then realize how much strength Spider-Man has to hold his body in that position.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Look at how Dr. Strange is holding Spider-Man, and then realize how much strength Spider-Man has to hold his body in that position.
    I think that's magic, Dr. Strange wants to make sure Spiderman looks stupid even when he appears to be flying.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Coinage wrote: »
    t6nqDxVl.gif
    According to Google gypsum weighs 144 pounds per cubic foot, so judging by the size of that crystal I think I can safely say RIP Mark. I look forward to the strip rebranding with the exploits of crazy eyes and her limitless supply of cave facts.
    QDAOMH9l.gif
    You have no idea what the fuck you just did, do you Xandu?

Uh

WHERE THE FUCK DID THE GUYS MUSTACHE GO.

Did it spontaneously combust in the heat?

Morkath on
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Seriously wrote: »
    Owenashi wrote: »
    2016-04-29-buckle.png
    dumbingofage.com

Well, at least she didn't slug him.

so was she doing the bat voice in all of this

also I bet ethan doesn't talk about himself in the third person
    Her Batman voice is blue with white lettering.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I just

Man how do you not immediately contact someone's parents or other authority figure for help when you know they are A) doing dangerous things that hurt themselves and others and B) straight up referring to their vigilante identity as an entirely different person from them

Everyone is so gosh dang inept at doing something actually helpful

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    2016-04-29-the-second.png
    And not just any mahogany, but mahogany from the planet of Malchior 7, where the trees are three hundred feet tall and breath fire! From these trees this desk was forged two thousand years ago, using ancient blood rituals of the Malchior people. Not only does this make my desk night indestructible, but it can bend the fabric of the universe itself! Also, it's a very fine material. Very expensive.

...It's mahogany.
    housepetscomic.com

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I just

Man how do you not immediately contact someone's parents or other authority figure for help when you know they are A) doing dangerous things that hurt themselves and others and B) straight up referring to their vigilante identity as an entirely different person from them

Sadly this part is actually pretty true to real life. Most people don't want to intrude on other peoples lives, so are unwilling to get involved even when they see obvious signs, and would rather just nope.jpg out, instead of dealing with the issue.

Morkath on
  • Options
    I just

Well, if the preview panels posted at the comic's tumblr are any indication, Danny will possibly tell Ethan about it since one of said panels show Ethan and Mike arriving at Amber's room presumably looking for her.

JOQSmau.png

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    160429a.jpg

oooh what's option three? I'm super interested. I'm sure it won't go to a different storyline on monday

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Shes going to re-attach their heads and unstake them, so they can rebuild their circle and get revenge on the strakoi.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I just

Well part of the problem is her dad is a raging abusive dickhead and her mom is...dead? Not around? I don't remember.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    Here's my take on what's going on-

Willis has said several times that he wanted Ethan to have a love interest from his "main" cast of characters, instead of some random new person like in Shortpacked! And he specifically picked Danny to fill that role. So it's safe to assume that at some point, Danny and Ethan will become a couple.

After Willis announced Danny is Bi, some people weren't happy that he was going to "break Amber" by having her boyfriend end up with her best friend/ex. Willis reads basically every comment posted to his webpage to keep it free of offensive garbage, and pretty obviously adjusts his writing in accord to what's written online. Sometimes it's obvious, like when "Ultra Car" got a feminine chassis in Shortpacked! and became Carla in DOA.

In this case, it's a very subtle response. Willis wants all his non-bigoted readers to be on board with the Danny-Ethan thing. So Amber is 100% at fault for the deterioration of her relationships with Danny and Ethan. The two of them have already bonded over trying to help her, so that closeness will only grow after Amber dumps Danny and goes off the deep end. Eventually, Danny and Ethan will realize that closeness they feel is attraction, and become a couple. You can't feel bad for Amber or get mad at Danny & Ethan because Amber did this to herself.

• Options
    Keep in mind that one of the Dumbing of Age characters already has gone the "tell someone's parents when they went self-destructive" and points out just how well that worked out for her.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    I dunno, it's pretty easy to feel bad for Amber, and get mad at Danny and Ethan, while she sits there and self destructs while her friends and essentially family do nothing.

Morkath on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Didn't Joyce's roommate get major flack for telling the parent of her previous roommate that said roommate was self medicating with weed after her mother's death?

• Options
    Creagan wrote: »

Willis has said several times that he wanted Ethan to have a love interest from his "main" cast of characters, instead of some random new person like in Shortpacked! And he specifically picked Danny to fill that role. So it's safe to assume that at some point, Danny and Ethan will become a couple.

After Willis announced Danny is Bi, some people weren't happy that he was going to "break Amber" by having her boyfriend end up with her best friend/ex. Willis reads basically every comment posted to his webpage to keep it free of offensive garbage, and pretty obviously adjusts his writing in accord to what's written online. Sometimes it's obvious, like when "Ultra Car" got a feminine chassis in Shortpacked! and became Carla in DOA.

In this case, it's a very subtle response. Willis wants all his non-bigoted readers to be on board with the Danny-Ethan thing. So Amber is 100% at fault for the deterioration of her relationships with Danny and Ethan. The two of them have already bonded over trying to help her, so that closeness will only grow after Amber dumps Danny and goes off the deep end. Eventually, Danny and Ethan will realize that closeness they feel is attraction, and become a couple. You can't feel bad for Amber or get mad at Danny & Ethan because Amber did this to herself.
    I think you can absolutely get mad at Danny for not alerting any of the many failsafes most major colleges have nowadays for students experiencing psychological issues

Like, most universities have a psychologist on the staff explictly to advise and help students going through trauma or problems

Her whole Amazi-Girl thing has been a giant flashing HEY HER SHIT IS ALL MESSED UP sign for a loooooong time now and he is just now doing something about it

She did it to herself, yeah, but he could have brought in help long before now

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Didn't Joyce's roommate get major flack for telling the parent of her previous roommate that said roommate was self medicating with weed after her mother's death?
    There is a rather large difference between self medicating with weed and developing a distinct mental persona that is engaging in violent, illegal behavior that harms herself and others

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    edited April 2016

I think you can absolutely get mad at Danny for not alerting any of the many failsafes most major colleges have nowadays for students experiencing psychological issues

Like, most universities have a psychologist on the staff explictly to advise and help students going through trauma or problems

Her whole Amazi-Girl thing has been a giant flashing HEY HER SHIT IS ALL MESSED UP sign for a loooooong time now and he is just now doing something about it

I agree, but I was writing out what I thought were Willis' reasons for writing Danny & Amber's relationship the way it's going. Not like, common sense.

Creagan on
  • Options

Except bringing in help would involve voluntarily terminating his friendship with her, catching flak from others for interfering, and generally being deemed a snitch. Society as a whole culturally reinforces the whole "snitches get stitches" mentality to a ludicrous level. You protect your friends, protect your family, defend them even when they've done wrong. To break that unspoken rule, to turn them in, is a massive departure from what's considered acceptable on a social level.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    MCy9s7S.jpg
    Lord Winalils doesn't appear to care for the sound of that. Have a great weekend, everyone!

Today, Unsounded is SFW.

• Options
    Madican wrote: »

Except bringing in help would involve voluntarily terminating his friendship with her, catching flak from others for interfering, and generally being deemed a snitch. Society as a whole culturally reinforces the whole "snitches get stitches" mentality to a ludicrous level. You protect your friends, protect your family, defend them even when they've done wrong. To break that unspoken rule, to turn them in, is a massive departure from what's considered acceptable on a social level.
    I think you're really overestimating how much "snitches get stiches" applies to this situation

Like, when I was in college I had a friend who developed really bad alcoholic tendencies and spiraled into depression. We all tried to help but he kept getting worse and just stopped going to class so his roommate called his parents. No one stopped being friends with his roommate because he TOTALLY SNITCHED HIM OUT. Dude was harming himself and showing no signs of improvement, so his roommate got him some help. Everyone was bummed he left the school afterwards, but no one shit on the roommate for being a Narc or whatever.

If people would really stop being friends or interacting with Danny because he informed the school about Amber having a mental breakdown and running around as Amazi-Girl then they probably are pretty shitty people and don't actually care that much about Amber's well being.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    They are both abusers.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Madican wrote: »

How is letting someone perform literally self destructive actions, protecting your friend/family? This is a pretty extreme case, of where she literally almost died several days before.

I can understand/forgive random people not getting involved in getting her help, they don't know her, they don't know what is going on. But Ethan and Danny are both intimate friends/essentially family members, who have rather extensive knowledge of events, and would rather watch her die than do something slightly uncomfortable or might make them socially unpopular.

I wouldn't expect them to necessarily make the decision right away, but this has been going on for a long time now. They have had time to think about it and the ramifications, and choose to do nothing. Pretty terrible people.

This discussion has been closed.