Options

[Dark Souls 3] Second and Final DLC OUT NOW!

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Also like half the chests in DS3 are mimics.

There's one positive about mimics, though. They fight everything, and they usually win. I even killed a boss by waking up a mimic and letting it kick it to death.

Neat. So do they just go nuts, or do you have to get enemies to hit them?

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Derrick wrote: »
    Also like half the chests in DS3 are mimics.

There's one positive about mimics, though. They fight everything, and they usually win. I even killed a boss by waking up a mimic and letting it kick it to death.

Neat. So do they just go nuts, or do you have to get enemies to hit them?

A bit of both. If you kite them into an enemy, they'll start to go at it, but they will also start to fight if you run out of the room fast enough. The mimic will often switch targets instead of running after you.

Spoiler for the catacombs:
    I woke the mimic in the room with the demon boss under the bridge with arrows, and the mimic proceeded to kick the demon to death then go back to sleep.

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Yeah, I tried that. Didn't work at all. Maybe my game is broken.
    The mimic died almost instantly to the demon. I'm talking one two-swing combo from the demon and it was over, leaving me to pelt the demon with arrows from the entryway (it won't come through).

I've had similar issues with Siegward. All the advice says he can basically solo Yhorm. Well, that's horseshit. So far for me he's 0/2 on surviving longer than 30 seconds. This last time he didn't even get off a single sword beam before the giant beat him right to death.

DS3 makes me do everything myself. Or, well, summon another player to do it I guess.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    The Sauce wrote: »
    The mimic died almost instantly to the demon. I'm talking one two-swing combo from the demon and it was over, leaving me to pelt the demon with arrows from the entryway (it won't come through).

I've had similar issues with Siegward. All the advice says he can basically solo Yhorm. Well, that's horseshit. So far for me he's 0/2 on surviving longer than 30 seconds. This last time he didn't even get off a single sword beam before the giant beat him right to death.

DS3 makes me do everything myself. Or, well, summon another player to do it I guess.
    It's Dark Souls, so one lucky hit one way or the other can make the difference. I love it, since it makes every fight unique.

As for Siegward, I think the major difference is whether you can aggro the giant before Siegward does. Yhorm likes to start the fight with a massive hit that can one-shot the player, so things go much better if its aimed at you and your dodgy rolls. Once you get to the point where you are Siegward are trading blows to the giant's head, Yhorm ends up spending most of the fight on his knees.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, you have to draw Yhorm',s aggression

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular

This gives me a funny thought. Do a playthrough where you do no damage to a boss; rely on the summons to do all the work.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    I ran into someone who was doing that. I black crystaled out.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Had a lot of fun PvPing it up last night. I think I won more than I lost but I'm not sure? At least one loss was due to a blatantly obvious lag switcher who I almost beat anyway. Currently rocking BKG/Gotthards + Wolf Knight Greatshield/Cestus.

Definitely feel like I'm learning and getting better as I PvP more. In most of the losses I can point to what I did wrong and say "okay don't do that anymore" or "okay do this instead."

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »

This gives me a funny thought. Do a playthrough where you do no damage to a boss; rely on the summons to do all the work.

I'm not sure I would do this unless the phantoms I summoned knew what I was up to. I think most people hop into co-op with the expectation that it will cooperative; I don't think most people expect to do all the work themselves.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    When sunbroing, I've had hosts who were doing "healer" cosplays where they just cast buff/heal spells for allies, and I'll play along and help them. But if someone summons me then runs to the corner of a boss arena to do nothing, I'd just black crystal.

• Options
    Playing as a Summoner sounds fun in theory, but I don't think this game has enough buffs and heals to be worthwhile.

Like, at least shoot a crossbow or something

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    Defeated the Princes and the Consumed King which was very easy to miss. Arch Dragons Peak wouldn't be so bad if wasn't for those big chain axe dudes and the priest that summons Havel and Knight Man every time.

D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2016
    Can someone give me a quick explanation of how being invaded works when I'm not actually online? (I don't have a PSN account.) I was tooling about with a pantload of souls, 50 hit points, and no estus, and I suddenly got a message that I'd been invaded and then some glowing purple motherfucker started running towards me. I just kind of screamed and bolted back to the nearest bonfire.

Are these invasions going to effectively be just random NPCs who show up to wreck my shit at inopportune times? Shall I expect them to be tough enemies? Do I get anything for killing then besides the warm fuzzy feeling of having brutally cut down a motherfucker?

And is there any benefit to joining a covenant if I'm offline?

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Can someone give me a quick explanation of how being invaded works when I'm not actually online? (I don't have a PSN account.) I was tooling about with a pantload of souls, 50 hit points, and no estus, and I suddenly got a message that I'd been invaded and then some glowing purple motherfucker started running towards me. I just kind of screamed and bolted back to the nearest bonfire.

Are these invasions going to effectively be just random NPCs who show up to wreck my shit at inopportune times? Shall I expect them to be tough enemies? Do I get anything for killing then besides the warm fuzzy feeling of having brutally cut down a motherfucker?

I guess you met Holy Knight Hodrick? He is one of the tougher NPC phantoms to beat, especially given how early you meet him.

As long as you are embered, you'll meet more of these NPC phantoms in other areas, some are tougher than others, most drop some loot usually. (Some dont drop loot upon death, but their loot is suddenly obtainable elsewhere after you kill them.)

As for covenants, you need to join them to trade their covenant items with them for various weapons/miracles/spells/pyromancies, you can still get covenant items when playing offline, some mobs have them as rare drops.

Sirialis on
  • Options

There are a handful of NPC phantoms who invade, drop nice stuff, and occasionally have some sidequest significance. One major benefit to defeating these guys is that it often creates a summons sign for them at the next boss.

This is also true for non-invader NPCs. Early game spoiler and extremely vague midgame spoiler:
    If you defeat the badass with a katana near the shrine before defeating the first (not counting the intro one) boss, there will be a silver summons that lets you bring him to the first real boss fight in Lothric.

There are even some very subtle story bits involved in this. There's a character you can summon to a midgame boss fight that creates a fascinating dynamic, since he and the boss seem to really hate each other's guts. It's actually hard to aggro the boss, since he mainly seems to want to kill this guy.

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    So what are the best (a little subjective) rings for endgame?

I'm using Life Ring+2 (dont have +3 yet), Chloranthy Ring+2, Ring of Favor+2 and Ring of Steel Protection+2 mostly for PvE at the moment.

I'll swap out for PvP rings, depending heavily on where I am invaded/invading from.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Ah, thanks.

I never noticed that first summons, even though I took out that NPC, because every time I went to the boss I just booked it past all the enemies and slid into the fog.
    I think I found the second boss - saw some warning about an angry tree, or something - but I opted not to go into the big ominous foliage-covered room just yet. Instead I veered right so I could get gang banged by some asshole wizard and his flunkies. Hate those fat bastards.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Ah, thanks.

I never noticed that first summons, even though I took out that NPC, because every time I went to the boss I just booked it past all the enemies and slid into the fog.
    I think I found the second boss - saw some warning about an angry tree, or something - but I opted not to go into the big ominous foliage-covered room just yet. Instead I veered right so I could get gang banged by some asshole wizard and his flunkies. Hate those fat bastards.
    There are bosses that I have less trouble with than those fuckers. Their melee is painful and has huge reach, their ranged attack can fuck you up quick if you aren't careful, and they have a special close-up move that can one-shot you early game.

• Options
    I started out picking them off from a distance with my bow, then I realized that wasn't going to be a viable option long term unless I wanted to invest in arrow futures. Now I just say unkind things about their mothers as I sprint past them.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Arrows are always a good investment. Need to hurry and get my NG+ up to whatever point unlocks greatarrows again, I'm running low because someone decided that your bottomless box can only hold a handful of each type of arrow despite being able to go up to 600 on the throwables.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    Ravelle wrote: »
    Defeated the Princes and the Consumed King which was very easy to miss. Arch Dragons Peak wouldn't be so bad if wasn't for those big chain axe dudes and the priest that summons Havel and Knight Man every time.
    So uh

Speaking of things that are very easy to miss

Did you stop and go elsewhere after you beat the Consumed King / got the "key" to Archdragon Peak or

• Options
    So uh

Speaking of things that are very easy to miss

Did you stop and go elsewhere after you beat the Consumed King / got the "key" to Archdragon Peak or

I don't think so, went straight to Peak after getting my way in to that place. Is there something else worth visiting?

D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    There is another area to explore with a boss + items after Oceiros.

• Options
    I knew there was something more to that place, should have looked around more!

D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I knew there was something more to that place, should have looked around more!
    Go back to the room you got the dragon sit gesture and whack the back wall with something.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular

I just did this, as I am at that point in Carthus, and I got it to work:
    I stood back around the corner, not having aggroed the demon at all yet. Shot one arrow into the mimic, then as soon as the damage from the second (which wakes it up) registered, I hauled ass back up the ladder a ways. The mimic got first cracks at the demon for me, and was doing 500+ damage a hit, getting the demon down to a sliver before it finally got one-shot.

It's also semi-random if it'll work. It's like the two darkwraiths before the Abyss Watchers. Nine times out of ten the both of them will roflstomp all the ghru in their path with little to no damage taken, but every now and then one or both of them will bite it.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    it turns out rapiers are actually pretty fun to use

oh

oh no

• Options
    edited May 2016
    korodullin wrote: »

I just did this, as I am at that point in Carthus, and I got it to work:
    I stood back around the corner, not having aggroed the demon at all yet. Shot one arrow into the mimic, then as soon as the damage from the second (which wakes it up) registered, I hauled ass back up the ladder a ways. The mimic got first cracks at the demon for me, and was doing 500+ damage a hit, getting the demon down to a sliver before it finally got one-shot.

It's also semi-random if it'll work. It's like the two darkwraiths before the Abyss Watchers. Nine times out of ten the both of them will roflstomp all the ghru in their path with little to no damage taken, but every now and then one or both of them will bite it.
    Sometimes they even bite it at the first mob. I have some sympathy for that.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    Also I feel like my last play session on my bleeder is best summarized in poor haiku:

Many Faithful come
    They rest in white Irithyll
    Painted Carthus Rouge

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    Anyone else notice horrific lag tonight? Seemed like 30% of the worlds I was summoned to were fight clubs (which always have bad lag for me) and about half of the rest were like, people teleporting around bad levels of latency. Worst it's ever been by far.

• Options
    TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Anyone else notice horrific lag tonight? Seemed like 30% of the worlds I was summoned to were fight clubs (which always have bad lag for me) and about half of the rest were like, people teleporting around bad levels of latency. Worst it's ever been by far.

I would say it's been like that for a couple days now, but really lag is the background radiation of DS pvp. between regular old host v. invader lag, lag that seems like it's on my end and a veritable epidemic of hosts plug-pulling or disconnecting when I try to invade or am murdering them, I haven't summoned up the interest to play since monday.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I started out picking them off from a distance with my bow, then I realized that wasn't going to be a viable option long term unless I wanted to invest in arrow futures. Now I just say unkind things about their mothers as I sprint past them.

Look, Jeffe. Mr. Jeffe.

It's important you understand something.

Running past things? That's sucess.

They can't catch you? Fuck 'em

That's their fault.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options

Look, Jeffe. Mr. Jeffe.

That's their fault.

Then you get knocked down by something and now it's a giant orgy of enemies and sharp metal bits stabbing you.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

Look, Jeffe. Mr. Jeffe.

That's their fault.

Then you get knocked down by something and now it's a giant orgy of enemies and sharp metal bits stabbing you.

Kinky

• Options
    Rhan9 wrote: »

Look, Jeffe. Mr. Jeffe.

That's their fault.

Kinky

https://youtu.be/UdPC0QrtZVY?t=226

3:46 should be about right.

• Options
    There is a certain aesthetic pleasure in genociding an entire area, then running around at your leisure and poking at all the nooks and crannies. Just you and you alone in this beautiful mess of scattered rubble that was once a town, sad and serene.

You feel like, in clearing it of hollows and beasties, that you have righted some great and terrible wrong. You have granted peace to these cursed ruins, and if you're the only one left alive to appreciate it, then that just makes it all the more precious.

And then you return to your shrine, and everything scuttles back to hell.

But yeah, I tend to feel compelled to chase that purity, and I probably ice a lot more enemies than I strictly need to.

Also, I found the source of those giant fucking arrows, and the whole thing was resolved so simply that I'm waiting for another shoe to drop. Likely a rotting shoe full of nightmare bugs, because this is a From game.

• Options
    Jeffe: Just try to
    keep ahold of the branch he gives you. It sits separate from any others you find.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options

Look, Jeffe. Mr. Jeffe.

That's their fault.

It seems enemies compared to DSII has a longer chase lease, like those crucify demons in the crucifixion woods would chase forever and catch up to you.

D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    3clipse wrote: »

Seemed really bad for me in general. Summoning took forever - and failed 70 percent of the time - and all the PvE games I played had severe lag.

• Options

Look, Jeffe. Mr. Jeffe.

That's their fault.

Dark Souls is a cruel and cold world that is unfair to the player and the enemies. Only the doomed fight fair.