As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dark Souls 3] Second and Final DLC OUT NOW!

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I did not realize how powerful pyromancy is in Dark Souls 3.

It might have something to do with rushing to Great Chaos Fireball, but

Boy things die fast.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    I swear 90% of the game is weak to fire.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    I did not realize how powerful pyromancy is in Dark Souls 3.

It might have something to do with rushing to Great Chaos Fireball, but

Boy things die fast.

I got to the point where I stopped using Great Chaos, because it was making me actively worse at the game. Everything just dies so easily to it.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I just didn't realize how good pyro is. My first character was a Fth build, second Quality.

I think Pyro is better in DS3 than DS1. Even with stat scaling. Actually that's probably what makes it better.

That and everything taking serious damage from fire.

• Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    I swear 90% of the game is weak to fire.

And the other 10% is smoldering lake. Once you get past that, chaos fireball/chaos bed vestiges until the end of time.

• Options
    I killed the bridge crocodile in three hits. First hit of chaos fireball removed a little under half its health. The second hit staggered it. I just walked up to it and put it out of its misery, a third fireball seemed like poor taste.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I killed the bridge crocodile in three hits. First hit of chaos fireball removed a little under half its health. The second hit staggered it. I just walked up to it and put it out of its misery, a third fireball seemed like poor taste.

Geez, and I thought Greatshield/Straight Sword was ezmode.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    You can also use Black Serpent from Wolnir or Boulder Heave from the stray demon to beat Old Demon King and then come back later when you have Black Flame to deal with the guru

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular

Sulyvahn's Beast? Yeah, I used a Black Blade and Carthus Rouge and he went down in four hits. I was surprised it was that easy. I guess he was weak to bleed.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    yeah, they're real weak to bleed. also, hitting them in the snout enough will set them up for a riposte.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    3clipse wrote: »

Geez, and I thought Greatshield/Straight Sword was ezmode.

This is SL 40, max +3 weapons, so not a ton of souls invested yet.

First time I faced the beast was my Faith/melee and he was just a nightmare. Killed me 10 times at least. And I had at least +4 weapons and a good ten more SLs. Of course strong against lightning so my spells did nothing. But my melee damage wasn't doing much either.

This time he died before he full spawned in, so.

I'm enjoying pyro! It's fun, but damn. I wish they had balanced some of the other builds a little better.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    I played Pyro from the start. I don't actually know how to play the game.

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
  • Options
    It was posted on the last page. And probably several others, yeah. ;-)

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    So the main boss from the DLC can go die painfully and slowly. Just...fuck that fight.
    Oh cool, three stage fight, no break, no chance to re-fill my flasks. Cool, I can just go cry in a corner now.
    Took way too long to beat it. Has my second highest tries to beat a boss ever in a Souls game (highest is Lady Maria from Bloodborne).

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular

Probably old but it made me laugh.

Pruld is a treasure. Ravelord Nito is pretty great too.

• Options
    So co-op mostly dead in this game? I don't recall ever waiting as long as I have to be summoned for Sulyvahn.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    So co-op mostly dead in this game? I don't recall ever waiting as long as I have to be summoned for Sulyvahn.

What's your SL? That makes a big diff.

• Options

SL and highest weapon upgrade level are factors in summoning

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Two DLC questions:
    How the blood hell do I avoid Big Puppy's red eye barrage of attacks?! I can take dude bro down pretty easily by kicking his shield, but angry doggo just obliterates me every time he hits the chronic and goes all red eyed.

Where, uh, is the actual boss? I made my way through the house of flies, but it just led me back around to that chapel. I'm p lost you guys.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    Two DLC questions:
    How the blood hell do I avoid Big Puppy's red eye barrage of attacks?! I can take dude bro down pretty easily by kicking his shield, but angry doggo just obliterates me every time he hits the chronic and goes all red eyed.

Where, uh, is the actual boss? I made my way through the house of flies, but it just led me back around to that chapel. I'm p lost you guys.
    There's a switch in the basement of the fly house that opens the boss door. If I remember correctly...

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Two DLC questions:

puppy only ever does two hits in a row in my experience. dodge twice, then counterattack.

in the buggy lower part of the chapel there should be a switch in the center. easy to miss.

Elendil on
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Two DLC questions:

Timing , when he goes berserk all that happens is that he moves faster and hits harder so just roll a bit earlier then usual. So for the second question , if you have managed to loop back through the chapel through the village and all that fun times and not triggered the boss you missed a switch , go back to the dark area with the flies . This is super close to the bonfire dont worry then jump into the pit in the middle of the room and there is a switch somewhere in the rot. Its supposed to evoke the same feeling as fighting the wheel skeletons to turn the lever that unlocks Priscilla in DS1

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Two DLC questions:

I missed this for a long time, but there should be a ladder that just kind of shows up on the other side of the rope bridge that leads to the chapel. You can get to it from the bonfire that's over there (if you were wondering why there's two bonfires close together there).

You can roll-dodge around the large wolf's dashing attacks; the invulnerability frames work fine for it. It's a stamina management fight, because you have to do several consecutive rolls when he begins his chain-dashing. I don't think you need more than three consecutive rolls to dodge any of his combos, though. So it's a matter of learning the tells, getting the roll timing down, and then making sure you manage your roll direction so that when you pop out you're close enough to punish with a hit or two.

Make sure you're properly leveled for the DLC. A lot of people are trying it at far too low of a SL. For NG alone you'll want a maxed-out Estus flask and SL 95+ with a +5/+10 weapon, no question.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options

On this particular character, SL 45 and +5 weapon.

• Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    The Sauce wrote: »
    Two DLC questions:

I missed this for a long time, but there should be a ladder that just kind of shows up on the other side of the rope bridge that leads to the chapel. You can get to it from the bonfire that's over there (if you were wondering why there's two bonfires close together there).

You can roll-dodge around the large wolf's dashing attacks; the invulnerability frames work fine for it. It's a stamina management fight, because you have to do several consecutive rolls when he begins his chain-dashing. I don't think you need more than three consecutive rolls to dodge any of his combos, though. So it's a matter of learning the tells, getting the roll timing down, and then making sure you manage your roll direction so that when you pop out you're close enough to punish with a hit or two.

Make sure you're properly leveled for the DLC. A lot of people are trying it at far too low of a SL. For NG alone you'll want a maxed-out Estus flask and SL 95+ with a +5/+10 weapon, no question.
    A big wolf with moveset similar to the boss wolf can be encountered while exploring the level, and one time while it was doing the dashing attack with the wind vortex around it, I just hit it in the face with my Yhorm machete. I don't know if you get a special crit/stagger that way and there were so many wolves that I wasn't keeping track of its health, but it felt like it did a LOT more damage than normal.

During the boss fight if I ever felt like I was really in danger, I would use the pillars of the structure to block the wolf's attempts to attack me, much like fighting the monsters down where you get the Aldrich Faithful covenant.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options

On this particular character, SL 45 and +5 weapon.

That actually feels somewhat low, though you should be getting people up to SL65 and +7 weapons, AFAIK. Could be nobody's summoning... what platform are you playing on?

• Options
    PC

• Options
    ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular
    It is going to take me forever to get 30 Proofs, isn't it?

|_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ironsizide wrote: »
    It is going to take me forever to get 30 Proofs, isn't it?

please be at 350+ item find, and just do it a few hours at a time (put on some music or podcasts or something)

it will go by surprisingly fast

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Thanks everyone!

* Holy shit what a fantastic boss fight! Whew! Never would have found my way there, appreciate the help.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    is this thread friendly to bloodborne talk? I don't see a separate thread for it and search isn't helping. I just like having a place to be able to talk myself through sections or bosses etc.

I just got a ps4 from santa and this was the first game I got because DS1/2 are things I was a big fan of. So far I've beaten the first 2 bosses and am roaming cathedral ward. I feel like there's not as much crazy sequence breaking going on in this game compared to like, taking the key in ds to go get a bunch of great gear super early. It also doesn't feel like the gear I've seen is much better or worse than other options.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    is this thread friendly to bloodborne talk? I don't see a separate thread for it and search isn't helping. I just like having a place to be able to talk myself through sections or bosses etc.

I just got a ps4 from santa and this was the first game I got because DS1/2 are things I was a big fan of. So far I've beaten the first 2 bosses and am roaming cathedral ward. I feel like there's not as much crazy sequence breaking going on in this game compared to like, taking the key in ds to go get a bunch of great gear super early. It also doesn't feel like the gear I've seen is much better or worse than other options.

BB Thread is linked from the OP, but here you go:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/202911/bloodborne-behold-a-paleblood-sky

(It's kinda dead of late. Bring it back to life!)

Houn on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    d'oh.

well let's see if i can get through this game and get into DS3 before doing the same thing again

• Options
    Lionheart is so good you guys.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Yeah I read the article last week. I was hoping we'd see Morninglord in there, he made the gigantic post on the subreddit after that patch dropped, it had a lot of detail.

From is ridiculous for not being clearer about this but thank god for guys like @Morninglord doing the research.

GoodKingJayIII on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
  • Options
    so I've started playing DS3 quite a bit lately, and went to try to fight friede solo without gael this time.

fuck. FUCK. fuuuuuck. I hate that last phase. where are the openings? when can you actually fucking hurt her or heal without getting punished? The worst is the first attempt on that character I got her to hit left on the third phase and then choked, and haven't replicated it since. and having to go through every phase over and over is just stupid.

playing a heavy dex character with crow quills & hollowslayer. I even resorted to a shield to try to deal with her and I hate using shields, but that hasn't helped either.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    In that phase she's basically Lady Maria from Bloodborne. Absolutely relentless and very, very few openings. It becomes a fight where you are on the defensive 80% of the time and only attacking when she is obviously open. Also the Hollowslayer may be a touch slow. I had to switch off to a faster weapon when I beat her, from my Claymore. I ended up dumping all my spare upgrade items in to a longsword, just to have something fast to swing at her.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling