As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The USA Presidential Election Thread: Bad Hair Day

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »
    How, how do people think Trump would have a better foreign policy record than Hillary?

Iraq Libya Iraq Libya Iraq Libya Iralibyaqliqlbiablqbyaqblqa.

Also she pushed for killing Osama which really helped with defeating Romney.

And I think there are people in Yugoslavia who are pretty happy a Clinton was "hawkish" and stopped that genocidal civil war.

I thought Hillary was against the Osama attack? My memory is that it was initially vetoed by her office but when it got to Obama's desk he went over the facts and approved it while adding a second helicopter.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Looking into it to refresh my memory it looks like the who did what is kind of a clusterfuck with people jumping to claim that they were for it.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    ZenyatooZenyatoo Registered User regular
    How, how do people think Trump would have a better foreign policy record than Hillary?

There's an image that gets passed around where it has all the quotes of every single other candidate (rep and dem) speaking about how they'd enforce the no fly zones for russia, etc.
    Then it has the Putin/Trump quotes about how Putin thinks Trump is a great leader and how Trump thinks the russia leader is just misunderstood or whatever

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    It really speaks to how much Republicans are authoritarian bootlickers that they lionize a guy like Putin.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016

And I think there are people in Yugoslavia who are pretty happy a Clinton was "hawkish" and stopped that genocidal civil war.

I thought Hillary was against the Osama attack? My memory is that it was initially vetoed by her office but when it got to Obama's desk he went over the facts and approved it while adding a second helicopter.
    http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/264541-clinton-complains-of-being-airbrushed-out-of-famous-bin-laden

She seems super concerned with getting credit for it, for or against it notwithstanding.

Insofar as the Balkans conflict: you have no idea how much that intervention was a complete charlie foxtrot. It did so much more to harm our global standing than it did to resolve the problems there. (I should note, however, that getting stationed in the Balkans was great. Dozens of single women excited to date American GIs after a group effort killed nearly every fighting age local male.)

Ardent on
    Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    The use of military force is an essential part of foreign policy. Always has been, always will be. Not wanting it to be is naive. I am perfectly okay voting for someone who knows how to use it and when it should be used. The Republicans on the other hand are far too willing to use it too often and unnecessarily. Saving lives is one thing. Preventing humanitarian disasters is one thing. Pursuing regime change is another thing.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Ardent wrote: »

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/264541-clinton-complains-of-being-airbrushed-out-of-famous-bin-laden

She seems super concerned with getting credit for it, for or against it notwithstanding.

An Israeli newspaper keeps her out of an iconic image because she's a woman, and the only explanation you give for her complaint is that she's trying to grab glory for the attack? That seems very uncharitable.

Suriko on
  • Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    Suriko wrote: »

An Israeli newspaper keeps her out of an iconic image because she's a woman, and the only explanation you give for her complaint is that she's trying to grab glory for the attack? That seems very uncharitable.
    I thought she was running for President. Does she need my charity now too?

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    idk that seems like a reasonable complaint to me

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Is the death of Osama bin Laden considered a good or negative thing?

I consider it a positive thing.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular

Well, he was killed without a trial. I'd say that's extra judicial

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod

Christ, what an asshole.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Why would the secretary of state have any say over a military affair?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular

He's not a US citizen, so it's not really extrajudicial because he's an enemy combatant.

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »

He's not a US citizen, so it's not really extrajudicial because he's an enemy combatant.

Abdulrahman al-Awlaki, on the other hand...

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Oh yeah, I'm super uncomfortable with actual drone killings of US citizens. THAT is extrajudicial and unconstitutional.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular

Citizenship doesn't have anything to do with whether a person is an enemy combatant, it's a matter of active participation in hostilities.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/r7e6gLht6OQ

The Democrats are going to steal America

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, I'm super uncomfortable with actual drone killings of US citizens. THAT is extrajudicial and unconstitutional.

don't worry: most of the people we drone kill aren't US citizens

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    I'm uncomfortable with drone killings of non us citizens but fine with us citizens being killed by drones, they paid their taxes

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    so long as the drones don't blow up my shed, I'm A-OK

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    Extrajudicially bomb my home, daddy

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/r7e6gLht6OQ

The Democrats are going to steal America

The Democrats moved from slavery to enslavement.

...so they didn't move anywhere?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    No, you see, when the Democratics switched and supported Civil Rights they enslaved Americans.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

It's not about charity or her getting credit, it's about how, for all their talk about being the "only democracy" in the Middle East, Israel has been slowly falling under the control of Jewish fundamentalists (and yes, that is an actual thing.) The airbrushing wasn't done to deny her anything, it was done because there's a faction that is growing in power there that is discomfitted by seeing women in positions of power, and are powerful enough to demand that the Israeli media alter the record to conform with their views. And before you say that's just an issue there, the same groups are doing similar things here as well - there was a case a few years back where a Hasidic bus company in NTC tried to put women at the back of the buses they ran for the MTA (a practice that is, sadly, widespread in Israel.) Thankfully, the MTA responded by telling them they could keep their policies or their contract with the city - not both.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Machwing wrote: »

eh plz don't put words -> mouth

• Options
    man as much as America fucks up a lot Israel is a super destabilizing problem in the middle east and I don't think anyone has any good idea how to solve the conflict between the Israelis and Arabs

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    And Israel is a super issue inter-generationally for American Jews as well. I won't discuss Israel/Palestine with my father at all.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    @lonelyahava there's a Naomi Klein piece on Edward Said in the LRB this month that I think you'd like. Remind me tomorrow if you're interested, and I'll see if I can dig up the online version.

• Options

I apologize, I'm p salty tonight

God damn though, I wonder what kind of cultural phenomena are gonna arise from being born and raised in a part of the world where you might be exploded at any minute by some random joe with an iPad a thousand miles away

art outside the west gonna be weird in a generation

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Also, to be clear, what Hillary was absolutely approving on the Osama operation. She just didn't give a flying fuck about the Correspondents Dinner.

• Options

I apologize, I'm p salty tonight

God damn though, I wonder what kind of cultural phenomena are gonna arise from being born and raised in a part of the world where you might be exploded at any minute by some random joe with an iPad a thousand miles away

art outside the west gonna be weird in a generation

I think there's a word that starts with the letter T and is being fought against in a metaphysical war right now that the iPad joes are in.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    man as much as America fucks up a lot Israel is a super destabilizing problem in the middle east and I don't think anyone has any good idea how to solve the conflict between the Israelis and Arabs

the U.S. could stop supporting Israel with military equipment and/or money
    fat chance of that happening

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Dubh wrote: »

the U.S. could stop supporting Israel with military equipment and/or money
    fat chance of that happening

But that also doesnt really solve the problen in any way and may lead to further conflict.

I'm sure there adere whole chapters worth of decision theory on this topic in the state department

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I am pretty, preeeeetty sure I will never have an official Opinion on Israel

I feel like I could spend literal years reading up history and culture and still be throwing my hands up in the air

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I think choosing not to support a violent state is a worthy enough goal to start with

because, hoo boy, supporting them now isn't stopping Israel from straight-up murder

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular

I feel like I could spend literal years reading up history and culture and still be throwing my hands up in the air

Imagine you have a culture and people and a connection to the land that goes back thousands of years

And then one day someone comes along and says "this is ours now" and makes you live in a small fraction of what used to be your land

And they treat you like a second class citizen, robbing and killing with impunity

And any attempt to fight back is met with even harsher reprisals

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    The creation of the state of Israel out of the Palestinian Mandate was probably a mistake (which engendered a series of further mistakes by all parties in the region) but disestablishing Israel was never going to solve the problem and would only make it worse now

The main practical problem with cutting off support to Israel is that an IDF incapable of defending the country conventionally - and Israel's size, terrain and location make it very hard to defend - is very likely to resort to nuclear weapons in order to deter hostile Arab powers.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »

Imagine you have a culture and people and a connection to the land that goes back thousands of years

And then one day someone comes along and says "this is ours now" and makes you live in a small fraction of what used to be your land

And they treat you like a second class citizen, robbing and killing with impunity

yeah pooro's native american

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »

are you describing Palestinians or Jews here?

because I can't tell if you did that intentionally, but you basically described how both sides percieve their own history

This discussion has been closed.