As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Revenge of Interesting Facts: STAY INSIDE ON WIKIPEDIA

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    These moose are the small ones after the larger ones died out awhile ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZEYcbhcLsw

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Would that I had lived in such a time that I might've eaten the Huge Deer.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    If I was ever killed by a cow in my final moments I would nod to the cow in acceptance of my fate though I fought bitterly against the cow.

Revenge will have been served.

I’ve thought about it and an undignified death by cow would be very much in line with how my life usually turns out.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Would that I had lived in such a time that I might've eaten the Huge Deer.

certainly would've shot some of the fuckers in the face outta spite at least

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I just learned that there's a neurological disorder that causes you to continuously make bad puns and inappropriate jokes. It also makes you unable to appreciate anyone else's jokes or understand comedy in general.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I just learned that there's a neurological disorder that causes you to continuously make bad puns and inappropriate jokes. It also makes you unable to appreciate anyone else's jokes or understand comedy in general.

Under the "no punching down" rule, the only people allowed to make jokes about Witzelsucht are those that have it and therefore can't.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Neurological disorders like that are kind of deeply existentially terrifying, like peeling back the siding on the house of consciousness to show just how rooted in flesh, neurons, and glands our minds are. Your mind and your consciousness are as mutable and physical and fallible as your body, because they are your body.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    If I was ever killed by a cow in my final moments I would nod to the cow in acceptance of my fate though I fought bitterly against the cow.

Revenge will have been served.

I’ve thought about it and an undignified death by cow would be very much in line with how my life usually turns out.

Just don't tie yourself to your dog when entering cow country.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/mar/11/austria-to-introduce-rules-for-hikers-after-cow-trampling-death
    https://gulfnews.com/world/europe/austrian-court-says-hiker-partly-to-blame-for-deadly-cow-attack-1.1566907887497

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

That's what she said!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    OK, so... does the entire Internet have Witzelsucht, then? Because that is consistent with its behavior, and it's a much less disturbing explanation than all the Extremely Online people being rabid monsters.

(I know which of the two it actually is, unfortunately.)

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Neurological disorders like that are kind of deeply existentially terrifying, like peeling back the siding on the house of consciousness to show just how rooted in flesh, neurons, and glands our minds are. Your mind and your consciousness are as mutable and physical and fallible as your body, because they are your body.
    I've come off of general anesthesia after surgery, been given morphine twice, and took (prescription) Oxycodone for a day, and each one of those experiences reminded me that 'my mind' and 'my personality' are really just a collection of gears and cranks and screws and doodads that happen to interlock in a certain way - but any number of them can just fall out of the mechanism and it'll still mostly work and still do mostly the same job, but will be noticeably different.

I was prescribed that Oxycodone years ago after my first chemo session, and after taking it I think twice, I was like "Hahaha no, I'm actually just going to endure this unendurable pain rather than deal with the absolute existential horror of trying to navigate from the couch to the bathroom with my mind operating my body via a lossy, high-latency remote control".

EDIT: Honestly, even just having a conversation with my wife when one of us is awake and the other is only ostensibly awake is a reminder of how many moving parts "consciousness" actually consists of. There've been so many times when my wife asks me "Hey, do you remember when you woke up and said/did X?", and sometimes I absolutely don't, and other times I distinctly remember being awake enough to process what was going on around me and formulate a cogent response in my head, but absolutely not being enough in control of my faculties to actually say the response. Usually I try to say something or pantomime it, and then just give up and roll over and go back to sleep.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    My dad took a veritable cocktail of medications due to poor health and I have seen what that shit can do to your mind.

Like, yeah, we are Us only so long as nothing fucks with our us-code. One little chemical blip and you're a completely different human being. Or I dunno, you turn into a pile of goo after all your gene bits disconnect. I didn't pay that much attention in high school biology.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    It seems to me the idea of uploading your consciousness outside of your frail meaty chassis is doomed for what of your conciousness would remain divorced from said meat

Unless you could...upload the meat.....

• Options
    No, you got it.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I imagine the best we could do is upload a static copy of our consciousness as it is in that moment. Where it goes from there would be divorced of the meat and beholden only to its own thoughts.

Of course "we" would still inhabit our meat while the copy is functionally immortal

• Options
    Unless you could...upload the meat.....
    Now there is a pick-up line.

• Options
    Virtual Meat is the name of my retrofuture electronica grindcore band

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Why discard the flesh when...all can be made flesh...ever yielding yet ever growing......

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Why discard the flesh when...all can be made flesh...ever yielding yet ever growing......

Ë́ͮ̋̎͏̷͔̖̻͡ ̶͙̭̝̺̮̤̺ͤ͒̏ͭ͆́M͔̭̻̟ͨ̋͂̏ͯ͛ͭ̍ ̢̩ͧ͋̽̀̎́ͤ̆B̡͎̥̯̦̗ͤ̈́͆ ̢̫̺̄̌̀͐̄͌͆͝ͅR̻̫͚͓̱̯͔̈́ͮ̋͠ ̵̲͉̏̽͆̃̅A͍̳̼̟̥̤̩̤̔̔̀ͮͩ̌ ̶̵͖̦̠͖̫̓̆͋̇̇͐̒C̎̒́͒҉͉̟͉͚̝̱̞ ̬͚̣̟͛͌ͣ͆̑̕Ȩ̸̘̱̦͕̘ͬͬͤ́̎ͧ̍͟ ͈ͮ͛͗̀͋̍͗̍̚U̓͌ͯ͌҉͎̦͢ ̵̹̬͖ͤ͒̑̾̔͢N̙̫͇̹̹̝̫̎͊͗̆̃̄̕ ̢̰̘̩͇͚̙̤̜̽̐̂́̉ͬ̚͡I̶͙̥͍̦ͬ͂ͧͩ͗͊̓̀ ̌̓̓ͭ̒ͩͮ͂҉̹̤͇̟̼̻Ṫ̩͈̗͔͍̩͆ͩ͗͢ ̴̼͖͓̞̩̙͍͉̄̈́͠Y̸̖̺̝̳̥̐̽͗̔̂ͤ͢͢

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    LOOK AT YOU HACKER

oh wait we're doing a different thing huh

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Flesh

I like saying flesh

Flesh
    Flesh
    Flesh

Fish flesh fresh fish

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    LOOK AT YOU HACKER

oh wait we're doing a different thing huh

you're thinking of the many who is the exact polar opposite of shodan!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp5xGLj1RME

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Options
    My dad took a veritable cocktail of medications due to poor health and I have seen what that shit can do to your mind.

Like, yeah, we are Us only so long as nothing fucks with our us-code. One little chemical blip and you're a completely different human being. Or I dunno, you turn into a pile of goo after all your gene bits disconnect. I didn't pay that much attention in high school biology.

People have been driven insane just from having their nasal turbinates removed (Empty Nose Syndrome). I can’t imagine the effect the permanent loss of all bodily sensation would have.

I think the best we could hope for is to donate a copy of our memories to an AI that could access them like any other data, but that AI certainly wouldn’t be “us”.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

Seen here a former member of the Kanto Women Delinquent Alliance
    3jw5a7t7s4dp.png

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    On the subject of snake antivenom treatments, this story will probably make your blood boil. A friend of mine ran a hospital in Papua New Guinea (PNG). There are heaps of very deadly snakes there, and they actually pump millions of dollars into antivenom programs, most of which is provided by foreign aid.

Turns out the minister of health there just embezzled millions of dollars, and bought some cheap as shit cobra antivenom from India. This is a problem because 1) it's cheap as shit so it's probably expired/ineffective 2) antivenom generally needs to be from the snake what bit you to be effective. There are no king cobras in PNG! Hundreds if not thousands of people died so one guy could get stinking rich

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    This thread has just been rough for a while so I want to put in something interesting and something positive.

Iceland is one of the few places in the world that still doesn't use a surname system. There are a few people (mostly immigrants) that have surnames, sure, but most of the time when you see an Icelandic name, it'll be something like, well let's use the Mountain as an example: Hafþór Björnsson. He is not of the family Björnsson. His father is named Björn, so he is Hafþór son of Björn. He has a sister, Hafdís Björnsdóttir, so Hafdís daughter of Björn. It's most common and traditional to use a patronym, one's father's name, but plenty of people are the son or daughter of their mother, and people can just choose to do that if they like. Thus, since they aren't properly last names, just patronym/matronyms, the polite form of address towards an Icelander is to use their first name (or if there would be confusion, using the full name is fine). People are listed alphabetically by first name in registers and phone books. When your entire nation has a whole 360,000 people or so, you can get away with this pretty well.

Now you may be wondering, what room is there for nonbinary folks is such a heavily gendered system? Well, Icelanders put some thought into that. When they recently updated the registers so people can be listed as nonbinary, they also added an additional suffix option, -bur (child of) which carries no gender connotations but maintains their national tradition.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Fuck yeah

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    God Iceland seems so fuckin' rad.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I would absolutely live in Iceland if it seemed like a plausible course reroute for my life's direction. Go on sick adventures to the volcanoes, get horribly injured, fail to learn the lesson and do it again ad infinitum.

• Options
    The fairies would strip your carcass to the bone

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    A price worth paying.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    The fairies would strip your carcass to the bone

Reminded me of this:

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I was just in Iceland for a couple days. Definitely seemed rad.

Also I have never seen a hill that made me more certain there was some kind of troll or elf living there than I did there.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Obligatory Iceland video involving the sun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5q77MQzU2Q

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    https://www.npr.org/2019/09/03/756048206/cherokee-nation-names-first-delegate-to-congress?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=npr&utm_medium=social&utm_term=nprnews&fbclid=IwAR2z0CY34DVfBr8Bvhgp-aY4MP6nB-yvmqwQdX-_mNli0sbEv5GwYQSaX0o

the treaty of echota, which led to the trail of tears, also technically allowed the cherokee nation to appoint a non-voting member to congress

and they finally have been allowed to after 200 years

she can sit in committees and speak on the floor

• Options
    fuck the US

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »
    Obligatory Iceland video involving the sun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5q77MQzU2Q

DAVE

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    A collection of increasingly interesting facts:

Blenheim Palace was closed this morning.

Because it suffered some flooding damage last night.

Because someone stole a toilet that was still plumbed into the water supply.

Because the toilet was worth 5 million dollars.

Because the toilet was made of solid gold.

The solid gold toilet was named "America."

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/uk-blenheim-palace-gold-toilet-scli-gbr-intl/index.html

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    A collection of increasingly interesting facts:

Blenheim Palace was closed this morning.

Because it suffered some flooding damage last night.

Because someone stole a toilet that was still plumbed into the water supply.

Because the toilet was worth 5 million dollars.

Because the toilet was made of solid gold.

The solid gold toilet was named "America."

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/uk-blenheim-palace-gold-toilet-scli-gbr-intl/index.html

Really? No decoy replacement toilet that's just a regular toilet spray painted gold? Couldn't even shut off the water before they removed it? Thieves have no panache any more.

This discussion has been closed.