As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Revenge of Interesting Facts: STAY INSIDE ON WIKIPEDIA

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    I think that perhaps there are better things for a political leader to do than spend two hours a night learning about anti-Missile Missiles but I will grant you that if you are an American right now a President who can spend a couple of hours a night learning about anything would be a step up probably

I'd settle for a president who can fucking read

"intellectually curious" is a wishlist item, I'm not even sure Biden qualifies for that

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Platy wrote: »
    The Greek mythology thing goes back a long time, the British warships at Trafalgar had names like Mars, Neptune, Agamemnon, Ajax, Orion, Minotaur, Spartiate, Bellerophon, Collosus, Achille, Polyphemus, Phoebe and Sirius

There was also an HMS Pickle at Trafalgar but that was a schooner which supplied other ships

The best British warship ever was called Thunderchild.

uhhhh

• Options
    and the most awarded ship in the royal navy is the HMS Warspite

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    HMS Terror is pretty gnarly I think

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I think naming a couple ships Terror and Erebus and sending them off on an exploratory mission into the hellish unknown is a pretty rotten trick to play on all those sailors

• Options
    HMS Terror is pretty gnarly I think

the terror and erebus are the most appropriately named ships possible

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    That's why your experienced salts always tried to sign up for the HMS Party Boat

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    HMS Sea Orgy, HMS Lenient Officers, HMS Fucking Drunk

• Options
    HMS Stick of Fucking Dynamite

wait no, that's the Hood

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    The Biggest Frog that Ever Lived 7:24
    https://youtu.be/5nCPbPPrQxQ
    Untangling the origins of Beelzebufo -- the giant frog that lived alongside the dinosaurs -- turns out to be one of the most bedeviling problems in the history of amphibians.

Thank you to these paleoartists for allowing us to use their wonderful illustrations:
    Ceri Thomas: http://alphynix.tumblr.com/
    Nobu Tamura: https://spinops.blogspot.com/
    Julio Lacerda: https://252mya.com/gallery/julio-lacerda

This video features this paleogeographic map: Scotese, C.R., 2019. Plate Tectonics, Paleogeography, and Ice Ages

Here are the two of the papers we reference in this video:
    Evans SE, Groenke JR, Jones MEH, Turner AH, Krause DW (2014) New Material of Beelzebufo, a Hyperossified Frog (Amphibia: Anura) from the Late Cretaceous of Madagascar. PLoS ONE 9(1): e87236. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone....

Lappin, A.K., Wilcox, S.C., Moriarty, D.J. et al. Bite force in the horned frog (Ceratophrys cranwelli) with implications for extinct giant frogs. Sci Rep 7, 11963 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-017-11...

Produced in collaboration with PBS Digital Studios

Peas on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Everyone is focusing on Kratos but I also love General Atomics. Like if the 50s vision of the future had panned out it would have been these guys selling us tabletop nuclear reactors and thorium water heaters.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    HMS Sea Orgy, HMS Lenient Officers, HMS Fucking Drunk

HMS Gronk Cruise

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    HMS Warspite is indeed a badass name and she was also a crucial element in both world wars. She existed specifically because Admiral John Fisher, First Sea Lord, advocated for "fast battleships" to be created after the paradigm shift of his own HMS Dreadnought completely changed the naval game. (And was a direct contributor to WWI even happening to begin with.)

But my favorite Royal Navy ship was HMS Audacious, a King George V class and the last of her line. A genuinely great name and it's a shame she basically did nothing and was sunk a year after her launch.

Tell you what, those Brits do know how to name a ship.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Everyone is focusing on Kratos but I also love General Atomics. Like if the 50s vision of the future had panned out it would have been these guys selling us tabletop nuclear reactors and thorium water heaters.

It's kinda telling they are the only company to basically be directly ported to the Fallout universe without a name change.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    An Egyptian high priest could probably swing like a gold sphere for a replacement eyeball

I suppose it would be extremely heavy and uncomfortable in your socket but fuck it

The oldest known replacement eyeball is 4800 years old, found in southeast Iran

burnt-city-eyeball-3.gif

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I think General Atomics is a fantastic name I heartily approve of that sort of brutalism in corporate naming convention

See also the Izhevsk Machine-Building Plant which recently changed its name to the Kalashnikov Concern, both excellent

Hobnail on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I think General Atomics is a fantastic name I heartily approve of that sort of brutalism in corporate naming convention

See also the Izhevsk Machine-Building Plant which recently changed its name to the Kalashnikov Concern, both excellent

Holy shit

• Options
    Right like mwah love it

• Options
    I saw The Kalashnikov Concern play a grimy little bar stage back before they released their first album, they were great.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Japan also gets those kinds of names right a lot, with things like Mitsubishi Heavy Industries and Nippon Steel

• Options
    I like how old American companies would be called like

The Californian Electrical Engine Co.

And they'd make Electrical Engines, and be in California. You know? That 50's vibe. But also yes Brutalism in company names rules

• Options
    Mitsubishi Heavy Industries is a cool name though for sure. Anything Heavy Industries, you know?

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    And then the companies with very specific names do something outside of that. That's my favourite bit. Like when IBM made M1 Carbines, or when General Motors made M1 Carbines, or when the Underwood Typewriter Company made M1 Carbines, or the Rock-Ola Company (a jukebox manufacturer) when it made, well you probably get the idea.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Platy wrote: »
    The Greek mythology thing goes back a long time, the British warships at Trafalgar had names like Mars, Neptune, Agamemnon, Ajax, Orion, Minotaur, Spartiate, Bellerophon, Collosus, Achille, Polyphemus, Phoebe and Sirius

There was also an HMS Pickle at Trafalgar but that was a schooner which supplied other ships

The best British warship ever was called Thunderchild.

uhhhh

I didn't say "most effective against the Martian tripods"

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Surely there's a failsafe where the human pilots can capture a drone if it goes out of control. Some sort of skynet, perhaps.
    https://youtu.be/pyMNIFZTQkg

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I like how old American companies would be called like

The Californian Electrical Engine Co.

And they'd make Electrical Engines, and be in California. You know? That 50's vibe. But also yes Brutalism in company names rules

BMW - Bayrische Motorenwerke. Bavarian Engine Factories. Bit of an outlier compared to most carmakers.

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    what would google be called if it had a brutalist name

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    Mountain View Electronic Industries

Seattle Personal Logistics, Inc.

ZUCC (Zuckerberg Universal Communications Co.)

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    V1m wrote: »
    I feel like a High Priest probably would have been OK even if blind

Royalty or high ranking clergy sure. But for the average person? Even in the more civilized areas I don't think there was much in the way of aid for the disabled.

Many people had families...

• Options
    and the most awarded ship in the royal navy is the HMS Warspite

Which although not calssical is a pretty on point name for a battleship. Tells you what it's for and why, right there on the tin.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Japanese companies with great names? Like Japan Break Industries?

But the great military names reminded me of one of my favorites. General Charles H. "Tick" Bonesteel III who is of course the son of Major General Bonesteel Jr. whose father was Major Charles Bonesteel Sr. Here's a picture of Chuck the Third.

Charles_H_Bonesteel_III.jpg

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    HMS Warspite is indeed a badass name and she was also a crucial element in both world wars. She existed specifically because Admiral John Fisher, First Sea Lord, advocated for "fast battleships" to be created after the paradigm shift of his own HMS Dreadnought completely changed the naval game. (And was a direct contributor to WWI even happening to begin with.)

But my favorite Royal Navy ship was HMS Audacious, a King George V class and the last of her line. A genuinely great name and it's a shame she basically did nothing and was sunk a year after her launch.

warspite didn't really do much in ww1 outside of show up to the battle of jutland, which is just a comedy of errors and bad decisions by literally everybody involved

but in ww2 she was right there in the thick of it for most of the war

the uss enterprise is still the most decorated ww2 vessel though

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular

warspite didn't really do much in ww1 outside of show up to the battle of jutland, which is just a comedy of errors and bad decisions by literally everybody involved

How did they decorate it? Did they put up streamers and apply awesome decals?

:rotate:

• Options
    I'm picturing a lot of tinsel

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »

How did they decorate it? Did they put up streamers and apply awesome decals?

:rotate:

like, essentially yes!

• Options
    I think more navy vessels need slick racing stripes.

It'll make them sail faster.

• Options
    nd5uk6s2yywa.png

CHOO CHOO MOTHERFUCKERS

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    It must cost a whole lot of money to paint any sized warship...

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Uriel wrote: »
    It must cost a whole lot of money to paint any sized warship...

extraordinary amounts

battleships and carriers are so unbelievably expensive to build and maintain, most nations can't afford one

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    What if the carrier was cake?

This discussion has been closed.