As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Person of [Chat]

JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp.I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
edited May 2016 in Debate and/or Discourse
GVdwEqI.jpg
7NtI7TC.jpg?2

Person of Interest is a police/espionage/action/superhero/science fiction/roguelike about a good dog and his team of human agents, including nerd, hot nerd, fat cop, lady cop, lesbian assassin, and the kneecap avenger. Together they fight for justice in a dystopian cyberpunk hellscape that is also 2016 New York.

I am joking and yet only one word of what I just wrote is actually untrue. Welcome to what may very well be the most ambitious and sustained act of bait-and-switch ever committed to television.

John Reese (Jim Caviziel) is a former special forces soldier and black-bag assassin on the verge of killing himself with guilt. Harold Finch (Michael Emerson) is a deeply secretive software billionaire who's written a pattern-recognition algorithm to help the NSA detect potential terrorists. However, it also detects everything else: husbands plotting to kill their wives. Ordinary people who've gotten in trouble with the mob, or who have blown the whistle at a company willing to kill to keep its secrets. Every week, guided only by a single clue that the program sends them - a social security number that may belong to a victim or a perpetrator - Finch and Reese plunge into a world of corner drug deals, insider bond trading, international espionage - or just simple domestic drama.

This is the formula that made Person of Interest one of the best-rated debut shows of 2012. It was well-cast and slickly made - as you'd expect from JJ Abrams - the procedural mysteries were well-written, and there has always been a somewhat dark, cockeyed sense of humor; still, the enterprise, which perfectly fit CBS's cracker-eating old people demographic, still seemed unusually ordinary for such an ambitious producer, not to mention for showrunner and head writer Jonathan Nolan.

And then things started getting weird.

Now we're embarking on season 5 - the show's last hurrah - and, aside from some of the characters, literally almost none of what I wrote above is true. The show has smoothly evolved from one form into another in a transition so seamless that I think it will stand as a model for serial drama (yes, I did say "serial") going forward for the next decade.

But, like a great man used to say every week on Reading Rainbow, you don't have to take my word for it:
Variable wrote: »
Person of Interest started as a guilty pleasure (you can find posts of mine in that fashion after season 1 or 2 iirc) and became one of my favorite shows.

whereas a show like Grim is something I still find fun, PoI has gone leaps and bounds passed what I thought it could or indeed would even try to do
Chanus wrote: »
person of interest is so good you guys
Apothe0sis wrote: »
Person of interest is the glory of glories
chu if you dislike person of interest we are going to have some serious conversations about how much better it is than the things you do like
Just finished season 3 of Person of Interest.

Man, this show certainly goes places.
When I described that show to speed as being like metal gear solid

Be was surprised because he thought it was just a procedural
Grey Ghost wrote: »
One of the things I like about Person of Interest is how creepy Reese is, and how they mostly refrain from making him into some suave glib badass

Dude comes at motherfuckers like Jason Voorhees
Person of Interest, man.

Person of Interest is a show.

It is available to watch on your electronic adding machine of choice via US Netflix right now.

If you are about to embark on this journey for the first time, then I have only one thing to say to you:

Jacobkosh on

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Jacob know what to lead with to attract his audience

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Speaking of person of interest there's a PERSON who set a fire next to my office building and police are INTERESTED in figuring it out. Unfortunately that means no parking for us at the moment.

Also, I should probably watch Person of Interest it looks kind of neat and I didn't realize it went sci-fi.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Lastest episode of Person of Interest was a tease of epic proportion and I resent it!

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Jacob know what to lead with to attract his audience

In another life, I could have been a carnival barker.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    I would add that I think Person of Interest laid the foundation for Mr Robot in terms of the scope of its ambition and its trust in the audience. Which is also one of the best things ever made.

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Tell me about the doge

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Speaking of person of interest there's a PERSON who set a fire next to my office building and police are INTERESTED in figuring it out. Unfortunately that means no parking for us at the moment.

Also, I should probably watch Person of Interest it looks kind of neat and I didn't realize it went sci-fi.

Wait, it was seriously arson? That's nuts.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    Tell me about the doge

He is good

I don't think you need anything else

• Options
    The doge's name is Bear and he is the best doge.

• Options
    Good doge

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

Wait, it was seriously arson? That's nuts.

Yup! Found the person on one of the cameras, probably the same person who's been setting small fires around town for the past few months.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Also Person of Interest people have you watched Blindspot?

it is pretty much pure garbo except...
    Aside from more or less copying the broad strokes of the premise of Person of Interest - just in time uncanny exposure of crimes and conspiracy from a black box (in this case, Jane's tattoos as opposed to a pattern matching algorithm).

I am pretty sure that only way to explain Jane's tattoos and the timelines of the shows is via a massive A.I. As well, otherwise plausibility goes out the window.

So, if that turns out to be true, my gritting my teeth trough the godawful execution may be worth it.

• Options
    GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular
    GIS for alligator of interest:

26882345.jpg

• Options
    Tell me about the doge

He speaks Dutch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_jmKWiRxT4

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    http://frog.tips/

useful tips for operating your frog

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Hello chatters of interest

• Options
    edited May 2016
    I think Variable's quote in the OP most accurately describes my relationship with the show. I started watching it on a business trip and it definitely got its hooks into me but it was a guilty pleasure - it followed its formula, which was a good enough excuse for the bits I liked, two unstoppable forces of a man who were interesting characters executing justice in a pleasing fashion. It has elements of Burn Notice in terms of Jesus's character Reese but he's also very different to Michael Weston.

Anyway, its mid season and finale episodes were always tours de force with musical, action and narrative choices that were extremely bold and very exciting but it is so much more than how it was initially presented.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    My pillow case has left marks all over my face so I look like a scarred up bond villain this morning

• Options
    a6YZWy3.jpg
    Dogs don't speak Dutch.

• Options
    YOUR FROG CANNOT PLAY MPEG AUDIO LAYER III ("MP3") RECORDINGS WITHOUT EXPRESS WRITTEN PERMISSION FROM THE U.S. PATENT OFFICE.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    I think Variable's quote in the OP most accurately describes my relationship with the show. I started watching it on a business trip and it definitely got its hooks into me but it was a guilty pleasure - it followed its formula, which was a good enough excuse for the bits I liked, two unstoppable forces of a man who were interesting characters executing justice in a pleasing fashion. It has elements of Burn Notice in terms of Jesus's character Reese but he's also very different to Michael Weston.

Anyway, its mid season and finale episodes were always tours de force with musical, action and narrative choices that were extremely bold and very exciting but it is so much more than how it was initially presented.

I had my holy shit moment at the end of season 1.
    Reese speaking directly to the system and the implications thereof. MIND: BLOWN.

Like, that paradigm shift. Completely unexpected.

Echo on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    New radiohead is p good guys

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Echo wrote: »

I had my holy shit moment at the end of season 1.
    Reese speaking directly to the system and the implications thereof. MIND: BLOWN.
    Indeed, but then I was still too wedded to my assumptions about network television to think they would truly follow this to a true A.I. and then when they did,
    turning it it into a low cyberpunk total war between two competing A.I. Is not where I thought it would go.

Edit
    Though technically I guess it is post cyberpunk

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    Casual wrote: »
    My pillow case has left marks all over my face so I look like a scarred up bond villain this morning

Morning Casual

• Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    I have this addon that gives me a new (slightly edited) satellite picture whenever I open a new tab

sometimes you get som pretty surreal stuff

https://g.co/ev/1817

• Options
    The tragedy of Person of Interest is that I don't know if Jim Caveziel will ever get appropriate credit for his ability to deadpan.

I am watching the new one:
    "I guess some people can't handle their grog."

• Options
    [PAGES 225-268 OF THE FROG OPERATOR'S HANDBOOK HAVE BEEN TEMPORARILY ELIDED PENDING LITIGATION BY THE RAYTHEON COMPANY.]

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular

"morning"

• Options
    Haphazard wrote: »

"morning"

How was your lunch Haps?

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    now I'm watching youtube clips featuring the dog

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Also, best scene in PoI I've seen so far was the opening of one episode where a few guys in ski masks kidnapped someone and filmed it.
    I hope you know what I mean.
    One of the best opening scenes ever.

• Options
    edited May 2016

"morning"

How was your lunch Haps?

Apple-y!

Haphazard on
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    I am offended at not being quoted in the OP as a person who loves PoI (and not in the TL;DR sense)

Also hot nerd/lesbian assassin for ultimate otp 2016

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    4fuesacrj11q.jpg

BronzeKoopa on
    frog.jpg 183.8K
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Considering starting again in Stellaris, not digging this game I'm in.

• Options
    Also, best scene in PoI I've seen so far was the opening of one episode where a few guys in ski masks kidnapped someone and filmed it.
    I hope you know what I mean.
    One of the best opening scenes ever.

I don't remember ... Please advise

• Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    The best PoI opening was when they introduced Lesbian Assassin. Nerd and Kneecap Avenger didn't show up until like halfway through, and so I didn't know if I was watching the right show, but the show that I was watching was so good that I didn't bother to check.

• Options
    Considering starting again in Stellaris, not digging this game I'm in.

make a race of hippie fungus people

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    good morning fuscos

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    The tragedy of Person of Interest is that I don't know if Jim Caveziel will ever get appropriate credit for his ability to deadpan.

I am watching the new one:
    "I guess some people can't handle their grog."

some of his one liners and snarky retorts are just amazingly delivered

Allegedly a voice of reason.
This discussion has been closed.