As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sobriety gift for a friend

UncleChetUncleChet N00bLancaster, PARegistered User regular
edited May 2016 in Help / Advice Forum
I have a friend who's hit his 9 months, I'd like to do something (gift) to help him mark his 1 year. I think it's great with the difficulty involved. So, here's the maybe weird part...I lost a very close friend to their own alcoholism. I will openly admit that in addition to celebrating my friends accomplishment, part of me is reaching to give the support that I didn't give enough support to. Is that too weird?

(Fixed phone typo)

I'm sometimes grumpy and random, feel free to overlook the strange man in the corner.
UncleChet on

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    No, it's not weird, but very understandable. Just don't let your feelings override their accomplishment. Find something that they love, perhaps something that they are really enjoying now, and get them a gift based on that.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Yeah, as there's generally a struggle with "social activities" - maybe buy him a tabletop game and setup a weekly game, or get him a gift certificate for something he's been wanting to try (rock climbing, personal coaching time at the gym or some other activity)

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Maybe even set up a party with mutual friends or just a day at the park where you grill some food and play frisbee or something, my dad always valued his time with friends after getting clean.

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    Yeah, as there's generally a struggle with "social activities" - maybe buy him a tabletop game and setup a weekly game, or get him a gift certificate for something he's been wanting to try (rock climbing, personal coaching time at the gym or some other activity)

Yeah, changing people/places/things is big. So if he's picked up new hobbies/activities, try and reinforce them. Try to avoid anything associated with his previous drinking.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    If you opt for something big, make sure your friend is 100% on board and wanting to celebrate big before going that route. Some people want a party and a big deal, others may have personal reasons for not wanting a lot of attention called to things like this. In that case a small token or just some words of appreciation may be more appropriate.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    If you opt for something big, make sure your friend is 100% on board and wanting to celebrate big before going that route. Some people want a party and a big deal, others may have personal reasons for not wanting a lot of attention called to things like this. In that case a small token or just some words of appreciation may be more appropriate.

ASsan ex addict, I will say that it may not seem like it, but ya, even a night of you two gaming together or something is big. You do start to feel like sobriety costs you both your circle and your hobbies because they intertwined, so being able to revisit something ( gaming was just an example) could work too

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508