Options

Help fixing jerk cat. Cat problems off the chart.

Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So RavenRegistered User regular
Got a kitty! He is adorable and very friendly some of the time. Most of the time he is a colossal prick. Is there any way to fix him so he stops being a colossal prick? DRX is calling him a "reclamation project" but he is too cute and friendly to throw in the trash. Lookit this guy;

QVpLt4Hl.jpg

So he is very cuddly and loves being around people all the time, will curl up on people and go to sleep, seems happy most of the time. Hooray. Put that in the + column. Here are the minuses;
- he will bite people unprovoked. No going near his belly, no other warning signs like flattened ears or wagging tail, just out of nowhere, chomp. Once he's decided to bite, he won't stop, will dig claws in and just go to town on you. He keeps purring while doing it, so it seems like it's playful. He'll also attack feet when you're walking down stairs, and I have nearly tripped over him doing this several times. This is probably the worst behavior, and the one I wanna fix the most. Unfortunately it happens pretty frequently.

- goes inside couch and shreds it from within. Only way to get him out is to shake treats. Have sprayed some of that anti-cat juice in there, and bought him a new scratching post. This is tentatively solved, as he hasn't gone in there today...

- chews on power cables, plastic like DRX's precious gunpla and lego.

- tries to eat our food, drink from anything we have laying around. We end up having to lock him in the bathroom while we're eating.

- won't bury his poop in the litter box. This is pretty minor and doesn't really bother us, but maybe it's related.
Think that's it. It's like a comprehensive list of all possible cat problems, and he has all of em!

So the current discipline he's been getting is time outs. Any time he bites or does any of the above, he gets picked up and put in the bathroom, locked in for about 20 minutes. This seems to have no effect, as he doesn't seem all that bothered by it. Spray bottle of water also has no effect, neither does shouting at him or clapping. DRX has got angry and picked him up by the scruff a few times, and even that doesn't seem to disable him or have any real effect...

And this isn't like one off bad behaviour per day, he seems to go from one thing to another constantly, and we end up yelling at him or locking him in time out multiple times per hour.

Any advice? :<

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    How often do you play with him? He could be doing these because he is bored, or he wants attention.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Someone played with him with hands when he was young and now he considers them toys. When he does that, you need to respond with a loud NO and then push him off you. No cuddles if he's bitey. Same thing with the food, NO and push away. You could use a water sprayer as well. Just pile on the negative stimuli short of hitting. You also may have to lock him in a kennel when he acts up for 10 mins or so.

A lot of that behavior will mellow with age as well; it's very "terrible twos" behavior for kittens. But, TL;DR, he needs discipline.

Get him a few more scratching posts as well if he's really destructive.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    That's definitely pretty rough. In addition to getting cat scratchers, you might also consider something like Soft Paws nail caps. I've never used them on our cats because one is pretty good with his claws and the other is declawed (and no, I don't recommend that, but her previous owners did it to her), but I've seen plenty of people praise them.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2016
    Standard answer is "Play with them more" and its not wrong advice, though a little frustrating when you cant dedicate your whole life to playing with your cat. Any behavior you can redirect to toys is going to help you, though. We have a few feather wands, he gets bored with literally everything else. Well. Except his catnip banana.

My cat is a bit older, so his energy levels are lower, but he did have a little bout of biting and attacking my feet. It was only at night when I was pacing the apartment getting ready for bed and shutting things down. I started to carry the bird toy with me, just letting it trail behind me, and it was too interesting and noisy for him to not go for that instead of me. A week of that plus a few good hisses if he went for me instead, and he doesn't do it anymore, even when I'm not carrying something around.

Yelling does nothing for my cat, its a human sound he gives no fucks about. Hissing is more specifically the "cat no" and he pays attention. Either through the teeth or the back of the throat. The water bottle was great for making him stop beating at the bed room door, but ultimately he knows its only going to get him wet if we are holding it, and I didn't want to be carrying around a spray bottle all the damn time. So, I hiss and disengage. If he bites me he gets pushed off the couch. Now he basically will mime the action if hes tired of something but he wont actually make contact. Like we've mutually agreed on a warning system.

If your cat is super food focused though, some of our solutions might work for you. We have a puzzle bottle that basically always has dry food in it. Our cats a little on the tubbier side now, but the bottle is his go to for a little stimulation and a snack, and he gets meals that are wet food. The bottle only has a hole big enough to release one kernel at a time (get a nice food, with uniform kernels, we get Blue wilderness stuff).

We've also clicker trained him to sit and shut the fuck up for food. That took a bit more time, but hes learned he has to do some shit and cant just jump all over us and cry to get food, which seriously reduced begging behaviors. Cats do respond to training, they are just way less eager to please you than dogs, so it requires some patience and bargaining

Isolating him never really helped much, personally. Hes on his best behavior when hes super distracted. If you have a window you can put a bird feeder close to, something like that would probably help. I made a makeshift kitty door for the balcony and now specter can sit outside for the majority of the day and cackle at the birds. Now that hes up all day, hes too tired to give a shit about my feet at night.

Iruka on
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Time outs don't work because the cat doesn't have the capacity to realize the isolation time is related to his behavior. Iruka's advice is pretty sound.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    It's also worth noting that you can't change all behavior if you are starting halfway. You may be able to mitigate and reduce these things (the degree of which is determined by how consistent you are on the behavioral programming you are doing), but they aren't likely to ever fully go away. Consistency is key!

Enc on
  • Options
    witch_iewitch_ie Registered User regular
    For the most part, if cats want to misbehave, they will. Here are some things that have worked well as deterrents for us:

- Lots of attention and playing when they are good; stop it when they misbehave
    - Citrus spray for power cords - make the cords taste yucky for kitties
    - Isolation in the bathroom anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 days (for serious offenses)
    - Rewards (treats and attention) for scratching their scratching posts
    - Sticky tape in areas we don't want them to go or scratch (maybe good for your couch)
    - Keeping the house orderly; same time for dinner, litter box cleaning and no clothes or food left out (strange how this sets expectations with cats)

• Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    My brother's cat used to bite when picked up. I just started hissing in her face and she stopped. It took probably 2 months of that but now she doesn't bite at all (or if she does, usually if she's really annoyed, a good stern NO makes her stop immediately).

So uh... hiss at your cat?

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Time outs don't work because the cat doesn't have the capacity to realize the isolation time is related to his behavior. Iruka's advice is pretty sound.

It does but you have to do it consistently and for a good long time. It's worked for two of my past cats.

• Options
    witch_ie wrote: »
    For the most part, if cats want to misbehave, they will. Here are some things that have worked well as deterrents for us:

- Lots of attention and playing when they are good; stop it when they misbehave
    - Citrus spray for power cords - make the cords taste yucky for kitties
    - Isolation in the bathroom anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 days (for serious offenses)
    - Rewards (treats and attention) for scratching their scratching posts
    - Sticky tape in areas we don't want them to go or scratch (maybe good for your couch)
    - Keeping the house orderly; same time for dinner, litter box cleaning and no clothes or food left out (strange how this sets expectations with cats)

Psychologically, isolation doesn't trigger for cats. They don't know why they are locked up, only that they are locked up and don't like it. Their brains aren't wired to understand the causation on that level. Part of why spraybottles generally work well are due to the immediate cause-effect trigger. Do this, that happens. Isolation just triggers unhappiness over time and (usually) just associates it with the human putting them up or being carried to that location, rather than the action you are punishing.

• Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    I gotta say, when I was frustrated with cat behavior it was even more demoralizing to go on the crazy cat sites and read how much you must be failing to love and play with your cat if it would even think to pounce on you. I was giving my cat nearly an hour in the morning and evening of pure play time and he was still being a dickbag the majority of the time, and was at my wits end for a minute. So I kinda hate that guy. It seems like his entire deal is basically like, if you don't bend your whole life to your cat, you're a shitty owner.

I'd highly recommend a little training. Training your cat to sit is like trying to charm a snake, but when you both get the hang of it, training is fun attention time! You get to play and reinforce habits you want, like "Sit down" and "Jesus, shut up". Also fun things like "Jump here!" and "Hang out on your tree!". Isolation still gives them the first thing they want initially. You have to pick them up and pay attention to them and wrestle them somewhere, even if the end result is bad. I read that the best thing is to ignore them isolate yourself. When my cat scratched me too hard one day, I yelped, hissed at him loud as heck, and went to the bathroom and immediately hung out in there, took a shower and such with him closed out. It was 100% what he didn't want, which is me ignoring him. He's never quite done that again, it got the message across.

Oh, with the litter. How big is your box? it might be too small.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I recommend clipping and capping his claws. It's a good idea even if he wasn't pouncing and biting all the time. Getting him used to you touching his paws will be great later on in life. It takes a couple of minutes and is easiest with two people. Softpaws are what I use and a nail clipper designed for cats. You just nip off the very tip of the nail (so it's no longer like a fishing hook sharp) and then slide the caps on.

Fair warning though, it doesn't mean you should play with him using your hands or feet as cats will learn where their weapons are, and you'll end out with increased biting if you force it. Kittens also teethe and as long as you train him not to attack appendages, you'll be fine eventually.

...there's nothing you can do about him attacking feet under a blanket while you sleep. I do not know why, cat's are just jerks in some ways.

Edit: The only time isolation has been useful for me was when the cats play a little too rough or when one was first introduced to the other after I got him from a shelter. Give them space to claim as their own and let them chill out. It's not really a worthwhile punishment or threat. One of my cats actually goes into the carrier if I put it down because he likes it.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Got a kitty! He is adorable and very friendly some of the time. Most of the time he is a colossal prick. Is there any way to fix him so he stops being a colossal prick? DRX is calling him a "reclamation project" but he is too cute and friendly to throw in the trash. Lookit this guy;

QVpLt4Hl.jpg

So he is very cuddly and loves being around people all the time, will curl up on people and go to sleep, seems happy most of the time. Hooray. Put that in the + column. Here are the minuses;
    - he will bite people unprovoked. No going near his belly, no other warning signs like flattened ears or wagging tail, just out of nowhere, chomp. Once he's decided to bite, he won't stop, will dig claws in and just go to town on you. He keeps purring while doing it, so it seems like it's playful. He'll also attack feet when you're walking down stairs, and I have nearly tripped over him doing this several times. This is probably the worst behavior, and the one I wanna fix the most. Unfortunately it happens pretty frequently.

- goes inside couch and shreds it from within. Only way to get him out is to shake treats. Have sprayed some of that anti-cat juice in there, and bought him a new scratching post. This is tentatively solved, as he hasn't gone in there today...

- chews on power cables, plastic like DRX's precious gunpla and lego.

- tries to eat our food, drink from anything we have laying around. We end up having to lock him in the bathroom while we're eating.

- won't bury his poop in the litter box. This is pretty minor and doesn't really bother us, but maybe it's related.
    Think that's it. It's like a comprehensive list of all possible cat problems, and he has all of em!

So the current discipline he's been getting is time outs. Any time he bites or does any of the above, he gets picked up and put in the bathroom, locked in for about 20 minutes. This seems to have no effect, as he doesn't seem all that bothered by it. Spray bottle of water also has no effect, neither does shouting at him or clapping. DRX has got angry and picked him up by the scruff a few times, and even that doesn't seem to disable him or have any real effect...

And this isn't like one off bad behaviour per day, he seems to go from one thing to another constantly, and we end up yelling at him or locking him in time out multiple times per hour.

Any advice? :<

how old is he? because most kittens are kind of dicks until they grow up and shed some kitten energy

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    I recommend clipping and capping his claws. It's a good idea even if he wasn't pouncing and biting all the time. Getting him used to you touching his paws will be great later on in life. It takes a couple of minutes and is easiest with two people. Softpaws are what I use and a nail clipper designed for cats. You just nip off the very tip of the nail (so it's no longer like a fishing hook sharp) and then slide the caps on.

Fair warning though, it doesn't mean you should play with him using your hands or feet as cats will learn where their weapons are, and you'll end out with increased biting if you force it. Kittens also teethe and as long as you train him not to attack appendages, you'll be fine eventually.

...there's nothing you can do about him attacking feet under a blanket while you sleep. I do not know why, cat's are just jerks in some ways.

Edit: The only time isolation has been useful for me was when the cats play a little too rough or when one was first introduced to the other after I got him from a shelter. Give them space to claim as their own and let them chill out. It's not really a worthwhile punishment or threat. One of my cats actually goes into the carrier if I put it down because he likes it.

Feet monsters are ancient enemies of cats. It all stems back to the history of small dogs being used as bed warmers. Cats, which were rarely able to strike their more popular dog enemies, had to wait for night time to strike their returning salvos. While the ancient Dog Cat wars of old have become the more muted Cold(snout) Wars of today, cats continuously practice their night assault drills of blanket strikes, batting grenades off of cliffs onto dogs heads (via batting anything off of anything), and their surprise, final anti-captivity belly rubs to death by claws attack for when the inevitable time for Dog Cat war 2 comes once again.

• Options
    BasarBasar IstanbulRegistered User regular
    About clipping nails, it's best to get them used to it at a young age. Our female cat never lets us touch her paws because we never tried clipping them until she was a year old. The male one however just sits quietly and lets us because he got used to it at 2 months old.

Your cat is adorable by the way :)

i live in a country with a batshit crazy president and no, english is not my first language

• Options
    Basar wrote: »
    About clipping nails, it's best to get them used to it at a young age. Our female cat never lets us touch her paws because we never tried clipping them until she was a year old. The male one however just sits quietly and lets us because he got used to it at 2 months old.

Your cat is adorable by the way :)

This. Also teeth brushing (whaaaaaat brush my cats teeth you crazy?) No. I am not crazy. Only as a kitten or young cat can you get them set on this and brushing their teeth every so often (usually once a week) is a really good way to prevent a lot of health problems, from urinary track to gum infections, that plague cats as they get older. You'll still want a professional cleaning during your annual checkup, but its a good way to ensure there isn't serious problems going on.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Is it ok to seek advice in someone else's thread? Because I have 4 cats, and one of them is a fucking asshole. She's only an asshole when she's hungry, and by asshole I mean she meows super loud like she hasn't eaten in a thousand years and headbutts my bedroom door at 4 in the morning. So far all I can do is chase her away, but that only works for a few minutes and then there's only so many times I can get out of bed before I'm just "up now".

The cats get fed dry food twice a day. Once in the morning and once in the evening. We can't just leave food bowls out because one of them is too fat, and has to eat special diet food so she can clean her own butthole. If we leave food out, she just eats it instead of her own food. Anyway, what I'm looking for is some way to get her to chill the fuck out and not come up to my room at 4 in the morning and bang on the door like she's the police. Drowning her in the toilet was my first idea this morning, but that's not a very good idea I don't think... I don't want to put a baby gate to block the stairs because that would look tacky, and she would just jump over it. A shock collar thing would be fun for like... one time, but then I would feel bad for hurting her. I used to have a taboo buzzer thing that emitted a high-pitched noise that would shut her up for a while, but she's used to it now. I could hold the button down all day and she would just stare at me.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Is it ok to seek advice in someone else's thread? Because I have 4 cats, and one of them is a fucking asshole. She's only an asshole when she's hungry, and by asshole I mean she meows super loud like she hasn't eaten in a thousand years and headbutts my bedroom door at 4 in the morning. So far all I can do is chase her away, but that only works for a few minutes and then there's only so many times I can get out of bed before I'm just "up now".

The cats get fed dry food twice a day. Once in the morning and once in the evening. We can't just leave food bowls out because one of them is too fat, and has to eat special diet food so she can clean her own butthole. If we leave food out, she just eats it instead of her own food. Anyway, what I'm looking for is some way to get her to chill the fuck out and not come up to my room at 4 in the morning and bang on the door like she's the police. Drowning her in the toilet was my first idea this morning, but that's not a very good idea I don't think... I don't want to put a baby gate to block the stairs because that would look tacky, and she would just jump over it. A shock collar thing would be fun for like... one time, but then I would feel bad for hurting her. I used to have a taboo buzzer thing that emitted a high-pitched noise that would shut her up for a while, but she's used to it now. I could hold the button down all day and she would just stare at me.

Can you put the fatty in a different room at night? I doubt any cat would accept that but had to ask. A friend of mine separates her cats' food by putting them in different rooms and heights. Fat cats cant jump.

i live in a country with a batshit crazy president and no, english is not my first language

• Options
    edited May 2016
    When they eat, fatty gets shut in a room with her special food. She's done well with the diet food, and has lost weight. Enough that I don't have to clean poo off her butt anymore. But that also means she can jump up to the counter now, so I can't leave the food out for the other cats.

Edit: The fat one isn't the asshole cat. She's fine to eat whenever. It's a different slim cat who's like "FUCKING FEED ME NOW GODDAMMIT!"

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    When they eat, fatty gets shut in a room with her special food. She's done well with the diet food, and has lost weight. Enough that I don't have to clean poo off her butt anymore. But that also means she can jump up to the counter now, so I can't leave the food out for the other cats.

Edit: The fat one isn't the asshole cat. She's fine to eat whenever. It's a different slim cat who's like "FUCKING FEED ME NOW GODDAMMIT!"

Same as with anything, consistency. Every time she wakes you up meowing go over and spray her with a squirt bottle, then go back to sleep (even if you were getting up at that bit, go back to bed for a few minutes to make the point). Be consistent, and eventually cat will understand that howling doesn't lead to food.

That said, some cats are just very vocal. They learn that from humans, and they learn that meowing gets attention so they do it a bunch to express a wide range of emotions. My maine coon will howl to no end if my Wife and I aren't in the same room. No real clue why (could be a 'herding' mentality that Maine coons can have from bred behaviors, or it could be an abandonment thing. Maybe he just likes to play marriage counselor!), but if he doesn't see us together in the same room he gets really upset. We don't punish that behavior since it seems to be rooted in concern rather than frustration.

He also used to meow at 5 am to wake me up for food. I trained him over time to not howl, but instead to pop my nose as I slept to wake me up but not my wife. I normally wake up at that time so it's cool. When he started poping me (after getting squirted for a few weeks when hollering), I decided to reward that behavior by immediately getting up and feeding him. Now he is my alarm clock, at 5 am each day (+1 or - 15 minutes) i get a "boop" on the head a few times and its time to wake up and feed the cats/go running/make coffee.

Enc on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    I got very good at hissing to show my displeasure when Adam West bites me. That and squirting him with a water bottle (without him seeing me doing it) when he's messing with something he shouldn't (couches, wires, my feet, etc) have worked well.

As others have said, part of it is just an age thing. Give him plenty of toys and scratching posts/forts to play in, encourage him to use them. Really helps.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Wow, Adam West seems like he'd be such a nice person to hang out with. Disappointing to hear he misbehaves and bites people.

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Wow, Adam West seems like he'd be such a nice person to hang out with. Disappointing to hear he misbehaves and bites people.

I honestly feel that when I named him Adam West, I invoked some unknown magic that infused his soul with the personality of the Family Guy incarnation of the man.

That said, he's my little buddy.
    nd5pocc67rdn.jpg

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    edited May 2016

Tie a dishtowel or something to the doorknob on the outside when you go to bed. When she cries outside your door, do not respond. Wear earplugs if you have to. Even if you can't sleep, do not open the door. When it's time to get up, go take the towel off the doorknob, close the door, and wait. The next time she cries, go feed her. Do this consistently, and she'll eventually figure out that you only respond to crying if the dishtowel is not on the door.

(This example is from Don't Shoot the Dog by Karen Pryor. It worked with a small barking dog - the only hitch was that the dog eventually figured out how to tug the towel off the doorknob, so make sure it's firmly tied on :) )

edit: Also, the behavior may get worse just before it gets better, so stick with it!

Calica on
  • Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    I'll agree with the citrus spray for cords and the hissing. It worked for mine. For the litter stuff, my cat HATES having a covered litter box. Try getting a second different style litter box. Mine decided it wouldn't use the box with a cover, so it pissed behind my sofa for two weeks before I figured it out.

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »

That said, some cats are just very vocal. They learn that from humans, and they learn that meowing gets attention so they do it a bunch to express a wide range of emotions. My maine coon will howl to no end if my Wife and I aren't in the same room. No real clue why (could be a 'herding' mentality that Maine coons can have from bred behaviors, or it could be an abandonment thing. Maybe he just likes to play marriage counselor!), but if he doesn't see us together in the same room he gets really upset. We don't punish that behavior since it seems to be rooted in concern rather than frustration.

Wander does the same thing; in the morning, if she's shut out of my room, she'll meow and meow and meow, and if I go feed her and then take a shower, she gets super upset, but the most upset is when I've gotten up to feed her, gone into the shower, and my roommate is still in her room. The cat will freak. Out.

And if we're in separate rooms (I'm in the living room, she's in her bedroom) the cat will pick a spot equidistant so that she has line of site on us both.

It's startling, annoying, and adorable.

My roommate is housesitting for her dad this weekend and Wander spent the entire night in my room without having to be kicked out (she will knock a lamp over onto my head if she wants me to wake up) which was an odd change. I think it might be because the roommate door was open, even if she wasn't there.

And a lot of the time the cat is in my room, she won't sleep on my bed. She'll rotate my computer chair so it's facing my bed and then sleep on that.

And a lot of the time when we're playing fetch, she'll chase the toy, bring it into my room, (????) and bring it out like four minutes later. Maybe I just have more floor space in there for her to bat it around, I dunno.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options

And a lot of the time the cat is in my room, she won't sleep on my bed. She'll rotate my computer chair so it's facing my bed and then sleep on that.

So typical :biggrin:

This is what I wake up to every morning:

wmey1atosxuz.jpg

• Options
    Man, my cats dont do anything that cute. One of them is always leaving her stuffed mouse toy "drowned" in the water bowl, and another one wont drink directly from the water bowl. She dunks her paw in the water, and then licks it off from there. That's kinda cute I guess...

• Options
    Man, my cats dont do anything that cute. One of them is always leaving her stuffed mouse toy "drowned" in the water bowl, and another one wont drink directly from the water bowl. She dunks her paw in the water, and then licks it off from there. That's kinda cute I guess...

Certain cat breeds do the paw drinking due to breeding. Most water-breed cats (ones bred for mousing around docks and on ships) will do the paw drinking while most others will use their tounge as a spoon.

Then you have special needs cats, like my little guy, who has so little coordination that he just sticks his face in the bowl and just chomps it life food.

• Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    Hissing worked nicely on my cat too. He was also terrified of umbrellas for some bizarre reason, so when I was teaching him not to bite (he'd usually do it when I was in bed or sitting on the couch) I'd hiss and open an umbrella at him and he'd immediately flee. Eventually I just had to reach for the umbrella to scare him off, until one blessed day I realized the biting behavior had entirely ended. So as ridiculous as a grown man hissing and waving an umbrella sounds, it worked, although our battle of wills took weeks. I imagine the umbrella suddenly growing in size was a really threatening gesture, similar to how cats themselves arch their backs and raise their hair when they try to look intimidating.

That said, all cats have their own personalities and quirks, so some trial and error will probably be needed. Just be careful that you're not accidentally rewarding him with your punishments (e.g. with attention, or something that he views as a fun game), or else he'll become even more of an asshole.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    The thing with umbrellas... anything that starts out small and quickly gets big will freak out a cat. It's the reason they get all puffy when trying to show dominance.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    MaggieTheCatMaggieTheCat Registered User regular

Do you live in my house?? This sounds like our cats, except one of ours leaves his octopus toy in the water dish (I guess he's trying to return it to its natural environment??) and our oldest cat does the paw dunking thing, to the point that sometimes he refuses to drink water out of anything except a tall cup so he can dunk his paw in it. He will sit next to a water bowl that is full of totally clean and fresh water and cry and cry and cry until we fill a cup up for him to drink out of.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    I fixed the paw dunking with a fountain water dish. The stainless steel Drinkwell 360. They're willing to drink from the stream or the edges of it instead of dunk dirty ass paws in it.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    My mild dyslexia makes me always laugh at this thread.
    Because I see "Help jerking fixed cat" every time

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    maybe that would mellow him out

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    The way I stopped my formerly-feral cat from going after feet was through changing them from "prey" to "other predator." I did this by, when she would attack feet, rather than dancing around in a way that would only encourage her, I would stomp my feet down and move them in quick rushing steps towards her. I wasn't attacking, but rather displaying behavior that indicated the feet WOULD attack if she persisted in angering them.

For the rest of her life that stomp was all I needed to get her to stop doing whatever because uh-oh the feet are angry.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Don't worry about the litter tray burying too much, three out of our four cats don't bury theirs either.

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    bep
    maybe that would mellow him out

oh~ Almost certainly actually, and having a tomcat later on can be a bit of a pain in the ass, especially when he gets old enough to start spraying

We picked up a feral kitty and he was a horrible violent tornado of claws and broken crockery at about 6mos - some carefully consistent reinforcement of positive behaviour and getting him fixed turned out to be the solution

Now he's a cuddlebug most of the time (he's almost 3 I think) and the rest of the time, well, he mostly exercises his mischievous qualities by bullying the St Bernard

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Addendum to jerk cat topic! He continues to be jerk cat and I hate him, so now he gets to be jerk cat outside. Got him a breakaway collar and surprise! Comes off in seconds. So. Any recommendations for a non breakaway type collar for this cat?

Oh brilliant