As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TV]Thread: Life Advice: Listen to AJ. He is the Light

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/limitless-being-shopping-894546

CBS confirming Limitless is being shopped, and has no buyers yet.

Probably done. :/

Sounds like it was pretty limited after all.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

Sounds like it was pretty limited after all.

8-)
    YEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHH

• Options
    gBAZgBAZ Registered User regular
    Limitless had more downs then ups for me.
    They focused on the wrong things.

I think it would of been 10x better if it focused on the criminals perspective while on ntz.
    More gritty, darker tone would be possible with the above.

Did anyone actually like the main character?

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Dark and gritty is done everywhere. Fuck dark and gritty. It's old.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    nah

limitless is a dumb as hell premise, it should have embraced it and gone goofy more often

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Seriously, at this point I am absolutely convinced that shows are at their best when they take their concept and run with it with 100% confidence and breakneck storytelling pace (this doesn't necessarily mean energetic, it just means something major on either the character or plot front needs to be happening every episode).

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited May 2016

CBS: we have big bang theory. We can coast for years

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    nah

limitless is a dumb as hell premise, it should have embraced it and gone goofy more often

I don't really see how they could have done more Goofy. This is the show that had both a Ferris Bueller themed episode and multiple comic book themed episodes.

Edit: And any kind of hacking montage was covered up with cat videos.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Survivor finale!
    Michele's win has been obvious most of the season if you analyzed the edit and just believed what it was telling you.

Unfortunately, CBS didn't consider that the average fan, and in fact like 99% of them don't analyze the edit that deeply, and IMO they didn't do a good enough job justifying Michele's win. They clearly gave Aubry the story of the deserving scrappy winner.

I mean, it's not their fault Michele didn't go to tribal council for like 22 days, but even post merge they didn't give her enough focus on the social relationships she was building. They'd shoehorn in some confessionals for her(part of the reason her win was obvious) but they edited Aubry as the one who deserves a win.

Seeing how salty a lot of the Survivor subreddit is, I can tell this is going to be a polarizing winner.

I personally loved all of the final 4 women, and I thought Michele winning 2 of the last 3 challenges was a great capstone to a great UTR season, and I'm very happy with the result.

It's looking like Aubry has a solid chance to be coming back for the all returnee season 34, so those of us who really liked her will probably get to see her again next year.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I recently had to be in the same house as a Big Bang Theory marathon for a weekend

and oh jeez

that show is freakin' vile

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I thought he was a great main character. Tons of charisma, and a really well done lovable doofus.

I also thought it balanced the serious and the lighthearted pretty well. Enough levity that the serious moments carried weight while still remaining fun - reminded me of early Castle. The only episode that the lightheartedness didn't land for me was the serial killer "loving" one.

It also amused me that for a "sillier" show, they probably had a more accurate depiction of the FBI than the hand train wreck of competency that says Quantico or the "we work on the Starship Enterprise" office of Blindspot.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    I recently had to be in the same house as a Big Bang Theory marathon for a weekend

and oh jeez

to paraphrase someone else, "I now know why jocks pick on nerds. As a nerd I want to punch these people in the face."

sig.gif
  • Options
    Sorce wrote: »
    Veldrin wrote: »

and oh jeez

to paraphrase someone else, "I now know why jocks pick on nerds. As a nerd I want to punch these people in the face."

Those aren't nerds any more than the cast of FRIENDS was a group of "regular 20-somethings". They're cheap sitcom characters, aka awful cardboard cutouts of human beings given incredibly simplistic character traits that can be endlessly mined for lazy jokes.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    real nerds are much more irritating than the nerds on the big bang theory

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I think the Big Bang Theory is generally better than its reputation but that's partially a product of how shitty its reputation is and I still don't really have a lot of affection for the show anyways so I don't really know how I keep getting in situations where I defend it

• Options
    I think the Big Bang Theory is generally better than its reputation but that's partially a product of how shitty its reputation is and I still don't really have a lot of affection for the show anyways so I don't really know how I keep getting in situations where I defend it

People hate on that show far harder than it deserves, not because it's good, but because it's so meaningless that it's not important enough to deserve hatred. The people making that show barely give a shit--anyone getting overly worked up over how "offensive" it is really needs to find some perspective.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    So episode 4 of Person of Interest Season 4 is, we all i can say is... damn.

Speaking of... CBS, the "keeps giving me reasons to not watch it" channel.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    I used to get really, really upset about that show but it was mostly because I had to deal with family members talking about how much I would love it. Then I watched part of the first season and I was like...really, y'all think that little of me?

I also used to get really pissed off in particular at their gaming jokes because it felt like they were being written by people who have never picked up a controller in their life. I got over it because really who cares.

The later seasons it's much more a standard sitcom though with relationship woes and the like taking center stage and nerd stuff put more in the background. I'll even occasionally leave it there because it's just such a part of pop culture that you hear about it sometimes and it helps to know what the fuck people are talking about.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    It doesn't actually have jokes
    It just like, mentions a nerd thing and people laugh

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    It doesn't actually have jokes
    It just like, mentions a nerd thing and people laugh

Oh GG you're like a negatively chagred pessimotope in syluric acid

• Options
    the big bang theory is a safe sitcom with lame jokes

it's basically what if family matters was a house full of urkels with a pesky laura as a neighbor

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I dunno hey

The show is pretty unrelentingly sexist, racist and overall discriminatory without any wit, irony, or social commentary to complement it.

• Options

it's basically what if family matters was a house full of urkels with a pesky laura as a neighbor

You know if Family Matters had gotten just one more season, that's probably what it'd have been.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

You know if Family Matters had gotten just one more season, that's probably what it'd have been.

https://youtu.be/A5Zdp1RfoyI

• Options
    webberwebber Registered User regular
    Is anyone released watching The Path. It's kind of creepy but I've only seen first two episodes.

The AV club seemed to like it.

This lucky penny is bullshit.
    Hearthstone - Webber #1330
    3DS: 0920-3235-4071
  • Options
    BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    webber wrote: »
    Is anyone released watching The Path. It's kind of creepy but I've only seen first two episodes.

Hi yes.
    I am digging it a lot! It makes me wonder if my ideal career doesn't work out, how hard it would be to start my own cult.

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Options
    webberwebber Registered User regular
    BillyIdle wrote: »
    webber wrote: »

Hi yes.
    I am digging it a lot! It makes me wonder if my ideal career doesn't work out, how hard it would be to start my own cult.

Ep 2:
    That 14 day solitary thing was bananas.
    I love the "this is definitely not an E-meter" device.

This lucky penny is bullshit.
    Hearthstone - Webber #1330
    3DS: 0920-3235-4071
  • Options
    BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    How else are you supposed to measure your internal energy to make sure you are aligned?

Just wait and see how wild things get regarding their laws and punishments, it's pretty well fleshed out!

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    The extent of my Big Bang Theory knowledge is that I was flipping through channels and saw James Earl Jones on TV, so I watched it.

James Earl Jones was very funny, but I couldn't tell you anything that happened in that episode when he wasn't on screen (or standing just off screen, in the case of the Carrie Fisher gag).

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXpPweAooeE

Just a logo.

But it has the classical orchestral sting.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Survivor finale!
    Michele's win has been obvious most of the season if you analyzed the edit and just believed what it was telling you.

Unfortunately, CBS didn't consider that the average fan, and in fact like 99% of them don't analyze the edit that deeply, and IMO they didn't do a good enough job justifying Michele's win. They clearly gave Aubry the story of the deserving scrappy winner.

I mean, it's not their fault Michele didn't go to tribal council for like 22 days, but even post merge they didn't give her enough focus on the social relationships she was building. They'd shoehorn in some confessionals for her(part of the reason her win was obvious) but they edited Aubry as the one who deserves a win.

Seeing how salty a lot of the Survivor subreddit is, I can tell this is going to be a polarizing winner.

I personally loved all of the final 4 women, and I thought Michele winning 2 of the last 3 challenges was a great capstone to a great UTR season, and I'm very happy with the result.

It's looking like Aubry has a solid chance to be coming back for the all returnee season 34, so those of us who really liked her will probably get to see her again next year.
    Personally, I don't think Michele should have won over Aubrey, but we're at the mercy of the edit and don't see things the way the players do. Ultimately, she is a completely forgettable player, overshadowed by just about everyone in the game. I think that's more the issue I had with her winning, it was a great season with really wonderful, memorable personalities and I just never had reason to root for her. It's like those seasons of American Idol where you can name half the top ten but not the actual winner (Note: I watch too much reality TV).

I know I've said this before, but I'd really love to see Tai on the Amazing Race, a show where backstabbing isn't as much of a daily event. I think his view of life and people would be fascinating to see travel the world. Looking back on seasons where younger competitors have gone through areas of poverty and complain of the smell or the crowding, a vantage point like his would be very refreshing.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Preacher is getting some really good pre release buzz, with most reviews calling the episodes screened so far super fun and inventive and very gore and action filled.

I am not a big Preacher guy but This is the End is one of my favorite comedies and it has a great cast so I am definitely gonna give it a shot now

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Even around work I haven't heard anything about Lady Dynamite, but it looks like it's getting some great early reviews.

Meanwhile I'm still over here watching Parks and Rec from the beginning for the 100th time.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    I've got Parks and Rec, 30 Rock and Bob's Burgers basically running in a loop as background noise at all times when I'm not actively watching a new show

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Aphostile wrote: »
    Even around work I haven't heard anything about Lady Dynamite, but it looks like it's getting some great early reviews.

Meanwhile I'm still over here watching Parks and Rec from the beginning for the 100th time.

Lady Dynamite looks/sounds really excellent, yeah. I'm jazzed for that one.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I'm hearing Lady Dynamite is like 30 Rock

And I could use a new one of those that's isn't by kind of an asshole

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

Just a logo.

I heard that the reason why CBS dumped Supergirl was it was costing 3m a episode
    But then I also heard the Star Trek show was costing in excess 3m and they torn down the set and rebuilt it several times

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »

Just a logo.

I heard that the reason why CBS dumped Supergirl was it was costing 3m a episode
    But then I also heard the Star Trek show was costing in excess 3m and they torn down the set and rebuilt it several times
    I'm pretty sure they haven't even cast Star Trek yet, or if they have they haven't announced anyone, so I am skeptical that any hard figures like that have gotten released

And CBS didn't dump Supergirl, they were considering renewing it but the CW offer worked out better for everyone

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »

Just a logo.

I'm pretty sure they haven't even cast Star Trek yet, or if they have they haven't announced anyone, so I am skeptical that any hard figures like that have gotten released

And CBS didn't dump Supergirl, they were considering renewing it but the CW offer worked out better for everyone

Yeah they've not started shooting Star Trek yet and won't be until the summer iirc so I can't imagine much truth to most rumours about budget overruns and so on.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    They literally haven't even written the show yet

6F32U1X.png
This discussion has been closed.