So my wife and I have agreed we need to leave the hellscape that is central Florida, through my job I have the ability to work virtually anywhere in the world remotely, and have the financial means to (willingly) deal with all but the most extreme markets (NYC, downtown Chicago, SF, etc)
So this is our chance to pretty much pick where we want to settle down and start a family. This is a thing that's happening, barring some sort of tragedy. Already notified my employer and they signed off.
Our plan is to, over the next 6 months, do weekend trips to the top candidate locations and scope the areas out and then moveMaking this thread to collect local knowledge about places we might want to consider within cities that are mostly unknown to us, so we can have a nice weekend out of it and see what we gotta see
Our basic criteria are pretty much (in order of importance):
- No extreme summers (regular, extended periods of 90F+ heat)
- Some sort of an accessible city center/cultural center
- Good, reasonably priced single-family housing within 20 minutes of those centers (ballpark $150-200 per square foot)
- Some hint of an information economy (I work in software)
- An above average school system (my wife is a teacher, and also future babies)
- West of the Mississippi
- not filled exclusively with old people
Right now the places we have targeted are:
- Seattle, Washington
- Portland, Oregon
- Chicago, IL (northern reaches of the city)
- Outer rims of SF Bay area
- Maybe Canada who knows??
If you live in a place that you feel qualifies but isn't listed, chime in.