Options

moby [chat]

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »
    There's a show on TNT called Animal Kingdom and I don't have the sound on but it looks kind of like Point Break but much more sinister and I don't think anyone's a fed.

Is that the Australian film?

Nope, apparently it's an American remake and it's a TV show not a film.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    Looks like Battleborn is $36 on Steam for a few days.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/394230

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    dril has like a 10% hit rate for me

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Elki wrote: »

i don't even know what battleborn is, but are all these deals because they are panicking about it vs. overwatch

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    How fkin real is Budget Cuts tho.

It's very impressive; I like how they addressed the problem of intuitive UI in VR.

I'm still a bit concerned that VR seems to only be compatible with a narrow band of play experiences, though. For example, the bullet hell SHMUP was very interesting, but clearly kind of limited outside of the VR novelty. It's tech that mostly works best (or so it's been demonstrated thus far) for immersive first-person experiences... which is great, but maybe not so great for such a relatively expensive kit that is probably not easy to design games for in the first place. :|

The first few years of 3D games were super rough too. How long did it take companies to make a functioning camera or create 3D levels that actually used three dimensions in a meaningful way? This is a tech that's going to take some ground up reworking of what makes a compelling game. The work that's been done already is pretty amazing. If it catches on, I think things will start advancing quickly. Teleportation mechanics are only a solution for one class of game, but you can imagine others. Seated experiences like driving and flying are already pretty much done. Third person stuff works fine in a kind of virtual augmented reality way. I could totally see playing a game where you look down at a table and like, buildings and little dudes are down there, and you just manage them, lemmings style. The bullet hell shmup was basically just a demo. A real game in that mold would be something I'd genuinely play a lot. Imagine a campaign ala starfox 64. It would totally work.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Finished Far Harbor - the whole thing felt like a mea culpa for FO4, and had a weird denouement, but I really really liked it and would recommend it. Had a lot of flavor that was missing from base FO4, a lot of set pieces and plot/story/choice stuff that was great

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016

It's very impressive; I like how they addressed the problem of intuitive UI in VR.

I'm still a bit concerned that VR seems to only be compatible with a narrow band of play experiences, though. For example, the bullet hell SHMUP was very interesting, but clearly kind of limited outside of the VR novelty. It's tech that mostly works best (or so it's been demonstrated thus far) for immersive first-person experiences... which is great, but maybe not so great for such a relatively expensive kit that is probably not easy to design games for in the first place. :|

The first few years of 3D games were super rough too. How long did it take companies to make a functioning camera or create 3D levels that actually used three dimensions in a meaningful way? This is a tech that's going to take some ground up reworking of what makes a compelling game. The work that's been done already is pretty amazing. If it catches on, I think things will start advancing quickly. Teleportation mechanics are only a solution for one class of game, but you can imagine others. Seated experiences like driving and flying are already pretty much done. Third person stuff works fine in a kind of virtual augmented reality way. I could totally see playing a game where you look down at a table and like, buildings and little dudes are down there, and you just manage them, lemmings style. The bullet hell shmup was basically just a demo. A real game in that mold would be something I'd genuinely play a lot. Imagine a campaign ala starfox 64. It would totally work.

I'm going to create a game of virtual chess u can play with friends. just sit and use a virtual chessboard instead of real.

oh shit what if i made wizarding chess like the first harry potty book, nerds would eat that shit up and id make millions

program this for me dk

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    non-americans

is x-men good/worth seeing

No. Sort of - the Quicksilver scene is good.

It is really, really underdeveloped.

Like, Psylocke has 3 lines and just stands around posing for most of it. The wire work is really bad for a high budget production. I don't often like movies but I don't think I am alone in this.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »

i don't even know what battleborn is, but are all these deals because they are panicking about it vs. overwatch

yup.

even before Overwatch launched it fizzled hard. 2k/gearbox said that "it was selling like the first Borderlands" which is super misleading cause Borderlands was a slow burn on sales overtime.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    DK any idea why there is so much lag between your cam and the game feed?

The capture box that pulls the video from the PC over to my laptop, which was running the stream, introduces a second or so of lag. I think open broadcaster could have corrected for it by delaying the camera feed, I just need to fiddle with settings.

• Options
    the treadmill setups look really cool (tho obvs a bigger investment, space, etc- i doubt it'll catch on as a mainstream component of a VR setup). it is hard to get used to the idea of a primary element of a game- position- being controlled iteratively, through jumps and portals and stuff. maybe it is less jarring in VR (haven't tried any VR devices yet).

seems like it would be fkn rad to just walk tho.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    dril is my favourite chatter

• Options
    apo, if you fuck me on this xmen business..

• Options
    the treadmill setups look really cool (tho obvs a bigger investment, space, etc- i doubt it'll catch on as a mainstream component of a VR setup). it is hard to get used to the idea of a primary element of a game- position- being controlled iteratively, through jumps and portals and stuff. maybe it is less jarring in VR (haven't tried any VR devices yet).

You can freely walk in the 2x3 meter space you've set up, and it feels amazing, but yeah, beyond that you need some sort of way to move and teleportation seems to be emerging as the solution. It's honestly less jarring in VR than it looks in video because before you teleport, a little view window comes up, in stereo, and just gets bigger until it fills your fov entirely, then you're just somewhere else. It's actually LESS jarring than using a controller or whatever to walk, which is, like I said before, an instant ticket to vomit town.

• Options
    I didn't care for FO4 after the wonderful intro where I was running around and exploring the new world. If this Harbor thing is different I'll give it a shot.

I don't feel like paying $50 for a season pass, though. Seems a bit pricey.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    There's a show on TNT called Animal Kingdom and I don't have the sound on but it looks kind of like Point Break but much more sinister and I don't think anyone's a fed.

Gross

Accept no substitutes, go with the original

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    VR setups with treadmills etc are entirely possible as a mainstream item, i think--if the medium fulfills its promise it will be too good not to lay out the cash if you have it

mainstream as in people who can afford e.g. entertainment centres now...

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular

Gross

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WP8I0T9xnk

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options

celery absolutely loves it and is trying to get me to jump in. I'm holding out for the price to drop to $5.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    I didn't care for FO4 after the wonderful intro where I was running around and exploring the new world. If this Harbor thing is different I'll give it a shot.

I don't feel like paying $50 for a season pass, though. Seems a bit pricey.

It feels like a much more streamlined vision of what FO4's main story could've been: here are 3 understandable and interesting factions, here are a number of ways to interact and side with them in different configurations, here are some twists and developments, here is how Nick Valentine Number One Husbando hooks into the story

The new landmass itself is pretty beautiful and interesting - new exotic monsters, although of course feral ghouls and raiders ("""trappers""") appear en masse

Eddy on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

Have you played Hover Junkers yet, DK?

It's a really compelling way to do a shooter with room-scale VR, I felt.

Actually dropping to a knee, crawling between cover, lining up shots from between narrow openings, etc, feels really fun.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    non-americans

lol fucking ice cold

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular

Gross

I tried that with The Office and it was awful though

So so awful

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Did I miss a vr stream?

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options

You can freely walk in the 2x3 meter space you've set up, and it feels amazing, but yeah, beyond that you need some sort of way to move and teleportation seems to be emerging as the solution. It's honestly less jarring in VR than it looks in video because before you teleport, a little view window comes up, in stereo, and just gets bigger until it fills your fov entirely, then you're just somewhere else. It's actually LESS jarring than using a controller or whatever to walk, which is, like I said before, an instant ticket to vomit town.

I think I've been surprised by how intuitive warping is for me. I could play Minecraft for quite a while without it feeling all that strange that my movement is mostly in discrete jumps.

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »
    non-americans

lol fucking ice cold

what! it was released earlier outside hte states, right? i just figured americans wouldn't know if it was good since it's only coming out tonight

• Options
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016

Gross

I tried that with The Office and it was awful though

So so awful

There's a good tweet I read about that the other day, but it mostly stemmed from British comedy and American comedy being different and therefore adaptation requiring substantial change

regardless: Animal Kingdom is an Oscar-nominated crime drama, it is up there with The Proposition in my list of Good Australian Films

watch it you sonuva

simonwolf on
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_DSOnOQnuk

@So It Goes @OnTheLastCastle @Variable @DemonStacey bah gawd

you can even see tobolowsky shaking with laughter in some shots

God damn it's the best show sigh

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    can i play overwatch in vr.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular

And soon $5 it's awful and has lol 2k players @elki

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    non-americans

lol fucking ice cold

what! it was released earlier outside hte states, right? i just figured americans wouldn't know if it was good since it's only coming out tonight

no I meant to quote your burn on dril

fucking dril

shoot

• Options
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    that's perfect, damn

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    The American office is fucking delightful and you just wanted it to be shitty cause it was remaking a British show if you hate it.

The first season was not the best but it was six episodes. It was a pilot season.

• Options
    @Elendil Don't ever talk to me or my vim-son ever again:

son2jXTl.jpg

The conversation we'll be having in 400 years:

4cw10Zyl.jpg

• Options
    Less tragic than Michael scott? Fuck. Fucking idiot garbage.

No raise for 15 years, no family, can't afford a family if he had one and he promised a bunch of kids he'd give them full scholarships because he wanted to pretend he had a family. A small snippet of his life.

Yeah, not sad at all.

Michael Scott is heartbreaking.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    The Office was too much bad soap opera

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    At the bar

Notable patrons include:

First non-white girl adult Fro made out with (about a year ago) with her scrublord rasta bf

Rebel war call hollering cowboy duchek

That is all

• Options
    Winky wrote: »

Hmm, yeah, this does look pretty great.

This discussion has been closed.