Options

[ARK: Survival Evolved] New Server at end of August

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    I just started playing about a week ago with some friends on a private server.

I think the overall idea of the game is fun, but I'm already getting sick of its bullshit. Every death feels cheap. The game doesn't kill you, the glitches and shit interface do. Fall into lava because that rock isn't actually something you can land on? Dead. Getting attacked in the water and want to drive your boat your safety? No, surely you'd rather deal with a dumbass "name your boat" dialogue box instead and die. Your dino runs after a fleeing dinosaur you're attacking and they both run off into the ocean. Your whistles to call them back are ignored and your dino that you spent a lot of time taming and training dies for no reason. Etc.

It's dumb shit like that, and at the end of the day, it just wastes time and any sense of progress.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    azhaisazhais Registered User regular
    You also have the metabolism of a diabetic hummingbird

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KorhedronKorhedron Registered User regular
    azhais wrote: »

This last one... Is this more marked now? I've been dipping my hand back into a private server here. But hunger and thirst do seem a lot worse now for the player.

Also; We've been constructing a few rafts, breaking the limit on modules on the thing to fit a tiny, wooden fortress base on it. Is there some critter we should avoid via rafts? Does any dino's naturally attack them? Could we suddenly lose our elaborate, floating fortresses?

These are the stories of Dwarf Fortress. Legends have been forged there, and meticulousy gathered in one mighty hub: http://dfstories.com/start-here/
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Korhedron wrote: »
    azhais wrote: »

This last one... Is this more marked now? I've been dipping my hand back into a private server here. But hunger and thirst do seem a lot worse now for the player.

Also; We've been constructing a few rafts, breaking the limit on modules on the thing to fit a tiny, wooden fortress base on it. Is there some critter we should avoid via rafts? Does any dino's naturally attack them? Could we suddenly lose our elaborate, floating fortresses?

Sarco

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    There are certain levels of cheese you can achieve on rafts to keep hostile dinos from being able to damage your raft. Most dinos can't damage stone and if I'm not mistaken no aquatic dinos can. You can extend the edge of the raft out using ceilings and place stone foundations immediately under those, destroying the ceilings once you're done. The foundations should clip through the raft bottom and keep dinos from being able to damage anything on the raft. There are videos in YouTube you can find on raft builds. It's cheesy but it works.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    The kapro might also attack the rafts? Basically, aggressive land animals attack rafts, and sarcos just happen to be aquatic dwelling aggressive land animals.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    I wouldn't doubt it. Might want to put a box up around the drivers seat to keep a Kapro from snatching the driver, too.

Transferring my dinos to single player today was kind of sad. I'm shutting the lights off on my server next week. So long, Ark. See you when I buy actual server hardware or release, whichever comes first. Won't preclude me from talking about it, though.

• Options
    azhaisazhais Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    The kapro might also attack the rafts? Basically, aggressive land animals attack rafts, and sarcos just happen to be aquatic dwelling aggressive land animals.

Given that kapros will leap out of the water and pull you off low flying birds, I'd say that rafts aren't safe from them either

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BeornKBeornK Registered User regular
    So the scorched server seems to have gotten wiped... Not really a big deal with the server files available, but thought I'd let you all know.

DS0mQJS.png
  • Options
    BeornK wrote: »
    So the scorched server seems to have gotten wiped... Not really a big deal with the server files available, but thought I'd let you all know.

Yeah it's something I need to sort out. But I am in the middle of a move this week so that's where most of my time is going atm.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    This Monster Hunter mod makes every dinosaur seem bad in comparison

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    BeornKBeornK Registered User regular
    Hey Mud no biggy. Hope the move goes well. Don't forget to keep a box of linens and towels handy and maybe keep the coffee maker and coffee mugs convenient too! :D

DS0mQJS.png
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    I've been playing on singleplayer and I keep getting a bug which corrupts my save.

Apparently this has been a problem with single player since 2015.

Three times now I've had to start over from scratch, and I don't think I have the desire to try it a fourth time.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    KhezKhez Registered User regular
    Hey,

Been a while but i was trying to join "TheCenter" server and i keep getting:
    "Failed to install Mod map."
    Any one else having this issue?

Thanks!

76561197967286566.png

Psn: Khezaf
    Wildstar: MeHealU
  • Options
    Alright, Thank You for your patience everyone. My move kind of absorbed all my free time over the last week or so. The storms and power outages yesterday didn't help.

Updates:
    Both servers should now be up to date.
    Scorched Earth is restored from backup (the same one downloadable earlier in the thread)
    Mods are all updated (S+ had a bunch of changes)
    I have installed the mod TekBench, which should allow use of Tek gear without farming frigging bosses.

Go Frigging Nuts. Punch a T-Rex right in the face.

• Options
    BTW the final day of the Scorched Earth Server is March 2nd, it looks like.

I would do any transferring you need to do by the 1st, just in case. Or download the server files from earlier in the thread.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    So I recently had some desire for some survival goodness and I haven't played ARK in awhile (haven't played the new map at all). What is the state of private servers? I know the PA one is shutting down. Are there any good private ones that the PAers are migrating to?

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »
    So I recently had some desire for some survival goodness and I haven't played ARK in awhile (haven't played the new map at all). What is the state of private servers? I know the PA one is shutting down. Are there any good private ones that the PAers are migrating to?
    I was running one up until last week that would have been open to anyone but I couldn't justify keeping it up anymore for the cost. I believe if you dig back a page or so someone posted that they're running a 6-server cluster or somesuch crazyness that sounded great.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Also, I don't have scorched earth, is that something I need to pick up?

• Options

Need, no.

But it's a lot of fun.

• Options

Need is a strong word, but it's gone on sale for 10 bucks before. If you have more disposable income than that, it's easily worth the 20 bucks normal price.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Now we get force fields.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Servers are updated and rebooting now.

Not sure how TekBench affects the new stuff, but at the very least gives you an easier* way to get Element. I'll keep an eye on it since it probably will update after this.

*still takes some work, but with current settings, not a lot of farming.

-edit-

Eventually someone is gonna make a mod that lets you just keep the forcefield on all the time, or for longer amounts of time per element. That will probably be the point I start up a single-player playthrough.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    ironzerg wrote: »
    If people are interested, my gaming community is running a server cluster, and we're always looking for good people to join us in ARK.

The servers have a lot of the convenience mods added, like Structures+, Steampunk, Capitalism/Glory Coins, Veggie Prime, ARK Advance, Super Spy Glass, Craftable Tribute Terminal, etc..and we're set to 2.5 taming/gather, 2x experience, and I think something like 10-15x baby rates (I don't do a lot of breeding, so I'm not 100% sure, but I can find out).

Right now we're running 5 core maps: The Center, The Island, The Volcano, Scorched Earth, and Mortem Tupiu.

It's basically set to be a fun server for casual adults who enjoy playing ARK, but don't have 16 hours a day to devote to it. All the maps right now are PvE. It's locked to any transfer in or out, but you can transfer anything to your heart's content within the cluster. We've been running ARK with some consistency for about 1.5 years now, and the cluster servers grew out of 2 of the 3 original ARK maps we were running.

All in all, we probably have about 3-4 dozen active players. The machines is run by one of our community members who's a hardcore computer enthusiast, and we have 4 administrators managing updates and mods. In the future, we're totally open adding servers or mods as people get bored to keep things interesting. And of course we'll support any official DLC. With the cluster set up, there's plenty of space for people to spread out, build big bases and enjoy their own slice of ARK as their own tribe, or you can join the main "mega" tribe (but still nearly every person runs their own private base, as well).

The only "hitch" is that the server is private, and only Unrepentant members and guests/friends are added to the whitelist. As you guys know, the wider world of ARK is widely populated by assmunching dicklords, and even on a PvE server, a rogue dicklord can do some serious damage to hours and hours of play. But to that point, we also play a ton of other MMO and multiplayer games together, so there's a lot more reasons to join that simply an ARK cluster.

Anyway, I know there's a lot of cool people here that would fit in well, and I know @MuddBudd has done an amazing job keeping things going, so I would feel bad if I didn't at least share an opportunity for some of you to keep playing together. @MuddBudd you're welcome to give us a shot, too...maybe you just need to take a break from admining a server and just play. As one of our admins, I know it can sometimes get super-stressful managing all this crap (which is why we have 4).

If anyone is interested, they can shoot me a PM here, or check us out at www.unrepentantgaming.com.

That was me. We're still running our cluster, and it's been working out pretty fantasticallyasticatgreat.

I had a couple people PM me if this was still a thing, and it is.

More info here on our Reddit server post: https://www.reddit.com/r/SurviveTogether/comments/5qaqox/pc_server_its_dangerous_to_survive_alone_take/

And if you want to actually chat us up with some questions first, you can check out our Discord server here: https://discord.gg/U6jxKjW

• Options
    Reminder, Scorched Earth final day is tomorrow. I don't know exactly when they will stop it.

So if you still want to store something there, do it today.

• Options
    BitTWistBitTWist Kitsap CountyRegistered User regular
    Well, we pulled all our dinos from scorched earth last night. Was a site to see the line of dinos heading to the red obelisk. Lost one to terror birds, but it was a extra. We where missing a lot of recent tames because of the crash/restore, that my youngest had been stock piling before the shut down. But I explained what happened, and they understood.

We will probably do the Center migration this weekend. Will be a lot easier considering how close we are to the obelisk.

I want to thank MuddBudd for the hosting, and all the others that we met while playing. We had a lot of fun. Kids have moved to a private Ark server I have running, and I am headed to Conan: Exiles. Maybe I will see a couple of you there.

3DS:2552-1222-3225 / PSN:BitTwist
  • Options
    BitTWist wrote: »
    Well, we pulled all our dinos from scorched earth last night. Was a site to see the line of dinos heading to the red obelisk. Lost one to terror birds, but it was a extra. We where missing a lot of recent tames because of the crash/restore, that my youngest had been stock piling before the shut down. But I explained what happened, and they understood.

We will probably do the Center migration this weekend. Will be a lot easier considering how close we are to the obelisk.

I want to thank MuddBudd for the hosting, and all the others that we met while playing. We had a lot of fun. Kids have moved to a private Ark server I have running, and I am headed to Conan: Exiles. Maybe I will see a couple of you there.

Where are you set up on the Center again? I can use Tek stuff to put down transmitters basically anywhere now. As an experiment I put one at @Kalnaur 's place. Seems to work fine for uploading stuff.

• Options
    BitTWistBitTWist Kitsap CountyRegistered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Where are you set up on the Center again? I can use Tek stuff to put down transmitters basically anywhere now. As an experiment I put one at @Kalnaur 's place. Seems to work fine for uploading stuff.

We are just north of the blue Obelisk on the beach. Big ole compound with a couple T-Rexs and a Quetz in the front Yard. Big red doors also.

3DS:2552-1222-3225 / PSN:BitTwist
  • Options
    BitTWist wrote: »

We are just north of the blue Obelisk on the beach. Big ole compound with a couple T-Rexs and a Quetz in the front Yard. Big red doors also.

Oh that's a short jaunt for you then.

• Options
    Since the dinos all show up in SP, I wasn't worried about storing mine, since i have them on those maps, but it's nice to know that Tek is so helpful to the play of the game.

I'm sure when they have an end-game set up in it, I'll head for the final showdown, either on a new PA server or on SP (with or without cheats, who knows).

• Options
    If anyone is still looking to play on a server, my brother (@Kelfatir, king of the egg barons and builder for giant bridges) has one with some guildmates from another game. They are looking for more people who won't be dicks. They're on The Island now as some of them learn the game, and are planning on opening a SE map in the near future.

If you're itnerested, feel free to PM me and I'll try to get y'all in contact with each other.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    Pablo the PenguinPablo the Penguin Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I bought this game a while ago and since then I've been wondering; should I play it now, or wait in the hopes of future bug fixes and patches? Because from what I understand, this is one of thoe "perpetual development" early access games where even upon official release it may still have problems to be ironed out. But I'm still very interested in playing it at some point. So give it a test now, or wait further? (Also, you might want to update the thread title to say that it's just been updated and is on sale on Steam).

Pablo the Penguin on
  • Options
    It's a completely playable game now, and I've had a lot of fun playing it. However, there are bugs, and some bad ones, but there's no garuntee they will ever be fixed, so if you want to play, may as well play now.

Meanwhile I tried playing on a server my brother had, which had x1 tames on it.

Managed to tame a Tapejara I found stuck in a rock. Had no kibble so it took forever, but I did it. Then the next time I logged in, it had vanished from existence because I parked to too close to a rock I guess? I tried riding my only high level dino, a level 207 wolf downloaded from the Obelisk from the last PA server, to 50/50 to check if it was there.

Got halfway there and was snatched off my wolf by a leaping croc and killed.
    Got halfway back to where I died and was ambushed by two more leaping crocs and killed.
    Got close enough to where I died to see my wolf, whistled it to me, then was jumped by a leaping croc and killed.
    Got all the way back again, whistled for my wolf, and just before it reached me it was attacked by a croc and killed.
    Jumped into the nearest lake to feed piranhas so that my corpse didn't clutter the server, and decided to go back to single player.

• Options
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    I bought this game a while ago and since then I've been wondering; should I play it now, or wait in the hopes of future bug fixes and patches? Because from what I understand, this is one of thoe "perpetual development" early access games where even upon official release it may still have problems to be ironed out. But I'm still very interested in playing it at some point. So give it a test now, or wait further? (Also, you might want to update the thread title to say that it's just been updated and is on sale on Steam).

I don't see any real point in waiting. I don't expect that the game will be polished up enough that starting later will be a much different experience. That said, I play on a private server with my friends (and friends of friends), so what pvp shenanigans people get up to on the official servers does not affect me.

It's a fun game, but yeah, there are a lot of bugs and several just poor design decisions. But you can kick back and play some Jurassic Park music and just have fun with it.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options

God, the underwater bases are finally here, after I've freed myself from this game's grasp.
    And now I want a Unicorn Zebra.
    But I shall wait.
    I shall wait . . .

• Options
    I may start back up again when PVE endgame isn't "breed a ton of dinos to farm the bosses for element"

Which basically means someone modding in a way to learn Tech blueprints and harvest Element in other ways.

• Options
    New Inventory UI:
    C7-DwHpXwAEiI5A.jpg

• Options
    Not bad.