As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Literally everybody is rerolling Demon Hunter [SE++ WoW]

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I went into molten core earlier.

Wow I never saw it when it was current.

That must have been.

Real bad times.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I went into molten core earlier.

Wow I never saw it when it was current.

That must have been.

Real bad times.

Loot the hounds.

Who pulled the imps?!

Decurse decurse decurse

Loot the hounds!

/w RaidLeader "You are the bomb!"

Tranq shot...tranq shot!...FFS HUNTER TRANQ SHOT OR WE DIE.

LOOT THE GODDAMN HOUNDS!

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Don't forget that every week you would need at least 8 people to go all the way to one end of Azshara to get an Aqual Quintessence to douse the runes.

• Options
    Even just walking from place to place in there seemed like it'd be a chore.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Best part was having to get organize 40 fucking people to make that shit happen every week.

Honestly, Vanilla raiding was the worst.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    fuck vanilla

• Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    I mean it's not the best ice cream flavor but

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Best part was having to get organize 40 fucking people to make that shit happen every week.

Honestly, Vanilla raiding was the worst.

It had some good things but yeah the effort was NOT worth it looking back.

• Options
    411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    Things I don't miss about Vanilla, after five minutes of thought:

40-man raids
    Fire resist mobs in UBRS, Molten Core, and BRD meant you couldn't be a fire mage
    Getting an elite mount at 60 was...900 gold w/faction discount? Which was a pipe dream for most people.
    3 hour queues for Alterac Valley (while Horde waited five minutes because of massive faction imbalance)
    13 hour games of Alterac Valley
    Silithus
    Getting lost in BRD for six hours
    Spending an hour making mage food for raids
    Having to do a quest chain just to get lvl 60 mage food
    Starting a ret paladin and finding out Blizzard had just nerfed them into the ground (hey, that one happened again!)
    Elite quests that nobody ever did but which were everywhere once you hit 50
    Dungeons nobody ever did because they sucked so you couldn't finish some quests
    Dungeon quests you had to find somewhere out in the world and couldn't share because they were multi-step
    Having to stand in Ironforge and watch LFG to go to any dungeons ever, and then you had to get yourself there because nobody played Warlock and it required 3 people to summon anyway

Things I miss about Vanilla:

Remember that one quest that rewarded you with Linken's Boomerang?

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Options
    The thing I miss about Vanilla is that there used to be a real server community.

That part of wow is long dead, replaced by screaming obscenities, memes, and group finders.

• Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    I loved 40 man raids. That's a main reason I quit in BC-- It made the gear checks a lot worse and made it harder to raid semi casually in my particular situation. I mean yeah it had pain in the ass shit like the quest to get benediction/anathema or the insane gear checks in Aq40, but the encounters in BWL and Naxx made up for it. Then in BC I walked into Karazhan and it had interesting mechanics but... not ones that were fun more than once, the way say naxx was. Then SSC was over tuned gibberish that was a flashback to pre health nerf C'thun and I said nope nope nope.

flasks were dumb
    heads were dumb
    buffs in general were dumb

those are my main complaints with vanilla. It was a lot less of a pain in the ass than the muds I'd come immediately from in terms of repetitive grinding.

A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    rhylith wrote: »
    The thing I miss about Vanilla is that there used to be a real server community.

That part of wow is long dead, replaced by screaming obscenities, memes, and group finders.

I played on Shadowmoon in Classic. That "community" was the top guilds basically shitting on everyone and anyone doing whatever they pleased. Ninja loot Azuregos? Sure thing! Dive bomb a group who has one of the Emerald dragons down to 10% and kill them all to snatch the tap? Always! Identify opposing teams going for HWL/GM and making sure to camp the person being boosted any time they were outside the BG? You bet! Assigning a KoS on a single person on the server because he annoyed them? The term cyber bullying hasn't even been invented yet so go ahead! Kill all the quest NPC's and have the opposing faction kill anyone who tries to stop them? Every goddamn weekend.

Madican on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Granted it was a PvE server, but my original server was actually pretty good. The raiding was pretty niche and getting into a raiding guild without raiding gear eventually became impossible, but there was still a lot going on despite that, and when I got the quel'serrar book in Dire Maul on my warrior, someone in the group who was in one of those raiding guilds offered to take me along for an onyxia kill so I could get the item.

• Options
    My vanilla server was the server Fires of Heaven used, as well.

Thankfully, the days of EverQuest were long gone, and they could no longer monopolize literally all the raid content because instances were a thing by this point.

I could always spot a Fires of Heaven member because they were always that one arrogant shithead in raid chat in the battleground, or general chat in an outdoor event, yelling at people about how retarded they're being.

I reeeeaaally did not miss them when they transferred elsewhere.

• Options
    Every single thing you mentioned there besides the ninja looting was a pvp thing and it sounds like you should have rerolled on a pve server a long time ago.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Well we could still kill npcs on the ole pve server, but having all the rest be voluntary was just delightful

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    It's pvp, it's also being a colossal dickhead to people. The two can be separated.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Also server transfers weren't available until around mid 2006 I wanna say. I also kinda remember you couldn't go from PvP>PvE for some strange reason. Maybe it was the other way around? I can't quite remember.

Lorahalo on
  • Options
    Shattered Hand

Drama Vs. Death and Taxes

Life was pretty good for me in those days. You couldn't go from PvE to PvP because people had this strange notion that doing so was a way of avoiding pvp when leveling

which I mean I guess it is?

A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Yeah when character transfers were first introduced you couldn't switch to different realm types. Then you could go PvP to PvE, but not the other way around, then it was everything.

• Options
    Speaking of PVP, I used to have a Dwarf Shadow Priest Engineer on Dark Iron, way back in the day.

The mind control helmet was my favorite thing.

Once I got jumped by a max level warlock and a rogue at my level.

Which turned into me and my max level pet warlock against a rogue at my level.

There was the time some raiding group burst into Ironforge, and I turned a tauren warrior (With Ashkandi) against his buddies, killing one or two of them.

• Options
    oh god when the four dragon open world bosses got released

priest + mind control helmet was a pox on both our houses

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    My server started a global channel in WotLK for forming heroic groups, to preserve the server community after the introduction of LFG

The dialogue that transpired there was a good demonstration of why I don't miss "server community".

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Every single thing you mentioned there besides the ninja looting was a pvp thing and it sounds like you should have rerolled on a pve server a long time ago.

Oh I did! As soon as server transfer restrictions from PvP->PvE went away I moved over to Lightbringer. Then I eventually made my way to Wyrmrest Accord to see how an RP realm was. And now I'm gearing up to take on PvP through Cho'gall again, though this time I no longer get super nervous about surprise PvP after years of Dark Souls.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    My original server had the famous player Avatar (known as Serennia later in time), the Hunter who had server first Vis'kag, Obsidian Edge Blade *and* Spinal Reapers.

He was a total anustart.

• Options
    my vanilla server consisted of a chain of guild bank thefts that led to no one raiding on alliance side

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Molten Core was difficult mostly because it was herding cats, and people weren't really optimising gear and spec yet. The fact that decursive was required was bad design, and that it started the "bring correct resistance gear" trend sucks but otherwise all fights are exceedingly simple.

BWL was a huge step up but also crazy in design and difficulty, with the first two bosses being the hardest until Nef. And I still wonder if the kite strat for the first boss were intended or if the hp on the dragonkin was overtuned and never fixed, because it was really fiddly, and vulnerable to lagdeaths. Instance servers could be really bad.

AQ40 was uninspiring with the trash being harder than the bosses and the stupid resist reqs.

Original Naxx was cool but dumb shit like "bring 6 tanks for 1 fight, 1 for another" drag it down, and I bet one of the reasons it was reused because so few ever saw significant parts of it.

But overall vanilla wasted your time in so many ways. Finding groups for regular dungeons. Needing people to travel, and sometimes fight, to the dungeon entrance. On my first server the Alliance camped MC entrance with at least 1 full raid on Wednesdays. Quests that needed multiple dungeon runs. Attunement questlines.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Trying to get people to help with the Molten Core attunement in Blackrock Depths was like pulling teeth.

I eventually found a way to get there solo via lava after the group killed the forge boss.

Madican on
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    World pvp is kinda dumb anyway. I've also never found the battlegrounds very fun either.

To me wow is coop game at its core. The competitive aspects of it always frustrate me.

If only because balancing out the coop dungeons and raids with the pvp side of things is a fools errand and they really should just pick one or the other imo.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited August 2016

I don't know what server you played on but that sounds like vanilla wow to me
    aside from automatic matchmaking

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf5XraZy8S8

this was a good way to remember all the lore of Warcraft

• Options
    aw man they've retconned the titans to be dead? when did that happen?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    When Chronicle got released. I actually kinda like it. We've spent so long in game looking for the Titans as a kinda "Oh god please help us against the Legion" but then we find out they've been dead for thousands of years.

• Options
    I liked the old lore of they just were constantly moving on to new worlds and they were just cosmically so far away that they couldn't find out that sargeras had turned heel

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i want an expansion continent to just be a massive titan corpse

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Titans are living worlds, so if there was an expansion involving one we might get a single body part as the continent.
    Azeroth itself is a nascent Titan.

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    Titans are living worlds, so if there was an expansion involving one we might get a single body part as the continent.
    Azeroth itself is a nascent Titan.
    All the Titans except Sargeras are dead though, so if we got a Titan-continent it's either Sargeras, awoken Azeroth, or a corpse of one of the others.

• Options
    AsharaxxAsharaxx Registered User regular
    So. I think I'm falling back in. I've been following news throughout Mists and Warlords because I'm a sad excuse of a person but all the people popping up on my friendlist while I'm playing Diablo(including my mother) is finally getting to me.

I've lurked in this thread for a while and figured if I ever went back I'd see if y'all would have me(plus it seems like @Makershot set up here?).

But, I'm not sure what the best way to go about it would be. I know Resurrection is gone. I've read that cross-server grouping is vastly improved, but I'm still unsure as to how much? Would it be feasible for me to stay on my Ravenholdt characters or would there be too many problems, and making characters on Cho'gall is the right idea?

Also, what would buying Legion get me right now? Just the level boost?

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Asharaxx wrote: »
    So. I think I'm falling back in. I've been following news throughout Mists and Warlords because I'm a sad excuse of a person but all the people popping up on my friendlist while I'm playing Diablo(including my mother) is finally getting to me.

I've lurked in this thread for a while and figured if I ever went back I'd see if y'all would have me(plus it seems like @Makershot set up here?).

But, I'm not sure what the best way to go about it would be. I know Resurrection is gone. I've read that cross-server grouping is vastly improved, but I'm still unsure as to how much? Would it be feasible for me to stay on my Ravenholdt characters or would there be too many problems, and making characters on Cho'gall is the right idea?

Also, what would buying Legion get me right now? Just the level boost?

And I think access to demon hunters on any server where you have a level 70 character already

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    I really want an expansion where you straight up fight Sargeras at the end.

This discussion has been closed.