As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So, the Facebook mobile website doesn't let you use messages anymore.

KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
Cool, huh? They force you to install their crappy fucking Messenger app now if you want to use facebook messages on the mobile website.

I mean... not only is the Facebook mobile site faster and more reliable than the standalone Facebook app, it also doesn't require any silly permissions. And fuck no am I not gonna install a crappy standalone messenger app when the website will do.

Unsurprisingly, this is pissing a lot of people right off.

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Well you can always go back to MySpace

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    The Messenger app has always worked fine for me

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I just used the mobile website.It still works it just forces a prompt to download the messenger. Its a minor annoyance.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    be real, nobody uses facebook any more.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    everyone's moved on to the new hotness, email

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I use it for planning recording sessions so its a bit frustrating but meh I have a desktop

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    its cool, to send letters, in real life.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Send them via a real life messenger.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    physically travel to the location of the person you want to talk to and shout in their ear

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    Didn't this happen over a year ago? Or wa that just for the Facebook app?

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Facebook just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about internet culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in brick and mortar businesses where you can become successful by being an ***hole. If you screw someone over on the internet, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the online public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to use Facebook on any platform, nor will they use any of Facebook's services. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Facebook has alienated an entire market with this move.

Facebook, publicly apologize and bring back messenger to your mobile website or you can kiss your business goodbye.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I, for one, do not believe in Facebook, as it is against my religion.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    We need to start a Facebook group

Once it hits one million members, they'll have to listen to us

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    facebook is a mass hallucination anyway

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    This is BULLSHIT

Please Like, Share, and Subscribe to hear other views like this that reinforce all your beliefs and make you feel better about yourself

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    more like failbook

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I facebook via a tab in mobile Chrome. Messaging works fine that way. No facebook app, no messenger app, full functionality.

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    'WhatsApp' sounds like 'What's Up?', as in: "Hey! What's Up? Stop ignoring my dick pics."

Clever.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    physically travel to the location of the person you want to talk to and shout in their ear

Tattoo the message on your slave's head and send him along to your ally with instructions that his head be shaved

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

I've heard people talking about this "Facebook" thing lately, can someone explain to me exactly what it is and what it's for?

Thanks!

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    I've heard people talking about this "Facebook" thing lately, can someone explain to me exactly what it is and what it's for?

Thanks!

Imagine this forum with only one big thread, where everyone knew who you were, and your mother is there reading your posts.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    90% of what I use Facebook for is group messages with my tabletop gaming group, so I don't really have a problem with the messenger program, but I do hate how it will still show you there are messages in the main app, but when you try to open them it redirects you to a different app. Also the main app blows, but the Messenger app is alright.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    I installed Facebook on my mobile and used it to upload a photo once. I later found that they had taken my mobile number and slapped it on my public profile without my knowledge or permission. Good thing I checked what was on there every now and then.

I don't use Facebook anymore.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    How dare they put any restrictions on the free thing that you use every day

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I don't think I've ever used facebook messenger.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I guess I'll just have to tell all my family and friends to post in SE++ so I can still communicate with them

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Brolo wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever used facebook messenger.

I have (when financial trubs made it so I couldn't text)

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I use it all the time, it's really good.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I use it.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I couldn't actually install any apps on my phone, there simply isn't enough room. This cheap shitty phone only has 2GB of ROM built in, so slapped a 32GB microSD card in it.

After about a month the microSD card slot died. Not the card, the slot in the phone.

Yay.

• Options
    My best friends and I have had a running Facebook Messenger group chat for like 3 years now

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Facebook? More like buttmagazine lol

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
    Facebook? More like buttmagazine lol

Buttmagazine?

Sir, I would like to subscribe to this magazine of which you speak.

• Options
    I facebook via a tab in mobile Chrome. Messaging works fine that way. No facebook app, no messenger app, full functionality.

I used to do it the same way, but since yesterday they just force-redirect you to the play store now every time you open a message in a mobile browser. If you go back, it errors out.

Boo I say!

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Kashaar wrote: »

I used to do it the same way, but since yesterday they just force-redirect you to the play store now every time you open a message in a mobile browser. If you go back, it errors out.

Boo I say!

Uhh...I think that might be you. I just tried it right now and it's fine.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Tox wrote: »

Boo I say!

Yeah you might need to refresh but it still works

• Options
    Tox wrote: »

Boo I say!

Yeah you might need to refresh but it still works

Nope, just errors out and force-redirects me to the play store again. Chrome on Android here.

• Options
    The Messenger app is Super functional and not a hassle at all so installing it isn't a big deal either

CYpGAPn.png