Options

The Space Sim Megathread | Getting a Barbarosa from the Vigor Syndicate is Hard

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Processing this some more, 5v5 is also the magic number for esports which the cynical part of me feels is the monetization angle EA is going with.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Processing this some more, 5v5 is also the magic number for esports which the cynical part of me feels is the monetization angle EA is going with.

Its the hero cards from Battlefield's space mode turned into a whole game!

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Maybe wait till we have actual gameplay or confirmation before deciding? Just spitballing, but all we have is a trailer and basic talking points.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    *Bioware Lots-Of-Speculation-From-Everyone*

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I think we've a fair bit of info to make some reasonable guesses.

5v5
    The main focus of the game is multiplayer.
    You can customize your ships, both looks and increasing performance (weapons, hulls, engines, and shields).
    Everything will be unlocked "solely through gameplay". Should we start a pool now to bet on how long that one lasts for? I say two months.
    It is Crossplay (Xbone, PS4, PC). Plus VR support.
    It isn't next gen, but probably a safe bet it'd be available for next gen consoles.
    It is first-person only.
    It costs $40 USD. Which means I wouldn't get my hopes up for a grandiose single player campaign. I mean it could be a perfectly serviceable single player campaign, but single player isn't the focus of this game.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    How was the Battlefront II campaign? I never experienced it first hand.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Where did we land on Elite Dangerous being functionally controller compatible?

My son really wants a space sim where you can land on planets, would that be a good one? Is there a good one (gamepad compatible)?

It's fine and playable with a controller. You'll have to spend a few minutes setting up the controls (and there may be some commands that would likely be best left to the keyboard), but controller on PC is what I use (I do have a HOTAS, but my desk real estate is a bit tight at the moment).

It's a couch setup, so keyboard is kind of awkward. I'll see what can be done, thanks!

• Options

I liked it, the gameplay kind of lacked in that it wasn't unique for the most part to the mode, so you were basically playing single player bf2, but they had it fully voice acted and mocapped, it was around 4 to 5 hours?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    I think we've a fair bit of info to make some reasonable guesses.

5v5
    The main focus of the game is multiplayer.
    You can customize your ships, both looks and increasing performance (weapons, hulls, engines, and shields).
    Everything will be unlocked "solely through gameplay". Should we start a pool now to bet on how long that one lasts for? I say two months.
    It is Crossplay (Xbone, PS4, PC). Plus VR support.
    It isn't next gen, but probably a safe bet it'd be available for next gen consoles.
    It is first-person only.
    It costs $40 USD. Which means I wouldn't get my hopes up for a grandiose single player campaign. I mean it could be a perfectly serviceable single player campaign, but single player isn't the focus of this game.

Or, less cynically, they could do what they did in Battlefield 4. Everything can be unlocked just by playing the game (leveling up grants a general battlepack...leveling up a weapon/ship grants a battlepack specifically for that piece of gear...battlepack can contain upgrades or cosmetics for the weapon/ship). But, after the first 3 months, they could offer a "cosmetic shortcut bundle" for a ship.

Or go the Titanfall 2 route. Everything on release is unlocked in-game. Premium cosmetic skins could be added later in ship-specific MTx packs.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    From what I saw both Luke and Lando got a lot of love for their story bits, and while people didn't love the new characters, they weren't especially hated either.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    The trailer is certainly exciting, but it sounds very action/arcade-like to me. TIE Fighter had intense battles, yes, but it it also had "sit for 5 minutes and do nothing in space like a real fighter pilot would" type things. That's what made the game realistic to me. It wasn't all action all the time.

Anyway, here's hoping for a good single-player mode.

There aren't many ways to screw up a single player VR Star Wars flight game for me, but X-Wing's literal 5 minute stretches of waiting for ships to warp in and do their boarding thing without time compression would probably do it. For that kind of gameplay, Elite is right there.

• Options
    From what I saw both Luke and Lando got a lot of love for their story bits, and while people didn't love the new characters, they weren't especially hated either.

Lando's story was fucking great. I forgot about that, he was top notch!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Orogogus wrote: »
    The trailer is certainly exciting, but it sounds very action/arcade-like to me. TIE Fighter had intense battles, yes, but it it also had "sit for 5 minutes and do nothing in space like a real fighter pilot would" type things. That's what made the game realistic to me. It wasn't all action all the time.

There aren't many ways to screw up a single player VR Star Wars flight game for me, but X-Wing's literal 5 minute stretches of waiting for ships to warp in and do their boarding thing without time compression would probably do it. For that kind of gameplay, Elite is right there.

Something to remember/understand - and please note, I was and am a huge fan of these games, that's where I got my callsign even - is that the classic games were about 2/3 dogfighting sim and 1/3 action puzzle. "Okay, this has to happen and this has to happen before that can happen, and here are my resources, and I can only personally be in one place at a time..."

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    So I was expecting pvp and we’ll see if the single player campaign is any good. I would definitely like to see pve missions. Competitive multiplayer can get really old really fast if the matchmaking is subpar.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Orogogus wrote: »

Something to remember/understand - and please note, I was and am a huge fan of these games, that's where I got my callsign even - is that the classic games were about 2/3 dogfighting sim and 1/3 action puzzle. "Okay, this has to happen and this has to happen before that can happen, and here are my resources, and I can only personally be in one place at a time..."

That's fine; I just think you can get that gameplay without warping in shuttles four minutes away from their targets and making the player sit there and wait.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Where did we land on Elite Dangerous being functionally controller compatible?

My son really wants a space sim where you can land on planets, would that be a good one? Is there a good one (gamepad compatible)?

Controller was my Elite Dangerous weapon of choice. Yeah, it's perfectly playable. I never landed on a planet, though, I kinda fell off that game a couple of times and haven't played it in ages. But yeah, controller is entirely do-able.

Look at No Man's Sky too, that might scratch that itch while being more accessible (I have yet to play it).

Jazz on
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Looking forward to hearing more. Sounds like the 18th we'll see gameplay. Ace Combat 7 VR was amazing and I can't wait to get another action-y dog fighting game in VR. The PS4 was seriously taxed when running AC7VR, so I'm looking forward to a PC version that can keep the fidelity of non-VR.

I don't really need a great single player story, just some really fun combat scenario's would be enough. Not that I wouldn't turn down a decent campaign.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    No Man's Sky is a very relaxed game. 100% can be played with a controller. I haven't gotten far enough into Elite, to really compare but I can tell you that NMS is a LOT simpler just from how many buttons needed. No need to ask permission to dock, landing is automatic, picking up stuff is automatic.

• Options

And Janina Gavankar knocked it out of the park as the protagonist.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2020

Did someone say TIE Fighter? I'm pretty sure I heard someone say TIE Fighter.

I didn't realize there was a trailer out for Squadrons yet. Better check it out. I'm expected a spiritual sequel to Rogue Squadron which would not be a bad thing (especially if it wasn't exclusive to a Nintendo console), even if it's not my personal favorite.

EDIT: Checked it out. It was nice to see nods to things like power management and potential shield directional management, and it's hard to imagine it won't be a very nice looking game but...well, we'll see. I guess I'll be the dissenting opinon: Battlefront II's singleplayer was trash, varying from "eh, this is okay, but without Star Wars no one would actually care" to "Wow, this is actually shit. Nice looking shit, but polished shit is still shit." The hero sections were dumb and awkwardly forced in, reeking of "NO! YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO MAKE A STAR WARS GAME WHERE YOU DON'T CHOP UP DUDES WITH A LIGHTSABER!" and with decidedly poor stand-ins for Han and Luke (at least Lando was actually voiced by Billy D. Williams, but I'm a completely unashamed Lando fanboy). This is literally the first time I've seen praise for the hero cameos, but I guess I just didn't look hard enough. I just remember revisiting the multiplayer maps with some boring Jedi-platforming tacked on.

That just left the rest of the campaign, which went from an interesting start to a very obviously case of "Okay, reuse the multiplayer maps with stupid waves of stupid AI" pretty much after the introduction.

Squadrons could be good, but the last singleplayer experience EA put out involving fighter combat wasn't. Maybe it'll be less that and more Jedi Fallen Order which I am assured is really good. It's a little hard to not picture this being another multiplayer engagement that happens to feature some singleplayer side-story.

Also, Janina Gavankar clearly did the best with what she was given, and really deserved to not be such a thoroughly mediocre-at-best campaign that EA had to make John Boyega hype it up as "Something that's never been done before." Whatever they paid her, or for that matter him, it wasn't enough.

That's a fair question. I think it sucked, don't bother with it. Picture the recent Battlefield singleplayer experience, but with less effort put into it.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    What I've managed to learn from the various press releases and whatnot:

1st person perspective, described as "immersive".

Hardcore flight sim vibes (it literally has the same exact energy transfer system from the X-Wing games).

There will be some type of evolving campaign map. Whether that's for SP MP or both i'm not sure.

Multiplayer battles revolve around destroying the other teams flagship, there will also be a standard TDM mode.

Single player campaign alternates between New Republic and Imperial pilots perspectives.

New Republic Squadron is called "Vanguard" and the Imperial squadron is called "Titan".

Takes place shortly after the battle of Endor (think Operation Cinder).

Customization options consist of:
    Performance: weapons, hull, shields, engine.

Cosmetic: cockpit, exterior, pilot.

No MTX, all upgrades earned in game.

Mix of original and known Star Wars characters (Hera Syndulla and Wedge Antilles shown in trailer but there will likely be more).

If I find out more info before the gameplay reveal I'll post it here.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    I'm honestly fine with microtransactions, it's that loot box bullshit that puts me off. Including loot boxes earned with in-game currency.

God willing, they'll stay far away from trying any sort of "continuity cross-title story telling" with the "story" in BF2.

It's surprising that Totally Games' mechanics from X-Wing and TIE Fighter are considered "hardcore flight sim vibes", since had barely any sort of actual flight physics (limited to "Point ship in direction u go" and "Some ship turn fast, other ship turn notfast") and generally very limited systems management (Elite Dangerous would be an example over something much more extensive, never mind actual attempts at flight simulation on console, like Over G). This sounds about as "harcore" as Everspace, which is probably for the best, but it's a odd way to describe it.

I don't like alternative-side story modes personally, but that's just me. Halo 2 did it best, probably. I'd want two separate campaigns (even set concurrently), but this probably saves work and makes better use of writing resources as they can be reused clearly.

Hope it all works out. I'm in the "cautiously cautious" crowd.

• Options
    I think after the shit storm of the bf2 micros they will never do another system like that again.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    I think after the shit storm of the bf2 micros they will never do another system like that again.

Or loot boxes, I hope. Fuck randomized skinner box content unlock systems, from here to Overwatch.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    What I've managed to learn from the various press releases and whatnot:

1st person perspective, described as "immersive".

Hardcore flight sim vibes (it literally has the same exact energy transfer system from the X-Wing games).

There will be some type of evolving campaign map. Whether that's for SP MP or both i'm not sure.

Multiplayer battles revolve around destroying the other teams flagship, there will also be a standard TDM mode.

Single player campaign alternates between New Republic and Imperial pilots perspectives.

New Republic Squadron is called "Vanguard" and the Imperial squadron is called "Titan".

Takes place shortly after the battle of Endor (think Operation Cinder).

Customization options consist of:
    Performance: weapons, hull, shields, engine.

Cosmetic: cockpit, exterior, pilot.

No MTX, all upgrades earned in game.

Mix of original and known Star Wars characters (Hera Syndulla and Wedge Antilles shown in trailer but there will likely be more).

If I find out more info before the gameplay reveal I'll post it here.

Fall of cybertron?

• Options
    It won't have the assault gunboat in it, so why bother?

• Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    I'm deeply cautious, as someone mentioned upthread regarding the parity between Empire and Rebels and i'm worried that the TIEs aren't going to be chod. Give me TIEs that fall apart in two hits.

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    Botznoy wrote: »
    I'm deeply cautious, as someone mentioned upthread regarding the parity between Empire and Rebels and i'm worried that the TIEs aren't going to be chod. Give me TIEs that fall apart in two hits.

That's not a problem. Watch the movies. Unless your name is "Luke" or "Wedge", your X-Wing explodes the second it steps in appears in front of anything shooting green. Even if it's not flying.

Viola, parity.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I'm sure everyone in this thread has already seen this long ago, but I'll post it again cause it is fucking badass.

https://youtu.be/PN_CP4SuoTU

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    TIEs have advantages that the X-wing's don't have btw. That's what balances the two ships.

Also I recommend you guys check out the Alphabet Squadron book if you haven't yet. It takes place at exactly the same time as this game does and follows a New Republic Intelligence squadron in exactly the same fleet that is depicted in the trailer (We know this because Hera Syndulla was their boss). Also the squadron is comprised of the exact ships shown in the trailer + a B-Wing. I'd highly recommend reading the book just because of how good it is but if you want to be brought up to speed on the state of events in the galaxy around this era it's the book that goes most in depth on it. I'd be shocked if we didn't at least get cameos or an Alphabet Squadron paintjob as an unlockable.

Edit: there's also a short mini-series comic called TIE FIGHTER that follows Alphabet Squadron's Imperial rivals, Shadow Squadron, shortly before Endor. IMO the comic doesn't really live up to the book though and is only loosely connected.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Cautiously interested but I've been hurt before.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

That's not a problem. Watch the movies. Unless your name is "Luke" or "Wedge", your X-Wing explodes the second it steps in appears in front of anything shooting green. Even if it's not flying.

Viola, parity.

I’m surprised there was never an upgraded Imperial space superiority fighter called the TIE Breaker

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Syngyne wrote: »

Viola, parity.

I’m surprised there was never an upgraded Imperial space superiority fighter called the TIE Breaker

Kindly leave the stage :lol:

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2R01k4SXI

More to the point, five versus five seems rather low. I need to check the size of Ace Combat 7 multiplayer matches.

• Options
    It turns out Vanguard Squadron has been mentioned in the book Alphabet Squadron multiple times:

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Vanguard_Squadron

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    It's surprising that Totally Games' mechanics from X-Wing and TIE Fighter are considered "hardcore flight sim vibes", since had barely any sort of actual flight physics

It’s important to realize the frame of reference. X-Wing and TIE Fighter are “hardcore” when compared with Rogue Squadron and everything else that’s ever put you in a cockpit in a Star Wars game. I’m sure there are plenty who’d love something even more detailed, but so far we’ve never seen it and for a lot of us, X-Wing and TIE Fighter were magic and we want more.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    This is what makes it "hardcore"
    Do you have complete control over your ship's systems? Y/N
    Is the player given "boosted" stats in comparison to other ships? I.e., a player TIE or A-Wing takes more hits than a NPC one. Y/N
    Do you need to cover your allies to achieve mission objectives? Y/N
    Are capital ships props? Or active agents in missions? Are they vulnerable to NPC weapons or ships? Or do they just "trade fireworks" until the player completes the mission scripting?
    Can you give your wingmen commands? Y/N
    Are they set-piece props or important to your success? Y/N
    If you die, does it matter? Y/N (X-Wing and TIE Fighter had PERMA-DEATH mechanics in which while you could complete the game with restores, you would not keep your score or awards)
    Are the scope of missions reasonable? Are you one X-Wing shooting down a hundred TIEs per mission? Or are you fighting battles of different size and scale with friendly and enemy units making sense in their disposition? Y/N

There's more, but that's what comes to mind.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    I dunno, I'm thinking the smaller scale of 5 vs 5 is probably better (and who knows, maybe expandable later). Something I don't much like about Battlefront/Battlefield etc is the chaotic feeling that their larger player count creates. I play them, don't feel like I'm getting anywhere because it's just bedlam, and put them down.

Like, if you want a 20 vs 20 Star Wars game, it's already right there.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    This is what makes it "hardcore"
    Do you have complete control over your ship's systems? Y/N
    Is the player given "boosted" stats in comparison to other ships? I.e., a player TIE or A-Wing takes more hits than a NPC one. Y/N
    Do you need to cover your allies to achieve mission objectives? Y/N
    Are capital ships props? Or active agents in missions? Are they vulnerable to NPC weapons or ships? Or do they just "trade fireworks" until the player completes the mission scripting?
    Can you give your wingmen commands? Y/N
    Are they set-piece props or important to your success? Y/N
    If you die, does it matter? Y/N (X-Wing and TIE Fighter had PERMA-DEATH mechanics in which while you could complete the game with restores, you would not keep your score or awards)
    Are the scope of missions reasonable? Are you one X-Wing shooting down a hundred TIEs per mission? Or are you fighting battles of different size and scale with friendly and enemy units making sense in their disposition? Y/N

There's more, but that's what comes to mind.

Did the original have a dynamic campaign? I remember there always being targets of opportunity you had to work to take down, can't remember if it had broader ramifications beyond it being fun.

Bonus Lucas-has-never-understood-what-he-made quote from my attempts to Google an answer that question:
    As the story goes, George Lucas was shown the packaging for TIE Fighter in a board meeting shortly after the game had come out and had started performing well financially and earning acclaim. Lucas picked up the box, examined the cover, and then turned it over to read the copy on the back. "'Imperial Navy'?" he said. "There's no navy in Star Wars." A moment later: "Well, I guess it doesn't matter."

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-making-of-star-wars-tie-fighter/

• Options
    There were no branching paths in any of the X-Wing games, but you did have optional objectives which mostly translated to medals, promotions, and in TIE Fighter's case, higher elevation into the Emperor's Circle.