Options

Es[chat]on

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    Some people don't want to use the term girlfriend or boyfriend because they want a shorter word or they find it problematic or whatever

But I have heard a lot of (mostly younger than me) people try and look for other terms specifically to connote a different kind of relationship. They want to granularly express that it isn't x level of serious or committed, or that it isn't exclusive, or whatever.

I don't like boyfriend/girlfriend because it sounds very high school.

But "significant other" is too wordy, and there'll be hell to pay if I mention "my partner" in conservative rural upstate New York!

Oh, I often call Girl "my partner"

Sometimes "my business partner", with business bracketed by plenty of :winky:

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Six wrote: »
    A North Carolina man ripped off a Muslim woman’s hijab and screamed “This is America!” during a Southwest Airlines flight late last year, court documents revealed Friday.

To be fair, he's not wrong.

i mean, really, maybe he meant it as a metaphor

Was he then saying that the hijab was metaphorically America?

Again, not necessarily wrong.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    You should say paramour

• Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    Six wrote: »
    A North Carolina man ripped off a Muslim woman’s hijab and screamed “This is America!” during a Southwest Airlines flight late last year, court documents revealed Friday.

To be fair, he's not wrong.

i mean, really, maybe he meant it as a metaphor

A man forcefully pressing his views on a woman is still pretty American

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Damn, I guess we are done arguing about the semantics of wording in our phrases to not offend the constitution then?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Okay

Step 1: Bank

Step 2: Call brother

Step 3: Housing list pickup

Step 4: Food

Step 5: Phone Girl

Ready [chat]? Break!

wait which one am i doing

let it be 4 let it be 4

Bad news, you drew 2.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I'm siting in a waiting room.  A man and a woman are arguing over who built the pyramids. She insists they had no tech that could allow them to lift those stones and stack them so perfectly. She insists we don't have this tech today, even our cranes today can't do it!

Um. Pulleys? Preeeeetty sure it was possible. Since they did it. I think she thinks it was aliens.

they didn't have pulleys. Simple pulleys were a mid bronze age thing (like 1000 years later than the big pyramids).

You really just need a lot of people working together.

Hell, in NW Europe they built megaliths of comparable mass around the same time (eg: Silbury Hill) and had even more primitive technology and government than the Egyptians.

edit: and complex block and tackle systems for construction are more like Renaissance time

Er...http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20121218/news/712189835/

A whole lot of people can't lift a giant stone that high without SOME sort of system.
    "Although some of the blocks weighed more than two tons (4,000 pounds), the Egyptian engineers devised a pulley and sled system to move the blocks from the limestone cliffs to the site of the Pyramids at Giza and other places along the west bank of the Nile River," said James L. Phillips, curator of the "Inside Ancient Egypt" exhibit at Chicago's Field Museum of Natural History.
    This is from 2012, but seems accurate?

The Memphis pyramid is now a Bass Pro Shop with a fucking lake inside of it. It's insane.

I think that might be a misquote? They probably pulled the stones on sleds with ropes. But I don't think they had pulleys.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    People also still mistakenly believe that the pyramids was primarily built with slave labor instead of the skilled labor paid labor they were constructed with.

paid is a bit of a misnomer as this is like 2000 years before the invention of currency. People would be fed and supplied (the three essentials are food, beer and makeup) while working on the project. And labor on the project meant a major reduction on the tax burden on the farmers.

the old kingdom definitely had slaves (they were constantly raiding their neighbors in all directions for loot and slaves) but they were more likely to be growing and processing flax or possibly growing food.

Well wages man, no need to go all semantics.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    I'm siting in a waiting room.  A man and a woman are arguing over who built the pyramids. She insists they had no tech that could allow them to lift those stones and stack them so perfectly. She insists we don't have this tech today, even our cranes today can't do it!

Um. Pulleys? Preeeeetty sure it was possible. Since they did it. I think she thinks it was aliens.

they didn't have pulleys. Simple pulleys were a mid bronze age thing (like 1000 years later than the big pyramids).

Hell, in NW Europe they built megaliths of comparable mass around the same time (eg: Silbury Hill) and had even more primitive technology and government than the Egyptians.

edit: and complex block and tackle systems for construction are more like Renaissance time

A whole lot of people can't lift a giant stone that high without SOME sort of system.
    "Although some of the blocks weighed more than two tons (4,000 pounds), the Egyptian engineers devised a pulley and sled system to move the blocks from the limestone cliffs to the site of the Pyramids at Giza and other places along the west bank of the Nile River," said James L. Phillips, curator of the "Inside Ancient Egypt" exhibit at Chicago's Field Museum of Natural History.

The Memphis pyramid is now a Bass Pro Shop with a fucking lake inside of it. It's insane.

Ramps work.

Yeah but probably both, right?

Something like this: http://www.egyptianpulley.com/
    2c557e9316a8b7c43707dab842316b32.jpg

That seems more likely than that same thing but with a shitload of dudes trying to push and a less steep ramp.
    I'm sticking with pulleys until proven otherwise or aliens.

If you're going this far... why not attach a counter weight on the other side so you barely even need man power to do it?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Damn, I guess we are done arguing about the semantics of wording in our phrases to not offend the constitution then?

We are definitely done with that yes.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Okay

Ready [chat]? Break!

let it be 4 let it be 4

Bad news, you drew 2.

not so bad

maybe he'll put my niece on the phone she's totes adorbs

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Narwhal maybe you should empty your vile, tainted seed into another while maintaining a romantic devotion to Girl.

That could be sustainable.

Between this cocktail of meds and jerking it once every blue moon, my tainted seed is well accounted for.

• Options
    A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    I feel unreasonably exhausted. whyyyyyyyyy

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Saw that Independence Day sequel trailer, didn't that Area 51 hippy alien scientist get killed by the alien mind controlling him in the first movie?

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular

Ramps work.

...Well, not for the pyramids, no. A sufficient ramp would be a project eclipsing the scale the pyramid itself.

Start this video at abut the ~25 minute mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9w-i5oZqaQ

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    People also still mistakenly believe that the pyramids was primarily built with slave labor instead of the skilled labor paid labor they were constructed with.

paid is a bit of a misnomer as this is like 2000 years before the invention of currency. People would be fed and supplied (the three essentials are food, beer and makeup) while working on the project. And labor on the project meant a major reduction on the tax burden on the farmers.

the old kingdom definitely had slaves (they were constantly raiding their neighbors in all directions for loot and slaves) but they were more likely to be growing and processing flax or possibly growing food.

Well wages man, no need to go all semantics.

sorry, pet peeve of mine

games like Pharoah or whatever where you have system of currency and tax collection from the Roman era

there is some good stuff in the egyptian history podcast about building the pyramids and how they were able to get all the labor

http://egyptianhistory.libsyn.com/

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Some people don't want to use the term girlfriend or boyfriend because they want a shorter word or they find it problematic or whatever

But I have heard a lot of (mostly younger than me) people try and look for other terms specifically to connote a different kind of relationship. They want to granularly express that it isn't x level of serious or committed, or that it isn't exclusive, or whatever.

I don't like boyfriend/girlfriend because it sounds very high school.

But "significant other" is too wordy, and there'll be hell to pay if I mention "my partner" in conservative rural upstate New York!

My fucktaker

I still think we should make 'esso' into a work

like 'okay'

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Saw that Independence Day sequel trailer, didn't that Area 51 hippy alien scientist get killed by the alien mind controlling him in the first movie?

Twin? Clone?

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

or did he

• Options
    Okay

Ready [chat]? Break!

let it be 4 let it be 4

Bad news, you drew 2.

not so bad

My brother does this with nephew

He's really bad about maintaining a phone conversation

Eventually he just puts you down in a houseplant

• Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    Oh man
    I forgot how good Beatles mash up albums are.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I like the word "lover." The perfect whiff of bohemian pretension, a touch of freewheeling noncommitment, a soupçon of bold-yet-oblique reference to the sexual nature of the relationship

• Options
    actually, if you want a good idea of how people pulling on a rope could move a big stone check out this What If about tug-of-war

https://what-if.xkcd.com/127/

Once you get 50 or 100 people pulling on a rope you have a lot more power than you'd think

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Okay

Ready [chat]? Break!

let it be 4 let it be 4

Bad news, you drew 2.

not so bad

My brother does this with nephew

He's really bad about maintaining a phone conversation

Eventually he just puts you down in a houseplant

yeah bro had the niece facetime me to let me know she was going to be a big sister soon and after like 30 seconds she just was like OK BYE and put the phone down

• Options
    Okay I actually have to go some of those listed items are time critical be back lager

I like that typo, II'm keeping it

That one too

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    http://i.imgur.com/c0XlOOLl.jpg
    Wall painting found in the tomb of Djehutihotep.

I want to know who got to be the guy on the sledge who dumped the water to prevent sand berms.

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    "Blameless Cleric" Right now we just tell other people that we're each other's "person". I think she stole it from Grey's Anatomy. She seems to like it, though. :)

One time early in our relationship, Pinecone's landlady asked me who I was as I was coming in through the back door and I was like "Oh, I'm BC" and she kept staring and me and I stammered, "Pinecone's.. um.. his.. um.. p-person?" And she went. "His.. person." And I just said

"YUP NICE TO MEET YOU BYE" and went inside

later that evening we were making dinner and she walked into the kitchen and said, "Hello, Pinecone, and hello, Pinecone's person."

#rekt

Blameless Cleric on
    Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    I like the word "lover." The perfect whiff of bohemian pretension, a touch of freewheeling noncommitment, a soupçon of bold-yet-oblique reference to the sexual nature of the relationship

lover always makes me think of those SNL sketches with will ferrell and rachel dratch

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

They had slaves, but working on the pyramids was a good job. It paid a high grain and salt ration.

Working in the mines/quarries to get the rock and lye and metals on the other hand was a terrible job. A lot of slaves were used in mines and quarries. They also used them for the shitty farm jobs too.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

or did he

It amuses me they kill Will Smith off screen and bring Brent Spiner back.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    http://i.imgur.com/c0XlOOLl.jpg
    Wall painting found in the tomb of Djehutihotep.

I want to know who got to be the guy on the sledge who dumped the water to prevent sand berms.

well no wonder it took so long to build the pyramids why did they use such tiny workers

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    describe them as your waifu / husbando and keep it very ambiguous whether they are a person or a pillow

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

lover always makes me think of those SNL sketches with will ferrell and rachel dratch

I'm too young for this reference, sorry.

Maybe @preacher will get it.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

Building pyramids was comparatively high status work

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Yooka-Laylee looks good

Glad I backed that project.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

or did he

It amuses me they kill Will Smith off screen and bring Brent Spiner back.

I admit this is childish so please go into this comment knowing that.

I hope Suicide Squad bombs just because Will Smith refused to do the sequel.

Like, I hope it's a good movie.

But I hope it is a financial failure.

For him.

Personally.

Because he wasn't in ID4-2

• Options

I'm too young for this reference, sorry.

Maybe preacher will get it.

this was only like 6

fuck like 15 years ago

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    computer was getting so slooooooow
    turns out photoshop had a memory leak for the past couple weeks
    lol

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    actually, if you want a good idea of how people pulling on a rope could move a big stone check out this What If about tug-of-war

https://what-if.xkcd.com/127/

Once you get 50 or 100 people pulling on a rope you have a lot more power than you'd think

Now I kind of want to organize a group of 50-100 people to all drag a boulder around.

Sounds fun.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Will Smith refusing to do the sequel to ID was probably a decent choice.

This discussion has been closed.