As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The 2016 Downticket Elections Thread for People Who Are Capable of On-Topic Civility

1212223242527»

• Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Waffen wrote: »
    Reddit is getting all crazy on the recount band wagon for the election. Me on the other hand, I feel pretty confident in that Nate Silver posting a few pages back. That recount isn't going to change anything and serves as a distraction to the bigger issues at hand.

I don't think it will be enough to change somethibg, but I think there are enough signs of errors, potential hacking and corruption that I want it investigated this time so that it doesn't skew the election next time. The counties with too many votes and the aging voting machines are highly suspect to me, and I want both those mistakes resolved by 2018.

Also, ifor the recount efforts gather steam, and then take a while, Trump will be distracted cursing them and everyone involved in them. If the Greens make themselves the public face, then it might drive some of their voters to the dens when they see how important stopping him is.

Except if it turns up nothing of note, it's going to go down as sour grapes and harassing the Trump administration, to be used as an excuse when that 'next time' rolls around to not do anything.

That's me, always looking for the inevitable downside.

• Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Astale wrote: »
    Reddit is getting all crazy on the recount band wagon for the election. Me on the other hand, I feel pretty confident in that Nate Silver posting a few pages back. That recount isn't going to change anything and serves as a distraction to the bigger issues at hand.

I don't think it will be enough to change somethibg, but I think there are enough signs of errors, potential hacking and corruption that I want it investigated this time so that it doesn't skew the election next time. The counties with too many votes and the aging voting machines are highly suspect to me, and I want both those mistakes resolved by 2018.

Also, ifor the recount efforts gather steam, and then take a while, Trump will be distracted cursing them and everyone involved in them. If the Greens make themselves the public face, then it might drive some of their voters to the dens when they see how important stopping him is.

Except if it turns up nothing of note, it's going to go down as sour grapes and harassing the Trump administration, to be used as an excuse when that 'next time' rolls around to not do anything.

If you don't investigate, this will also be used as an excuse not to do anything next time.
    You must investigate, and frankly the fact that it's not automatic show the horrifying state of your democratic institutions.

• Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    It's "automatic" if you have a realistic expectation of discovering something.

We do have serious problems with our democratic institutions, but this isn't one of them, thank you.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Gdiguy wrote: »
    @Jragghen which county? I know the SanDag one seemed to be around there, but it's so terribly run I think a lot of people voted No to avoid throwing good money after bad.

Sacramento County - measure B

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod

But it's the Green party taking the risk, not the Dems. If nothing comes of it, the Greens look like whiny losers. If something does, it gets a conversation going about actual hacking and fraud of the kind we should care about.

It's basically win-win at this point.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »

But it's the Green party taking the risk, not the Dems. If nothing comes of it, the Greens look like whiny losers. If something does, it gets a conversation going about actual hacking and fraud of the kind we should care about.

The only problem is that it'll embolden the Greens in 2020 if something does turn up, but...

Ugh, I really wish we had something other than FPTP nationwide.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

The only problem is that it'll embolden the Greens in 2020 if something does turn up, but...

FPTP nationwide would be an improvement, as it would encourage candidates to campaign where the people are. Though the downticket would still remain the same, there isnt an easy fix for gerrymandering as long as majority-minority districts are something people want to persue.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Polaritie wrote: »

FPTP nationwide would be an improvement, as it would encourage candidates to campaign where the people are. Though the downticket would still remain the same, there isnt an easy fix for gerrymandering as long as majority-minority districts are something people want to persue.

Yes, making the presidency go by national popular vote would help - it would force the GOP to pay attention to cities... would certainly shake everything up.

I meant mainly with regards to third parties. I'd LIKE to see more of them, but they're electoral suicide right now with FPTP voting... (which is probably why they're all kind of true-believer looney - anyone else would compromise with the main parties probably).

Downticket is where the money needs to go for 2018 and 2020 though for sure.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy