As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Programming] Kafkaesque rabbits in the queue at the pub

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Ugh so apparently Billing is complaining about the new modal window I made because some of them have their monitor resolution set to 800x600 and the bottom bar is pushing up into the PDF or something.

How the fuck do you guys web dev? How do you catch all these edge cases for views and stuff? Especially with modal windows there's just simply no way for me to draw this window using percentages.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    urahonky wrote: »
    Ugh so apparently Billing is complaining about the new modal window I made because some of them have their monitor resolution set to 800x600 and the bottom bar is pushing up into the PDF or something.

Have you tried upgrading your Billing people?

• Options
    Echo wrote: »

Have you tried upgrading your Billing people?

Not covered by our insurance it seems. Bionic eyes would be awesome.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    I have now officially had enough of Visual Studio freezing up while I try to make XAML.

I've managed to get my head back into dealing with how it works, so now it only takes me five times longer to lay things out than it would with CSS, but I am very tired of having DevStudio just stop responding for tens of a second at a time because I made the terrible decision to try and switch tabs, or type XAML into a window, or hit 'build'. Ugh.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    have you moved to vstudio2017 community edition yet @djmitchella ?

I've noticed huge improvements in the XAML speed there

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    You're not using the designer are you? The first thing I tell new WPF developers to do is right click a XAML file, go to Open With..., select Source Code Editor and hit Set Default. The designer is utter shit for complicated applications with lots of templates and custom controls (e.g. most apps).

How the fuck do you guys web dev? How do you catch all these edge cases for views and stuff? Especially with modal windows there's just simply no way for me to draw this window using percentages.

Responsive design and CSS/DIV modals instead of actually opening a new window in JavaScript.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    You're not using the designer are you? The first thing I tell new WPF developers to do is right click a XAML file, go to Open With..., select Source Code Editor and hit Set Default. The designer is utter shit for complicated applications with lots of templates and custom controls (e.g. most apps).

Responsive design and CSS/DIV modals instead of actually opening a new window in JavaScript.

Yeah I'm using a bootstrap modal but for whatever reason I can't get the thing to size responsively.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Your problem is vertical, right? Bootstrap modals are responsive by default horizontally, but you're going to need to fuck around in the guts to change how they appear vertically.

• Options
    I'm wary of updating to VS2017 because, based on what's happened with previous upgrades, all the vcproj/sln files will change in subtle but source-control-detectable ways, and then if I try and commit anything everyone else will complain. (heck, it's already bad enough that the main .sln file has/doesn't have defaultcollection in SccAuxPath basically at random for different people, so 95% of the commits for that file are just noise).

And I'm writing XAML by hand rather than with drag-and-drop or whatever, but despite the hiccups, the preview is still quicker than launching the whole app and clicking through it to get the particular bit of UI I'm working on to show up.

• Options
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Your problem is vertical, right? Bootstrap modals are responsive by default horizontally, but you're going to need to fuck around in the guts to change how they appear vertically.

Yeah, and for whatever reason I just simply cannot get %'s to work correctly. In my head I can say "This div is 20% of the screen, this is 40%..." but when I apply that to the divs they don't size that way and i have to muck around with a ton of CSS to get it working.

• Options
    I guess now that I've got the time I can see if I can get it working properly.

• Options
    I'm wary of updating to VS2017 because, based on what's happened with previous upgrades, all the vcproj/sln files will change in subtle but source-control-detectable ways, and then if I try and commit anything everyone else will complain. (heck, it's already bad enough that the main .sln file has/doesn't have defaultcollection in SccAuxPath basically at random for different people, so 95% of the commits for that file are just noise).

And I'm writing XAML by hand rather than with drag-and-drop or whatever, but despite the hiccups, the preview is still quicker than launching the whole app and clicking through it to get the particular bit of UI I'm working on to show up.

I didn't notice any source code irregularities, but I have a visual studio based .gitignore too.

It works better as a whole.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Yeah, and for whatever reason I just simply cannot get %'s to work correctly. In my head I can say "This div is 20% of the screen, this is 40%..." but when I apply that to the divs they don't size that way and i have to muck around with a ton of CSS to get it working.

Is the %-based width actually the last property that's being applied or is it getting overwritten? When you inspect the element and look at the applied attributes is it still a percent? Sorry if this sounds patronizing, but I don't know your level of experience with CSS and want to make sure you're using all the tools you have available.

• Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular

I try not to do modals. Sometimes I'm not given a choice, at which time I remind people how painful it has been every other time we've used them, and then figure that's more billable hours for me in the long run. I super hate front end work because of all of that crap, though, and mostly manage to avoid it. I love doing the back end stuff... data modeling, performance stuff, more programming related parts of devops. Basically all the parts with no UI or with a UI which is only going to be used by other devs and I can just focus on awesome code.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    The only change we had to make in our project/sln files for moving to VS2017 was fixing a busted hand-edited line where someone assumed the MSBuild tool location to be in a specific version's location. Otherwise everything has proven forward/backwards compatible (though we haven't yet taken the step to upgrade the Typescript compiler from what VS2015 ships to what VS2017 ships).

• Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    The changes to finding where VS2017 is really nice and horrible all at the same time. I understand why they did it ( too allow multiple versions on the same machine ) but it still is annoying to get the new logic working correctly.

• Options
    admanb wrote: »

Is the %-based width actually the last property that's being applied or is it getting overwritten? When you inspect the element and look at the applied attributes is it still a percent? Sorry if this sounds patronizing, but I don't know your level of experience with CSS and want to make sure you're using all the tools you have available.

I can't remember at this point. I know that because I'm using React there are a ton of divs and stuff that are placed before the modal window so the % width doesn't work unless the top-most parent has a width, right?

Either way I found out they're using varying degree of resolutions (one woman has 1366x768 on her machine) so I told them that they'll have to just zoom in and out if they want things to be viewable.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    hm. This probably isn't helping VS's responsiveness: (this is at rest; app being debugged, but no activity in it)

AG4OXu7.png

(now, I have 16gb of memory in this machine so it's not like it's swapping or anything, but that still seems a bit excessive).

(edit: quit and restart, and it's down to a "more reasonable" 436mb of memory and ~5% CPU while debugging. But more importantly, I can now switch tabs and not have it thrash around for a while. I should probably have thought of that a while ago)

djmitchella on
  • Options
    ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    hm. This probably isn't helping VS's responsiveness: (this is at rest; app being debugged, but no activity in it)

AG4OXu7.png

(now, I have 16gb of memory in this machine so it's not like it's swapping or anything, but that still seems a bit excessive).

(edit: quit and restart, and it's down to a "more reasonable" 436mb of memory and ~5% CPU while debugging. But more importantly, I can now switch tabs and not have it thrash around for a while. I should probably have thought of that a while ago)

I also used to have massive problems with VS hitting the 32-bit 2GB limit back on a previous contract, where the solution had about 140 projects in it.

Right royal pain in the behind because things would start mysteriously failing or just hang.

I hope that my crash dumps eventually got back to the VS development team, and that they come out with a 64-bit IDE one day soon.

Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    the solution had about 140 projects in it

wat

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I hope that my crash dumps eventually got back to the VS development team, and that they come out with a 64-bit IDE one day soon.

Don't worry, they won't.

• Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    the solution had about 140 projects in it

wat

I should go load one of our "big" projects on VS with all options enabled. At one point I knew we crossed the 200 project barrier.

This is the same project that found bugs in some dynamic loaders by stack smashing them by loading too many libraries.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    yeah but

returning an empty string

but

what

why are you

oh no my knife why is it in my hand

I have had the following conversations:

- No, space is not empty, no I know you can't see it, space is a character.
    - No, null is not empty, yes I know they both in theory mean "nothing", just trust me that null is a something.
    - Yes, ALL the spaces, remove all of them. Just "". No, nothing in the middle. Yes it'll work.

I'm not going to say my career has made me a little pessimistic or anything, but I will say that when I start a job, I make sure my desk has room underneath to rock back and forth properly.

• Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    The big deliverable has been pushed back to open up room for development time. All the parts except mine, that is. Actually, I had a new deliverable appear before me like a damned pokemon. I have two weeks. This is after spending the month before easter working double time.

The crunch is real.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    today's adventures in embedded:
    boy this yocto/buildroot thing is taking a while, I guess I'll boot up the devkit board I was randomly handed to see what I can do...

> node
    node not installed

ok fine fair enough, I guess I'll just download it... cool cool they provide armv7 binaries, perfect!

> tar -xf node.tar.xz
    error: no command found: xz

oookay sure alright, embedded, bare bones, I've been here before. Any package managers installed? rpm - nope, deb - nope, opkg? nope, ipkg?? nope.

well shit, guess i'm building from source..

> ./configure
    make not found
    C compiler not found

I'm done with this for the day, don't quite fancy building gcc from source right now...

mightyjongyo on
  • Options
    dporowski wrote: »
    yeah but

but

what

why are you

- No, null is not empty, yes I know they both in theory mean "nothing", just trust me that null is a something.
    - Yes, ALL the spaces, remove all of them. Just "". No, nothing in the middle. Yes it'll work.

I'm not going to say my career has made me a little pessimistic or anything, but I will say that when I start a job, I make sure my desk has room underneath to rock back and forth properly.

In Ruby nil is an object! It has methods! Imagine trying to explain that to someone hellbent on resisting that knowledge.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    yeah but

but

what

why are you

In Ruby nil is an object! It has methods! Imagine trying to explain that to someone hellbent on resisting that knowledge.

Found that one out the hard way, actually.

I maintain the utter wrongness of that, by the way. Wrong. Ness.

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »
    yeah but

but

what

why are you

Found that one out the hard way, actually.

I maintain the utter wrongness of that, by the way. Wrong. Ness.

It's fantastic though. Want to check for nil, call "variable.nil?". Want to make sure your argument is a specific type? The common type conversion methods are defined on nilclass.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Well, good thing I only spent 30 minutes debugging my code before discovering my 14-day trial for that service expired and the free tier doesn't support the stuff that suddenly stopped working.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Is there any way to write a mysql query such that the condition can be compared without whitespace? I have a database that contains "Liam " (note the space) and "William", and I'm trying to come up with a query that allows someone to search for "liam" and get the "Liam " record back but not "William".

It's a super-rare edge case (1 name in a few dozen thousand), but it happens to be the test record for a stakeholder, so every time I make a change they tell me that search "doesn't work". If there's no good way to handle it I can go back to the stakeholder and tell them what the issue is, but if I can just make it work that'd be great.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    Trim might work for that @Delzhand

And most queries are case insensitive unless you go out of your way to make them case sensitive

Are the records stored with the space or are you sanitizing input with SQL queries?

• Options
    The caps are irrelevant - the issue is that the space is stored in the DB.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Is there any way to write a mysql query such that the condition can be compared without whitespace? I have a database that contains "Liam " (note the space) and "William", and I'm trying to come up with a query that allows someone to search for "liam" and get the "Liam " record back but not "William".

It's a super-rare edge case (1 name in a few dozen thousand), but it happens to be the test record for a stakeholder, so every time I make a change they tell me that search "doesn't work". If there's no good way to handle it I can go back to the stakeholder and tell them what the issue is, but if I can just make it work that'd be great.

I'd go with
    RTRIM(columnname) LIKE searchvalue + '%'

myself.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Like might be problematic in general

trim should take of the trailing whitespaces, but like has the potentiality of matching things like 'liamson' too

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    How is the search described? Is it supposed to be begins with or contains?

• Options
    edited April 2017
    If they search without quotes, it's contains. If they search with quotes, it should be an exact search (with the exception of leading/trailing whitespace). If TRIM(first_name) like searchvalue works, then that should do the trick.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    If it's contains without quotes, William is a desired search result for searching liam. TRIM should work, but be aware it will destroy any indexing in the process.

• Options
    YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    48c.jpg

AKA "Why the intern needs extra code reviews, and isn't allowed near anything more critical than string."

As a future intern I must protest. Even I saw that the requirement was for the string to be all lower case.
    FIXED:
    string returnString = "Empty";
    return returnString.ToLower();

I am in a weird mood today after learning that rather than turn in the project folder for my ASP project to be graded, I have to make a video talking about it and walking the teacher through the application.

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Well, work has been awful and grueling the past few weeks. Have been trying to use ~4th party's DAQ setup and GUI to perform high pressure testing, while controlling the test equipment with derelict pumps, valves, and fittings. The GUI is so bad that I think a legit argument could be made that it is physically dangerous to use for a simple hydrotest.

Sooo...armed with that knowledge I think I have managed to hit the pause button on the testing, long enough for me to make a new GUI with actual HMI design patterns, as well is getting usable test data from the DAQ and lab view software.

My long term game is to get my hands in the pie of developing engineering software and tools that could actually accomplish all of the buzzword bullshit that sales type dudes use to , well, sell bullshit.

Fingers crossed!

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    While searching twitter for the phrase "fuck regex" I found a bot that scrapes public git repo commit messages and retweets ones with swears

https://twitter.com/callouscommits
    Revert "fuck"

Is my favorite.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
This discussion has been closed.