As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[pbp] Ruins of Undermountain (D&D 5e) - ADVENTURE OVER!!! Thanks for Playing!

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Clearly. All I wanted was a nice bit of drama and tension. Halfling hiding under a table, his companions in the back gripping their weapons with beads of sweat running down their foreheads, fearful of being discovered at any moment...Appropriate heart pounding music playing in peoples heads... that sort of thing.

Now what are we (likely) to get? Conflict and Violence.

Sigh.

Bursar can roll an appropriate Charisma check, I suppose, to avoid being stabbed in the face. And I'm going to have to impose Disadvantage on you. These ain't no lazy Hobgoblin servants. These are Dark Elf Slave Masters and they know what's up.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Heh.

Geth, roll 2d20l1 for Charismatically not getting stabbed in the face

Charismatically not getting stabbed in the face:
    2d20l1 20 [2d20l1=[20], 20]

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    BOOYA

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    (Let me double-check that this dice command does what I think it does, because now I'm paranoid...)
    Geth, roll 2d10l1 for Lower Die Checking

Lower Die Checking:
    2d10l1 7 [2d10l1=[7], 10]

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Are you fucking kidding me? Your rolled a natural 20, with disadvantage????

Well shit...you can send that pretty boy elfy-elf on his way however you damn well please then. Narrate away and show us all how awesome Bursar is!

• Options
    (Your past couple of posts have been mixing up Barran for Bursar. I know I'm awesome. :P)

While down on his luck after one of his previous schemes had gone awry, Barran had once had to seek out (shudder) honest work to get by for a bit. This had been before the troubadour troupe, and Kay the crooked jeweller, and let's not forget the times with Meira (who had combined the Prestidigitation cantrip with a knowledge of horse anatomy to turn thirdhand nags into seemingly champion breedstock)... In any case, Barran knew how to play the part of the abused bar servant, and now made it a point to tip the waitstaff well wherever he went.

With gestures and minor physical violence, the Drow make their intentions clear: meals, now, and clean up the mess, immediately. Barran busies himself serving the two, running back and forth to the kitchen to provide food as long as the deep gnome dishes them out. He keeps up a steady bit of lighthearted chatter as he to and from the kitchen, though one might notice that the informational content of his steam-of-consciousness seems to get denser whenever he heads toward the back... "Yes, nothin' but the best for a pair of hardy warriors like yours-elves, eh? No, just my little joke, seein' as there's two of you who I would not want to mess with on my own, no sir, but it's just me and the little guy back here anyway..."

A lazy backhand from one of the eating Drow cuts off Barran's mouth as he approaches them with a flagon of river water, but he's able to roll with the blow to avoid being hurt. "Yes'm, shuttin' up'm, I'll leave you to enjoy your dinner." Barran clears up some of the empty dishes and takes them to the kitchen.

While the Drow are busy eating, Barran exits the kitchen and slips into the other room, where he immediately slides against the wall and quietly begins having a panic attack.

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Bursar wrote: »
    BOOYA

Looks like we know where the heck all our nat20s went! The rogue has been pickpocketing them...

am0n on
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    "See, Ay? If you pretend hard enough the enemy will think you're one of theirs!"

Salazar will offer the halfling the highest of high 5s.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    Which is still pretty low if you really think about it. :D

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Little bit of clarification: are we all in the same room? Separate from the drow? Could we hear everything going on outside?

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    At the moment, the party is in the pantry/"river" room where Barran just returned to (#6B), Neblin is in the kitchen (#6A), the Drow warriors are finishing their meal in the mess hall (#6). Dural was just about to leave 6B towards 6A and the delicious smells...

I purposefully ignored the fact that Barran travels with a glowing orb due to his Nat20. Lets say he left it in the pantry when he went to talk to Neblin.

Dungeon Map:
    Lady%20Zarrs%20Territory_zpsiiz8mkps.jpg

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Which is still pretty low if you really think about it. :D

You know...I'm a little put out that this joke did not work on the multiple levels that it was intended to. Not only was it short joke, but it was also a joke about how people with height disadvantages are always being held to taller standards. And that taller peoples are looking down on them. I had a vision of Salazar holding his hand *way* up there for Barran to high-five, and the little Halfling jumping up over and over again to hit it but failing. A short joke with some biting social commentary underneath. Alas, you people just don't know from funny. :rotate:

Anyway.... what's next, team? Wait for the Drow to finish up and leave? Attack them while they are eating?

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Sniff sniff, twitches the dwarf's nose as he wanders by, seeking out the source of whatever they might be cooking. It's not until Barran rushes out and past that Dural pauses in his step, scratching his head with a perplexed expression on his face. "The food really be that bad? Smell be wonderful, I thought."

Characters
  • Options
    Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    (I assume Barran gives us the lowdown on the Drow)

"Perhaps we could track them back to Zarr's lair,"
    muses Philo. "That would cut out some difficulties for us..."

• Options
    Shrugging, the dwarf continues on down the hall and steps into the kitchen, searching for the source of the grub he swore he smelled. Now and then a pot or pan clanks as he's still not entirely sure what he's looking for, but by god there's bound to be an edible something or other in here somewhere that isn't Carp.

Characters
  • Options
    Neblin's eyes widen in alarm as Dural steps into the kitchen. The look on his face a mixture of "What in the Nine Hells are you doing here?" and "My god! Don't you people know how to stay hidden?".

While the two Drow are eating their own meals after sending Barran running, Neblin has been busy putting together a few more plates onto some covered trays. Seems as if these guards are taking some food back to the rest of the Dark Elves and they could return at any minute!

More importantly however, it smells wonderful in here. Neblin has been busy sauteeing those strange mushrooms you saw earlier with some strips of cured beef? (deep rothe, or the underdark equivalent of a bison/ox, if Dural chooses to be familiar with the animal). Dural is sure if he rummages around some that he can fix himself up a plate with the leftovers.

The two Drow are still eating their meals not so very far away. Depending on how @Aegis wants to play this...I'll leave it up to him to judge whether or not a Dex/Stealth check is appropriate here. :)

• Options
    The dwarf's face lights up as the kitchen smells wonderful, assaulting his senses for once in a pleasant way, unlike the rest of the dungeon which has tried to drown him in filth, dust, dirt, and ooze. He barely registers Neblin's shocked face at first, beelining straight towards the cured beef. "Durnan'd be jealous," he starts, adding idle chitchat as he gauges which particular mushroom will go great with this slice of juicy beef-ish, "Well, maybe not of all the things down here tryin' to kill us. But 'tis a great job you've managed here, in any event. Oi, you alright? Ye seen a ghost or something?" He finally recognizes some alarm in Neblin's face, which to the dwarf ascribes to the large fungal cap he's holding in his hand, clearly substandard, which he then tosses aside gingerly before rummaging around for a replacement.

I don't know if the oblivious dwarf is going to be particularly stealthy.

Characters
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    If Dural is even making any attempt at subtlety then we'll let the check slide.

If he was stomping around, uncaring as to the consequences, then I'd ask for a check.

It's more a question, in my mind, of how you wanted to RP it.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    From the map, I'm operating under the "Dural has no idea that Drow are in the other room" position, since the mess hall's pretty far away from the dead-end room we were all in at the end. And Barran just ran past and collapsed without a word, which he's attributing to Haflings Are Weird.

But he's not like, throwing pots and pans around.

Characters
  • Options
    Barran was loudly commenting on how there were two Drow warriors eating their dinner in there every time he came down the hall from the kitchen to the mess hall, but Dwarves aren't known for picking up on subtlety. ;)

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Listen, the dwarf couldn't hear you over the smell of the not-a-trail-ration cooking. Totally understandable.

Characters
  • Options
    Hmm.

I'll admit, fellas.....I don't really know what you want right now. Do you want a place to hole up for a Short Rest and plan your next move? 'Cuz I'm trying to give you one. Or do you want another fight? Because somebody cough, Dural, cough seems spoiling for fisticuffs. And the rest of you are oddly quiet...

I am ready to roll either way, but because I can't read your faces at the table, I'm not quite sure which way to go and that direction is kinda what I need more advancing the scene further...probably right into another conflict, so don't worry about missing out on the action.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    I was kind of hoping to do a little sneaking, follow the Drow back to their lair, and get my murder on.

Mongrel Idiot on
  • Options
    I'm not fisticuffing! I'm making a sandwich!

Characters
  • Options
    After a couple of rousing bouts of RPing to defuse the immediate danger of discovery, I wanted the rest of the group to have a say in what we're doing next.

@Mongrel Idiot , keep in mind that we'd be attempting to follow two extremely paranoid people who can see in the dark, while the likes of Philo and Barran will (probably) need light to stay on their trails. I mean, Barran could ride Ay Master Blaster style, I guess. :D

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    I might be able to track their Trails with help from my deity, though I don't recommend this course of action.

Characters
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Heh. Your sandwich making is dangerously close to drawing fisticuffs. I mean, who microwaves some popcorn when hiding in the closet from the serial killers? :)

And Bursar kinda stole my next point....you guys are more than welcome to trail the Drow...just as long as you've given thought to what's involved. Following a Dark Elf. Silently. Underground.... Are you sure you're up for that? You got this...

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    The GM just said "Are you sure..."
    So... since it looks like you may soon have some openings to fill, is there a sign up sheet?

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    // Salazar will want a long rest. He's in no shape to go up against a crack drow squad. Not sure if we can have one; if we freed the two dudes down here maybe that'll buy us more respect in the inn?

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Sorry for not being more around the last few days. Ay could totally use a rest, at least a short one. However, since the dwarf has already starting this ball rolling, let's see what a clumsy elf can do to turn it up to 11.

Seeing the look on Barran's face and listening to his mutter about dark elves in the mess hall, Ay takes it upon himself to try and warn the dwarf. He makes his way out into the hall, peering down into the dining area. He can hear the noise, but it looks like the dark elves have, fortunately, taken to a table just out of eye sight. Sneaking carefully to the kitchen area, Ay turns the corner and slides into the room. He's not really sure what to make of the scene. The rest of the party, exhausted and huddling in the back room, which Dural is stuffing his face with a .... mushroom sandwich? "Dural," he says in a quiet yet forceful tone, "There are dark elves in the dining area. What are you doing? None of us are in any state to pick another fight and you are dangerously close to alerting a small contingent of Zarr's minions as to our location."

I didn't roll a stealth, since I assume I am being at least more stealthy than the dwarf, but if you want me to, let me know.

am0n on
  • Options
    A long rest, here anyway, is out of the question. The pile of dead bodies in the next room, and the one around the corner, is only one reason. You are welcome to try, but I'll tell you right now that I will hammer you for it. The other reason is that, IIRC, you can only gain of the effects of long rest once every 24 hours or so. And to be generous...maybe 4 hours have elapsed since you started your day descending the well. 5 tops. I don't hold well with the "10 minute adventuring day". If you want to leave, head back up the well and spend some time in Waterdeep and then take a Long Rest, then no problem. But there is no guarantee that things will not change when/if you return. Undermountain doesn't stay on "pause" if you leave and come back later. That Yawning Portal is your home base. You can always find respite there.

@see317 - You are more than welcome to roll up a PC and send it to me via PM. I don't know how active it still is after all these months, but there is a waiting list you can jump onto. Thanks for following along and showing interest!

Ay does not need to make a stealth check, no. But there is no telling when the drow are coming back.

Neblin rolls his eyes when the elf enters the kitchen, and hurriedly begins packing up the food on a few trays. Presumably to take them out to the Drow and head off any attempt of theirs to reenter the kitchen. It would be best if you were not here if that does happen.

Dural's cured rothe and fungi sandwich is fuckin' delicious though...

• Options
    edited March 2017
    The dwarf is lounging around in the kitchen by now with the most contented face you'll ever see. Hell, if there was good ale in reach, anyone looking at him would either think he'd died and gone to heaven or be afraid that he'd immediately launch into a drinking ditty. It's not until Ay makes his way into the kitchen, wary and confused, and begins to wave to the elf until Ay starts in with the warning, that Dural's mood is almost immediately changed. Halfway through a bite in his sandwich, he nearly chokes at the sudden warning of enemies in the very next room, dropping his hastily scavenged snack, smacking his stomach in an effort to make the last bite go down a bit smoother, while flailing around for his hammer. "Did...are we...what's goin' on? Why didn't anyone tell me?" He whispers when closer to Ay, his eyes now darting this way and that for signs of the aforementioned enemies, "I was in th'back, seein' naught but the halfling runnin' himself out o'breath."

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    "The hafling did warn you... were you not listening? Hurry, we have to sneak back there while the gnomish creature keeps them distracted. Follow me, and try to be silent." Ay then goes to the entrance, again checking down the hallway and if still clear, makes his way back to the room with the rest of his group.

Assuming nothing eventful happens...

Once back in the room with the dwarf, "We should seal this room or something if we can, prevent us from being found and maybe catching our breathes for a bit."

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    see317 - You are more than welcome to roll up a PC and send it to me via PM. I don't know how active it still is after all these months, but there is a waiting list you can jump onto. Thanks for following along and showing interest!

Okay, let's see if Geth wants me to go point buy, or if he'll give me useful stats to play with...

Geth, roll 6#4d6k3

Edit: Good enough to work with. Is Volo's guide fair game?

6#4d6k3 6 # 16 [4d6k3=[6, 5, 5], 1] 12 [4d6k3=[5, 4, 3], 2] 14 [4d6k3=[6, 6, 2], 2] 11 [4d6k3=[5, 4, 2], 2] 8 [4d6k3=[4, 3, 1], 1] 14 [4d6k3=[6, 5, 3], 2]

see317 on
  • Options
    Not really...since I don't have that book and wanted to keep the splat low...but if you are willing to go out of your way and explain to me what the option(s) are you want to choose from Volo's Guide then OK.

• Options
    Elf and Dwarf together hustle back to the pantry as fast and as quietly as possible. Just in the nick of time too, as they round the corner they can hear the dark elves calling out for Neblin.

The rest of the party is anxiously hiding in the back, amongst the crates of supplies and the private nook that Angus had built for himself as a place to sleep. "The damn water makes me want ta pee all the time" he had said earlier. Right now however, Angus is quite nervous. He's supposed to be out there right now, chained at the leg, cleaning up the mess in the dining area.

Finally...after what seems like forever, the diminutive deep gnome enters the back room. His face swollen and lip split from where one of the Drow abused him for keeping an unclean eating area. A very stern look across his face as he glares at you, clearly upset at you pesky adventurers for upending his situation here. Yes, he's a slave but Angus took the brunt of the abuse and Neblin is more prized. Finally, he speaks, launching into an angry tirade in his native language. Directed at you. It still sounds like he's talking about rocks through a mouthful of rocks, but unlike dwarven it carries a melodious tone and a hint of a lilt.

Seeing that he's not getting though he tries again in Drow, of which Ay catches maybe 1 word in 10 ("Yup. He's upset."). Still not seeing much in comprehension, he throws up his hands and curses you all with a very bad word in Infernal. Salazar can point out that he just essentially called all of you "angels who coddle their babies with love and devotion throughout all of their lives", which doesn't really sound so bad...but considering the source language it is a terrible thing to call someone.

OK! The danger has passed for the moment. If you choose, the party can take a Short Rest safely here in the "river" room. Barran whips out his copied map of the area and you all gather around plotting your next move...You are all now in Room 6B. Room 4 was the ready room for Zarr's Army, 5 was the Basilisk Room, 7 was the language class room and Angus points out that rooms 8 are the slave pens, now probably empty. He's not too sure of the rest. Neblin also is not too much help. You'd think he would know more....but part of this game is exploration, damnit! Explore!

Dungeon Map:
    Lady%20Zarrs%20Territory_zpsiiz8mkps.jpg

And in case it never occurred to you....you can exit Undermountain through the water portal too. By swimming obviously and nobody (not even me!) has any idea where you'd end up.

• Options
    Scratching his chin, Philo ponders the map. "If I were planning to be here a while, I'd plan around defending my camp," he says. "And given what we know, I should think these rooms are most defensible." The stabs his finger down on the rooms just south of the slave pens, marked with a 9. "The war room, the slave pens, and the classroom would all provide an early warning of any attack, and there's plenty of corridor south and east of them to provide warning from the other direction. I say we rest up, let Sal get his best magic back, and then see what Drow we can find to send back to whatever god they worship."

• Options
    And in case it never occurred to you....you can exit Undermountain through the water portal too. By swimming obviously and nobody (not even me!) has any idea where you'd end up.[/b][/color]

Why do you tempt us so?!

Feeling not too worn out, "I agree a small breather is in order, but we probably shouldn't linger here for any extended period of time. We already dodged a tricky situation, and there is no clear retreat for us here... unless we chance wherever those water portals go... so we'd likely not want to get trapped here. I think we should check the slave pens. There is always a chance, as our new friend suggests, that there is no one left, but if there is, we should do what we can to get them free. Plus, that'll set Zarr back a bit more if we can."

• Options
    Its my job to tempt you into Certain Doom! Fortune & Glory!

• Options
    Oh man, if Fortune and Glory is through that portal...