As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[pbp] Ruins of Undermountain (D&D 5e) - ADVENTURE OVER!!! Thanks for Playing!

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Thak, probably waiting for the Troll to be weakened some more, is refraining from charging into the fray and is content to stick towards the rear of the group. He steps north a few paces and warily eyes the Troll. Knowing that the application of that much fire will likely bring it charging around the statue.

@am0n 's turn. He should be back this weekend so lets let him control his own PC this time.

Map:
    Hall%20of%20Three%20Kings%20-%20Round%202_zpszvmrydki.jpg

Stats:
    Ay (O9) - AC: 16, HP: 17+5, Inspiration, Shield of Faith (+2AC)
    Troll (P9) - AC: 15. HP: 43, Multiattack, Regenerates 10HP per turn unless Fire/Acid [Total from fire/acid: 3]
    Dural (N8) - AC: 18, HP: 31+5
    Barran (K7 )- AC: 15, HP: 20+5
    Philo - AC: 18, HP: 25+5 (2 superiority dice)
    Salazar (N4) - AC: 14, HP: 23+5
    Thak (M5) - AC: 13, HP: 15

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    So unless this troll can move faster than a troll normally can, I'm good, right? :P

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    evilthecat wrote: »
    So unless this troll can move faster than a troll normally can, I'm good, right? :P

I don't remember the speed of a Troll at the moment, but I think I can get there. 8-)

• Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Back! Sorry about that, but vacation called. Glad to see I'm not 100% dead and that I've managed to keep you all on your toes even when away! ;)

Also, turns out troll claws >> monk fists. Just sayin'.

Grabbing hold of Dural's hammer to brace himself, Ay mutters something about "default AI" before responding to the dwarf. "Noted," he says, turning his attention back to the troll, spitting a bit of blood from his mouth. The flames from the tiefling seem to have slowed the closure of the creature's wounds and Ay decides to try again.

Action: Attack Troll
    Bonus: Spend 1 Ki to Flurry of Blows.
    * If one hits, the troll cannot take reactions until the end of Ay's next turn
    * If two hit, the troll cannot take reactions until the end of Ay's next turn AND the troll must make a Dex ST vs. DC 13 or fall prone
    Move: If one FoB hit, Ay will move away to O5 and get some cover behind the statue... even with 5 THP and +2 AC, I'd rather not take another triple attack to the face! If one doesn't hit, I'll hunker down.

Reaction: Deflect Arrow (if any have a ranged weapon), Attack of Opportunity otherwise

Assuming Salazaar took the Advantage from Philo's attack, but then again, rolling 4d20 to attack is pretty epic to begin with! ;)

Geth roll 1d20+5 for Attack QStaff
    Geth roll 1d8+3 for Damage QStaff
    Geth roll 1d20+5 for Attack Unarmed 1
    Geth roll 1d4+3 for Damage Unarmed 1
    Geth roll 1d20+5 for Attack Unarmed 2
    Geth roll 1d4+3 for Damage Unarmed 2

Attack QStaff:
    1d20+5 10 [1d20=5]
    Damage QStaff:
    1d8+3 10 [1d8=7]
    Attack Unarmed 1:
    1d20+5 6 [1d20=1]
    Damage Unarmed 1:
    1d4+3 7 [1d4=4]
    Attack Unarmed 2:
    1d20+5 14 [1d20=9]
    Damage Unarmed 2:
    1d4+3 7 [1d4=4]

am0n on
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Ay makes a sweeping motion with his staff against the creature, but only connects with solid muscle on the leg. Rebounding back, he scales the creature, planting one foot in the pit of the creatures elbow before unleashing a solid roundhouse kick to its face. The attack connects, but seems to have no effect on the creature. Stunned himself, Ay braces for another round of assault.

Everything missed, so Ay will stand still.
    Ay (O9) - AC: 16, HP: 17+5, Ki: 1/3, Inspiration, Shield of Faith (+2AC)
    Troll (P9) - AC: 15. HP: 43, Multiattack, Regenerates 10HP per turn unless Fire/Acid [Total from fire/acid: 3]
    Salazar (N4) - AC: 14, HP: 23+5

@Steelhawk

Edit: Turns out they all missed. Updated to reflect that.

am0n on
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Writhing in pain, the Troll surges away from the elves and dwarves and humans (oh my!) harassing it and makes a bee-line towards Salazar. Flames still licking its warty skin, it is quite the sight as the huge beast rounds the southernmost statue, jaws agape and claws out.

Although he would never admit it, Salazar pales as he realizes he should have taken just one more step to stay out of range of the furious Troll. The last sensations Salazar feels is the hot, disgusting spittle on his face and the searing pain of teeth and claws. Then nothing.

Move: Run around the statue to O4

Philo & Dural are free to use their reactions to make opportunity attacks if they choose...

Attacks: Unloads on the hurty fire tiefling...

Geth, roll 1d20+7 for Bite vs Salazar
    Geth, roll 1d6+4 for Bite Damage
    Geth, roll 1d20+7 for Claw 1
    Geth, roll 2d6+4 for Claw 1 Damage
    Geth, roll 1d20+7 for Claw 2
    Geth, roll 2d6+4 for Claw 2 Damage

Sorry, no time today at work to update the map. Only change is that the Troll moved and is now eating Salazar's face.

Stats:
    Troll (O4) - AC: 15. HP: 43, Multiattack, Regenerates 10HP per turn unless Fire/Acid damage taken that turn
    Salazar (N4) - AC: 14, HP: 0

@Aegis

Bite vs Salazar:
    1d20+7 16 [1d20=9]
    Bite Damage:
    1d6+4 7 [1d6=3]
    Claw 1:
    1d20+7 27 [1d20=20]
    Claw 1 Damage:
    2d6+4 11 [2d6=1, 6]
    Claw 2:
    1d20+7 23 [1d20=16]
    Claw 2 Damage:
    2d6+4 10 [2d6=2, 4]

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Cheaty Troll! Anyway, I'm still using Shield on reaction, negating the Bite.

Salazar looks up at the troll and wonders if it speaks common.
    "Err. Parley?"

Stats:
    Salazar (N4) - AC: 19, HP: 7

evilthecat on
  • Options
    How is the Troll cheating? Honest question...I did not think I did anything wrong there.

• Options
    Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Does anybody know offhand if Maneuvering Attack requires a bonus action? If it doesn't, and I can hit with an attack of opportunity, I should be able to get Salazar far enough away that the Troll can't get him. If it does, I'll give up my attack for a Shove attempt and try to trip the Troll.

I'd check myself but my PHB is at home.

Mongrel Idiot on
  • Options
    @Steelhawk Does Ay get an OOA since he ended up staying still?

• Options
    edited July 2016
    @Mongrel Idiot Assuming you meant Maneuvering Attack, it makes no mention of a bonus action. Just says when you hit a creature with a weapon attack you can expend a superiority die, increase damage by the die roll and choose a friendly who can see or hear you and they can use their reaction to move half their speed without provoking from the target of your attack. I think if you hit, you'd be good to have Salazaar flee before the troll makes it there.

am0n on
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    As the troll lumbers past, Philo lashes out, hacking at the beast's leg in an attempt to slow it down. "SAL!" he barks. "GET THE LEAD OUT!"

Reaction: Attack of opportunity on the troll. If it hits, use Maneuvering Attack on Salazar.

Edit: Hot dang! Sal can move up to half his speed.

Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Attack of opportunity
    Geth, roll 1d8+2 for Damage
    Geth, roll 1d8 for Superiority die maybe

Troll (P9) - AC: 15. HP: 32, Multiattack, Regenerates 10HP per turn unless Fire/Acid [Total from fire/acid: 3]
    Philo (O8) - AC: 18, HP: 25+5 (1 superiority dice)

Attack of opportunity:
    1d20+4 15 [1d20=11]
    Damage:
    1d8+2 7 [1d8=5]
    Superiority die maybe[/color]:
    1d8 4 [1d8=4]

Mongrel Idiot on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Probably Steelhawk ruling, but Maneuvering Attack specifies "when you hit with a weapon attack" as opposed to Commander's Strike "When you take the Attack action," and everything I'm reading suggests the former means "any time you attack with a weapon", so you could Maneuvering Attack on an AoO.

Also I don't see how the Troll could at any point be within my reach to provoke an AoO from running out, so I'm not sure what Dural would be swinging at.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    How is the Troll cheating? Honest question...I did not think I did anything wrong there.

It's fine. technically he moved further than a MM troll can (30ft, each 2nd diagonal movement is counted as double). It's early days, I don't want to be the meta-gaming munchkin (yet).

Mongrel: you can use maneuvers on opportunity attacks. if an attack or ability states you require an action or bonus action to use it then you cannot. maneuvering strike requires a weapon attack, so you're all good.
    No idea what an OOA is, if you mean opportunity attack then all that costs is your reaction and requires a monster to move away from you of its own volition.

That's RAW though, steelhawk has the final say (sorry for the backseat DMing/rules singing, steelhawk, I'm just wanting to keep the play going, if it's not okay just let me know).

• Options
    edited July 2016
    I think he meant Ay, since I was next to the troll and didn't move. I'm going to roll, to keep things moving in case he did mean me. If not, ignore the roll.

Watching Philo hack the the creature's leg, Ay follows suit, his staff crashing squarely into the laceration from Philo's sword.

Reaction: AOO on Troll

Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Attack QStaff
    Geth, roll 1d8+3 for Damage QStaff

Troll (P9) - AC: 15. HP: 28, Multiattack, Regenerates 10HP per turn unless Fire/Acid [Total from fire/acid: 3]
    Philo - AC: 18, HP: 25+5 (1 superiority dice)

I didn't update Salazar's HP. I'll leave that to @Steelhawk or @evilthecat .

Attack QStaff:
    1d20+5 16 [1d20=11]
    Damage QStaff:
    1d8+3 4 [1d8=1]

am0n on
  • Options
    it's getting messy now! xD

Steel, depending on how you want to handle this, my preference would be to move AWAY from the troll to my max distance (k4 if he rounds the bend to the left). If this is all no bueno, I'd still like to Shield myself and negate the bite.

• Options
    Ooh, yeah, I probably should have waited for Steel's ruling before jumping the gun. Sorry about that! I got a little excited. If there's no maneuver on an attack of opportunity, I'll just take the swing at the troll. I will still, however, offer advice to Sal as to where to put the lead.

• Options
    I guess that is a good question to square away early. Are diagonals 10 ft or 5 (or even 7?). I am used to 4E where diagonals are the same as all the others, but this edition specifically calls out feet or movement instead of squares.

As for the troll, he could be a custom creature. ;) He took the Mobile feat at level 4 and got 10 extra feet of movement!

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Diagonal movement doesn't cost double if you're using a grid, unless you use an Optional rule in the DMG that specifically says double diagonals cost double movement:

Variant: Playing on a Grid

Entering a Square: To enter a square, you must have at least 1 square of movement left, even if the square is diagonally adjacent to the square you're in. (The rule for diagonal movement sacrifices realism for the sake of smooth play. The DMG provides guidance on using a more realistic approach).

Characters
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Woah...hold on. When did they go back to diagonals costing extra movement?

If that is so, then this whole discussion is a moot point as the Troll cannot get there. But I thought 5e they did away with this annoying diagonals costing extra movement bullshit? I need to look this up...

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Aegis wrote: »
    Diagonal movement doesn't cost double if you're using a grid, unless you use an Optional rule in the DMG that specifically says double diagonals cost double movement:

Entering a Square: To enter a square, you must have at least 1 square of movement left, even if the square is diagonally adjacent to the square you're in. (The rule for diagonal movement sacrifices realism for the sake of smooth play. The DMG provides guidance on using a more realistic approach).

We need a ruling on it, basically. If you're playing on a grid without the variant rule then there's little reason to move non-diagonally.

edit: grey!

evilthecat on
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    LOL. I believe in the "default" rules, you move feet, not squares... so "diagonal" movement would cost more since sq(5^2+5^2) = 7 (.07) and not 5. However, as Aegis mentioned, the optional rule for grid removes that and treats it like 4E for a simpler set of rules. You could really do anything you want... diagonals are 10, 7 (since we have feet and not squares of movement) or just 5. Whatever you want, you are the DM. I think it'd just be good to nail it down now. Personally I am a fan of squares and diagonals costing 5 ft, because I like simple, but I can do any of the options.

Edit: This will also come up when it comes to Spells, since many of them have radius of feet and not squares. So we should probably nail down how a radius is going to work (square blast like 4E or something differently shaped based on diagonals being further).

am0n on
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    This discussion isn't moot, because we're answering questions that are sure to come up elsewhere. :)

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    evilthecat wrote: »
    Aegis wrote: »

We need a ruling on it, basically. If you're playing on a grid without the variant rule then there's little reason to move non-diagonally.

edit: grey!

Well there's plenty of reason to move non-diagonally, specifically in this very encounter, because of the presence of so many pieces of blocking terrain (the statues) preventing you from moving diagonally past their corners.

See also: the reason why I couldn't reach the troll on my last turn.

Characters
  • Options
    I'm a fan of diagonals not costing more movement because then I get to do my badass Maneuvering Attack thing and feel like Mr. Cool Guy for the rest of the day and make my wife question why she married me when I tell her all about it.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    I'm a fan of diagonals not costing more movement because then I get to do my badass Maneuvering Attack thing and feel like Mr. Cool Guy for the rest of the day and make my wife question why she married me when I tell her all about it.

My wife gives me the same "that's nice dear" when I tell her about my games, too.

And as Aegis said, hard corners tend to be important, so yet another thing to add some clarification to. For instance, moving from I10 to H9 is a hard corner, so to me that requires 2 squares (10 feet) of movement, since you can't move diagonally. Likewise, if the bases of the statues fill up the squares they are in and are 5 feet high, they probably count as hard corners, too, and can't be moved diagonally past.

Does this edition have cover around hard corners? There are rules for cover, but is a hard corner considered half-cover (+2 ac/dex)?

I don't want to get into a rules lawyering thing. I'll play whatever rules you find work for you, @Steelhawk . It just seems we may want to clarify a few details now so we don't continue to run into this down the road.

am0n on
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Three-quarters cover (one step up from half-cover) is +5 AC/DEX and Total Cover is Can't Be Targeted Directly.

Cover determination's still the old "draw lines from the corner to the any of the other creature's corners" mess.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options

it's badass either way!
    half cover is anything that covers half your body.
    there's also three quarter cover for +5.

• Options

OK! Good discussion team! My rulings are thus:

We will be using, even on a grid, the "simple" method as presented in the PHB because counting extra squares for diagonal movement, mathematical accuracy be damned, is for suckers!

Salazar would indeed become Troll food EXCEPT! Philo pulls off his fancy opportunity attack and it goes off as intended. In this case of Maneuvering Attack I do not see any appreciable difference between weapon attack and melee attack. The Troll is delayed just bit and Salazar can move half his speed (assuming away from the Troll) and avoids the Troll's attacks. His reaction is spent though.

(To correct myself, it should be Philo and Ay that are eligible for attacks, as Dural does not have a reach weapon.)

And for the record, I have no problem with rules questions or discussion. Its how we learn! Game on!

Stats:
    Troll (O4) - AC: 15. HP: 28, Multiattack, Regenerates 10HP per turn unless Fire/Acid damage taken that turn
    Salazar (O8) - AC: 14, HP: 23+5

@Aegis - Dural is up!

• Options
    "Aye, that's the spirit! Wait, where in the bloody hell is it going?!" is what can be heard from the other side of the statue as the dwarf's tenor changes from rally-raising praise to exasperation as the large beast runs around the statue out of his sight again. Exhaling once, Dural hefts his hammer and breaks into a trot, picking up speed as he rounds the corner of the statue, and as much as you can call a dwarf sprint "running", he barrels into the side of the Troll hammer first. Aiming for the beast's legs, he focuses most of the force of his charge into knocking the creature down to the ground.

Move: Q5.
    Action: Shove the Troll, knocking it Prone. This is resisted by an opposing Athletics / Acrobatics check of the target's choice.
    Reaction: Bugger's within 5 ft now! If it makes an attack on anyone but me, I'll impose Disadvantage on its attack.

minion roll 1d20+4 for Shove (Athletics)

Shove (Athletics):
    1d20+4 13 [1d20=9]

Characters
  • Options
    Geth, roll 1d20+4 to resist Shove

to resist Shove:
    1d20+4 22 [1d20=18]

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Tapping his helmet a few times for good measure, Dural quickly tries to reassess the situation, "Did I get it? Did I get it? Hold on...did I run into that bleedin' elf statue again?"

Stats:
    Troll (O4) - AC: 15. HP: 28, Multiattack, Regenerates 10HP per turn unless Fire/Acid damage taken that turn
    Dural (Q5) - AC: 18, HP: 31+5

@Bursar

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    Barran watches in horror as the troll begins to lumber towards Salazar with terrible speed, barely slowed by Philo's quick thinking. The beast clearly had a hatred of magic, so... obviously, that's what he should keep using against it.

The question is, of course, whether it is in his best interest to keep flinging his piddling fireworks at the thing when the tiefling obviously outclasses him in that regard. However, Barron thought back to what he'd heard from some human or another over a pint at the pub. Fighting monsters is not a thing that halflings are particularly known for aside from legends, so Barran had had to seek out information from other, more adventurous races.

"The trick to fightin' trolls, is, is..." the woman had said, waiving a hand expansively, "It's simple as ABC. Always Be Cookin'. Like a good stew, you gotta keep 'em over a fire until it's done. But stews don't get back up and tear yer head off if you don't let 'em simmer long enough."

Well, that answers that. Though Barran thinks himself a steadier hand with the bow than with the flame, it was probably better to keep trying to use his fire on it. Salazar looks like he might have his hands full for the next few moments just staying out of the troll's reach, and somebody has to keep this pot aboil.

Minion, roll 1d20+4 for Fire Bolt.
    Minion, roll 1d10 for Fire Damage.

Fire Bolt:
    1d20+4 10 [1d20=6]
    Fire Damage:
    1d10 7 [1d10=7]

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Damn! The fire bolt goes wide, scorching the wall behind the troll.
    Barran is pretty sure that the troll only has eyes for the tiefling right now, but they can't play ring-a-ring-the-rosie around the statue all night. Barran resummons his Mage Hand to his side and hands it the bag of caltrops he had gathered from the orcs' campfire. If things go on much longer, they might be of use...

Cunning Action: Mage Hand control

@Mongrel Idiot is up!

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Philo rushes after the beast, shield raised, quickly scanning the room as he goes to keep up on where his allies are. Spotting Thak, lurking at the edge of the fight, he bellows "ORC GET YOUR GREEN HIDE IN HERE, DAMN YOU!" Hope he got the point. Reaching the Troll, he slashes at its eyes and bangs his sword on his shield, calling "Hey! Hey, beast! Here, here in front of you! Dance with me, beast, and I'll twirl you a pretty waltz!"

Move: I've lost track of where the Troll is, so I'm not sure the exact square I'm heading for. I want to get somewhere that will be likely to force an attack of opportunity if the Troll tries to move away from me.
    Action: Attack the Troll. If the attack hits, use Distracting Strike.
    Reaction: Attack of Opportunity if it tries to move away; grant protection to an ally if it tries to attack without moving.

Edit: Woo! Got it's attention. Next attack against it has advantage. I'm out of cool tricks until we do a short rest, unfortunately.

Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Attack the troll
    Geth, roll 1d8+2 for Longsword damage
    Geth, roll 1d8 for Distracting Strike damage

Troll (O4) - AC: 15. HP: 20, Multiattack, Regenerates 10HP per turn unless Fire/Acid damage taken that turn
    Philo - AC: 18, HP: 25+5 (0 superiority dice)

Attack the troll:
    1d20+4 22 [1d20=18]
    Longsword damage:
    1d8+2 5 [1d8=3]
    Distracting Strike damage:
    1d8 3 [1d8=3]

Mongrel Idiot on
  • Options
    @evilthecat , you're up with advantage on your first attack.

• Options
    @Bursar were you hidden? Does that give you advantage on your attack? Not sure how Hidden works in 5E.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    I'll post properly in an hour or so, but it would help to know where you are @Mongrel Idiot. The troll is occupying o4-p5. The dwarf is at q5. I want to setup thak and some arsonry.

evilthecat on
  • Options
    Thanks; that clears up the lay of the land a bit. My move would be to N5, pinning the troll between Dural and I.

• Options
    I will update the map as soon as I can find some time today, but your locations are accurate in the last stat block I recently posted, plus whatever movement has occurred since then.

@evilthecat - where did Salazar end up after Philo allowed him to move?