As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[pbp] Ruins of Undermountain (D&D 5e) - ADVENTURE OVER!!! Thanks for Playing!

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Angus frowns, sure that he's missing something. "Well, c'mon then. Neblin is well on 'is way ta gettin' that fish cleaned up fer dinner. Did ye find a way outta here, or should we be makin' ourselves comfy?"

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Now that the excitement's died down, Barran will give the area something of a critical eye, looking at one thing in particular: has the water level gone down at all after those panels opened in the floor to let the undead in? If the water has a way out, it might be a way out for them as well.

Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Perception.

Perception:
    1d20+5 25 [1d20=20]

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Barran's sharp eye notices that the water level has gone down! About 1/2 an inch, probably less once the water settles down and becomes placid again, just enough to fill up whatever niches the Drowned were stored in.

What his sharp eye also notices is the tipped back head of the fish-man statue, the three dowels that held the rings...and the fourth stub set into a slot, this one obviously a switch.

• Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    evilthecat wrote: »
    // Prone kinda dicks ranged people over but I can live with it; that mob won't be reaching me next round and once I have fireball it'll have disadvantage on it's dex saving throw.

"See, that's why I stripped down. You'll be picking Ghoul brains from your armor for weeks.
    Say Barran, did you find anything of note whilst examining that statue?"

That's the jist of what I was saying. It doesn't really dick ranged over, just requires some slight changes to tactics. Ranged can still get advantage vs. Prone if you engage, and by staying next to the defenders you can engage with only a small amount of risk.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    The dwarf labours his way slowly out of the water, stopping occasionally to check his hammer and wash off bits of Drowned guts and pieces. Leaning against the wall, he prods various pieces of his armour, letting out streams of water and muck that have accumulated in various pockets. "One of us be workin' on it," he nods in Barran's general direction, "Yell if'n more o'the dead crawl out of that lake. I'll just be drainin' o'er here for a while."

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Barran waffles for a bit, debating internally whether chancing another wave of undead is worth the risk of further investigation, but with everybody standing at the ready, what's the harm? He tucks the rings into a hidden pouch sewn in his underclothes and checks out the cavity in the statue's head once more.

Luckily, none of the other party members can see Barran's face from this angle, because he can't stop himself from groaning and rubbing his forehead at the obviousness of the little mechanism he'd tripped. We'll just leave that part out of the ballad...

"I'm going to see if this opens up those passages in the corners again. Let's all keep an eye out for, uh, anything new," he calls out. He then delicately pushes the switch/rod and releases it, mimicking the motion of when the statue's head is opened and closed.

//Prone discussion: Ranged attacks get disadvantage when performed at melee range (barring certain feats), so standing next to a prone target to shoot them cancels out.

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    I feel like I need to interject here with an Are you sure? Because maybe you are missing something.

The switch nestled in with the rings is NOT the switch that triggered the Drowned Ghouls. This is a different switch. That does something else.

• Options
    //I feel myself freezing over my keyboard in much the same way a character might when the voice of God booms out in their head. Okay, if that isn't connected to the ghoul trap, I'm a little at a loss as to what it might control. The wall locking us in here, maybe?
    Worse, I'm worried about why you'd feel the need to warn us about it. I open the floor up to the other players: any suggestions as to why I shouldn't use this switch, other than the GM telling us not to?

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    "How's about we go eat some manky fish and THEN press the button?"

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Bursar wrote: »
    //I feel myself freezing over my keyboard in much the same way a character might when the voice of God booms out in their head. Okay, if that isn't connected to the ghoul trap, I'm a little at a loss as to what it might control. The wall locking us in here, maybe?
    Worse, I'm worried about why you'd feel the need to warn us about it. I open the floor up to the other players: any suggestions as to why I shouldn't use this switch, other than the GM telling us not to?

I missed the part about ranged getting disadvantage, but I guess my point stands that you can cancel it out by engaging and do so with minimal risk if you stay near the tank.

Technically the DM didn't say you shouldn't... he just asked if you were sure. =P Maybe it activates a 1 way portal back to the Inn and he's asking if we are sure because we may want to take Angus and co with us first!

Or it drains the room into the second floor of the dungeon and we all die a horrible death.

"The tiefling is on to something. Before pressing more buttons, maybe we should rest and eat. If it ends up releasing more of those things, we should be ready for them."

am0n on
  • Options
    Well, lets review...

There are things out there in dungeon, at least 98% of which want to kill you, rob you, and probably suck the marrow out of your bones.

You entered the area and became trapped as a massive stone wall crashed down behind you with an earth shattering kaboom that could be heard for miles around. Probably drawing at least some of those things to the area. This was mentioned.

You've been farting around exploring the temple, fishing and fighting the Ghouls for, what, an hour? Maybe less? Maybe not enough time for whatever has come sniffing to get bored and go away.

2/5 of the Party are in their underwear.

All I'm saying that maybe you might wanna put some pants on before adventuring some more this day. :biggrin:

Also...I think you should make a choice on whether or not you are resting here, or try to make it back up to the Yawning Portal before you get that Long Rest in.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    // let it not be said that I don't have two brain cells to rub together when given a second chance...

Edit: "Sotto voce" means "megaphone," right?
    :P

Barran's finger hovers over the switch, but the smell of sizzling seafood wafting in from around the corner overpowers his taste for adventure.

"Right. Looks like we've got it pretty cushy in here for the moment, at least by 'madman wizard dungeon' standards. I'm willing to tuck a professionally cooked meal under my belt before I do anything stupid... [Size=tiny]er than I already have today.[/size]"

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    I am not advocating a full rest. More of a "let's just finish the meal plot arc" and then we push the button. Also, put on some pants! Angus is already making the sausage.

am0n on
  • Options
    Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    "I, for one, am curious what Neblin and Angus can do with a giant fish," says Philo as his stomach audibly rumbles.

• Options
    // My AC is the same whether I'm wearing a robe or not! UNDERWEAR WARRIOR!

Sal makes a mental note of once again being reduced to his race.
    Ay will one day rue his haphazard comments!
    *mentally shakes fist*

• Options
    edited August 2017
    One day Ay and Sal will get along. Until then...

Tiefling...

Elf...

am0n on
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    I've always found it amusing how casually racist fantasy the genre is. I do it too, probably for the same reason shitty writers all over do it. Because its an easy descriptor to use.

You commonly see things like "The Elf drew his sword.....the Dwarf stroked his beard.....the Orc grunted....." in fantasy writing. Now imagine if you wrote this.... "The Black Guy drew his sword.....the Asian stroked his beard.....the Latino grunted...." It doesn't sound so nice anymore, does it. :)

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    //I think using race as a descriptor works; calling someone by it doesn't.

A dripping wet Salazar fires up a bonfire and dries himself before robing.
    Fish was never his favorite, and this particular specimen is rather salty and poorly seasoned.
    "Sooo is this what the drow like or is this deep-gnomish cuisine you're serving?"

• Options
    Yeah...its weird. I would never write anything like "The South Asian opened the car door for his Arab girlfriend." That's terrible and mildly offensive. But for some reason, something like "The Elf leaned down from the carriage and lent an arm his to Tiefling companion." is A-OK to me.

ANYWAY! Where were we?

Clearly, Salazar wants to rest right now and Philo is OK with that. Ay wants to return to the surface. What do Dural and Barran say?

• Options
    Barran would be more than happy to get some rest in this relatively secure area.

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    The group meets back up in the central room of the complex, debating on what to do next while they warm and dry themselves around the fire that Neblin and Angus had constructed using the remains of the goblin-cum-bait's former nest. Thoughtfully, Angus has remembered there was a spring of clean water in the maze of halls here and has managed to fill up enough left over adventurers helms with clean water to cook with, and to wash away at least some of the accumulated filth.

Neblin is hard and work scaling and butchering the Gar, his cooking utensils and collection of rare Underdark spices arrayed about him in a precise mis-en-place. Angus is almost as hard at work keeping the fire going and trying to anticipate Neblin's needs, as a proper sous-chef would. Which is difficult when Angus can't quite understand what he is saying. The little chef really does take his job seriously. And Salazar, if he keeps hovering over the filets as they are being prepped and wrinkling his nose in distaste at the amount of seasoning used, is likely to catch a paring knife in his tender spots.

The decision finally made, the party makes camp here in a sealed Temple. Settling down, the stink of fish slowly gives way to the aroma of exotic deliciousness. In the meantime, the more arcane minded of you finally sit down and figure out what is what in your amassed loot. After a delicious meal, for once feeling secure in your surroundings (and setting a reasonable watch schedule), you settle down for a nice, long, rest.

Hooray! You've survived another day in Undermountain!

Here is a list of the unclaimed treasure you've earned so far. All unknown items have been identified. And if anyone wants to claim and use them, consider yourselves as having enough time to attune them. Update your character sheets on mythweavers and I'll take them off my list.

1 Mysterious 12" dia. glowing orb & crystal control rod
    A scroll case with 3 scrolls: Dispel Magic, Gaseous Form & Fireball
    500 gold pieces
    1 Potion of Healing
    1 Potion of Barkskin
    Gloves of Swimming and Climbing
    Wand of Web
    1 Fine but Mundane Cloak (50gp value)
    1 Fine but Mundane Gold Ring (200gp value)
    1 Ring of Warmth
    1 Ring of Water Breathing

XP Total: 4500/6500

• Options
    edited August 2017
    @Steelhawk What does the Ring of Water Breathing do? I can't find that anywhere.

As for the other items, we should probably try to find them homes, since attunement requires time.

Looks like Ring of Warmth gives you cold resistance. Could probably be useful on anyone.

Gloves of Swimming and Climbing makes it so Swimming and Climbing don't cost twice as much movement and you get a +5 to Athletics. I can see that being useful on a tank (for better mobility) or our weakest party member to help with climbing.

@Steelhawk is the Potion of Healing extra? Because I know I still have a few on my person. If so, we should probably give it to someone who doesn't have any.

Same with the scrolls and wand. Probably makes sense to determine who is holding them, since we have I think two people capable of casting spells (or can anyone cast spells in this edition?).

am0n on
  • Options
    Philo sighs in contentment, picking his teeth with his knife. "That," he says to Neblin, "was a fine fish."

Nothing on the list screams "Philo" to me, so I'll let others pick first. If nobody takes them, either of the rings or the pair of gloves wouldn't be bad to have.

• Options
    am0n wrote: »
    @Steelhawk What does the Ring of Water Breathing do? I can't find that anywhere.

It lets you breathe under water.

• Options
    Just the person wearing it I assume? I ask because the spell Water Breathing you cast on up to 10 people, so I didn't know if it was an permanent worn effect, or something with a "spell" you could cast every so often or something.

• Options
    Just the person wearing it I assume? I ask because the spell Water Breathing you cast on up to 10 people, so I didn't know if it was an permanent worn effect, or something with a "spell" you could cast every so often or something.

Nope. Its an old school item. Put it on, and you can breathe under water. Simple as that.

Magic bubble of air around your face? Gills forming on your neck? The fluff of it is up to you!

• Options
    // i'd like to do a potion count, also 150g of that 500 is tied up in my (mis)fortune biscuit.

• Options
    Right. You asked about that potion. That last healing potion and the barkskin potion were from the Chest you managed to get out of the Stirge room. The one that was stuck to Dural's foot.

All of the other ones that were bought and/or found were divvyed up amongst you. I trust you guys to keep track of your own shit. :) And I call down Geth's wrath on those who "cheat" the potion tally.

• Options
    Ay has three potions still, so he is good.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Dural raises a water skin in agreement with Philo, smacking his stomach with his free hand and letting out a curt belch. "Fine indeed, given the typical fare you'd otherwise find in a dark dungeon such o'this." Wandering about the camp during their time resting, he'll eventually make his way over to the currently assembled pile of loot, his eye drawn to the slightly embroidered gloves, testing and stretching them while admiring their durability.

I'm partial to the Gloves of Swimming & Climbing given my slower-than-typical speed.

My sheet also tells me 2 potions, which I believe was recently updated from when we last checked potions.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Barran smacks his lips in the traditional halfling manner and tries to use hand signals to communicate to Neblin the idea that he quite enjoyed the food while simultaneously being surprised that such a fine meal could be found with so few resources. Neblin, for his part, sneers and rolls his eyes in a way that pretty clearly indicates Of course it's good, idiot, I made it.

I currently have Barran down as carrying the scroll case with the three scrolls (Dispel Magic / Gaseous Form / Fireball), and is in possession of one fine if smelly cloak from the goblin. I don't know if there is one cloak listed because there only was one, or because only Barran bothered to take one from the pile available.

I spent a while and reread everything since the last time the party returned to the Portal, and I believe that Barran currently has no potions.

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Bursar wrote: »
    Barran smacks his lips in the traditional halfling manner and tries to use hand signals to communicate to Neblin the idea that he quite enjoyed the food while simultaneously being surprised that such a fine meal could be found with so few resources. Neblin, for his part, sneers and rolls his eyes in a way that pretty clearly indicates Of course it's good, idiot, I made it.

I currently have Barran down as carrying the scroll case with the three scrolls (Dispel Magic / Gaseous Form / Fireball), and is in possession of one fine if smelly cloak from the goblin. I don't know if there is one cloak listed because there only was one, or because only Barran bothered to take one from the pile available.

I spent a while and reread everything since the last time the party returned to the Portal, and I believe that Barran currently has no potions.

Yes. There were two cloaks, and you have one. So this one is extra.

I thought you might have had the scrolls, good to know for sure. Now that you have confirmed then I remember Sal claiming the wand.

You should take that potion then too, unless someone objects.

I'll update the list tomorrow.

Steelhawk on
  • Options

Updated Loot!

Claimed!
    A scroll case with 3 scrolls: Dispel Magic, Gaseous Form & Fireball - Barran
    500 gold pieces - Everyone BUT Salazar add 100 GP to your totals
    1 Potion of Healing - Barran
    Gloves of Swimming and Climbing - Dural
    Wand of Web - Salazar

Unclaimed!
    1 Potion of Barkskin
    1 Ring of Warmth
    1 Ring of Water Breathing

Other

XP Total: 4500/6500 to Reach 5th Level

• Options
    edited September 2017
    If no one else will claim it, I'll take the Ring of Water Breathing. Seems like something someone should have on them. Just in case. If someone else ever wants it, we can swap, but I'd hate to see a situation arise where it could benefit us and we'd have to take a 2 hour break to use it.

am0n on
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Anyone going to claim the Ring of Warmth?

Ring, uncommon (requires attunement)

While wearing this ring, you have resistance to cold damage. In addition, you and everything you wear and carry are unharmed by temperatures as low as −50 degrees Fahrenheit.

am0n on
  • Options
    I'll take the Ring of Warmth if nobody else wants it.

• Options
    DONE!

Next question...are you taking Angus and Neblin back up the Well before heading back to deal with Lady Zarr?

Steelhawk wrote: »

Updated Loot!

Claimed!
    A scroll case with 3 scrolls: Dispel Magic, Gaseous Form & Fireball - Barran
    500 gold pieces - Everyone BUT Salazar add 100 GP to your totals
    1 Potion of Healing - Barran
    Gloves of Swimming and Climbing - Dural
    Wand of Web - Salazar
    1 Ring of Water Breathing - Ay
    1 Ring of Warmth -Philo

Unclaimed!
    1 Potion of Barkskin

Other

XP Total: 4500/6500 to Reach 5th Level

• Options
    If they would rather not be in here, then yes, I'd like to take them back up. Maybe the Inn could use the help of some new cooks?

• Options
    If they would rather not be in here, then yes, I'd like to take them back up. Maybe the Inn could use the help of some new cooks?

Heh. You've read my mind. For Neblin at least. Angus is a drunkard who has a job cleaning Watersdeep's sewers to go back do. He's not useless with an axe, but neither of these guys are Adventurers.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    // I really can't remember spending any pots, so going to leave the two I have on my sheet and keep better track of it. Does Sal know how many charges the wand has atm? He might also need to test it, to get a feel for it. Perhaps while Ay is sleeping..

"Say, Dural, you consider yourself strong, do you not?
    Perhaps you could help me test this wand.
    I'd like to see just how strong the webbing is.. would you mind?"

evilthecat on