As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What happens to a phone without a contract?

azith28azith28 Registered User regular

So I've currently got a Note 3 with AT&T and my contract is up as of a month or so ago (still paying month by month). My work has just handed me a brand new iphone 6..and I'm considering saving the money by dropping the AT&T bill. What I'm curious about is how the note would behave if i no longer was connected to AT&T. Would it act like a tablet would with a wifi connection or would it not let me use any of the apps on it right now at all anymore? If it becomes useless then I'm considering just buying a tablet, moving all my apps on that, and running that off the iphones hotspot (does the iphone even do the hotspot thing? Silly question but if it does, it doesnt have to be an ipad to connect right, it can be android/windows tablet?).

Also, I know the new note without the accessible battery/storage expansion is not being viewed happily...is the sale value of the note 3 still pretty good?

Thanks

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    yes, it'll work just fine on wifi only.

I don't think it'll have a ton of resale value as it's close to 3 years old now. You'll get *something* for it, but the age means it won't have a ton of value.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    yes, it'll work just fine on wifi only.

I don't think it'll have a ton of resale value as it's close to 3 years old now. You'll get *something* for it, but the age means it won't have a ton of value.

To add to this, I don't even have a SIM card in either of my two legacy Windows Phones (an HTC Arrive and a Nokia 925) and they both work just fine on wifi (I still use them for browsing and backup Skype devices).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I used a contractless Iphone 5c as a PDA for a while, and it worked fine.